Joseph Haythorne

Discussion in 'General' started by munchkin, May 2, 2017.

  1. munchkin

    munchkin Junior Member

    Good morning everyone,

    My Grandfather Joseph Haythorne (b 1905 d 1964 in Sheffield, United Kingdom), was in the Tank Regiment and in the desert as i was told as a child. Now its time to research him, but i dont have his army number. Is there a way that i can get this please?
    Kind regards
  2. James Harvey

    James Harvey Senior Member

    Get his death certificate

    Google claiming ww2 service records from mod its a .gov site

    Fill in the paperwork with full name date of birth and death

    Full in any other information you have

    Post off to them with cheque for £30 and copy of death certificate

    They will search for you and post the records to you
  3. RCG

    RCG Senior Member, Deceased

    Forces war records come up with one.
    J Haythorne (no number) 2nd Lt 1945 Army Cadet force York.
    and a J F Haythorn 1947 Civilian.
    But then Forces records are pretty useless (I have told them that) as there are many soldiers that I have names and numbers for, that are not listed on that site.
    As James says, get the records from the horses mouth.:)
    Get a copy of military service records - GOV.UK
  4. munchkin

    munchkin Junior Member

    Thanks both. I was under the impression that when the paperwork came you needed the soldiers service number, but if it's that easy i will download the form from .GOV and send the cheque today.
    Many thanks
  5. James Harvey

    James Harvey Senior Member

    No as I didn't know my grandfathers service number.

    As long as you know dob and place of birth and a rough idea of where living then they can trace

Share This Page