13500 2/Lt. Alexander Fraser CAMPBELL, GC, 9 Bomb Disposal Company, Royal Engineers: 18/10/1940

Discussion in 'Royal Engineers' started by CL1, Oct 18, 2014.

  1. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery

    Remembering Today

    Casualty Details | CWGC
    Rank: Second Lieutenant
    Service No: 135004
    Date of Death: 18/10/1940
    Age: 42
    Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers, 9 Bomb Disposal Coy.
    Awards: G C
    Grave Reference: Square 348. Coll. grave 46.
    Additional Information: Son of Archibald and Mary Campbell, of Dalmellington, Ayrshire; husband of Agnes Sharp Campbell, of Dalmellington. M.I.Mar.E.

    The following details are given in the London Gazette of 22nd January, 1941: The King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the George Cross, for most conspicuous gallantry in carrying out hazardous work in a very brave manner, to 2nd Lieutenant A. F. Campbell, R.E. (since deceased). Second Lieutenant Campbell was was called upon to deal with an unexploded bomb in the Triumph Engineering Company's works in Coventry. This bomb had halted war production in two factories involving over 1,000 workers and evacuation of local residents. He found it to be fitted with a delayed action fuse which was impossible to remove. He decided to remove the bomb to a safe place. This was done by lorry with Second Lieutenant Campbell lying alongside the bomb to enable him to hear if it started ticking so he could warn the driver to escape. Having got it to a safe place he successfully disposed of it. Unfortunately, he was killed the next day whilst dealing with another unexploded bomb.
  2. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery

  3. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery


    Triumph Engineering Works unexploded bomb
    On the 14 October 1940 at Chapel Street, Coventry, 2nd Lt. Campbell along with Sergeant Michael Gibson and Sappers W. Gibson, R. Gilchrest, A. Plumb, R.W. Skelton and Driver E.F.G. Taylor were tasked to deal with a 250 kilograms (550 lb) unexploded bomb.
    The sappers spent almost four days uncovering the bomb which was found to contain a very damaged delayed-action fuse mechanism which could not be removed in situ. Though any electrical charge within the fuse was thought to have dissipated, Campbell still applied a discharge tool.
    On the 17 October 1940, Campbell, believing the bomb to be inert ordered it to be moved. It was loaded onto a lorry and taken to Whitley Common where it could be detonated safely. Campbell positioned himself next to the bomb on this journey listening for any timer mechanism that might have been activated by the bomb's removal. The bomb was remotely detonated.


Share This Page