World War I centenary: Paving stones to honour heroes

Discussion in 'Prewar' started by dbf, Aug 4, 2013.

  1. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Edward Mellish,Victoria Cross,Oakleigh Park North,Whetstone,north London

    He was 35 years old, and a Chaplain in the Army Chaplains' Department, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    On three consecutive days, the 27 to 29 March 1916, during the heavy fighting at St. Eloi, Belgium, he went to-and fro continuously between the original trenches and the captured enemy trenches, attending to and rescuing wounded men. The first day, from an area swept by machine-gun fire, he rescued 10 severely wounded men. Although his battalion was relieved on the second day, he returned and rescued 12 more of the wounded. Taking charge of a group of volunteers, on the third day, he again returned to the trenches in order to rescue the remaining wounded. This excellent work was done voluntarily and was far outside the sphere of his normal duties[2]

    St. Eloi is located approximately three kilometers east of Ypres, Belgium. The defense of St. Eloi is commemorated by the Hill 62 Memorial

    Noel Mellish - Wikipedia


    Attached Files:

    Deacs, dbf and Recce_Mitch like this.
  2. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Dennis Hewitt,Victoria Cross,Embankment,London (CWGC have down Denis)I have contacted Westminster City Council to confirm the correct spelling.

    On 31 July 1917 north-east of Ypres, Belgium, when his first objective had been captured, Second Lieutenant Hewitt reorganised his company and moved forward. Whilst waiting for the barrage to lift, he was hit by a piece of shell which exploded the signal lights in his haversack and set fire to his equipment and clothes. He extinguished the flames and then, despite his wound and severe pain, he led forward the remnants of the company under a very heavy machine-gun fire and captured and consolidated his objective. He was subsequently killed by a sniper while inspecting the consolidation and encouraging his men
    Dennis George Wyldbore Hewitt - Wikipedia

    Died 31/07/1917

    Aged 19

    2nd Bn. attd. 14th Bn.
    Hampshire Regiment

    V C

    Son of the late Hon. George Hewitt and the Hon. Mrs. G. Hewitt, of Field House, Hursley, Winchester.


    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  3. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    John Dunville,Victoria Cross,Embankment,London

    He was aged 21 and a second lieutenant in the 1st (Royal) Dragoons, British Army during the First World War when he was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions on 25 June 1917 near Épehy, France.

    For most conspicuous bravery. When in charge of a party consisting of scouts and Royal Engineers engaged in the demolition of the enemy's wire, this officer displayed great gallantry and disregard of all personal danger. In order to ensure the absolute success of the work entrusted to him, 2nd Lt. Dunville placed himself between an N.C.O. of the Royal Engineers and the enemy's fire, and, thus protected, this N.C.O. was enabled to complete a work of great importance. 2nd Lt. Dunville, although severely wounded, continued to direct his men in the wire-cutting and general operations until the raid was successfully completed, thereby setting a magnificent example of courage, determination and devotion to duty, to all ranks under his command. This gallant officer has since succumbed to his wounds.

    John Dunville - Wikipedia
    Second Lieutenant DUNVILLE, JOHN SPENCER
    Died 26/06/1917

    Aged 21

    1st (Royal) Dragoons

    V C

    Son of John and Violet Dunville, of Redburn, Holywood, Co. Down.


    Attached Files:

    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  4. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Neville Elliott Cooper,Victoria Cross,Embankment,London

    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty. Hearing that the enemy had broken through our outpost line, he rushed out of his dug-out, and on seeing them advancing across the open he mounted the parapet and dashed forward calling upon the Reserve Company and details of the Battalion Headquarters to follow. Absolutely unarmed, he made straight for the advancing enemy, and under his direction our men forced them back 600 yards. While still some forty yards in front he was severely wounded. Realising that his men were greatly outnumbered and suffering heavy casualties, he signalled to them to withdraw, regardless of the fact that he himself must be taken prisoner. By his prompt and gallant leading he gained time for the reserves to move up and occupy the line of defence.
    Neville Elliott-Cooper - Wikipedia

    Died 11/02/1918

    Aged 29

    8th Bn.
    Royal Fusiliers

    V C, D S O, M C

    Youngest son of Sir Robert Elliott-Cooper, K.C.B. Born in London. Educated at Eton and Sandhurst.



    Attached Files:

    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  5. AB64

    AB64 Senior Member

    Chancing my arm here a little bit - if anyone is attending the unveiling of Frank Crowther Roberts stone (which should be later this month) can they try get me a order of service if there is one? I'm also interested in any local newspaper cuttings (even scans). I have his WW1 Officers Service book so anything extra I can add to paint a picture would be appreciated


  6. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

  7. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    George Pearkes.Victoria Cross,High Street,Watford

    Pearkes was 29 years old, and an acting major during the Battle of Passchendaele when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross (VC):

    For most conspicuous bravery and skilful handling of the troops under his command during the capture and consolidation of considerably more than the objectives allotted to him, in an attack. Just prior to the advance Major Pearkes was wounded in the thigh. Regardless of his wound, he continued to lead his men with the utmost gallantry, despite many obstacles.

    At a particular stage of the attack his further advance was threatened by a strong point which was an objective of the battalion on his left, but which they had not succeeded in capturing. Quickly appreciating the situation, he captured and held this point, thus enabling his further advance to be successfully pushed forward.

    It was entirely due to his determination and fearless personality that he was able to maintain his objective with the small number of men at his command against repeated enemy counter-attacks, both his flanks being unprotected for a considerable depth meanwhile.

    His appreciation of the situation throughout and the reports rendered by him were invaluable to his commanding officer in making dispositions of troops to hold the position captured.

    He showed throughout a supreme contempt of danger and wonderful powers of control and leading.[3]
    George Pearkes - Wikipedia

    upload_2018-4-16_21-20-36.png upload_2018-4-16_21-20-48.png upload_2018-4-16_21-20-59.png upload_2018-4-16_21-21-11.png
    Deacs and Recce_Mitch like this.
  8. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Charles Train,Victoria Cross,Islington Memorial Green,Islington.
    He was 27 years old, and a corporal in the 2/14th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Scottish), British Army, 179th (2/4th London) Brigade, British 60th Division when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    On 8 December 1917 at Ein Kerem, near Jerusalem, in Ottoman controlled Palestine, when his company was unexpectedly engaged at close range by a party of the enemy with two machine-guns and brought to a standstill, Corporal Train on his own initiative rushed forward and engaged the enemy with rifle grenades and succeeded in putting some of the team out of action by a direct hit. He shot and wounded an officer and killed or wounded the remainder of the team. After this he went to the assistance of a comrade who was bombing the enemy from the front and killed one of them who was carrying the second machine-gun out of action.[1]

    Charles William Train - Wikipedia


    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  9. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Frank Roberts,Victoria Cross,,Islington Memorial Green,Islington.
    He was 26 years old, and an acting lieutenant colonel in the 1st Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    During the period 22 March/2 April 1918 west of Somme and at Pargny, France, Lieutenant Colonel Roberts showed exceptional military skill in dealing with the many very difficult situations of the retirement and amazing endurance and energy in inspiring all ranks under his command. On one occasion the enemy attacked a village and had practically cleared it of our troops when Colonel Roberts got together an improvised party and led a counter-attack which temporarily drove the enemy out of the village, thus covering the retirement of troops on their flanks. The success of this action was entirely due to his personal valour and skill.[9]

    Frank Crowther Roberts - Wikipedia

    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  10. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    John Sayer,Victoria Cross,,Islington Memorial Green,Islington.
    He was 38 years old, and a Lance Corporal in the 8th Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment),[1] British Armyduring the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    On 21 March 1918 at Le Verguier, France, Lance Corporal Sayer held the flank of a small isolated post for two hours. Owing to mist the enemy approached from both sides to within 30 yards before being discovered, but the lance corporal, on his own initiative without assistance, beat off a succession of attacks, inflicting heavy losses. During the whole time he was exposed to heavy fire but his contempt of danger and skill in the use of his fire-arms enabled the post to hold out until nearly all the garrison had been killed and he himself wounded and captured. He died as a result of wounds four weeks later.[2][3]

    Sayer's actions on the day have been cited as having an immense effect on holding back the German offensive which stalled as they were held up by the Queen's Regiment defence.[4]

    Lance Corporal SAYER, JOHN WILLIAM
    Service Number 14498

    Died 18/04/1918

    Aged 39

    8th Bn.
    The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

    V C

    Son of Samuel and Margaret Sayer, of Chadwell Heath, Essex; husband of Edith Louise Sayer, of 35, Old London Rd., Hastings, Sussex.


    John William Sayer - Wikipedia
    upload_2018-4-17_19-27-30.png upload_2018-4-17_19-27-48.png
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  11. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Oliver Watson,Victoria Cross,Victoria Embankment London.

    Watson was 41 years old, and an Acting Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 5th Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry(now part of The Rifles) during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    On 28 March 1918 at Rossignol Wood, north of Hebuterne, France, a counter-attack had been made against the enemy position which at first achieved its object, but as they were holding out in two improvised strong-points, Lieutenant Colonel Watson saw that immediate action was necessary and he led his remaining small reserve to the attack, organising bombing parties and leading attacks under intense fire. Outnumbered, he finally ordered his men to retire, remaining himself in a communication trench to cover the retirement. The assault he led was at a critical moment and without doubt saved the line, but he was killed covering the withdrawal.[2][3]

    Oliver Cyril Spencer Watson - Wikipedia
    Died 28/03/1918

    Aged 41

    Middlesex Hussars

    Cdg. 2nd/5th Bn.
    King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

    V C, D S O, Mentioned in Despatches

    Son of William Spencer Watson, F.R.C.S., and Georgine Mary Jane Mair Watson. Served in the Tirah Campaign with 19th Bn. Yorkshire Regt., also served in China during the Boxer rebellion.
    upload_2018-4-17_19-35-46.png upload_2018-4-17_19-35-58.png
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  12. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    George Jarratt,Victoria Cross,Kennington Park,London.

    Jarratt was awarded the VC for a deed which took place when he was 25 years old on 3 May 1917 near Pelves, France. He was a corporal in the 8th Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers,[1] British Army during the First World War.

    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion in deliberately sacrificing his life to save others. He had, together with some wounded men, been taken prisoner and placed under guard in a dug-out. The same evening the enemy were driven back by our troops, the leading infantrymen of which commenced to bomb the dug-outs. A grenade fell in the dugout, and without hesitation Cpl. Jarratt placed both feet on the grenade, the subsequent explosion blowing off both his legs. The wounded were later safely removed to our lines, but Cpl. Jarratt died before he could be removed. By this supreme act of self-sacrifice the lives of these wounded were saved.

    — The London Gazette, 8 June 1917[2][3]

    Corporal JARRATT, GEORGE
    Service Number 55295

    Died 03/05/1917

    Aged 25

    8th Bn.
    Royal Fusiliers

    V C

    Husband of G. M. Jarratt, of 28, Stanley Road, Southgate, Middx.
    upload_2018-4-23_19-21-25.png upload_2018-4-23_19-21-35.png
    Deacs, Recce_Mitch and dbf like this.
  13. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Julian Gribble,Victoria Cross,Sloane Square,London.

    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty. Capt. Gribble was in command of the right company of the battalion when the enemy attacked, and his orders were to ' hold on to the last.' His company was eventually entirely isolated, though he could easily have withdrawn them at one period when the rest of the battalion on his left were driven back to a secondary position. His right flank was ' in the air,' owing to the withdrawal of all troops of a neighbouring division. By means of a runner to the company on his left rear he intimated his determination to hold on until other orders were received from battalion headquarters - and this he inspired his command to accomplish. His company was eventually surrounded by the enemy at close range, and he was seen fighting to the last. His subsequent fate is unknown. By his splendid example of grit, Capt. Gribble was materially instrumental in preventing for some hours the enemy obtaining a complete mastery of the crest of ridge, and by his magnificent self-sacrifice he enabled the remainder of his own brigade to be withdrawn, as well as another garrison and three batteries of field artillery.

    — The London Gazette, No. 30770, 25 June 1918[3][1]
    Julian Royds Gribble - Wikipedia

    Died 25/11/1918

    Aged 21

    1st Bn. attd. 10th Bn.
    Royal Warwickshire Regiment

    V C

    Son of George James Gribble and Norah Gribble (nee Royds), of Kingston Russell House, Dorset.




    Attached Files:

    Deacs and Recce_Mitch like this.
  14. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Harold Mugford,Victoria Cross,Bermondsey War Memorial,Bermondsey,south east London

    On 11 April 1917 at Monchy-le-Preux, France, under intense fire, Lance-Corporal Mugford got his machine-gun into a forward, very exposed position from which he dealt very effectively with the enemy. Almost immediately his No. 2 was killed and he was severely wounded. He was ordered to go to a new position and then have his wounds dressed but this he refused to do, staying to inflict severe damage on the enemy with his gun. Soon afterwards a shell broke both his legs, but he still remained with his gun and when he was at last removed to the dressing station he was again wounded.[1]
    Harold Sandford Mugford - Wikipedia

    upload_2018-5-2_14-28-20.png upload_2018-5-2_14-28-31.png

    Deacs and Recce_Mitch like this.
  15. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Victor Crutchley,Victoria Cross,Sloane Square,London.

    For the award of the Victoria Cross

    This officer was in 'Brilliant' in the unsuccessful attempt to block Ostend on the night of 22nd / 23rd April 1918, and at once volunteered for a further effort. Crutchley acted as 1st Lieutenant of HMS 'Vindictive' and worked with untiring energy fitting out that ship for further service.
    On the night of 9th / 10th May 1918, after his commanding officer had been killed and the second in command severely wounded, Lieutenant Crutchley took command of 'Vindictive' and did his utmost by manoeuvring the engines to place that ship in an effective position. He displayed great bravery both in the 'Vindictive' and in 'ML254', which rescued the crew after the charges had been blown and the former vessel sunk between the piers of Ostend harbour, and did not himself leave the 'Vindictive' until he had made a thorough search with an electric torch for survivors under a very heavy fire.

    Lieutenant Crutchley took command of 'ML254' when the commanding officer sank exhausted from his wounds, the second in command having been killed. The vessel was full of wounded and very seriously damaged by shell fire, the fore part being flooded. With indomitable energy and by dint of baling with buckets and shifting weight aft, Lieutenant Crutchley and the unwounded kept her afloat, but the leaks could not be kept under, and she was in a sinking condition, with her forecastle nearly awash when picked up by HMS 'Warwick'.

    The bearing of this very gallant officer and fine seaman throughout these operations off the Belgian coast was altogether admirable and an inspiring example to all thrown in contact with him.


    upload_2018-5-23_23-10-58.png upload_2018-5-23_23-11-16.png
    Deacs and Recce_Mitch like this.
  16. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Roland Bourke,Victoria Cross,Sloane Square,London
    For the award of the Victoria Cross

    [ London Gazette, 28 August 1918 ], Ostend, Belgium, 9 - 10 May 1918, Lieutenant Commander Rowland Richard Louis Bourke DSO, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

    Volunteered for rescue work in command of ML-276 and followed HMS 'Vindictive' into Ostend, engaging the enemy�s machine guns on both piers with Lewis guns.
    After ML-254 had backed out Lieutenant Bourke laid his vessel alongside 'Vindictive' to make further search. Hearing no one he withdrew, but hearing cries in the water he again entered the harbour, and after a prolonged search eventually found Lieutenant Sir John Alleyne and two ratings all badly wounded, in the water, clinging to an upended skiff, and rescued them.

    During all this time the motor launch was under a very heavy fire at close range, being hit in fifty-five places, once by a 5in shell � two of her small crew being killed, and others wounded. The vessel was seriously damaged and speed greatly reduced. Lieutenant Bourke, however, managed to bring her out and carry on until he fell in with a Monitor, which took him in tow.

    This episode displayed daring and skill of a very high order, and Lieutenant Bourke�s bravery and perseverance undoubtedly saved the lives of Lieutenant Alleyne and two of the 'Vindictive's crew.

    upload_2018-5-23_23-14-42.png upload_2018-5-23_23-14-58.png upload_2018-5-23_23-15-28.png
    Deacs and Recce_Mitch like this.
  17. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Geoffrey Drummond:Victoria Cross,Embankment,London.
    On 9/10 May 1918 at Ostend, Belgium, Lieutenant Drummond commanding HMML (Motor Launch) 254, volunteered for rescue work and was following HMS Vindictive to the harbour when a shell burst on board killing an officer and a deck hand and badly wounding the coxswain and Lieutenant Drummond. Notwithstanding his wounds, this officer brought M.L. 254 alongside Vindictive and then took off two officers and 38 men, some of whom were killed or wounded while embarking. He retained consciousness long enough to back his vessel away from the piers and towards the open sea before collapsing exhausted from his wounds.[1][2]

    Geoffrey Drummond - Wikipedia

    upload_2018-6-6_18-59-31.png upload_2018-6-6_18-59-41.png
    Service Number LT/JX 211029

    Died 21/04/1941

    Aged 55

    H.M.S. Pembroke.
    Royal Naval Patrol Service

    formerly Lieut. Comdr.
    Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

    V C

    Legion D'Honneur. Son of Capt. Algernon Heneage Drummond, formerly of The Rifle Brigade, and of Margaret Elizabeth Drummond (nee Benson); husband of Maude Aylmer Tindal Drummond (nee Bosanquet), of Chalfont St. Peter.


    The following details are given in the London Gazette of August 28th, 1918

    On the night of May 9th-10th, 1918, Lieut. G. H. Drummond, in command of M.L. 254, although severely wounded by a shell which burst on board, remained on the bridge and navigated his badly damaged vessel into Ostend Harbour. He placed her alongside Vindictive and took off two officers and thirty-eight men, some of whom were killed and many wounded while embarking. Not until there was no one left alive on the Vindictive did he back his vessel clear of the piers before sinking exhausted from his wounds. It was due to the indomitable courage of this very gallant officer that the majority of the crew of the Vindictive were rescued.
    Recce_Mitch and Deacs like this.
  18. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Alfred Fleming-Sandes,Victoria Cross,Streatham Common,London

    On 29 September 1915 at the Hohenzollern Redoubt, France, Second Lieutenant Fleming-Sandes was sent to command a company which was in a very critical position. His men, very much shaken by continual bombing and machine-gun fire, were beginning to retire, but the second lieutenant collected a few bombs and jumping on the parapet in full view of the Germans, only 20 yards (18 m) away, threw them. Although severely wounded almost at once, he continued to advance and throw bombs until he was again wounded. This act put new heart into his men and saved the situation

    Arthur Fleming-Sandes - Wikipedia

  19. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Frederick Johnson,Victoria Cross,Streatham Common,London.

    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty in the attack on Hill 70 on 25 September 1915. Second Lieutenant Johnson was with a section of his company of the Royal Engineers. Although wounded in the leg, he stuck to his duty throughout the attack, led several charges on the German redoubt, and at a very critical time, under very heavy fire, repeatedly rallied the men who were near him. By his splendid example and cool courage he was mainly instrumental in saving the situation and in establishing firmly his part of the position which had been taken. He remained at his post until relieved in the evening.
    Frederick Henry Johnson - Wikipedia

    Died 26/11/1917

    Aged 27

    Cdg. 231st Field Coy.
    Royal Engineers

    V C

    Native of Streatham, London.

  20. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Geoffrey Cather,Victoria Cross,Streatham Common,London

    For most conspicuous bravery. From 7 p.m. till midnight he searched 'No Man's Land', and brought in three wounded men. Next morning at 8 a.m. he continued his search, brought in another wounded man, and gave water to others, arranging for their rescue later. Finally, at 10.30 a.m., he took out water to another man, and was proceeding further on when he was himself killed. All this was carried out in full view of the enemy, and under direct machine gun fire and intermittent artillery fire. He set a splendid example of courage and self sacrifice[4]
    Geoffrey Cather - Wikipedia

    Died 02/07/1916

    Aged 25

    Adjt. 9th Bn.
    Royal Irish Fusiliers

    V C

    Son of the late Mr. R. G. Cather and of Mrs. M. M. Cather, of Limpsfield, Surrey.

    Attached Files:

Share This Page