Applying for UK service record from Australia

Discussion in 'Service Records' started by dazza_bo, Apr 28, 2020.

  1. dazza_bo

    dazza_bo Member

    Hi all,

    As seems to be the best first step in researching a family member's military service I would like to send away for a copy of my grandfather's service record from the MOD. I have no doubt this will not be a problem with appropriate forms and death certificate but my question is about the method of payment.

    Have any other Aussies applied for service records from the UK? Did you pay via international bank draft? £30 is currently about $57 AUD and my bank charges an additional $30 AUD to issue an international bank draft. Of course you can't put a price on information this important to your family so I will happily pay whatever it costs, just wondering what everyone's individual experience was like. :)

    Thank you,
  2. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Don'tre member

  3. dazza_bo

    dazza_bo Member

    Thanks TD, I will have a look into it.
  4. Tony56

    Tony56 Member Patron

    They don't do plastic and there is no online facility so international money order for the £30 has to be it I think. From the site:
    "You can pay by cheque or postal order - or by banker’s draft or international money order if you’re overseas."
    Tricky Dicky likes this.
  5. dazza_bo

    dazza_bo Member

    Yeah looks that way. It's a shame there is no online transfer option but like I said, I'm happy to pay whatever they ask and via whatever method they ask.

    Thanks Tony.
  6. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Don'tre member

    The problem could be is that if they dont find records they dont cash the cheque, its more difficult perhaps if you have accepted online transfers to then return that if nothing is found

    Its a guess on my part but I can see its simpler with a cheque, - just rip it up and bin it

  7. dazza_bo

    dazza_bo Member

    That's a very good point!
  8. travers1940

    travers1940 Well-Known Member

    Some of the larger companies like American Express, Western Union etc may also provide a money order at a lower cost. Have never used this so can't reccomend any specific companies.

    Though 30 AUD for a draft from your bank may be the cheapest & has the advantage that is it is easily stoppable from Aus if lost in the post.

    Do you have any relatives in UK who you could transfer the funds to & then they send a cheque for you if you send them the form ?
    Tricky Dicky likes this.
  9. bofors

    bofors Senior Member

    HI Dan

    Yes I sent a cheque when I did my Father's record, not cheap but as you said...
    Hope it goes well.


    dazza_bo likes this.
  10. dazza_bo

    dazza_bo Member

    I actually do have relatives in the UK, I hadn't thought about asking them. Good idea.
  11. GeoffMNZ

    GeoffMNZ Well-Known Member

    I was to visit UK from NZ, so I prepared all the papers before I left, gave my Aunt in England cash in exchange for her cheque, sent it all off and the results were at home in NZ when I got back.
    dazza_bo and Tricky Dicky like this.
  12. Reid

    Reid Historian & Architectural Photographer

    Did this a couple of years back - I actually went to the Post Office for a postal order and had it made out to the MOD. Worked fine and I got the paperwork about 8 weeks later.

    Agree, the price gouge of banks suck, but if I couldn't use a PO, I'd bite the bullet for the cheque anyway. The info I got was well worth it.
    dazza_bo and bofors like this.

Share This Page