War Diary: 6th Motor Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS, Jan - Dec 1943

Discussion in 'The Brigade of Guards' started by dbf, Jun 26, 2011.

  1. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Name: Leadbeater, Worrall Reginald
    Rank: Captain, Chaplain to the Forces
    Service No: 131945
    Regiment: Royal Army Chaplain's Department attached 6 Motor Battalion Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Military Cross
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 19 August 1943
    Date: 1943
    Catalogue reference: WO 373/25
    Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 11.52.51.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Name: Smith, Ernest
    Rank: Serjeant
    Service No: 2611610
    Regiment: 6 Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Military Medal
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 19 August 1943
    Date: 1943
    Catalogue reference: WO 373/25

    Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 12.01.57.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Name: Delebecque, Sidney
    Rank: Serjeant
    Service No: 2614185
    Regiment: 6 Motor Battalion Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Distinguished Conduct Medal
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 19 August 1943
    Date: 1943
    Catalogue reference: WO 373/25
    Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 11.54.54.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

    Name: Harrison, John
    Rank: Serjeant
    Service No: 2612643
    Regiment: 6 Motor Battalion Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Distinguished Conduct Medal
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 19 August 1943
    Date: 1943
    Catalogue reference: WO 373/25
    Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 11.56.31.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Name: Adey, Henry
    Rank: Paid Lance Corporal
    Service No: 2621074
    Regiment: 6 Motor Battalion Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Military Medal
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 19 August 1943
    Date: 1943
    Catalogue reference: WO 373/25
    Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 11.58.57.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    From WO 169/10165

    17 March 1943
    The Battalion was reformed under Major W.H. KINGSMILL, M.C into Battalion HQ, HQ Group (M.M.G. Platoon, Carrier Platoon, Mortar Platoon) No. 1 Motor Company, No. 2 Anti-Tank Company.

    18 March 1943
    The Battalion position was shelled in the morning and afternoon - there were four casualties.
    In the evening Battalion HQ was shelled with the result of two vehicles being damaged.

    19 March 1943
    Intermittent shelling of the Battalion position.
    0820 hours
    Brigadier J.A. GASCOIGNE and 201st GUARDS BRIGADE visited the Battalion. [Click here - from post 6 for his report]
    1200 hours
    The Commanding Officer went to BRIGADE HQ to meet Lieutenant General Commanding 10 CORPS.
    The BRIGADE was now under 10 CORPS.

    20 March 1943
    Lieutenant C.B. OLDFIELD joined the Battalion from No. 2 I.T.D. (First Reinforcements).
    Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON returned from BRIGADE HQ where he had been Intelligence Officer to the Battalion and took over the duties of Signal Officer.
    Last day for main attack on the MARETH LINE.

    21 March 1943
    Divine Services were held by groups.
    Captains the Viscount ANSON and P.C. BRITTEN were promoted to Major.

    21 March 1943
    Lieutenant E.B.M. VAUGHAN was promoted to Captain.
    ‘B’ Echelon was machine-gunned by an enemy plane.

    22 March 1943
    No. 3 (Motor) Company was formed under Captain A. THORNE.
    2200 hours
    Enemy plane machine-gunned Battalion HQ area. No casualties to personnel or vehicles.

    Lieutenant I. MONCRIEFF BROWN joined the Battalion from 30 CORPS HQ (Provost).

    23 March 1943
    2100 hours
    The Battalion moved to area South-West of MARETH and took over from 7th LONDON RIFLE BRIGADE. Positions improved during the nigh.

    24 March 1943
    Intermittent shelling of Battalion position.
    Sergeant COX was killed by a shell which hit a tree near an Anti-Tank gun position. Sergeant HENDRON was wounded by this shell.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    :poppy: Serjeant SIDNEY COX 2611193, 6th Bn., Grenadier Guards who died on 24 March 1943
    Remembered with honour SFAX WAR CEMETERY
    Grave/Memorial Reference: II. BB. 14.

    25 March 1943
    Enemy shelling and mortar fire during night.
    Fire fell about 800 yards from No. 3 Company.

    26 March 1943
    The Battalion was to be relieved by 9th Battalion DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY during night 26th.
    Advance Party from DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY shown the Battalion position.

    27 March 1943
    0010 hours
    The Battalion was relieved by 9th Battalion DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY and moved to take up a defensive position in area ZEMLET EL LEBENE (6087).
    The Battalion spent the night digging in.
    0700 hours
    A Portee of No. 2 Company wen over a mine and a wheel was blown off.
    By day 2 Carriers did an armoured Recce Patrol and by night Lieuetenant I MONCRIEFF BROWN led a Fighting Patrol but did not contact the enemy.

    28 March 1943
    Divine Service was held by groups.
    The Battalion moved to area West of MARETH and began the task of clearing a route of mines so as to let 7th ARMOURED DIVISION pass through.
    Captain Honourable W.N. VILLIERS with 20 GRENADIERS and a party of Sappers cleared mines from the route during the night.

    29 March 1943
    The Battalion spent the day in carrying out improvements to the track.
    No. 1 Company Scout Car hit a mine and blew up. Two Guardsmen were injured.
    The Chaplain Captain the Reverend R. LEADBEATER and a party of men went to the HORSESHOE area (Battalion Battle Area 16/17 March) where they buried personnel of the Battalion who had been killed.

    30 March 1943
    ‘A’ Echelon joined the Battalion
    Day of maintenance and washing.
  7. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    1943 April 1
    0700 hours
    The Battalion moved by M.T. to an area North West of GABES (Appendix A)
    Roads were very congested.
    1900 hours
    The Battalion moved from assembly area and took over part of the line between the coast road and the sea from a New Zealand Battalion of the NEW ZEALAND DIVISION. One vehicle of 1 Company was damaged by a mine which was on the route. This delayed matters as the Battalion then thought they were on the wrong route. The Battalion dug in by night.

    1943 April 2
    A position about a mile further forward was recce’d and occupied after dark.
    Digging in during the night.
    During the day there were several aerial combats.

    1943 April 3
    Intermittent shelling of the Battalion position.
    2100 hours
    Three trucks of No. 1 Company drove down the road past the guide into the enemy F.D.Ls. Leading vehicle was blown up on a mine. All personnel escaped, two being injured when fire M.G.s opened up on them. The vehicles were lost.

    1943 April 4
    0330 hours
    An enemy patrol consisting of one Officer and 10-12 German Other Ranks approached a Section position of No. 1 Company. The patrol was allowed to get within 10 yards of the Section before the Section Commander order the Bren Gunner to fire. The Bren Gun jammed and never fired. The other men of the Section got off 3 rounds from their rifles and one German was seen to be hit. The Section then failed to make further contact with the patrol.
    'A’ Echelon was bombed. 3 casualties to personnel and 2 vehicles damaged.
    2200 hours
    Captain the Honourable W.N. VILLIERS led a fighting patrol to try to mop up an enemy M.G. nest. The patrol had Artillery and M.G. fire support but on arrival at the post they found that it had been vacated. They heard digging on the far side of the WADI and were fire on by Tommy Guns. The whole patrol returned safely.

    1943 April 5
    Intermittent shelling of the Battalion area during the morning.

    1943 April 6
    0415 hours
    The main attack began. The Battalion role was deception to keep enemy forces pinned down on the coastal sector.
    0515 hours
    M.G. Platoon put down harrassing fire and the Mortars put down a smoke screen and then fired into the WADI AKARET.
    1400 hours
    The Carrier Platoon under Lieutenant C.B. OLDFIELD went forward to the WADI AKARET and met heavy mortar fire. Lieutenant C.B. OLDFIELD was wounded in the arm.

    1943 April 7
    0800 hours
    The Battalion moved forward to the WADI AKARET and began to clear the crossing and fill two craters in the road. This job was later taken over by the SOUTH AFRICANs and the Battalion advanced to a position about 10 miles North to hold a position astride the Main Road. The Carriers, Anti-Tank guns and M.G.s held the position while the remainder of the Battalion close leaguered.

    1943 April 8
    Parties went down to the see to bathe.

    1943 April 9
    0530 hours
    The Battalion moved up to the BRIGADE Leaguer area about 7 miles North where it adopted Desert Formation and awaited the order to move.
    1615 hours
    There was no move till 1615 hours when the BRIGADE moved North along tracks in column. The Battalion finally reached a leaguer area about 30 miles South of SFAX at 2400 hours.

    1943 April 10
    0700 hours
    The Battalion moved for leaguer area with the BRIGADE to area 7 miles North of SFAX.

    1943 April 11
    1000 hours
    Battalion was now in a rest area. Divine Service was held by the CHAPLAIN Captain The Reverend W.R. LEADBEATER, CF.
    Diverse maintenance in the morning and personal maintenance in the afternoon. The Battalion found a Guard in an enemy stores train.

    1943 April 12
    0830 hours
    The Battalion paraded under the Adjutant. Subaltern Officers attended.
    1000 hours
    Lieutenant General Sir Oliver LEESE Bt, CBE DSO visited the Battalion and spoke to the Battalion on operations by the 8th ARMY from TRIPOLI up to the present time. He pointed out the importance of the part played by 201st GUARDS BRIGADE and by the Battalion. He was afterwards introduced to Officers of the Battalion.
    1215 hours
    The Battalion moved to area ?7956 about 7 miles North up the Main Road.

    1943 April 13
    0800 hours
    The Battalion less 1 Company paraded under the Adjutant for Drill.

    1943 April 14
    0730 hours
    The Battalion moved to an area about 17 miles South West of SOUSSE. (Appendix B )
    1730 hours
    Major General KIRKMAN Commanding 50 DIVISION visited the Battalion.

    1943 April 15
    1100 hours
    The Battalion found a Guard of Honour under command of Major P. MARSHAM MBE with Major P.C. BRITTEN, Captain The Honorable W.N. VILLIERS and 100 Other Ranks. The Guard was mounted in SOUSEE for the official entry of 8th ARMY Command. General Sir B.L. MONTGOMERY inspected the Guard.

    1943 April 16
    1715 hours
    The Battalion moved to about 2 miles South of ENFIDAVILLE where it took over after dark a sector of the line from 5 N.Z. BRIGADE.
    Owing to the enemy being in the high ground and the Battalion position being on the open flat country only “jeeps” were kept in the Battalion area.
    No. 3 Company transport was shelled while moving back to ‘A’ Echelon area, but there were no casualties.

    1943 April 17
    Intermittent shelling of the Battalion area.

    1943 April 18
    1130 hours
    The Battalion was dive bombed by 12 enemy planes. No casualties. Battalion H.Q. and M.G. Platoon had near misses.
    1945 hours
    A Patrol of 3 Carriers was sent to ENFIDAVILLE to try to draw fire and find out in what strength the village was held. Owing to one Carrier getting bogged the Patrol was unable to complete its task.

    1943 April 19
    0800 hours
    Carrier Patrol to ENFIDAVILLE had to return owing to heavy shelling.
    2300 hours
    The main attack began.

    1943 April 20
    0630 hours
    A Carrier Patrol under Sergeant ?POLLARD entered ENFIDAVILLE. They were the first troops to enter the village.
    1200 hours
    The Battalion moved to an area one mile North of ENFIDAVILLE where it took over a sector of the line. On the way a truck and a 6-pounder gun went up on a mine.
    1900 hours
    No. 3 Company had 5 vehicle casualties from shelling and mortar fire.

    1943 April 21
    Intermittent shelling and mortaring of the Battalion area.

    1943 April 22
    Intermittent shelling and mortaring of the Battalion area.
    2100 hours
    Lieutenant I.M BROWN led a Fighting Patrol to suspected enemy positions just North of DJ. DAR DJAJE. They had a hand to hand grenade fight and it is believed inflicted some casualties. They suffered no casualties themselves.

    1943 April 23
    A Standing Patrol consisting of the Scout Platoon was sent by day to DAR DJAJE.
    2145 hours
    The Battalion moved forward 3 miles and took up a defensive position as Battalion in reserve to the BRIGADE.

    1943 April 24
    Intermittent shelling of the Battalion area.
    A large field of peas and beans was found near Battalion H.Q. which was made use of.

    1943 April 25
    The CHAPLAIN held Holy Communion Services with all Companies.
    A very hot day.

    1943 April 26
    2300 hours
    Shelling and mortaring of the Forward Companies.
    Our own Artillery were firing concentrations to distract the enemy’s attention from the West.

    1943 April 27
    2200 hours
    No.s 1 and 3 Companies were relieved and moved back about 600 yards to add depth to the defence.

    1943 April 28
    201st GUARDS BRIGADE attack on features South of WADI GASTLA (3592) was postponed for 24 hours.

    1943 April 29
    Lieutenant Colonel A.F.L. CLIVE, M.C. rejoined the Battalion from hospital.
    201st GUARDS BRIGADE attack as for 28th April was postponed for 24 hours.

    1943 April 30
    The Battalion was relieved by 169 BRIGADE and did a night drive to a leaguer area 15 miles South of ENFIDAVILLE.
    Lieutenant A.F.L. CLIVE, M.C. left for G.H.Q. N. AFRICA to discuss the situation about reinforcements for the various Battalions of 201st GUARDS BRIGADE.
  8. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Tunisia, 1st Army
    1943 May 1
    0800 hours
    The Battalion began its move to 1st ARMY.
    It leaguered for the night about 10 miles West of KAIROUAN instead of at SBEITLA owing to the very heavy congestion on the roads.

    1943 May 2
    0810 hours
    The Battalion moved to leaguer area 6 miles North of LE KIEF.
    The Commanding Officer rejoined the Battalion from his visit to General The Honourable H.R.L.G. ALEXANDER.

    1943 May 3
    1100 hours
    The Battalion moved to area 10 miles South of MEDJEZ EL BAB where it leaguered.
    Lieutenant Colonel A.G. HEBER PERCY and Officers of the 3rd Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS visited the Battalion.
    The BRIGADE was no in 6th ARMOURED DIVISION (1st ARMY).

    1943 May 4
    Reorganisation of the Battalion into Battalion H.Q., No. 1 (Motor) Company, No. 2 (Anti-Tank) Company and No. 3 (Support) Company.
    The Battalion went into K.D.
    Officers and men of the Battalion visited the 3rd Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS.

    1943 May 5
    The Battalion prepared for the main attack to be made up the TUNIS Road. (Appendix A). 201st GUARDS BRIGADE was under 6th ARMOURED DIVISION .
    1400 hours
    The Commanding Officer held a Conference for all Officers and Commanders of troops under command.

    1943 May 6
    0830 hours
    The Battalion with units under command moved forward along the axis of advance. (Order of Battle Appendix B Click here )
    Routes were very congested and when 1st GUARDS BRIGADE were put in the same axis matters were even worse. The Battalion drove most of the night and then leagured till dawn. Main Battalion H.Q. leaguered for the night with Main BRIGADE H.Q.
    There was some shelling of the route and one truck belonging to 158 L.A.A. Battery was hit.

    1943 May 7
    The Battalion moved forward at dawn and took up a position facing South West to keep open the corridor made by the armour.
    Part of the position was taken over from 3rd GRENADIER GUARDS.
    Main Battalion H.Q. joined the Battalion and the Battalion moved 7 miles toward TUNIS and leaguered for the night 3 miles South of the TUNIS Road.

    1943 May 8
    0230 hours
    The Battalion moved about 15 miles to take up a position in the high hills North West of TUNIS. Captain The Reverend W.R. LEADBEATER (Chaplain) and Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON went out in search of booty; they returned with a two seater car which the CHAPLAIN kept and a six seater vehicle for REGIMENTAL POLICE.
    1330 hours
    The Battalion moved to a leaguer area about 6 miles South East of TUNIS.
    An enemy store was found in buildings in the Battalion area. The Battalion benefitted from this by getting weapons, clothing a battery charging unit and some food. A three ton captured covered lorry was brought in and afterwards used as a canteen vehicle.

    1943 May 9
    Day of rest and maintenance in leaguer.

    1943 May 10
    0430 hours
    The Battalion moved to an area 2 miles East of HAMMAN LIF where No. 1 Company with the Scout Platoon under command moved up onto the hills to the South of the road. In doing this they took about 500 prisoners, all Germans. German vehicles and many arms.
    1800 hours
    The Battalion moved in 201st GUARDS BRIGADE column by night with the object of securing the road HAMMAN LIF - HAMMAMET thus cutting off the retreat of German forces opposing 8th ARMY South of HAMMAMET. The advance of the BRIGADE was held up about 10 miles from HAMMAMET by two bridges that had been blown.

    1943 May 11
    The Battalion found a Working Party to fill up the Wadi beds where the bridges had been blown. The Battalion crossed the Wadis at about 0700 hours and moved to an area about 2 miles North West of HAMMAMET where it took up a defensive position as there were still some enemy offering resistance to 8th ARMY in the hills North West of BOU FICHA; there was also supposed to be some remnants of the enemy in the hills North of HAMMAMET. A Patrol consisting of the Scout Platoon entered HAMMAMET at approximately 1000 hours and took 15 Italian prisoners and 2 Italian D.R.s on motor bicycles.

    1943 May 12
    The Commanding Officer had arranged that the Battalion should do a drive of the hills in front and that the Scout Platoon were to act as stops; this unfortunately never came off as the Battalion was ordered to move to take over a position about 6 miles North of BOU FICHA from 1st GUARDS BRIGADE as there were still a few of the enemy in the hills West of BOU FICHA.
    Major A.J.E. GORDON and Lieutenant C.B. OLDFIELD rejoined the Battalion from hospital.
    Major GORDON was attached to 201st GUARDS BRIGADE AS Liaison Officer.
    Victory Message (APPENDIX C)

    1943 May 13
    The Battalion moved to a leaguer area by the sea about 6 miles North of BOU FICHA.

    1943 May 14
    0900 hours
    The Commanding Officer spoke to the Battalion. He reviewed the past and gave an outline of what the future might hold. (Order of Battle Appendix D Click here )
    25 men per company visited TUNIS daily.
    Kit inspections and bathing.
    Officers of the Battalion (except for one per Company) attended a BRIGADE OF GUARDS Dinner at NABEUL (N. TUNISIA). 191 Officers attended from 1st, 24th and 201st GUARDS BRIGADES. All Regiments of Foot Guards were represented at the dinner.
    Major The Viscount ANSON, Lieutenant J.H. NEVINSON and Captain A. WINDER (R.A.M.C.) whilst out driving in a captured vehicle ran over a mine. The vehicle was completely wrecked. Captain WINDER was admitted to hospital with an injured leg; Major ANSON and Lieutenant NEVINSON were unhurt.
    The Battalion found a Guard on a German M.D.S. The Guards consisted of one Platoon from 2 Company commanded by Captain E.B.M. VAUGHAN.

    1943 May 15
    The Battalion carried out a salvage drive.

    1943 May 16
    1000 hours
    There was an explosion in 2 Company area from an enemy time bomb which resulted in three men being killed and five including [2614843] C.S.M. L. BURRELL being wounded.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    :poppy: Guardsman FREDERICK DUNNETT 2616382, 6th Bn., Grenadier Guards who died age 23 on 16 May 1943
    Son of William and Bertha Amy Dunnett, of Derby.
    Remembered with honour ENFIDAVILLE WAR CEMETERY
    Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 28.

    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    :poppy: Guardsman GORDON ARCHIBALD JOSEPH KEEN 2612195, 6th Bn., Grenadier Guards who died age 32 on 16 May 1943
    Son of Albert and Ethel Augustus Miriam Keen, of Theydon Bois, Essex; husband of May Keen, of Theydon Bois.
    Remembered with honour ENFIDAVILLE WAR CEMETERY
    Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 29.

    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    :poppy: Guardsman JOHN ALAN SPENCER 2621364, 6th Bn., Grenadier Guards who died age 29
    on 16 May 1943
    Son of Thomas Elijah and Eleanor Hannah Spencer; husband of Elsie May Spencer, of Bromborough, Cheshire.
    Remembered with honour ENFIDAVILLE WAR CEMETERY
    Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 27.

    Victory Message Appendix E

    1943 May 17
    0900 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Commanding Officer. All Officers attended.
    All enemy captured weapons, equipment and vehicles were sent to the enemy salvage dump.

    1943 May 18
    0900 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Acting Adjutant (Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON)
    Struck out: The Battalion sent out a patrol to try to locate 4 Germans who were hiding in the hills and who had shot at a BRIGADE signaller. The patrol failed to find the Germans.

    1943 May 19
    1130 hours
    A party of 4 Officers and 90 Other Ranks under Major P.W. MARSHAM, MBE, proceeded to TUNIS to take part in the VICTORY MARCH.
    The remainder of 1 and 3 Companies with some of 2 Company proceeded to BONE to guard a Prisoner of War Camp.

    1943 May 20
    General clean up of the Battalion area.
    1100 hours
    Personnel of the Battalion took part in the VICTORY MARCH at TUNIS (See May 19)

    1943 May 21
    0640 hours
    Battalion H.Q. and the remainder of the Battalion proceeded to TABARKA via TUNIS where it stayed for the night. Personnel bathed.

    1943 May 22
    0800 hours
    Battalion H.Q. rejoined the Battalion at BONE.

    1943 May 23
    0930 hours
    The Battalion paraded under the Commanding Officer for Divine Service (Special Victory Service).
    1230 hours
    The Battalion found 3 Prisoner of War Escorts consisting of one Officer and 20 Other Ranks on ships proceeding to ALGIERS and ORAN.

    1943 May 24
    The Battalion found 2 Prisoner of War Escorts as above.
    (Personal Message from G.O.C. 6th ARMOURED DIVISION, Appendix F)

    1943 May 25
    1700 hours
    Major C. EARLE joined the Battalion from Staff appointment 1st ARMY .

    1943 May 26
    Brigadier J.A. GASCOIGNE commanding 201st GUARDS MOT BRIGADE and Major M. GRIFFITHS-JONES (DAA & QMG 201st GUARDS MOT. BRIGADE) visited the Battalion.

    1943 May 27
    0800 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Adjutant. Subaltern Officers attended.

    1943 May 28
    0830 hours
    No. 1 Company (Comd. Major P.W MARSHAM) went for a practice convoy drive. They took with them naval ratings from H.M.S. PENELOPE.

    1943 May 29
    0800 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Commanding Officer.
    The Commanding Officer drilled the Battalion
    1030 hours
    The Commanding Officer inspected Company lines.

    1943 May 30
    1600 hours
    A draft from U.K. consisting of Captain E.T. COOK, Lieutenant R.J.V. WESTMACOTT, Lieutenant STOKES ROBERTS and 35 Other Ranks arrived.
    They also brought with them 18 Other Ranks who were battle or hospital casualties from the Battalion.

    1943 May 31
    0930 hours
    A Battalion Rifle Meeting was held on the BONE range. (Appendix G)

    Attached Files:

  9. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    6th Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS, 6th May - 12th May 1943.

    Lieutenant Colonel A.F.L. CLIVE, M.C. - Commanding Officer
    Major W.H. KINGSMILL, M.C. - Second-in-Command
    Captain the Master of FORBES - Adjutant
    Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON - Intelligence Officer
    Lieutenant R.A. KENNARD - Signal Officer
    Captain A. WINDER, R.A.M.C. - Medical Officer
    Captain the Reverend W.R. LEADBEATER, R.A.Ch.D. - Chaplain

    Major P.W. MARSHAM, M.B.E. - Company Commander
    Lieutenant J. PEARSON GREGORY - Platoon Commander
    Lieutenant I.M. BROWN - Platoon Commander
    Lieutenant W. HACKETT PAIN - Platoon Commander

    Captain P.C. BRITTEN - Company Commander
    Captain E.B.M. VAUGHAN - Platoon Commander

    Major R.H. LOMER, M.B.E. - Company Commander
    Lieutenant J.H. NEVINSON - Second-in-Command
    2620294 Sergeant H. POLLARD - Scout Platoon
    5332912 Sergeant R. KEW - M.M.G. Platoon
    2614778 Sergeant B. REID - Mortar Platoon

    Major The Viscount ANSON - Commander
    Captain R.S. HEBELER - Technical Adjutant

    Lieutenant B.H. PRATT - Quartermaster
    Lieutenant F.R. PHILLIPS, R.E.M.E. - E.M.E.

    Captain A. THORNE
    Captain The Honourable W.N. VILLIERS
    Captain F.N.P. OSBORNE
  10. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    6th Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS, 14th May 1943.

    Lieutenant Colonel A.F.L. CLIVE, MC. - Commanding Officer
    Major W.H. KINGSMILL, M.C. - Second-in-Command
    Captain the Master of FORBES - Adjutant
    Captain R.S. HEBELER - Technical Adjutant
    Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON - Intelligence Officer
    2612833 R.S.M. F. DOWLING
    2609443 R.Q.M.S. C. HUTCHINSON
    2613843 Drill Sergeant G. HACKETT
    2610100 Acting Drill Sergeant J. ATKINSON
    2616967 Sergeant P. DOHERTY - O.R.S.

    Major The Viscount ANSON - Company Commander
    Lieutenant J.H. NEVINSON - Transport Officer
    Lieutenant R.A. KENNARD - Signal Officer
    Lieutenant B.H. PRATT - Quartermaster
    2615035 C.S.M. C. KNAGGS
    2611975 C.Q.M.S. E. EVERETT

    Major P.W. MARSHAM, M.B.E. - Company Commander
    Captain the Honourable W.N. VILLIERS - Second-in-Command
    Lieutenant J. PEARSON GREGORY - Platoon Commander
    Lieutenant I.M. BROWN - Platoon Commander
    Lieutenant W. HACKETT PAIN - Platoon Commander
    2614142 C.Q.M.S. W. LEWIS
    2612947 C.Q.M.S. D. BEADLE

    Captain P.C. BRITTEN - Company Commander
    Captain F.N.P. OSBORNE - Recce Officer
    Lieutenant E.B.M. VAUGHAN - Platoon Commander
    2614843 C.S.M. L. BURRELL
    2615671 C.Q.M.S. W. NASH - C.Q.M.S. 2 COMPANY

    Major R.H. LOMER, M.B.E. - Company Commander
    Captain A. THORNE - Second-in-Command
    Lieutenant C.C.B. OLDFIELD - Scout Platoon
    5332912 Sergeant R. KEW - M.M.G. Platoon
    2614778 Sergeant B. REID - Mortar Platoon
    2614086 C.S.M. A. EVERITT
    2615599 C.Q.M.S. J. MANSBRIDGE

    Captain A. WINDER, R.A.M.C. - Medical Officer
    Lieutenant F.R. PHILLIPS, R.E.M.E. - E.M.E.
    Captain The Reverend W.R. LEADBEATER, R.A.Ch.D. - Chaplain
    871573 A.Q.M.S. J. WORKMAN, R.E.M.E. - A.Q.M.S. (L.A.D.)

    2611981 C.Q.M.S. F. WILLIAMS
  11. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    Pan over area of desert with carnage of the battle gone by - panoramic shot. Tanks and bren gun carriers moving through Tunisia. Ground to air shot of a large squadron of Allied aircraft going out to pound the Afrika Corps for the last time. Small unit of British soldiers walking along desert road.

    Montage of library shots of the heads of the countries and military leaders to whom the tribute for the victory is paid - The King George VI, General Dwight Eisenhower, Joseph Stalin, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, General Lord Alexander Commander-in-Chief of the Allied Military Forces, General Anderson Commander of the First Army, General Bernard Montgomery Commander of the Eighth Army and Air Marshal Arthur Conningham, Chief of the Air Forces in Tunisia.
  12. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Bone, Algeria

    1943 June 1
    1300 hours
    The Battalion turned out to fight a heath fire which was endangering a cork forest. No. 3 Company (Major C. EARLE) remained out all night in case the fire should break out again.

    1943 June 2
    1400 hours
    The Battalion held a Sports Meeting agains 1/6 THE EAST SURREY REGIMENT at BONE Stadium. The Battalion won by half a point. (Appendix A - Click here )
    No.s 1 and 2 Companies provided Prisoner of War Escorts from 205 Prisoner of War Camp to Docks consisting of one Officer and 40 Other Ranks each.

    1943 June 3
    No.s 2 and 3 Companies provided Prisoner of War Escorts as above consisting of one Officer and 30 Other Ranks each.

    1943 June 4
    0800 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Adjutant. Subaltern Officers attended.
    1100 hours
    Marshal of the ROYAL AIR FORCE, Viscount TRENCHARD, GCB, GCVO, DSO, visited the Battalion.

    1943 June 5
    Companies carried out interior economy and administration.

    1943 June 6
    1100 hours
    One Officer and 20 men per Company attended Divine Service.

    1943 June 7
    0800 hours
    The Battalion paraded under the Adjutant for Drill. Subaltern Officers attended.
    A draft of 4 Officers and 18 Other Ranks joined the Battalion.

    1943 June 8
    1630 hours
    The Battalion found a Prisoner of War Guard consisting one Officer and 30 Other Ranks at 212 Prisoner of War Camp MORRIS. The Guard changed every 3 days.

    1943 June 9
    0800 hours
    The Battalion paraded for Drill under the Commanding Officer.
    1400 hours
    Battalion Sports Meeting held at BONE Stadium was won by 1 Company.
    Lieutenant A.F.L. CLIVE, M.C. was awarded the D.S.O. an “Immediate” Award. Click here

    1943 June 10
    3 Company (Comd. Major C. EARLE) started a 4 day Training Exercise.

    1943 June 11
    1 Company (Comd. Major P.W. MARSHAM, MBE) took over the Prisoner of War Guard at 212 Prisoner of War Camp MORRIS.
    Captain P.C. BRITTEN and 20 Other Ranks proceeded on a ship’s Prisoner of War Escort.
    1/6 Battalion EAST SURREY REGIMENT held a Rifle Meeting which was open to other Units. The Battalion won this meeting.

    1943 June 12
    0900 hours
    The Commanding Officer inspected Company lines and the Battalion area.

    1943 June 13
    Voluntary Services were held.

    1943 June 14
    1730 hours
    The Commanding Officer held a discussion for Company Commanders, Adjutant and Technical Adjutant.

    1943 June 15
    0800 hours
    A Guard of Honour to be mounted on 16th June paraded under the Adjutant.
    1000 hours
    Guard of Honour commanded by Major C. EARLE with Captain E.T. COOK, Lieutenant R.A. KENNARD and 100 Other Ranks paraded. (Appendix A)
    1415 hours
    Guard of Honour under Major C. EARLE paraded at BONE AERODROME for practice.

    1943 June 16
    Owing to bad weather the visit of His MAJESTY the KING had to be postponed till 17th June. His MAJESTY was due to fly from ALGIERS but owing to bad visibility and low clouds all arrangements were put off till the following day.
    1200 hours
    The Battalion less Guard of Honour paraded under Major KINGSMILL to practice moving into position when lining the road on the KING’s visit.

    1943 June 17
    Bone, Algeria
    1100 hours
    His MAJESTY the KING alighted from an AVRO YORK (Mr. Winston CHURCHILL’s private plane) on BONE AERODROME, having flown from CAP BLANCHE airport, ALGIERS, accompanied by Lieutenant Colonel The Honourable LEIGH, Major to the Honourable Sir Alexander HARDINGE, the SECRETARY for WAR Sir James GRIGG. Also, General ANDERSON and his Vice Marshall Sir Hugh LLOYD, both of whom came in their own planes.
    On arrival His MAJESTY the KING inspected the two Guards of Honour mounted by 6th (Motor) Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS and the R.A.F. REGIMENT. As His MAJESTY stepped from his plane the Drummers Call was beaten in a side drum and then the Royal Salute was blown by four Drummers of the Battalion. The Commanding Officer accompanied His MAJESTY the Colonel in Chief. The Inspection having been carried out His MAJESTY was introduced by the Brigadier to local notables of the area and then entered the Reception Tent where he was able to sit down and have a cup of tea and enjoy a cigarette. Lieutenant NEVINSON had made all the arrangements with great ingenuity.
    The Commanding Officer sat with His MAJESTY and talked to him for a quarter of an hour on the recent doings of the Battalion and handed him an account of the MARETH Line attack for H.R.H. the Colonel.
    1130 hours
    At about 1130 hours the Royal Party moved off on their tour of inspection. The cheering at the beginning of the journey was not so intense since many of the units lining the road copied the BRIGADE OF GUARDS who came to attention as the Royal Party went by.
    Early in the afternoon on the return journey from GUELMA the KING was forced to leave his car which was an open one, owing to the rays of the sun having burnt his knees rather badly.
    The new vehicle, this time a closed one, was not very suitable either for it broke down ten minutes later. Consequently the KING did not arrive at BONE AERODROME till 1725 hours. However, after some light refreshment, His MAJESTY got into his plane and continued his journey to TUNIS. There he had the opportunity of visiting the 5th Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS.

    1943 June 18
    The Adjutant Captain FORBES left the Battalion to take up an appointment as G.S.O.3 Liaison on 30 CORPS.
    Lieutenant J.H. NEVINSON became Adjutant in his place.

    1943 June 19
    0900 hours
    A Party of one Officer and four Other Ranks from each Company went to BONE AIRDROME where they were conducted round the Airdrome and shown the various aircraft used there. Some of the party had never flown before and they were taken up for a flight of about half an hour’s duration. No one was sick and all expressed delight at their first flight.
    1215 hours
    The Commanding Officer held a Company Commanders Conference to discuss future plans of the Battalion and the distribution of the reinforcements due to arrive on 21st June.
    2030 hours
    The Battalion was ordered to find one Platoon to co-operate with personnel of ROYAL AIR FORCE in guarding TINGLEY AIRFIELD. It was reported that damage had been done on certain airfields to material, and in particular to aircraft, by enemy parachutists. The Platoon was found by No. 3 Company and Captain OSBORNE went to the airfield to sight the Sections.

    1943 June 20
    The Commanding Officer went out to dinner with Brigadier NEWELL an din the early hours of the morning went boar hunting with Major ARGYLE and Major the Viscount DALRYMPLE (SCOTS GUARDS) and twelve Frenchmen. After much hard going and difficulty in following the dogs they managed to kill two boars though the Commanding Officer for all his effort did not get a shot.

    1943 June 21
    1000 hours
    One Officer and twenty Other Ranks went to Divine Service.

    1943 June 22
    1700 hours
    A Draft of ten Officers and 128 men joined the Battalion. They left ENGLAND on 13th May and arrived ALGIERS on 30th May, having experienced no excitements!
    After inspecting the Draft the Commanding Officer welcomed the newcomers to the Battalion and told them what he anticipated would be their role for the immediate future.

    1943 June 23
    0930 hours
    Passing out’ Parade for young Corporals took place under the Adjutant. On the whole the standard was good.

    1943 June 24
    0900 hours A Tactical Course for N.C.O.s under the supervision of Lieutenant E.M. VAUGHAN, was started.

    1943 June 25

    1943 June 26

    1943 June 27
    1700 hours
    Two more Officers Lieutenant ?LEEK and Lieutenant ?INCHBALD arrived with two Other Ranks from the O.R.T.D. PHILLIPVILLE.
    1900 hours
    The Commanding Officer went for a short Exercise, lasting twenty-four hours, on H.M.S. CIRIUS, a cruiser of the ‘Dido’ Class.
    Four Officers and fifty Other Ranks of COLDSREAM GUARDS arrived from PHILLIPVILLE en route to join their Battalions.

    1943 June 28
    1800 hours
    A further three Officers and one hundred men of the COLDSTREAM GUARDS arrived en route to join their Battalion.

    1943 June 29
    0800 hours
    The party of seven Officers and one hundred and fifty Other Ranks of COLDSTREAM GUARDS left for BEJA en route to join their Battalions.
    1400 hours
    Colonel ROBERTS - D.M.T. - who had recently come out from the W.O. saw the Commanding Officer, Second-in-Command, Captain VILLIERS, Major P MARSHAM and Lieutenant E.B. VAUGHAN. The purpose of the visit was to hear the Commanding Officer’s account of the Battalion in action at the MARETH LINE. Also enquire whether as a motor battalion we were best employed, and thirdly to hear the various experiences, and opinions of those other Officers present, in particular with regards to mines and their different jobs in the battle.

    1943 June 30
    0930 hours
    The Commanding Officer and Adjutant went over to the I.R.T.D. PHILLIPVILLE to see Lieutenant Colonel CATRIM and Lieutenant Colonel STEELE. As there are now a number of Reinforcements in the camp, it was agreed that it was necessary to set up a proper staff of Officers and N.C.O.s for both administrative and training purposes and so try to run the Camp on lines similar to those adopted at the Depot, CATERHAM. It was decided to send a letter round to Commanding Officers of Regiments in the BRIGADE to get their views and co-operation.
  13. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Name Clive, Archer Francis Lawrence
    Rank: Major
    Service No: 23788
    Regiment: 6 Battalion Grenadier Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)
    Award: Distinguished Service Order
    Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 22 July 1943
    Date 1943
    Catalogue reference WO 373/25

    Screen shot 2011-07-09 at 02.27.51.png
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    THE KING IN NORTH AFRICA - British Pathe

    The King George VI in naval uniform in North Africa with Admiral Cunningham. Various shots of the King, now in army uniform, visiting men of the 1st and 8th Armies and talks to them. King driving in the open car past cheering armoured corps. Various shots of the King inspecting Guards Regiment. Various shots of an official reception for the King at the race course in Tunis. The King drives in the open car past cheering troops.
  15. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    1. 100 YARDS FLAT: Sergeant BRIDGES (H.Q.), Guardsman KEYTE (1 COY), Guardsman YOUNG (1 COY)

    2. 444 YARDS FLAT: Sergeant MERRY (2), Lance-Sergeant CURD (1)

    3. 1 MILE FLAT: Lieutenant HACKETT PAIN, Lance-Corporal CREWE (H.Q.), Guardsman MOORE (H.Q.)

    4. 1 MILE WALK: Drill Sergeant G. HACKETT, C.Q.M.S. EVERITT (H.Q.), Sergeant DUNNE (1)

    5. HIGH JUMP: Lance-Sergeant FLEMING (1), Lance-Corporal ADEY (1), Guardsman HEWITT (1), C.Q.M.S. MANSBRIDGE (3), Sergeant THOMAS (3)

    6. LONG JUMP: Lieutenant KENNARD, Guardsman HEWITT (1), Guardsman CRUTTWELL (3), Sergeant THOMAS (3)

    7. 120 YARDS HURDLES: Guardsman KEYTE(1), Lance-Sergeant ARMITAGE (3)

    8. MEDLEY RELAY: Sergeant BRIDGES (H.Q.), Sergeant MERRY (2), Lance-Sergeant CURD (1), Lieutenant STOKES ROBERTS

    9. THROWING THE CRICKET BALL: Lance-Sergeant CURD (1), Lance-Sergeant EMERY (1), Guardsman WOOLHEAD (3), Guardsman PEARSON (3), Lance-Sergeant BROOKER (3), Lance-Sergeant WATSON (3), Lance-Sergeant THOMAS (3), Guardsman MULLARD (3)

    10. TUG O’ WAR: Guardsman EDWARDS (H.Q.), Guardsman HODGKINS (H.Q.), Guardsman FOX (H.Q.), Lance-Corporal JONES (H.Q.) Guardsman CECIL (1), Guarsman HARLEY (1), Guardsman PEARSON (3), Guardsman WOOLHEAD (3)



    Two 3 tonners will be available at 1315 hours from the Company in Waiting to take teams to the Stadium.
  16. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Algeria, BONE

    1943 July 1

    1943 July 2
    1300 hours
    Captain BROOKING, ROYAL NAVY of H.M.S. CIRIUS (Cruiser of Dido Class) with a Captain of H.M.S. DIDO came to lunch with the Commanding Officer. After lunch a 6-pounder was shown to Captain BROOKING and its workings explained by Captain BRITTEN. Other items which interested Captain BROOKING were the Scout car, which on occasion did not function properly, the “bread van” which carried the Battalion control set (wireless), also the L.A.D. recovery wagon. Captain BROOKING asked if any three Officers would care to go aboard his ship in the evening and go to ALGIERS, but at such short notice no one was able to accept his offer.

    1943 July 3

    1943 July 4
    One Captain, 2 Subalterns and 25 Other Ranks from each Company except No. 3 Company paraded under the Commanding Officer for Church. The parade travelled in lorries to BONE Docks and there debussed, formed up, sized in two half Battalions, then marched to the bottom of the gangway where it was necessary to march in single file on to the Quarter Deck of H.M.S. CIRIUS. A short but pleasant service was held under the ship’s PADRE.
    After church the men were shown over the ship and about 25 stayed on board for lunch and went bathing with the crew in the afternoon. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves particularly as it was an extremely hot day.

    1943 July 5

    1943 July 6
    1700 hours
    Orders had been received that the Battalion had to be inoculated agains typhus, so starting with No. 3 Company one Company was ordered to be inoculated per day until everyone had been done.

    1943 July 7
    0830 hours
    The Commanding Officer left for BRIGADE H.Q. to call on the Brigadier who had recently arrived back from ENGLAND, where he had been to find out the future of the Battalion.
    Brigadier A.S.P. MURRAY called for tea on his way through to PHILLIPVILLE. Unfortunately he brought neither news nor gossip for tea.

    1943 July 8

    1943 July 9
    1000 hours
    The Adjutant, the Signal Officer, the R.S.M., C.S.M. EVERETT and 14 Other Ranks made up two parties to go on board H.M.S. CHANTICLEER and CYGNET respectively and to go with them on an operation.

    1943 July 10

    1943 July 11
    1000 hours
    A voluntary Church Service was held in the Camp Church Tent.

    1943 July 12

    1943 July 13

    1943 July 14
    0815 hours
    The Battalion found a Guard of Honour from 100 Other Ranks under the Command of Major Sir Hugh CHOLMELEY, Bt or the French Nation Fete Le Quatorse Juillet. Lieutenants SNELL and BROCKLEBANK were the Subalterns.
    Captain A.I. SHAW was posted to the Battalion as Medical Officer, since the Commanding Officer had the news of Captain WINDER telling us that he would not be fit for several months.

    1943 July 15
    The Battalion received news of the following decorations won by members of the Battalion during the Battle of the MARETH LINE:-
    Major A.J.E. GORDON - Military Cross - Click here
    Captain the Reverend LEADBEATER - Military Cross - Click here
    Sergeant E. SMITH - Military Medal - Click here
    Sergeant S. DELEBECQUE - Distinguished Conduct Medal - Click here
    Sergeant J. HARRISON - Distinguished Conduct Medal - Click here
    Lance-Corporal H. ADEY - Military Medal - Click here

    1943 July 16

    1943 July 17
    0900 hours
    The Battalion paraded under the Commanding Officer for Drill.

    1943 July 18

    1943 July 19
    The Battalion made its final preparations for a move from BONE Area.
    The unpunctuality of the local train services delayed the relief of duties which should have taken place in the afternoon of 19th July. This necessitated a large Rear Party being left behind the main body of the Battalion which on 20th July Moved to SOUK AHRAS.

    1943 July 20
    The Adjutant returned with his party just in time to take charge of the move. The Battalion leaguered for the night at SOUK AHRAS Staging Area.

    1943 July 21
    The Battalion moved to MASSICAULT and on its way was joined by No. 1 Company who had remained behind on guard until relieved by 2nd Battalion NORTH STAFFS. The Battalion leaguered only a few miles from its original position during the attack on TUNIS.

    1943 July 22
    1700 hours
    The Battalion moved from MASSICAULT to SOUSSE. The Commanding Officer called a Conference to explain the redistribution of Officers ...

    1943 July 23
    0800 hours
    ... and on the following morning the Battalion reformed on the Battalion Parade Ground into its new War Establishment.
    The 3rd Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS invited all the Officer of the 6th Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS to dinner. Almost every officer accepted the invitation and a most enjoyable evening, with entertainment provided both by visiting artistes and Lieutenant LYTTELTON on his trumpet, was spent by all who were present.


    1943 July 24
    The Commanding Officer held a Conference of all Company Commanders and Departmental Officers. This started the whirl of activity in which the Battalion spent the ensuing fortnight, a period of energetic training and of quiet and radical reorganisation. Whether the intensity of training will subside before the Battalion makes its landing on the Continent seems at the moment doubtful: but reorganisation under new Company Commanders and new Platoon Officers has gone through smoothly and with promise.
    Among promotions were:
    Captain the Viscount ANSON and Captain P.C. BRITTEN to Major
    Lieutenant P.C.W. ALINGTON to Captain and Adjutant, vice Captain HERMON whose services were urgently required as Second Captain to 2 Company.

    1943 July 25

    1943 July 26
    The Battalion took to reveille at 0515 hours and First Parade at 0700 hours with equanimity. The comparative coolness of the mornings was spent in training, the inescapable head of the afternoon in sleep and bathing, and the evenings again in lectures and target practice.

    1943 July 27

    1943 July 28
    Major BUCHANAN of the 3rd Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS gave a lecture to the Battalion on the campaigning of the 1st ARMY, a subject of which hitherto we had been lamentably ignorant.

    1943 July 29

    1943 July 30

    1943 July 31
    A lecture on “The action Paratroops in SICILY” by Lieutenant Colonel FROST who had recently returned from that theatre, told a regrettably small audience something of the latest operations of Allied troops.
    During the week that ended on the 31st July the Battalion practiced, by Companies, embarking their bodies and their vehicles into L.C.I.s and L.C.T.s respectively, a more simple drill than the majority had expected.
  17. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    1943 August 1
    1045 hours
    GRENADIER GUARDS of the 3rd and 6th Battalions paraded for Church Service in SOUSEE Garrison Theatre. The lessons were read by Brigadier GASGOIGNE and Brigadier GREYSON-ELLIS and the PADRE of the 3rd Battalion Captain WILSON preached. The Service was most encouraging and inspiring and the singing was reminiscent of some ?former services in GUARDS DEPOT CHAPEL.
    1400 hours
    The Commanding Officer and the Company Commanders accompanied Colonel HEBER PERCY over the ground on which his final attack agains the 90 LI DIVISION had been planned. It was an energetic and interesting afternoon. The formidable defensive layout of the Germans could be studied at leisure.

    1943 August 2

    1943 August 3
    0900 hours
    The Battalion under the Commanding Officer, and including many who had not stepped outside their offices and stores for several months, set out on a route march. This, the first collective function the Battalion had performed as an Infantry Battalion was an unqualified success, and was the ? of many marches already achieved and yet to come. It was also the last time that the Commanding Officer was with his Battalion on training.
    Major G.E.W. ?PATTON joined the Battalion and took over 2 Company from Major the Viscount ANSON.

    1943 August 4

    1943 August 5 1845 hours The Battalion drew 0-0 with the 3rd Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS in an evening soccer match.
    The Commanding Officer went for two days leave to TUNIS and as always when he left the Battalion, events of the most formidable importance began to heap themselves upon his Second-in-Command and Adjutant.
    First the Battalion was ordered to move immediately to TRIPOLI, some by sea and some by road and some by whatever means they could c???ive, for there were a good many parties detached from the Battalion and scattered round TUNISIA and ALGERIA.
    Secondly the BRIGADE informed the Second-in-Command that Colonel CLIVE was to return to ENGLAND on promotion and take an appointment there. The Commanding Officer, ignorant of the turmoil he had left, set out in his car from TUNIS to spend the night in the hills behind. A frantic pursuit by Captain E. COOKE ended in their meeting by the side of the road where the Commanding Officer’s car, providentially (and not for the first time) had broken down. They returned together at 0030 hours on the 6th of August.

    1943 August 6
    The Commanding Officer spoke briefly in farewell to the Battalion he had formed, trained, led, and distinguished since 1942. His Second-in-Command since February 1942, Major W.H. KINGSMILL M.C. assumed command.
    1600 hours The Battalion set off in its various parties en route for TRIPOLI.
    The sea party embarked in holiday mood in 3 L.C.I.s each containing 200 men. The senior C.Q.M.S. on each ship took over the administration and the men spent 24 leisured, though admittedly crowded, hours. The convoy arrived safely in TRIPOLI harbour about 1500 hours on the 7th.
    Cooks and cookers were soon transported to the camp area about 2 miles South of TRIPOLI. (Map Ref [blank] ). The remainder of the Battalion, looking round in vain for its accustomed transport, found there was nothing for it but to march.

    1943 August 7


    1943 August 8
    This Sunday was a day of rest and washing.
    Company Commanders explored the possible amenities of the town and found most of them wanting.
    The Commanding Officer called a Conference of Company Commanders, gave them as much news of the future as he was allowed, and direction as to the training they were to perform.
    Hardening was the first consideration, Company tactical training the main objective of our stay in NORTH AFRICA. We were warned again that the end of the month was our target date.

    1943 August 9
    From this date onwards the Battalion trained in a steady acceler?. Reveille was at 0515 hours, first Parade at 0700 hours.
    Companies marched out to their Company training areas, less pleasant and less easy of access than our areas at SOUSSE, trained all morning and returned for the midday meal at 1230 hours.
    The afternoon was a rest period, and from 1600 - 1800 hours training was again carried out.
    Night Exercises were not infrequently included in the Company training programmes.
    The Battalion came to regard the Black Cat as a friendly and not alien sign and Battalion H.Q made contact with some of the troops who were to be in support and under command for the forthcoming operation.

    1943 August 10

    1943 August 11
    The CORPS Commander lectured to all Officers and N.C.O.s down to Gold Sergeant in the Union Club TRIPOLI. He welcomed the BRIGADE to 10th CORPS and 56th DIVISION and said something of our future, enough to assure us that we were to play a leading part in a major operation.

    1943 August 12
    A mobile Cinema gave a performance in BRIGADE H.Q. lines.
    Captain the Viscount ANSON went to BRIGADE H.Q. as Staff Captain. His knowledge of the Battalion and consequent diffiulty of dece?tion may outweigh the more obvious advantage of packing the BRIGADE Staff with GRENADIERS.
    A larger Draft joined from M.E.F. This included both new and old blood, not a few being men wounded in the battles of the TUNISIAN Campaign.

    1943 August 13
    Throughout the period until the Battalion finally embarked, the most intensive planning was in process. While Companies trained and hardened themselves for the encounter, all the H.Q.s from Company H.Q. to Battalion H.Q., who were planning it, were in a turmoil of telephones and typewriters. The Commanding Officer was frequently at MAYFAIR, the planning H.Q. of 56 DIVISION and became more and more secretive as the plan became more and more complete. The Adjutant issued orders and ? at a rate of five or six a day. The CORPS trained. The plan as it effected the Battalion, was in diagrammatic form quite early explained to the Company Commanders. We were the leading Battalion of the Reserve BRIGADE, a position which, on paper at any rate, nicely combined dash with discretion.

    1943 August 14
    The Pioneer Platoon under Lieutenant LAWRENCE was at this time engaged in making new crosses and one central stone cross for the GRENADIER Cemetery at MARETH, which had been reported by the road party on their journey from SOUSSE to be in disrepair. A fine cross was finally put in position by the Pioneers, with Lieutenant M.D. RIDPATH, brother of Lieutenant T.G. RIDPATH buried in this cemetery, in charge of the party (August 25th)
    During this time a bad outbreak of sickness and desert sores occupied the Battalion. Sick parade was often as many as 80 strong. In most cases it was the people new to NORTH AFRICA who were affected.

    1943 August 15

    1943 August 16

    1943 August 17
    The BOYLE Call of the Motor Platoon as published in Regimental Standing Order was allotted to Support Company as its Company Call.
    1700 hours
    Major St. JOHN PLEVINS arranged or the photographs to be taken of the Officers, W.O.s and Gold Sergeants of the Battalion.

    1943 August 18

    1943 August 19
    3 Company went out for two days training into the hills inland of TRIPOLI.

    1943 August 20

    1943 August 21

    1943 August 22
    Routine changed to Reveille at 0546 hours and first Parade at 0730 hours.
    Most Companies preferred to train from 0730 hours to 1400 hours and to rest for the remainder of the day, since from 1300 hours to 1700 hours the heat was very exhausting.
    A ? of this period was the Concert organised by most Companies. At all, Lieutenant LYTTELTON and Lance-Sergeant ACTON were regular and popular performers.

    1943 August 23
    1600 hours
    All Officers, W.O.s and N.C.O.s down the the rank of Gold Sergeant attended a lecture by Officer Commanding No. 3 Beach Group. He graphically described the ordeal through which the Battalion was shortly to pass and depicted with accuracy and humour the confusion of the first few hours after landing.

    1943 August 24

    1943 August 25
    The Battalion began the dress rehearsal for the forthcoming invasion. It consisted in a dreary concentration in a miser-like camp, in a welter of nominal rolls and operational instructions, issued by the Orderly Room, in a cold and dusty night spent on the ? of TRIPOLI in a tedious and entirely wasted day in the same concentration camp ...

    1943 August 26
    ... finally in an evening march to the ship which was later to take us to more attractive if more perilous shores and the gloomy embarkation into the craft themselves. The rest of the Exercise was in keeping with its preparation.

    1943 August 27-28 For a brief moment of exhilaration the Battalion actually stepped off the ship into the sea and enjoyed the illusion of dash without its usual damages, but the remainder of the days spent on board were tedious and uncomfortable. However the Exercise had its values. Ships crews got to know the men for whom they were eventually to be responsible, administration on board ship, under C.Q.M.S.s was practised and perfected and the first moments of chaos on the beach were experienced, survived and taken to heart. The actual Exercise was shortlived. It lasted in fact for thirty five minutes from the disembarkation of the Battalion. Companies then reformed into the L.C.I. loads, marched back to an assembly area, and waited for their ? to reembark. These came at about 1300 hours. The sail back began with promise, we reached TRIPOI harbour by 1800 hours. But during the Exercise the NAVY’s hand seemed as heavy as the ARMY’s. We waited for orders to go alongside the Quay for 4 1/2 hours, and finally only one of the three Battalion ships managed to land its load of men that night. This shipload of 1 Company however, was greeted by the admirable organisation of the Second-in-Command and ? ? master who had arranged transport and food in the most extravagant quantities. The men from this ship reached camp, a second dinner and a bed by 0100 hours the 29th and slept at length into the following morning.

    1943 August 29 The other two less fortunate spent the night on board ship and reached camp soon after 0900 hours next day, where again, a second meal awaited them.
    During the whole period the M.T. were busily at work in the waterproofing of all vehicles. Stealthily by night the Transport Officer and his staff would abduct a 3 tonner here and an 15 cwt there, and drive it to a Waterproofing park, the jailor of whose gates was no less formidable a person than Captain HEBELER, ex Technical Adjutant himself. Once within nothing short of Act of God could get them out. They were there until the Almighty, apparently, coupled with the name of HEBELER, removed therm to the Quay. There they were loaded, there their drivers were imprisoned and there finally were they waterproofed. The guardian of these trucks did not then come on the Exercise just described. In fact by the time the Exercise was over, trucks and drivers were on the verge of genuine embarkation.

    1943 August 30
    0900 hours
    The Battalion attended a Church Service in TRIPOLI Garrison Church. This our last service ? before our departure from NORTH AFRICA was most impressively conducted by Reverend QUINN M.C. PADRE to the COLDSTREAM GUARDS, who had for some time been making good to the Battalion the gap left by the injury to Reverend W.R. LEADBEATER M.C.
    All ranks bathed on the way back, deserved recreation after three hard weeks training.
    Lieutenant Colonel CLIVE DSO MC, sent a copy of a letter to the Lieutenant Colonel Commanding the Regiment from H.R.H. the Colonel, conveying her good wishes for our future, and her sympathies for the losses we had suffered in the past.

    1943 August 31
    1100 hours
    The Major General visited the 201st GUARDS BRIGADE. He spoke to the Battalion and inspected all Company ?
    He then spoke to the Battalion stressing the high standard of efficiency expected of GUARDS BRIGADEs everywhere and in particular of the 201st GUARDS BRIGADE in its new venture which it was about to undertake. At the end of the speech the Commanding Officers called to the Battalion to give Three Cheers for H.R.H. the Colonel as a reply to her letter and he asked for the Major General to take this reply back to H.R.H. The Major General ended his visit to the Battalion by having an informal talk in the Orderly Room with all the Battalion Officers.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  18. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Yet to transcribe all of this document

    6th Battalion GRENADIER GUARDS
    1. POSTINGS FROM “X” (iv) LIST - No. 1 Battalion No. I.R.T.D. B.N.A.F.
    2620993 Guardsman F. ALLMAN
    2621491 Guardsman J. COLLINS
    2612102 Guardsman J. DAVIES
    2623277 Guardsman J. FAIRCLOUGH
    2619274 Guardsman H. HALL
    2622737 Guardsman R. HOLLIDAY
    2620174 Guardsman A. LAWTON
    2622813 Guardsman E. TATUM
    2616280 W/Sergeant V. STURDY

    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  19. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Humphrey Lyttelton | Times Online Obituary

    Humphrey Lyttelton | Times Online Obituary
    Lyttelton’s trumpet was a constant companion during his war service in the Grenadier Guards, even during the landing at Salerno — going ashore at the beachhead as a battalion signals officer, he carried a pistol in one hand and the horn in another. On VE-Day he serenaded West End crowds from a hand cart as they pushed him towards Buckingham Palace.
    Darren Clapson likes this.
  20. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD


    1943 September 1
    The Battalion moved to a concentration area - the TRIPOLI Racecourse Camp, which resembled nothing more nor less than a P.O.W. Camp. However, in the evening a first class Concert Party paid the camp a visit. Most of the DIVISION appeared to be there.

    1943 September 2
    1100 hours
    The Battalion marched down to the Docks to embark on the 3 L.C.I.s. This was accomplished with the minimum of fuss.

    1943 September 3
    The three L.C.I.s were still in TRIPOLI Harbour.

    1943 September 4
    0630 hours
    Our convoy set sail. The sea was fortunately calm.

    1943 September 5
    The sea became rather rough and a great many Guardsmen felt and were very sick.

    1943 September 6

    1943 September 7
    SICILY was sighted at first light.
    1000 hours The 3 L.C.I.s were anchored outside TERMINI.
    1005 hours The water was full of Officers and men having their first decent wash since embarkation.
    1700 hours The convoy set sail again.

    1943 September 8
    September 8th was an exciting day. First came the news that ITALY was out of the war, secondly at 1600 hours we saw in the distance the ISLE of CAPRI.
    When darkness came the convoy was sliding slowly towards the Beaches. It was an unpleasant sensation being bombed at sea, but the spirited defence put up by the ‘Flak’ ships and destroyers was comforting. The L.C.I. on which the Commanding Officer was had a very near miss.

    1943 September 9
    0715 hours
    743227 1/50,000 ITALY Sheet, PONTECAGNANO
    No. 3 Company were first troop of the 201st GUARDS BRIGADE to set foot on Italian soil. It was an un ? landing and dry shod. The two assaulting BRIGADES had cleared the Beaches and there was no difficulty or opposition in moving the Battalion to its assembly area.
    1000 hours When the L.S.Ts and L.C.T.s were unloading the Beaches were under shell fire, 1 Portee received a direct hit, 2 Guardsmen were killed and Lieutenant THWAITE wounded.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    1600 hours
    The Battalion was ordered to move to increase the size of the Bridgehead. The 3” Mortars were used and while Lieutenant RIDPATH was observing from an Observation Post, the building received a direct hit and Lieutenant RIDPATH was killed. Captain VAUGHAN was wounded in the same building.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    The Battalion was forced to delay its advance but by dark orders were received to move on to the Main Road No. 18 to conform with 167 BRIGADE on our right.
    Verdesca, 773223 ? again trouble was met this time by No. 3 Company and the Battalion was held up on the line of the road and Dyke 799235 and 789285. No. 3 Company put in an attack against what appeared to be small enemy posts all armed with Anti-Tank weapons.
    Captain MONCRIEFF BROWN was killed during the attack
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    No.s 2 and 1 Companies were ordered to move to No. 3 Company’s right flank, 4 Company being left in reserve.

    1943 September 10
    0515 hours
    No. 3 Company attacked again, this time with more success and the enemy were pushed back.
    Lieutenant DRAKE was killed in this action.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    No. 3 Company suffered some casualties here, chiefly due to Spandau fire. No. 3 Company reported some tanks and A.F.V. to their immediate front and so no further advance could be made.
    1030 hours
    1 Squadron GREYS appeared at BRIGADE H.Q. but did not have to be used as the enemy had moved back.
    1200 hours
    The Battalion moved forward to area of BATTIPAGLIA.
    No. 2 Company attacked the ? with the help of 2 Platoons from No. 4 Company.
    1600 hours
    No. 4 Company Right
    No. 2 Company centre (less 1 platoon in BATTIPAGLIA)
    No. 1 Company left
    No. 3 Company Reserve.
    During the day our positions were heavily stonked by Mortar and Shell. During one of these Captain HERMON was killed.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details

    1943 September 11
    1615 hours
    No. 2 Company reported enemy infiltration through their lines supported by tanks.
    At this time No.s 2 and 4 Companies GRENADIER GUARDS and No.s 2 and 4 Companies COLDSTREAM GUARDS were forced to withdraw some 350 yards and took up a position just left of No. 3 Company.
    Major POTTER (No. 2 Company) could only at that time muster about 30 men of his Company.
    The SCOTS GREYS who were under command had remained in their position during the hours of darkness , a feat which tanks cannot usually perform. The risk was ? taken and 1 German Tank received a direct hit at 200 yards range and was completely brewed up.
    Battalion H.Q., meanwhile, owing to the confused reports received, burnt all its secret papers marked maps, Intelligence ?, and even the R.A.P. put out the Red Cross flag.

    1943 September 12
    However, by first light the line was retaken and position stabilized.
    1600 hours
    During Conference held in Battalion H.Q., No. 1 Company reported that Captain WIGRAM had been killed by a shell.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    The BRIGADE was then ordered to shorten its line and the Battalion had to move out of a position, which might be attacked at any moment.
    Careful preparations were made by the Commanding Officer for thinning our Artillery, Support and M.G. Support.
    2000 hours
    The right hand Company began thinning out and by 2040 hours the Battalion had finally abandoned its position which it had held so well. If any withdrawal can be called a success, this one was. Thanks to the splendid cooperation of the Gunners the BRIGADE withdrew without a single casualty, to an assembly area, where Companies sorted themselves out. As soon as any Company was complete it moved off to its new defensive position at VERDESCA.

    1943 September 13
    Verdesca, 773223
    The Battalion’s new line was as follows:
    No. 1 Company Right
    No. 2 Company centre
    No. 3 Company left
    No. 4 Company in Reserve behind No. 2 Company.
    During the day No.s 1, 2, 3 Companies laid mines in front of their position and necklaces of 75 H? grenades were made to be pulled across the roads if necessary.

    1943 September 14
    While the Commanding Officer was paying No. 4 Company a visit an 88 mm airburst exploded some distance away and a piece of shrapnel wounded him slightly in the right arm.
    Lieutenant HACKET PAIN was ordered to take a Parol out back to BATTIPAGLIA to find and bring out if possible some men of the 9th ROYAL FUSILIERS who had been there while the Battle for BATTIPAGLIA was being fought. The task was a difficult one. On arrival at BATTIPAGLIA it was found that the house in which the man had been hiding had been hit by a bomb and so the Patrol came back.

    1943 September 15
    1935 hours
    The GUARDS BRIGADE was then ordered into CORPS Mobile Reserve, which meant that at 1/2 hour’s notice the Battalion was to move anywhere on the 46 DIVISION front in Transport.
    The Second-in-Command Major Sir Hugh CHOLMELEY had to report to 46th DIVISION. Fortunately he returned at midnight saying that the role was cancelled.
    The following Officers joined the Battalion from the ?
    Lieutenant CHOLMONDELY to No. 2 Company
    Lieutenant BUSTARD - I.O.
    Lieutenant WILLIAMS to No. 3 Company
    Captain ? ins - Second-in-Command No. 1 Company
    The CORPS Commander’s appreciation of the situation then came through that the enemy had withdrawn. Each Battalion of the BRIGADE was therefore ordered to send out a Fighting Patrol. The Master of Saltoun with 19 men of No. 1 Company set off in the dark to find if BATTIPAGLIA was occupied. On reaching the Railway is which just South of BATTIPAGLIA the Patrol was fired on and go split. Some of the men came back but no Officers. Lieuteant FRASER was still missing the next day and did not return until the early hours of the morning of the 17th. He arrived hungry, but happy and full of reliable information. The only casualty suffered from this Patrol was 1 Guardsman killed.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    The night of the 14/15th was a most successful one for the COLDSTREAM GUARDS on our right and for the ARTILLERY. They were heavily attacked, withstood and repelled it with heavy losses to the enemy. This was good news.

    1943 September 16

    1943 September 17
    The balance to light scale transport arrived.

    1943 September 18
    1415 hours
    Commanding Officer went to a Conference with the BRIGADIER and the Battalion was put on 1/2 hour’s notice to move.
    No. 4 Company was ordered to accompany 44 RECCE on their advance up the road to OLIVANO.
    The Battalion then moved forward to the North side of the Main Road into BATTIPAGLIA. We were on the right of the BRIGADE front.

    1943 September 19
    During the night 18/19th there were no signs of the enemy
    Battalion then received orders to move to SALERNO to relieve the SHERWOOD FORESTERS (46th DIVISION). The Battalion was allotted T.C.V.s for this move and by 2030 horus we were slowly moving a long the main road to SALERNO.
    1943 September 19-20 In spite of the awful difficulties of the country the relief of the FORESTERS was carried out without incident.
    No. 1 Company - right
    No. 2 Company - centre
    No. 3 Company - left
    No. 4 Company had not yet rejoined the BRIGADE.
    Battalion H.Q. 654312.

    1943 September 20
    1445 hours
    No. 4 Company returned and were put in reserve.
    2000 hours
    The ROYAL ENGINEEERS laid Anti-Personnel mines in front of Company positions. At this time, although we could not see much enemy movement, there was plenty of noise. Rather heavier shelling than we had hitherto experienced and it was quite obvious that the enemy though thin on the ground had a great many automatic weapons.
    2040 hours
    Lieutenant BROCKLEBANK No. 2 Company took a patrol out through No. 1 Company lines in order to “brew up” German vehicles in a road 1100 yards in front of our lines. This was one of the only roads which the retreating Germans could use to get onto the main road running North from SALERNO. The Patrol met trouble before they reached the road from a large cemetery which was obviously held by a strong enemy post. The patrol got split but reformed again in No. 1 Company lines and started off again but met with the same result. Lieutenant BROCKLEBANK was very slightly wounded in the arm.

    1943 September 21
    0820 hours
    A Guardsman from No. 2 Company was blown up and killed on is own Company minefield. This was due to sheer stupidity. That warning ought to have been enough, but two men from the M.G. Platoon blew themselves up on the same field.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    Increased shelling of our positions was noticeable, but did no harm.
    A Patrol was sent out by No. 3 Company to recce up the road on West side of the river to Map Ref. 653323.

    1943 September 22
    0330 hours
    The Patrol returned with 2 Guardsmen missing but with information that 3 Spandaus were round the wood North West of the cemetery and that there was a fixed line down the main road.
    This was a day of active patrolling, both No.s 2 and 4 Companies sending out patrols. Both brought back useful information of enemy positions.
    2030 hours No. 1 Company sent out a Patrol to recce the cemetery again under Sergeant GILBERT.

    1943 September 23
    0700 hours
    Warning order received that the Battalion must be prepared to move any time after 1030 hours.
    Sergeant GILBERT’s patrol returned with valuable information bringing back with him a German C.S.M.
    The Italians in a town (PONTE PRATTA) surrendered the C.S.M. to Sergeant GILBERT’s Patrol.
    The civilians also stated that the Germans had left stray rear guards posts but their main defensive line was some miles back.
    1230 hours
    No. 1 Company sent back 10 Germans to Battalion H.Q. from the cemetery. All were PANZER GRENADIERS.
    1530 hours
    The Battalion was ordered to move. Order of March No. 4 Company on the main road followed by No. 1 Company on the left subsidiary road, elements of the RECCE CORPS, No. 3 Company, Battalion H.Q., No. 2 Company followed by Support Company.
    1645 hours
    Very heavy enemy Mortar and Shell fire on the left hand road, making progress very slow. The Adjutant, Captain ALINGTON was wounded in one of these stonks and at the time it appeared not too badly.
    1738 hours
    Map Ref 650340
    Battalion moved to underneath a solid tunnel.
    No.s 2 and 3 Companies moved off the road on left handed, No. 2 Company on the right and No. 3 Company higher up the hill on the left.

    1943 September 24
    Continual enemy shelling and mortaring, 2 of our Carriers received direct hits on the road and 1 portee was damaged.
    1130 hours
    A shell landed at the West end of the tunnel in which Battalion H.Q. was situated wounding Lieutenant LAWRENCE (Pioneer Platoon) and 2 Guardsmen.
    The battle was now clearly going to be fought in the hills, which were high, steep and with very thick undergrowth.
    Captain ? from No. 2 Company became Adjutant.
    A rumour which we had heard, was unfortunately confirmed that Patrick ALINGTON had died of his wounds.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details
    Captain HOWARD and Captain ? joined the Battalion and joined as Second-in-Command No.s 2 and 3 Companies respectively.
    1430 hours
    No.s 3, 2 and 4 Companies which had just moved up, began their slow climb forward.
    1630 hours
    Our first sight of R.E. 109 their bombs went wide of the Battalion Area.
    Communication with CORPS was now non-existent, except for No. 1 Company who were on the right of the main road. No. 1 Company could see the Companies moving in the hills and kept Battalion H.Q. informed as best they could.
    1905 hours
    No. 1 Company reported that our men were fighting on their objective hill 270 and it looked as if the attack had been successful.
    2200 hours
    The Commanding Officer returned to Battalion H.Q. from the forward Companies s?ing that our 3 companies had been counter attacked of Hill 270 and have reformed on a firm base on the forward slope of TABORRA.
    No. 3 Company right, No. 2 Company centre and No. 4 Company were left on the saddle of Hill 270.
    The difficulties of evacuating wounded, feeding forward Companies with ammo, rations and water had to be seen to be believed.
    B??s were allotted to the BRIGADE for carrying parties. Ammunition was first on the list and by first light on the 25th all Companies except No. 4 Company had been restocked.

    1943 September 25
    All through the morning ?s were climbing the high hill to reach No.s 2 and 3 Companies with their water and food. While No. 4 Company rations and water were going up forward, a heavy stonk came down near the ?s who dumped the stuff they were carrying and fled. Unfortunately No. 4 Company therefore went without rations or water for 24 hours.
    Mention must be made of the heroic work of the R.A.P. Captain CHESTNUT the Battalion Medical Officer his staff and Stretcher bearers carried all their kit almost to the top of the Spur which was called TABORRA.
    This in itself was no mean feat. We had suffered quite a few casualties and the Stretcher bearers had to come from Companies to the R.A.P. through thick undergrowth and treacherous slopes. The Germans must have thought that thee house near which the R.A.P. was, was being used as an Observation Post since it was continually being hit by shells and mortars.
    1140 hours
    The COLDSTREAM GUARDS who had come up behind us now began to pass through us with Hill 270 as their objective.
    1400 hours
    Hill 270 was reported in our hands, but the Germans were shelling it heavily.
    1625 hours
    No.s 2 and 3 Companies moved forward to take up positions on the left of the COLDSTREAM GUARDS on 270.
    1715 hours
    Map Ref 65338
    Battalion H.Q. moved to a house on the side of the hill TABORRA.
    The SCOTS GUARDS were to take over our old position.
    No. 3 Company had sent out a Patrol to find out whether a certain Pill Box was occupied by the enemy or not. The Patrol had not returned, when the BRIGADIER rang through to enquire about it. The Adjutant began to explain that it hadn’t returned. The BRIGADIER’s voice was then heard to say “Shut up, man, can’t you see I’m thinking?”
    2100 hours
    No. 1 Company ? Company Commander Major MARSHAM appeared at Battalion H.Q. and reported that his Company have been relieved by the SCOTS GUARDS.
    No. 1 Company are ordered to move forward to the reverse slopes of 270 on the ? ?
    It was not possible for No. 1 Company to get that far owing to the ground and darkness but moved there at first light on the 26th.

    1943 September 26
    1300 hours
    No.s 1, 3 and 4 Companies sent out recce patrols to their front, as it was suspected that the enemy had withdrawn.
    All Patrols returned saying that the enemy had abandoned their positions, which had been well dug-in, sandbagged and in some cases, even concreted.
    1600 hours
    Two Officers, Lieutenant WHEATLEY and LLEWELLYN arrived with 85 reinforcements to help carry the supplies as all the Bs had been recalled.
    2330 hours
    News was received that the BRIGADE was to be withdrawn in to DIVISIONAL reserve and that the Battalion would move out at 0800 hours 27th. The Battalion was to concentrate in its ‘A’ Echelon area.

    1943 September 27
    The night 26/27th was quiet. Behind main Battalion H.Q. dumps of rations and water and ammo were being made. Carrying Parties made up of the new reinforcements, were working through the whole night taking up supplies forward to Companies in very hard conditions. It was pitch dark and raining hard and it was well nigh impossible for the Carrying Parties to find any Company areas through the thick bushes and undergrowth. However, Companies were fully supplied by first light.
    0800 hours
    The Battalion began thinning out, No. 1 Company first and by 0845 hours positions were completely abandoned.
    0915 hours
    No. 1 Company arrived in SALERNO to find that Q.M. had had each Company billet, a block of flats, swept out ready for immediate [occupation]. Battalion H.Q. found itself in a very large house, complete with cutlery, crockery. In fact all ranks were able to make themselves very comfortable.
    The Commanding Officer decided that while the Battalion had to fight in the hills, it was essential to have 2 Signals Officers owing to the difficulties of communication. Lieutenants BUSTARD and LYTTELTON were the Signal Officers and Lieutenant LLEWELLYN became Intelligence Officer in place of Lieutenant BUSTARD.

    1943 September 28
    The Battalion spent its first 24 hours out of the line since its landing in ITALY. The Guardsmen spent the day washing the clothes which they had been unable to take off for 3 weeks, bathing on the SALERNO beaches, in fact having a well deserved day of rest.
    1815 hours
    A joint Service with the COLDSTREAM GUARDS was held in the SALERNO Stadium. It was the first Service the Battalion had had since the landing and was well attended by both Battalions. Unfortunately owing to the darkness, it was impossible to read the words in the Hymn book and the last hymn was left out. The Service ended with a splendid rendering of “God Save the King”.
    2000 hours
    A very bad storm of rain, thunder and lightning suddenly sprang up. Fortunately all the men were billeted in bombed out flats and so the Battalion spent another restful and dry night.
    2200 hours
    The most cheering news of the day was phoned through to the Battalion from the BRIGADE Major “No move before the 30th”.

    1943 September 29
    0800 hours
    Another pleasant day of rest. A few preparations were made for the impending move forward.

    1943 September 30
    1000 hours
    Lieutenant ? reported at Battalion H.Q. that the remainder of the Battalion transport disembarked at SALERNO harbour at 0820 hours together with 36 reinforcements.
    1200 hours
    Commanding Officer spoke to the Battalion, which was assembled in the SALERNO Stadium. He said that he, an Officer of the Reserve, considered it a great honour to command the 6th Battalion. The Battalion was then addressed by the BRIGADIER who congratulated the Battalion on its fine performance in the campaign just completed, and expected as good in the next.
    1230 hours
    The Parade ended with the Battalion marching past the BRIGADIER who took the Salute.
    1400 hours
    A Warning Order was received from BRIGADE to the effect that the Battalion would be ready to move at 1/2 hour’s notice as from 1600 hours.
    Lieutenant NEW???AN joined the Battalion from the Allied School of Infantry B.N.A.F. He joined Support Company as Pioneer Officer.
    1630 hours
    The Battalion moved off in Transport to an area just outside SAN SEVERINO. Order of March: 1 Company, Battalion H.Q., 4, 3, 2, Support Companies.
    1945 hours
    The Commanding Officer reported to BRIGADE that whole Battalion was present in its new location.

Share This Page