WW1 Auxiliary Miltary Hospital,St John's Presbyterian Church,Northwood,Middlesex

Discussion in 'Prewar' started by CL1, Jun 25, 2019.

  1. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Hallowell Road,Northwood,Middlesex. (now St Johns United Reformed Church)

    At the onset of WW1 in 1914 the Northwood Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) - Middlesex/10, part of the Eastern Command - was ready to mobilise a 20-bedded hospital at 4 hours notice (Northwood also had a men's First Aid Unit - Middlesex/5).

    In October 1914 the Detachment was provisionally offered the Lecture Hall of St John's Presbyterian Church in Hallowell Road for use as an auxiliary hospital for convalescent servicemen. A local appeal asked for financial support of a shilling (5p) a week while the hospital was open, but soon received promises of 200 shillings (£10) a week.

    The V.A.D. Hospital opened on 9th November 1914, but initially had no patients. Mindful that a congregation had been displaced from its church hall, the Commandant appealed to the War Office and, on 19th November, 14 English and 4 Belgian patients arrived. Three days later, 9 more were transferred from Stanmore.

    Lost_Hospitals_of_London

    upload_2019-6-25_19-11-42.png upload_2019-6-25_19-11-54.png upload_2019-6-25_19-12-12.png upload_2019-6-25_19-12-21.png
     

Share This Page