Please help

Discussion in 'Service Records' started by David Hayle, Jun 5, 2018.

  1. David Hayle

    David Hayle Member

    Hi I'm trying to research my grandads war records but on a quick search I am unable to find him so am reluctant to sign up and pay if they don't exist..i don't have too much information but because like most he never really spoke much about the war but apparently he was involved in operation market garden and in the 3rd battalion of an unknown unit at this time.. His name was Oliver Henry Hayle, I know that he died in 1997 and based on bm&d he was born 1921. When I did a quick free search I can see a Oliver Hale who was attached to the Northamptonshire regiment which is local to the family but the birthrate was 1917... Is it likely that the surname spelling and dob would be listed wrong? I wouldn't have thought so but if someone could take a quick look it would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get more details from the family to aid my search
  2. alieneyes

    alieneyes Senior Member


    Right of you to be concerned. All WWII service files are held by the MoD. If you're going to spend money I'd suggest you get his service file. There are plenty of people on Talk who will be able to help you with terminology etc.

    Request records of deceased service personnel


    David Hayle likes this.
  3. timuk

    timuk Well-Known Member

    Is this him?
    Name: Oliver Henry Hayle
    Death Age: 76
    Birth Date: 20 May 1921
    Registration Date: Oct 1997
    Registration district: Milton Keynes
    Inferred County: Buckinghamshire
    Register Number: A19B
    District and Subdistrict: 3261A

    With his date of birth you can apply, as above Post, for his Service Records. You will also need a copy of his death certificate, which you can easily obtain if you haven't already got one.
    If you are his immediate next of kin or can obtain the consent of his next of kin you will be able to get his full Service Record. Costs £30
    and usually well worth it.
    stolpi likes this.
  4. David Hayle

    David Hayle Member

    Yes that is him, thanks Tim my nan is the immediate next of kin so I need her consent I was wondering first if he can be seen on any other search registers linked to the army because I'm guessing that you can apply through the gov website and potentially get nothing? I was just surprised that I couldn't see him on any war record searches and it was then trying to sign me up and take money which is pointless if he is not there
  5. David Hayle

    David Hayle Member

    Cheers Dave
  6. 51highland

    51highland Very Senior Member

    If your Nan is still with us, apply in her name and the records are free.!!!
    David Hayle likes this.
  7. David Hayle

    David Hayle Member

    Thanks for your reply is that application made through the .gov website?
  8. 51highland

    51highland Very Senior Member

    I believe so. I perhaps should have said apply using all her info, name address etc.
    David Hayle likes this.
  9. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Dave as advised only apply via the government site do not sign up and pay for service records anywhere else
    read through it its simple to apply and yes its free if your Nan applies
    Get a copy of military service records

    alieneyes and David Hayle like this.
  10. timuk

    timuk Well-Known Member

    Really the only way forward is to obtain his Service Records using the MOD website. The other websites are commercial, and whilst useful in many circumstances only contain information which they have transcribed from other records.They are not official MOD or Army sites. Be patient the MOD takes about 6 weeks to respond (at one time it was months!).
    Once you have his records post them on this site and Forum members will help you interpret them. Once you have the details of the units he served with and the dates he was serving with them you will be amazed at the amount of knowledge that some members have (not me) and the effort they go to in helping you to build a picture of your grandad's service in the Army.

    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. Owen

    Owen -- --- -.. MOD

    Have you got any photos of him in uniform ?
    David Hayle likes this.
  12. David Hayle

    David Hayle Member

    Yes I do need to go to my nans to get it though and apparently nailed to the fireplace is a cap badge so maybe it's his actual one. Thanks for your help and taking time to reply to me
  13. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    David as you know if your not sure just ask.There is a wealth of expertise on this forum and they will help you as much as they can.
    dont forget ask your Nan questions about that era and make notes every little helps to build the picture.

    David Hayle likes this.

Share This Page