RAF Australians Killed WW2 - Who and What I have found so far!

Discussion in 'The War In The Air' started by spidge, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. spidge


    My research into Australians killed in the RAF has taken thousands of hours of research. While the number who actually fought under the RAF/UK umbrella is not quite clear, the number killed or died is possibly a few more than the 250 I have found. Many were a surprise and many I had never heard of. Some of these may be on other threads however here they will be all together.

    In this thread I will concentrate on those from Air Chief Marshal to Group Captain.

    If anyone has anything to add I would be most appreciative.

    See Post #2.
    James S likes this.
  2. spidge


    bomber | 1937 | 2651 | Flight Archive

    Mitchell, Sir William Gore Sutherland (1888-1944), air force officer, was born
    in Cumberland, New South Wales, Australia, on 8 March 1888, the son of
    William Broadfoot Mitchell, a brewery owner of Sydney, and his second
    wife, Edith Gore. He was educated in England at Wellington College
    (1902-6), where he captained the rugby fifteen. On leaving school he
    was commissioned into the special reserve battalion of the Devonshire
    regiment, and he transferred to the regular army in 1909, when he
    joined the Highland light infantry. 'In common with other enterprising
    and adventurous officers of the period, he was seized with a desire to
    fly' and he obtained his Royal Aero Club pilot's certificate
    (no. 483) in May 1913. Having qualified at the Central Flying School
    at Upavon in December 1913, he was seconded to the Royal Flying Corps

    On the outbreak of the First World War, on 13 August 1914 Mitchell went to
    France with 4 squadron as part of the original RFC deployment in
    support of the British expeditionary force.
    Flying the B.E.2 and Farman S.7, he took part in the retreat from
    Mons. As a temporary captain he was sent home to command 10 squadron,
    which, equipped with B.E.2c aircraft, he took to France in July 1915,
    later taking part in the battle of Loos. After serving on the Somme,
    where he was awarded the MC and promotion to lieutenant-colonel, he
    commanded the twelfth wing at Arras from the spring of 1917.
    He was appointed to the DSO, mentioned four times in dispatches, and
    awarded the AFC. In 1918 he took over 20 group in north-west Africa,
    and the following year he was awarded a permanent commission in the
    Royal Air Force, with the rank of wing commander. Later in 1919 he
    went to India, where he commanded the RAF wing on operations in
    Waziristan (1922-23) and was twice mentioned in dispatches and awarded the CBE.

    On 31 October 1919 he married Essy Gordon Jane, the daughter of
    Lieutenant-Colonel William Plant, Indian army, and the widow of Captain F. L. Hingston of the Duke of Cornwall's light infantry. Their
    only child died in infancy. The popular couple were known to their
    many friends as the Mitches and he to his colleagues as Ginger Mitch.

    Following his return to England in 1924, Mitchell commanded the Flying Training
    School at Netheravon, Wiltshire, then went to RAF Halton,
    Buckinghamshire, as second in command, in both posts demonstrating his
    capacity for and interest in training youth. In 1928 he went to Aden
    to command the station when the RAF took over responsibility for the
    protectorate from the army. He returned to the Air Ministry in October
    1929 as director of training until 1933, when he was made commandant
    of the RAF College at Cranwell and was promoted air vice-marshal. At
    Halton he had hunted and at Cranwell he played polo, where, although
    critics found fault with his seat, his enthusiasm was boundless. He
    then spent two years, from 1935, as air officer commanding British forces in Iraq, returning, in 1937, to become air member for personnel
    at the Air Ministry. Knighted (KCB) in 1938 and promoted air chief
    marshal, he served in Egypt as air officer commanding, Middle East, from 1939 to 1940 and was inspector-general of the RAF from 1940 to

    Mitchell's final responsibility in the RAF demanded his zeal, leadership, and organizational skills, as he was based in Glasgow to
    oversee the distribution, installation, and speedy completion of the
    chain of radio direction-finding (radar) stations on the highlands and
    islands of Scotland. Described by the air minister as 'temporary work
    of exceptional importance', his task was completed by September 1941,
    and he was placed on the retired list. This enabled him to take up his
    new post as gentleman usher of the black rod in the House of Lords-the
    first officer of the RAF to be appointed to that post.

    Mitchell was commandant of the Air Training Corps in London and Essex and was
    at Lord's watching his cadets play the army at cricket on the day of
    his death. He died of a cerebral thrombosis at his home, 14 Eresby
    House, Rutland Gate, Westminster, London, on 15 August 1944, survived
    by his wife, and was buried at Putney Vale cemetery four days later.

    Robin Woolven

    The Times (17 Aug 1944) + The Times (18 Aug 1944) + The Times (21 Aug
    1944) + The Times (26 Aug 1944) + TNA: PRO, file AIR 19/281
    [appointment to office of black rod] + DNB + Royal Air Force Lists
    (1918-41) + Wellington College Record
    (1913) + Wellington College Record (1933) + Wellington College Record
    (1948) + d. cert. + Burke, Peerage (1939) Likenesses W. Stoneman,
    photograph, 1938, NPG Wealth at death £3461 4s. 8d.: probate, 1945,
    CGPLA Eng. & Wales

    From Hansard - THE LATE AIR CHIEF MARSHAL SIR WILLIAM MITCHELL. (Hansard, 26 September 1944)

    HL Deb 26 September 1944 vol 133 cc117-8 117
    My Lords, since the House last assembled, your Lordships will have been grieved to learn of the sudden death of a distinguished and important official of the House, Air Chief Marshal Sir William Mitchell, who for the last three years has held the post of Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod. Sir William was the first representative of the Air Force to hold this position, as it had previously been occupied either by a distinguished soldier or a distinguished sailor. His association with the Air Force went back to the very beginnings of the Royal Flying Corps; he gained his certificate as a qualified pilot in the summer of 1913; and when, at the outbreak of the last war, the four squadrons of the original Air Force went to France, he took part in No. 4 Squadron. By 1916 he was commanding a newly-raised squadron in the Battle of the Somme. In 1917 he was promoted to become what would now be called a Wing Commander, and served in the Battle of Arras, where he gained his D.S.O., and he rendered eminent flying service in various capacities right through the war.

    Between the wars Sir William had a most distinguished career in India and at Aden and then, in 1933, he became Commandant of the newly-formed R.A.F. College at Cranbrook. His service in the Air Force carried him to the position of Inspector-General, which he held until his appointment three years ago to official service in connexion with this House. Although his services as Black Rod were so regrettably short, Sir William Mitchell had impressed us all with his attention to duty, his dignified bearing and his in-variable courtesy. We sincerely deplore the loss of the official and friend who was always ready to be kind and helpful in arranging for the accommodation of visitors and in other ways, and who has now passed from the world at the early age of fifty-six. Your Lordships will, I feel sure, wish that a message of condolence and sympathy should be sent to his widow and his relatives.
    My Lords, I should like, on behalf of my noble friends to support the suggestion made by the noble and learned Viscount. It was not my good fortune, as it was of the noble Viscount sitting beyond the Gangway just below me (Lord Trenchard), to know at first hand the record of his service in the Air Force of one for whose loss we express our regret to-day, but I do know that all my friends feel that we received from him constant and tactful helpfulness. We should like to testify how much we appreciated the ability and kindliness with which he discharged his duty to this House, and to associate ourselves with what the noble and learned Viscount has said.

    My Lords, in every quarter of the House the sudden and unexpected death of our late Black Rod is deeply regretted. After many years in the highest posts of the Royal Air Force, Sir William Mitchell entered the service of this House, and it is pleasant to think that one of the Houses of the Imperial Parliament should have had as one of its principal officers a man who was Australian born. All of us have had experience on many occasions of his helpfulness and courtesy, and we all join in the expression of sympathy which the Lord Chancellor has proposed to send to his relatives.

    Air Chief Marshal
    London ATC
    16/08/1944 56
    RAF UK

    William Gore Sutherland b: 8 Mar 1888

    r: 1 Jul 1941
    d: 15 Aug 1944
    KCB - 1 Jan 1938
    (CB - 1 Jan 1935),
    CBE - 30 May 1924,
    DSO - 1 Jan 1918,
    MC - 1 Jan 1917,
    AFC - 3 Jun 1919,
    MiD - 19 Oct 1914
    MiD - 9Dec 1914
    MiD - 1 Jan 1916,
    MiD - 11 Dec 1917,
    MiD - 10 Jun 1921,
    MiD - 30 May 1924.
    (Army): - 2 Lt: 15 Aug 1906,
    Lt: 4 Nov 1911,
    (T) Capt: 15 Jan 1915,
    Capt: 17 May 1915,
    (T) Maj: 1 Mar 1916,
    (T) Lt Col: 18 Dec 1916.
    (RAF): - (T) Lt Col [Maj]: 1 Apr 1918,
    (T) Col: 9 Jul 1918,
    Wg Cdr: 1 Aug 1919 [FONT="][1 Apr 1918][/FONT],
    Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1924,
    A/Cdre: 1 Jul 1929,
    AVM: 1 Jul 1933,
    AM: 1 Jul 1937,
    Act ACM (unpd): 9 Sep 1939 - 13 May 1940,
    ACM: Retained.
    (RAFO Class CC): - Wg Cdr: 13 Jul 1942.

    15 Aug 1906: Officer, 4th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).
    28 Jun 1908: Officer, 3rd Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).
    xx xxx 1909: Officer, Highland Light Infantry. (RAeC Certificate No 483)
    xx xxx 1913: Attended Central Flying School.
    17 Dec 1913: Pilot, No 4 Sqn RFC. (Various types – Netheravon/Western Front)
    15 Jan 1915: Flight Commander, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – UK/Western Front)
    1 Jun 1916: Officer Commanding, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – Western Front)
    18 Dec 1916: Officer Commanding, 12th (Corps) Wing RFC.
    9 Jul 1918: Officer Commanding, No 20 Group.
    1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Lieutenant Colonel
    6 Jan 1920: Officer Commanding, No 52 (Corps) Wing. (India)
    1 Apr 1920: Officer Commanding, No 3 (Indian) Wing. (re-designated No 1 (Indian) Wing)
    10 Jul 1920: Officer Commanding, No 1 (Indian) Wing, Wiziristan.
    28 Mar 1924: Officer Commanding, No 1 FTS.
    19 Jan 1925: Group Captain - Admin, HQ RAF Halton./OC No 1 SoTT (Boys)
    8 Mar 1928: Officer Commanding, Aden Command.
    4 Oct 1929: Director of Training.
    30 Jan 1933: AOC, RAF Cranwell/Commandant, RAF College.
    31 Dec 1934: AOC, British Forces in Iraq.
    1 Jul 1937: Air Member for Personnel.
    21 Mar 1938: Supernumerary, HQ No 6 (Auxiliary) Group.
    23 Mar 1939: AOC in C, RAF Middle East.
    24 May 1940: Inspector-General of the RAF.
    1 Oct 1941: Reverted to Retired List retaining the rank of Air Chief Marshal.
    26 Sep 1941 Appointed Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod
    13 Jul 1942: Appointed to commission in Class CC of RAFO, Admin and Special Duties branch
    xx xxx 1942 - 15 Aug 1944: Commandant, London Command - ATC.
    He was awarded RAeC No 483 on 17 May 1913. Retiring from the RAF in 1941, he became the first RAF officer and Australian to hold the post of 'Black Rod' in the House of Lords. With the expansion of the Air Training Corps following it's formation in 1941, there became a growing need for decentralising the command structure as a result of which he was appointed Commandant of London Command in 1942, a post he held until his death at the early age of 56 from a heart attack.
  3. spidge


    DRUMMOND, Sir PETER ROY MAXWELL (1894-1945)K C B, D S O and Bar, O B E, M C, Twice Mentioned in Despatches, air force officer, was born on 2 June 1894 in Perth and registered as Roy Maxwell, son of John Maxwell Drummond, merchant, and his wife Caroline, née Lockhart. Educated at Scotch College, Perth, young Drummond served in the cadets and passed the senior and higher public examinations set by the University of Adelaide. On 10 September 1914 he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force, giving his occupation as bank clerk. His slight build was deemed to preclude active service and in November he was posted to the 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital as a medical orderly. In December he embarked for the Middle East and by April 1915 was in a hospital ship off Gallipoli. He assisted surgeons who operated by candlelight in primitive conditions, and was struck by 'the ghastly sight' of the wounded. Suffering from dysentery and debility, he was evacuated to England where he was hospitalized.

    In December Drummond applied for a commission in the Royal Flying Corps. He had 'mixed feelings' when he was discharged from the A.I.F. on 14 April 1916 and appointed temporary second lieutenant. After flying-training at Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex, in September he was attached as a pilot to No.1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, based in Egypt. While serving with this unit, he won the Military Cross for an action in which he was engaged against six enemy aircraft; the citation noted his 'skill and courage on all occasions'.

    Promoted temporary captain, in October 1917 Drummond joined No.111 Squadron, R.F.C., which was equipped with Nieuports and S.E.5a's. In December he and his observer engaged three German fighters over Tul Keram, Palestine, and destroyed them all. Drummond was awarded the Distinguished Service Order. His single-handed fight against six enemy scouts in March 1918 resulted in the destruction of two and the award of a Bar to his D.S.O. From July he commanded No.145 Squadron, Royal Air Force. He was promoted acting major in September and mentioned in dispatches for the attacks he made on Turkish infantry next month. His seven-and-a-half confirmed 'kills' included six of the Albatros DV type. In August 1919 he received a permanent commission in the R.A.F.

    As acting squadron leader, in 1920 Drummond commanded 'H' Unit which accompanied a punitive expedition against the Garjak Nuers in south-eastern Sudan. Following four weeks of bombing and machine-gunning, the rebels capitulated. Drummond returned to England and was appointed O.B.E. (1921). He graduated from the R.A.F. Staff College, Andover, in 1923, then worked directly to Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh (Viscount) Trenchard at the Air Ministry. Between 1925 and 1929 Drummond was on loan to the Royal Australian Air Force, and was director of operations and intelligence at Headquarters in Melbourne. He acted as aide to Air Marshal Sir John Salmond who visited Australia in 1928 to report on the R.A.A.F. On 17 July 1929 Drummond married Isabel Rachael Mary Drake-Brockman at St John's Anglican Church, Toorak; they were to have a son and two daughters.

    Back in England, in 1930 Drummond attended the Imperial Defence College, London. Next year he was promoted wing commander and given command of Tangmere, Sussex, an important fighter station in Britain's air-defence system. In 1933-36 he was again at the Air Ministry. While commanding R.A.F. Station, Northolt, Middlesex, in January 1937 he was promoted group captain.

    He returned to the Middle East in November as senior air staff officer in the R.A.F. Middle East Command. There, he built the infrastructure for a modern air force. The task was almost completed when Italy entered the war (10 June 1940) and the region became an operational theatre. Drummond had risen to air commodore and in January 1941 was promoted air vice marshal. On 1 June Air Chief Marshal (Sir) Arthur (Baron) Tedder took over as air commander-in-chief, Middle East, and Drummond was appointed his deputy, as acting (temporary June 1943) air marshal. Together they developed the concept of a mobile strike-force capable of co-operating fully with the other two services.

    In 1942 Drummond rejected the post of chief of the Air Staff, R.A.A.F. which had been offered to him in an attempt to solve the crisis in the service's higher command arrangements in the South-West Pacific Area. The Australian government raised the matter once more in April 1943, but the Air Ministry refused to release Drummond who had been selected to become air member for training on the Air Council. In Tedder's opinion, the Air Ministry's decision was wise; he later referred to Drummond's ability and support as important factors in winning the war in North Africa.

    Drummond was responsible for managing part of the Empire Air Training Scheme. He contributed to the bungling which led to a massive surplus of aircrew receiving instruction. By May 1944 he thought that only high casualty rates in the planned invasion of Europe would take up the over-supply. Appointed C.B. in 1941, he was elevated to K.C.B. in 1943. He then formally took his nickname Peter—which he had acquired at Scotch College—as an additional Christian name.

    Five ft 7¼ ins (171 cm) tall, with a fair complexion, brown eyes and brown hair, Drummond had a pleasant, unaffected manner which made him popular among all ranks. On 27 March 1945, en route to Canada, the Liberator in which he was travelling was lost near the Azores. The aircraft was never found: Drummond and its other occupants were presumed to have died that day. The Imperial War Museum holds a portrait of Sir Peter by Eric Kennington and the Air Ministry another by Cuthbert Orde.

    Select Bibliography

    Dictionary of National Biography, 1941-1950; P. Firkins, The Golden Eagles (Perth, 1980); Times (London), 17 Aug 1917, 27 Mar, 27 July, 26 Aug 1918; PRO Air 2/5943 (National Archives of the United Kingdom); Australian War Memorial records. More on the resources

    Author: John McCarthy

    Print Publication Details: John McCarthy, 'Drummond, Sir Peter Roy Maxwell (1894 - 1945)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 14, Melbourne University Press, 1996, pp 39-40.

    Peter Roy Maxwell (Sir) Drummond

    Rank: Air Marshal

    Unit: Air Member for Training Air Council

    Service: Royal Air Force

    Conflict: 1939-1945

    Date of death: 27 March 1945

    Cause of death: Aircraft crash

    Cemetery or memorial details: Runnymede Memorial, United Kingdom

    Notes: For further information refer to publication R940.544941 S886a held in the Research Centre's reference collection.
  4. Peter Clare

    Peter Clare Very Senior Member

    DRUMMOND, Sir PETER ROY MAXWELL (1894-1945)K C B, D S O and Bar, O B E, M C, Twice Mentioned in Despatches

    26-March 1945

    45 Gp CF

    Liberator II AL504
    Between Azores and Ottawa

    This aircraft was amongst the most well known individual aircraft of the war. During its production, there was a requirement for a VIP transport version of the Liberator and this airframe was uprated to a passenger transport, although to a fairly basic standard and without pressurisation. It was then used by senior British VIPs, including the Prime Minister who flew in it to Moscow via Cairo and Tehran. The aircraft was given the name 'Commando' and was subsequently modified with an extended fuselage and a single tail fin, similar to the final versions of the Liberator. The aircraft had taken off from Northolt and is believed to have crashed off the Azores. No trace was found nor was the cause determined. However, later in the year, after another Liberator transport was lost on the Atlantic route, a comment was made about standards of workmanship at the Consolidated works and the RAF's fleet of late mark Liberators was subjected to close scrutiny.

    Wing Commander William Hugh BIDDELL QBE DFC Pilot
    Flight Sergeant Aubrey Norman BRODIE Co-Pilot Flight Lieutenant Kenneth George SHEA RAAF Navigator Flight Lieutenant David BUCHANAN RCAF Navigator
    Frederick William WILLIAMS Radio Officer
    Pilot Officer Douglas James SPENCE RCAF
    Victor Claude James BANNISTER Steward
    Air Marshal Sir Peter Roy Maxwell DRUMMOND 50 KCB DSO & Bar QBE MC
    Commander Rupert Arnold BRABNER 33 DSO DSC MP Under Secretary of State for Air
    Sir John Bradley ABRAHAM 61
    Squadron Leader Elisha Gladdis PLUM 47
    Herbert Albert JONES 51
    Eric ROBINSON 35
    Edward TWENTYMAN 57

    'Though Without Anger' - Cummings
  5. spidge


    Thanks Peter.

    Fantastic info - Thank You.


  6. spidge



    Some photos - If you have any more photos of Sir William Mitchell, I would be most appreciative if you could let me know.

    Mitchell_Sir WGS Grave .jpg

    Putney Vale Cemetery Sir William (Gore Sutherland) Mitchell Photo 1933.jpg

    Mitchell Times Funeral 21.08.1944.jpg

    Would anyone know this address - If so, I would be grateful for a photo!
    He died of a cerebral thrombosis at his home, 14 Eresby
    House, Rutland Gate, Westminster, London, on 15 August 1944, survived
    by his wife, and was buried at Putney Vale cemetery four days later.
  7. KevinBattle

    KevinBattle Senior Member

    Spidge, if you can get Google Earth, it has Streetview of practically all of the UK and many other Countries. That should help you look at various locations yourself and screen print the view you like best....
  8. spidge


    Spidge, if you can get Google Earth, it has Streetview of practically all of the UK and many other Countries. That should help you look at various locations yourself and screen print the view you like best....

    Hi Kevin,

    Does it give a face/frontal view??
  9. spidge


    (Air Marshal) DRUMMOND, Sir PETER ROY MAXWELL (1894-1945) K C B, D S O and Bar, O B E, M C, (MID 2 )

    Drummond _Sir Peter Roy Maxwell 1.jpg

    Drummond _Sir Peter Roy Maxwell 2.jpg

    Air Vice Marshal Drummond (left) with British Minister of State of the Middle East Richard Casey (centre) and Air Marshal Sir Arthur Tedder (right) in May 1942

    View attachment 26542

    Sir Peter Roy Maxwell Drummond (1894 - 1945), by unknown photographer, c1942 , courtesy of Australian War Memorial. MED0261. .
    Image Details
  10. spidge


    Air Vice Marshal McCLOUGHRY, WILFRED ASHTON (1894-1943) and EDGAR JAMES (1896-1972), airmen, were the first and second sons of James Kingston McCloughry, draper, from Larne, Northern Ireland, and his Australian-born wife Charlotte Rebecca, née Ashton. Wilfred was born on 26 November 1894 at Knightsbridge, Adelaide, and Edgar on 10 September 1896 at Hindmarsh. Wilfred later changed his surname to McClaughry and Edgar became Kingston-McCloughry.

    Wilfred was educated at Queen's School, North Adelaide, University of Adelaide and the Adelaide School of Mines. Commissioned into the Australian Military Forces in 1913, he transferred to the Australian Imperial Force in 1914 and went overseas with the 9th Light Horse Regiment. On Gallipoli from May to August 1915 he was wounded twice. Seconded to the Royal Flying Corps in March 1916, after flying training he served in a home defence squadron operating against German airships. He joined No.100 Squadron, the R.F.C.'s first night bomber unit, on its formation and in March 1917 accompanied it to France as a flight commander. He was awarded the Military Cross in July.

    One of the experienced Australians in the R.F.C. selected to strengthen the expanding Australian Flying Corps, Wilfred joined the Second Squadron and accompanied it to France as a flight commander in September 1917. In October he was recalled to England to command the Fourth Squadron and took that overseas in December. Quiet but firm, he led one of the most efficient Sopwith Camel squadrons on the Western Front in 1918. He flew frequent daylight missions and undertook several risky night sorties against enemy heavy bombers in Camels not equipped for night flying. Credited with three victories, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Distinguished Service Order and was mentioned in dispatches three times.

    On General Birdwood's recommendation Wilfred obtained a permanent commission in the Royal Air Force in August 1919 as squadron leader. In 1922 he attended the first R.A.F. Staff College course and graduated from the Imperial Defence College in 1931. Promoted group captain in July 1934, he was posted to Egypt and in July 1936, as acting air commodore, he was appointed air officer commanding Aden Command. On 27 April 1940 he married Angela Grace Maria Segalir; this was his second marriage, the first having been dissolved.

    During the battle of Britain Wilfred commanded No.9 Fighter Group and in 1942, appointed C.B. and air vice marshal, became Air Officer Commanding, Egypt. On 4 January 1943 he died in an aircraft crash near Heliopolis and was buried in Cairo war cemetery. Electric chimes in the Congregational Church, Brougham Place, Adelaide, were later dedicated to his memory and his portrait by Cuthbert Orde is in his widow's possession.

    Edgar was educated at Adelaide University and the South Australian School of Mines. Commissioned into the A.M.F. in May 1915, he transferred in December to the A.I.F. After service in Egypt and France with the Australian Engineers he was seconded to the R.F.C. in December 1916 for training as a pilot, graduated in August 1917 and was posted to No.23 Squadron, R.F.C., in France. He was soon invalided to hospital in England after a serious crash. He was a flying instructor in the Sixth Training Squadron, A.F.C., then was posted in June 1918 as a flight commander and temporary captain to Wilfred's Fourth Squadron in France. Within four months Edgar was credited with shooting down nineteen enemy aeroplanes and four balloons and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and Distinguished Flying Cross and Bar and mentioned in dispatches. A few fellow airmen, however, considered that some of his claims were over-enthusiastic. He was twice wounded. On leaving the A.F.C. in August 1919, Edgar, now known as Kingston, graduated M.A. at Cambridge in mechanical science, worked in the engineering industry, then joined the R.A.F. with a short service commission in December 1922, obtaining a permanent commission on 1 January 1926. His later postings included staff courses at Andover and Camberley.

    Good-looking and ambitious, Kingston was reserved but at times outspoken. His closeness to leading political figures caused some displeasure to his service chiefs. In 1940, while an air commodore, he drew the attention of various prominent people to what he considered false information about Britain's effective aircraft strength presented to Cabinet by the R.A.F. This unconventional action was damaging to his career; he later attributed to it his failure to achieve the rank of air marshal and a knighthood. Of his several responsible positions, the most important was chairman of the Allied Expeditionary Air Force Bombing Committee which produced the tactical and strategic bombing plans for the invasion of Europe. He retired, as air vice marshal, in 1953, his last posting being chief air defence officer, Ministry of Defence. He had been appointed C.B.E. in 1943 and C.B. in 1950.

    Kingston was the author of Winged Warfare (1937) and five books on air and defence strategy in 1947-64. He was an associate fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. On 16 January 1924 in London he had married Freda Elizabeth Lewis. They had two daughters, and were later divorced. Kingston-McCloughry died on 15 November 1972 in Edinburgh. He willed his body to medical research and his papers and manuscripts to the Imperial War Museum.
    Select Bibliography

    E. J. Richards, Australian Airmen. History of the 4th Squadron, A.F.C. (Melb, nd); F. M. Cutlack, The Australian Flying Corps: In the Western and Eastern Theatres of War, 1914-1918 (Syd, 1923); I. Jones, Tiger Squadron (Lond, 1954); A. Morris, Bloody April (Lond, 1967); K. Isaacs, Military Aircraft of Australia 1909-1918 (Canb, 1971); S. Zuckerman, From Apes to Warlords (Lond, 1978); A. H. Cobby, High Adventure (Melb, 1981); written records section 1914-18 (Australian War Memorial); Air History Branch papers (National Archives of the United Kingdom); Kingston-McCloughry papers (Imperial War Museum, London); family papers (privately held). More on the resources

    Author: Alan Fraser

    Print Publication Details: Alan Fraser, 'McCloughry, Wilfred Ashton (1894 - 1943)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 10, Melbourne University Press, 1986, pp 229-230.

    Wilfred Ashton b: 26 Nov 1894 d: 4 Jan 1943

    CB - xx xxx 1942, DSO - xx xxx 1919, MC - xx xxx 1917, DFC - 2 Nov 1918, MiD - 11 Jul 1919, MiD - xx xxx xxxx, MiD - xx xxx xxxx 1st Prize, "Gordon-Shephard" Essay Comp - 1929

    (Army): - 2 Lt: 16 Jan 1913, Lt: xx xxx xxxx, (T) Capt: 1 Oct 1916, (T) Maj: xx xxx xxxx

    (RAF): - Capt: 1 Apr 1918, Sqn Ldr: 1 Aug 1919, Wg Cdr: 1 Jan 1929, Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1934, Act A/Cdre(unpd): 7 Jul 1936, A/Cdre: 1 Jan 1938, (T) AVM: 1 Jul 1940.

    xx xxx 1913: Officer, 9th Australian Light Horse Regiment. (Egypt, Gallipoli)

    xx Jun 1916: Flying Officer, RFC.

    xx xxx 1916: Pilot, No 50 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE12 – Dover)

    1 Oct 1916: Flight Commander,

    21 Sep 1917: Flight Commander, No 2 Sqn AFC.

    26 Oct 1917: Officer Commanding, No 71 Sqn RFC.

    19 Jan 1918: Officer Commanding, No 4 Sqn AFC.

    xx xxx 1918:

    27 Feb 1919: Officer Commanding, Air Pilotage School.

    1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Major (gazetted 22 Aug 1919)

    3 Apr 1922: Attended RAF Staff College.

    4 Apr 1923: Staff, HQ No 5 Wing.

    23 Apr 1923: Air Staff, HQ Inland Area.

    18 Sep 1924: Officer Commanding, No 8 Sqn. (DH9A – Hinaidi/Aden)

    22 Feb 1928: Staff Officer, HQ Wessex Bombing Area.

    12 Jan 1931: Supernumerary, RAF Depot.

    19 Jan 1931: Attended Imperial Defence College.

    xx Dec 1931:

    29 Sep 1934: Officer Commanding, RAF Heliopolis.

    18 Oct 1935: Officer Commanding, Mersa Matruh.

    xx Jun 1936: Supernumerary, HQ RAF Middle East.

    1 Jul 1936: AOC, British Forces in Aden.

    28 Nov 1938: Director of Training.

    16 Sep 1940: AOC, No 9 (Fighter) Group.

    xx May 1942: AOC, AHQ Egypt.

    An Australian originally named Kingston-McClaughry, he was the elder of two brothers, both destined to become AVM’s, he dropped the "Kingston" from his surname in order to avoid confusion with his brother?. He was awarded RAeC Certificate No 2368 on 1 February 1916. However, his career and life was brought to a premature end when he was killed at Cairo in the aircraft accident which also killed Lady Tedder (ACM Sir Arthur Tedder’s first wife).

    Citation for the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross

    Major Wilfred Ashton McCloughry, M.C. (Australian F.C.).

    The squadron commanded by this officer has been remarkably active and successful in attacks at low altitudes on trains, transports, billets and low-flying machines; this success is largely due to his inspiring personality, fine leadership, and the boldness in attack he invariably displays. One evening he bombed a train, which was compelled to stop; he then attacked it with machine-gun fire at 200 ft. altitude. Afterwards he engaged a two-seater machine, which unfortunately escaped owing to failures in both his machine guns. Having remedied these, he attacked a party of infantry, which he dispersed, several casualties being noted.

    (M.C. gazetted 18th July,1917.)

    (London Gazette – 2 November 1918)
  11. Peter Clare

    Peter Clare Very Senior Member

    Air Vice Marshal McCLAUGHRY, WILFRED ASHTON (CB) (DSO) (MC) (DFC) (MID 3)

    4 January 1943

    Lodestar EW986
    173 Sqn
    2 miles south of Heliopolis

    The aircraft was returning from a trip by Air Marshal McClaughry, Lady Tedder and their staff to a number of units. During the approach to land, the aircraft crashed but the Accident Card is unclear as to the cause. Lady Tedder was the wife of Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Tedder, AOCinC Middle East. Their son had died on 3 Aug 1940 whilst a pilot with 139 Sqn and he is buried in Bayeau Cemetery France
    Flying Officer Graham Grant COWLING 22 Pilot
    Flying Officer Eric Ralph Dalton JAMES 25 Pilot
    Sergeant Norman Louis CLARKE
    Squadron Leader Richard George CHESTER 37
    Air Vice Marshal Wilfred Ashton MCCLAUGHRY 48 CB DSO MC DFC
    Lady Rosalinde TEDDER
    Squadron Leader Hugh Wynston CLELAND 34
    Pilot Officer William Alfred HAWKINS 32
    Wing Commander Gerard Basil NICHOLAS 42 DFC
    Flight Lieutenant James Ronal RITCHIE
    Leading Aircraftman Albert John William HURDLE 20

    'Though Without Anger' - Cummings
  12. spidge


    Air Vice Marshal McCLAUGHRY, WILFRED ASHTON (CB) (DSO) (MC) (DFC) (MID 3)

    The Battle of Britain 1940 Groups and Sectors of the RAF

    From: http://history-world.org/battle_of_britain_1940.htm
    Fighter Command of the Royal Air Force was divided into a number of groups and Great Britain was covered by four operational groups in total. 10 Group covered the south-west, 11 Group covered the south-east, 12 Group covered the Midlands while 13 Group covered the North of England and Scotland. Two other groups, No 9 covering North and Central Wales, and No 14, covering the north of Scotland from the Tay River were formed too late to become operational for the Battle of Britain. Each of these Groups had a high ranking officer that was in charge of these Groups. The groups were further broken down by having a number of airfields within them which were called Sector Stations, and each of these had a Commanding Officer that was responsible for the station. To break it down even further, each sector station (or airfield) was allocated a number of squadrons, usually three or four, and each squadron had a leader who was in charge and responsible for his squadron. So putting it simply, it was like having a number of small groups within one large group. The map below outlines these Groups in more detail. 11 GROUP This Group was perhaps one of the busiest of all the groups as it had the task of not only being the closest to the enemy coast and seeing plenty of action, but had the unenviable job of protecting the capital city of London. The Group HQ was at Uxbridge, and Bentley Priory which was not too far away was the headquarters of Air Chief Marshall Hugh Dowding the Commander-in-Chief of Fighter Command . Hornchurch, North Weald, Biggin Hill and Kenley were amongst the busiest of airfields during raids on London with pilots on many occasions coming in to refuel and rearm and then taking off straight away to join in on another dogfight. Air Vice-Marshall Keith Park was in charge of 11 Group.
    10 GROUP. Most of the approaching enemy aircraft from over the English Channel were coming from Brest (KG40) and the Stuka squadrons from St Malo (St G2)and Caen (St G77), and the south-western end of the Channel had to be protected. This was the task of some of 10 Group. The airfields of Middle Wallop and St Eval were well positioned for this. The enemy coast was out of range of the aircraft of Filton but they were capable of intercepting enemy bomber formations that approached the coast west of Southhamton which itself was a prime target for the Luftwaffe. Headquarters was at Box just south of Bristol and Air Vice Marshal Sir Christopher Quintin Brand was in charge of 10 Group.
    12 GROUP. Although a considerable distance away from the enemy coast, 12 Group was kept exceptionally busy. Covering all of the midlands it included the industrial cities of Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton, Manchester and Liverpool which were important prime targets for the German bombers. Often requested to assist Keith Park of 11 Group, chief of 12 Group Air Vice-Marshal Trafford Leigh-Mallory often refused and the two were not regarded as comrades-in -arms. The Group headquarters was at Watnall near Sheffield.
    13 GROUP. This was the largest in all of the Groups as far as area was concerned. From a line due east from just above Manchester up as far as the north of Scotland, and including Northern Ireland it was a group well away from the main action that was taking place in southern England. But many attacking aircraft mainly in the form of bombers came in from Norway and the North Sea. Because of the amount of coastline this Group had to cover, it was called on many times to do observation flights of the sea lanes. The Group headquarters was at Newcastle and Air Vice-Marshal Richard Saul was in charge of 13 Group.
    Two other Groups were also incorporated into Fighter Command, although they were operational, they did not receive the glory or the accolades of the other Groups.
    9 GROUP. This was formed to take some of the weight off of the shoulders so to speak of 10 Group and 12 Group and covered an area from the central area of Wales to the northernmost coastline of North Wales and also incorporated the Isle of Angelsey. Air Marshal Hugh Dowding proposed a new group be inaugurated in Wales during the early stages of the Battle of Britain as waves of enemy bombers managed to get through 10 Group in the south-west. On most occasions, 10 Group was able to handle the situation, but there were numerous occasions when 10 Group was busy defending the many south coast ports it allowed the German formations to come in from the south-west and west and attack the industrial centers of South Wales.
    Then Leigh-Mallory intervened and requested that the formation of the new Group be but into operation as soon as possible because as he stated, that if his squadrons were kept busy intercepting the waves of German bombers heading for Wales from the North Sea and the Midlands across his group area, then it was impossible to comply with the request for assistance that was often asked by Keith Park and also Fighter Command.
    Headquarters for 9 Group was to be at Barton Hall, about three miles to the north of Preston, which actually was just across the border in Lancashire in England. This was established in July 1940 and was the most suitable location regards to accessibility and communications.
    Four sector stations (airfields) were allocated to 9 Group. These were Ternhill, Speke, Jurby on the Isle of Man and Baginton. All these sector stations would be under the command of Australian, Air Vice Marshal W.A.McClaughry.
    The date given as the official date that 9 Group was an operational group was 2nd October 1940. The next day, the group made its first official combat operation when Ju88s and He111s were detected first by Newcastle radar, then by Merseyside and 312 Squadron (Hurricanes-Speke) were scrambled to make an interception in the Conwy/Ryll area of the North Wales coast. Most of the German formation broke away and headed for their targets at Birmingham and Wolverhampton, but only a small number set course for the North Wales coast. There was no casualties on either side.
    The sector station at Speke was bombed the following week (7-10-40) and only minimal damage occurred. The first success of the group was when 312 squadron intercepted a lone Ju88 in South Wales, but on 10th October, Sgt O.Hanzlicek, a Czech pilot on training duties, baled out of Hurricane L1547 after the engine caught fire while over Ellesmere on the River Mersey, and he never survived the fall.
    9 Group never took any major part in Battle of Britain operations. Its task in these early months was to protect the Welsh industrial ports, but it must be emphasized that just their presence must have been a deterrent to the enemy.
  13. spidge


    Please delete post - Wrong details.
  14. spidge


    I have entered Air Commodore Benjamin James Silly (MC) (DFC) next on the list after receiving some further information.

    Australian by birth, he began work as a clerk with Thomas Pulman & Co and from 1909 to April 1911 worked in Switzerland. He was a qualified interpreter in German.

    On 5th February 1942, he was sent to Batavia to set up a rear base for the reception of equipment and personnel evacuated from Singapore. This involved setting up six transit camps and the processing of 12,000 men in an attempt to sort them out and evacuate as many as possible, an incredibly difficult task in view of the chaos.

    From: Pacific Maru POW roster (POWs of the Japanese)

    This roster contains two groups of names. The first is a list 74 men transported from Tangong Priok, Java, to Singapore aboard the Pacific Maru at the end of 1942. These same men were loaded aboard Aki Maru on 10 Jan 1943 for transport to Takao, Formosa, arriving there on 30 Jan 1943.

    Benjamin James Silly, Air Cdre; Br; AOC RAF Base Java; 2950; Shirakawa; died in captivity 7 Dec 1943.

    Citation for the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross in WW1

    Lieut. (T./Capt.) Benjamin James Silly, M.C.

    For exceptional skill and gallantry on long-distance raids, in 47 of which he has been engaged, and has been the leader on 22 occasions. Within the past month he led a formation of bombers which accomplished their object notwithstanding that the enemy scouts were encountered almost from the start, and at the destination they numbered 40 machines. Capt. Silly's formation destroyed four enemy aircraft, and returned without losing a single machine.

    (London Gazette – 21 September 1918)

    Air Commodore B J Silly

    Benjamin James b: xx Jul 1893 d: 7 Dec 1943

    MC - 4 Mar 1918,

    DFC - 21 Sep 1918.

    (Army):- (T) 2 Lt (P): 5 Sep 1916, (T) Capt: 29 Nov 1917.

    (RAF):- (T) Capt [Lt]: 1 Apr 1918,

    Capt: xx xxx 1918,

    Act Maj: 20 Sep 1918,

    Flt Lt: 1 Aug 1919 [1 Apr 1918],

    Sqn Ldr: 1 Jul 1928,

    Wg Cdr: 1 Jan 1935,

    Gp Capt: 1 Nov 1938,

    Act A/Cdre: xx xxx xxxx,

    (T) A/Cdre: xx xxx 1942?,

    A/Cdre: xx xxx xxxx.

    xx xxx 1914: Private, 2nd (Public Schools) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers

    xx xxx xxxx: Private, 4th (Public Schools) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers

    2 Sep 1916: Officer, Royal Field Artillery

    5 Sep 1916, U/T Pilot, RFC

    4 Apr 1917: Flying Officer, RFC.

    29 Nov 1917: Flight Commander, No 55 Sqn RFC/RAF

    20 Sep 1918: Officer Commanding, No 55 Sqn. (DH4 – Ind AF)

    xx Jan 1919:

    1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Captain

    24 Dec 1919: Staff/Instructor, School of Technical Training (Boys).

    16 Mar 1920: Staff/Instructor, No 1 School of Technical Training (Boys).

    15 Nov 1921: Attended Instructors' Course, CFS

    15 Feb 1922: Instructor, No 5 FTS.

    14 Sep 1923: Flight Commander, No 55 Sqn.

    8 Oct 1925: Personnel Staff, HQ RAF Middle East.

    22 May 1927: Supernumerary, RAF Depot.

    19 Sep 1927: Attended RAF Staff College.

    ?17 Dec 1928: Staff, HQ Wessex Bombing Area.

    15 Jan 1932: Staff, Superintendent of RAF Reserve.

    13 Apr - 8 Jun 1934: Placed on half pay list, scale A

    11 Jun 1934: Air Staff, HQ Iraq Command.

    14 Jan 1936: Attended Imperial Defence College.

    7 Jan 1937: Staff, Directorate of Organisation.

    19 Oct 1938: Officer Commanding, RAF Pembroke Dock.

    5 Aug 1939: Group Captain - ?, HQ RAF Far East.

    xx xxx 1940: SASO, HQ RAF Far East.

    5 Feb 1942: AOC?, Rear Base, Batavia. (AHQ Sumatra?)

    xx xxx 1942 Prisoner of War
  15. spidge


    Next on the list - Group Captain Leonard John Crosbie.

    Any further details would be welcome.

    Leonard John Crosbie was born on 26 Feb 1903 in Midland Junction, West Australia and died in 1946 in Plane Explosion (Over The Bay Of Bengal) at age 43.

    Transferred from the active list to the Reserve July 1935.

    from the naa - CROSBIE, Leonard John - (Group Captain); Service Number - 29064; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Expediter; Place - Burma Coast; Date - 22 June 1946 (file not digitised) :

    Summary heading

    CROSBIE, Leonard John - (Group Captain); Service Number - 29064

    Descriptive note

    In addition to the file subject, the following servicemen are mentioned in this record:

    ALLARD W – (Flying Officer); Service Number – 186359
    STURT D I P – (Flying Officer); Service Number - 201103

    (not much news there, but it gives the service numbers of the other crew - might make them easier to find on other research sites to give more info)

    22 Jun 1946.

    ACSEACS (Air Command South East Asia Communications Flight)

    Expediter 1 KJ479
    13 degrees 37 North/98 degrees 12 East, Burma

    The aircraft was seen to dive into the sea about 2 miles off the coast of Burma between Pala and Punlab. The cause of the loss was not discovered as no wreckage or remains were recovered. Those aboard are commemorated on the Singapore Memorial at Kranji.

    Flying Officer William Stanley ALLARD Pilot (353 Squadron)
    Flying Officer Donald Ian Paul STURT 24
    Group Captain Leonard John CROSBIE
  16. spidge


    The next on the list - Wing Commander Robert Henry Swan King

    From: Roll of Honour - Surrey - Godalming, Charterhouse School - World War 2

    Wing Commander RAF. Born 22.4.1911, only son of Commodore Rt Hon Henry Douglas King CBE DSO PC MP and Margaret E.King née Swan, husband of Irene Nicholaevna King of Adelaide, South Australia.

    He was at Charterhouse School [V] 1925 – 1928 and joined the RAF in 1935. He was CO of 21 Squadron when he was killed on 22.6.43, aged 32, flying Ventura AE910 in an attack on a gun position near Abbeville-Drucat airfield, France. He is buried in Abbeville communal cemetery extension, grave 6.C.3. His crew and his Station Commander are buried in graves 6.C.1-2 and 6.B.9-10.

    Pilot Officer King Confirmed P/O 16th April 1936

    W/C King is listed on the Australian Commemorative Roll which is for those "Australians" who died in other allied units/branches.

    22 June 1943

    21 Squadron
    Ventura I AE910 'Y'

    W/C. R H S. King +
    F/O. H W. Gattiker +
    P/O. J H J. Koller +
    P/O. R N. Kinglake +
    G/C. W V L. Spendlove +

    Shot down by flak approx 1620 hrs during an attack on Abbeville-Drucat airfield. The unit commander Wg Cdr R H S. King and his crew were lost as was the Methwold Station Commander, Gr Capt W V L. Spendlove DSO who was flying with them on this date.

    '2nd Tactical Air Force' Vol.1 - Shores/Thomas.

    Details on W/C King's father:
    Regretfully, can't seem to fina any supporting Aussie details....
    From the NHCRA website, an article on the death of his father in 1930:
    Distinguished RNVR officer died in tragic sea accident
    Commodore the Rt Hon Henry Douglas King, PC, CB, CBE, DSO, VD, MP

    THE POSTCARD reproduced here was probably published in 1910 when Douglas King, then 33 years old, stood unsuccessfully as the Unionist candidate in North Norfolk although he went on to win the seat in 1918 after a distinguished war career. His death when the yacht he had hired sank in a storm off Fowey made headlines in August 1930 amid criticisms of the Coastguard service.

    He was born in 1877, the son of Captain Henry Welchman King, who sent him to the training ship Conway at Liverpool from 1891 to 1893. After that he served in sailing ships until 1897 when he joined P&O. He proved his versatility when within two years he left the sea to take up farming, later studying law until he was called to the Bar in 1905.

    He had been appointed a midshipman in the Royal Naval Reserve in 1893 and served until 1902 after which he spent two years in the Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers. He obviously still hankered after the sea because in 1904 he was given a commission in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and it is in that uniform he is seen in the photograph, wearing the cuff stripes of a lieutenant. He was then serving in the London Division which he was to command from 1920.

    When the Royal Naval Division was forming in August 1914 he was appointed to the Drake Battalion and was with it at the siege of Antwerp in October 1914. The following year - on 25 April - the battalion landed at Gallipoli and King stayed there until the evacuation on 9 January 1916. In the process he earned a DSO in November 1915 and three Mentions in Despatches, as well as being wounded.

    He commanded the battalion from June 1915 to July 1916 by which time it was in France. He was later afloat before being sent to serve with the Royal Naval siege guns in Flanders. His time on the Western Front earned him special promotion for distinguished service as well as a Croix de Guerre. He was made a CBE in 1919.

    After the war he returned to politics and was elected for North Norfolk. He feared - correctly as it turned out - that it would not be possible to keep the seat for the Conservatives in 1922. As a result he stood for Paddington South - the wealthy constituency most famously represented by Lord Randolph Churchill during the latter part of his career - and won, despite the intervention of an unofficial Conservative candidate. He retained the seat until his death in 1930 and held various posts, including Conservative Whip, Financial Secretary at the War Office and Secretary to the Mines Department of the Board of Trade. He had also been an AdC to King George in 1922.

    King's death was the result of a tragic episode off the Cornish coast on 20 August 1930 when the ISLANDER, a cutter he had chartered from Lt-Col J N Diggle of the Royal Yacht Squadron, ran on to rocks three miles from Fowey. All six on board were lost, including two other RNVR officers, Surg Capt Arthur Robertson Brailey, senior medical officer of the London Division, and Cdr Sidney Searle, OBE, of Berwick-on-Tweed. Searle had also served under King in the London Division.

    The ISLANDER sank in what was said to be one of the most severe summer storms within memory. At about 9pm terrific seas drove her on to rocks in Lansallos Cove in Lantive Bay, and rescue attempts from shore, including the use of rockets, all failed. Fowey lifeboat found it impossible to get close enough to be any help. Two bodies, including the commodore's, were recovered the following day.

    Author and academic Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, the Royal Fowey Yacht Club commodore whose house overlooked Fowey harbour, was reported as saying: "This disaster proves the need for a stronger coastguard service. A few years ago there was a Government economy campaign and the coastguard service was cut down. The trouble really started in Whitehall. Conditions were made such that the old divisional officers, who were drawn from the higher ranks of the Navy, were not attracted to the coastguard service.

    "In addition, coast watching and patrolling was cut down to a minimum. As a result of this, a very large proportion of the vessels sighted in distress round the Cornish coast are first seen by farmers, farm labourers and the girls coming back from the milking of cows - men and women who go out to work at dawn - and the best they can do is warn the authorities as soon as possible."

    At the inquest Sir Arthur, who was invited to sit near the coroner, gave evidence in support of these views, leading the coroner to say: "It seems to me, and it may seem to the jury, that the look-out on the coast is not all that it should be, but whether the lack of efficiency there could possibly be described as criminal I should very much doubt because apparently it was a matter of opinion only."

    The jury took this on board. Returning a verdict of accidental death by drowning, they added a rider that on this particular night there was 'a laxity in the placing of watches'.

    On 26 August 1930 The Times carried a number of tributes to Commodore King, one of them from Rear-Admiral Thomas N James, who wrote: "The sea has claimed him as a sailor, not withstanding his safe passage through tremendous fighting at the Dardanelles and in France."

    Henry Douglas King, who died while only in his early fifties, was undoubtedly a courageous and talented man. Who knows what he might have gone on to achieve had he lived
  17. spidge


    Wing Commander Alan Francis Moir Sisley- Flying Training Cmd HQ- RAF

    Of the 250+ Australians I am researching who were killed in the RAF, this is the first one I have come across who is on the Australian Roll of Honour and listed as RAAF while also listed on the CWGC website as RAF United Kingdom.

    I would welcome any further details or photos.

    Royal Air Force pilot 550 Sqd. from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.)

    (d.31st Aug 1944)

    I am researching the Sisley family. It would appear that Alan Francis Moir Sisley was born in 1917 from the records I have managed to find. However I cannot trace a birth in the United Kingdom. Have you any record of where he was born? The CWGC records state he was of UK nationality. His wife was Josephine Mary Sisley, of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. I understand he is buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetery.

    John Sisley

    Wing Commander
    Royal Air Force
    United Kingdom
    Plot 8. Row B. Coll. grave 1-8.

    Australian Roll of Honour

    Alan Francis Moir Sisley

    Service number: 39008

    Rank: Wing Commander

    Unit: 550 Squadron

    Service: RAAF

    Conflict: 1939-1945

    Date of death: 31 August 1944

    Place of death: France

    Source: AWM148 Roll of Honour cards, 1939-1945 War, Air Force

    NAA of Australia
    SISLEY, Alan Francis Moir - (Wing Commander); Service Number - 39008; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster NF962 'V'; Place - France; Date - 31 August 1944

    W/C A.F.M. Sisley +; P/O P./C. Siddall, RNZAF +; Sgt. R. MacLeod +; Sgt. H.H.M. Connolly +;
    F/Sgt. H.G. Thomas +; F/sgt. A.S. Parsons, RAAF +; Sgt. D.P. Gates +; Sgt. T. Hamilton +
  18. spidge


    Double Post - Please delete.
  19. Peter Clare

    Peter Clare Very Senior Member

  20. spidge


    Thanks Peter.



Share This Page