VC Winners - Your Country's Recipients

Discussion in 'General' started by spidge, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. spidge


    I will start one off from Australia:

    Sir Arthur Roden Cutler VC AK KCMG KCVO CBE

    The only Australian artilleryman to have won the Victoria Cross.

    Governor of New South Wales
    During 19 June/6 July 1941 in the Merdjayoun-Damour area, Syria, Lieutenant Cutler's exploits included repairing a telephone line under heavy fire, repulsing enemy tank attacks, setting up an outpost to bring under fire a road used by the enemy and, with a 25-pound field gun, demolishing a post threatening our advance.
    Later, at Damour, he was seriously wounded and when rescued 26 hours later his leg had to be amputated.

    Read his full story and achievements post war here:

    Sir Arthur Roden Cutler VC
    dbf likes this.
  2. Cpl Rootes

    Cpl Rootes Senior Member

    Private Johnson Beharry


    Pte Beharry, who was born on Grenada, was at the head of a five-vehicle convoy when it came under attack in the town of al-Amarah on 1 May 2004.

    He guided the column through a mile of enemy ground to drop off wounded comrades at great risk to his own safety, his citation said.

    Weeks later, his vehicle was hit by an rocket-propelled grenade round. Despite a head wound, he managed to reverse his Warrior to safety.

    "Maybe I was brave, I don't know. I think anyone else could do the same thing," he said.

    Pte Beharry, from 1st Battalion the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, said he was "speechless" when told he was winning the VC.

    The award is the first since posthumous VCs given to Lt Col Herbert Jones and Sgt Ian John McKay during the Falklands conflict.
  3. Owen

    Owen -- --- -.. MOD

    I was going to say as far as I know my County, Wiltshire(not country) has four VC winners.
    Two from Indian Mutiny , one Great War, one WW2.
    Of the two Wiltshire Regiment VCs neither were born in Wiltshire.
    R. F. J. Hayward, VC, MC was born at Swartkop, East Griqualand, on 17th June, 1891,won his VC in March 1918.
    MAW Rogers VC, MM was born in Bristol.Won his VC at Anzio, June 1944.

    Redoubt Fortress Museum - VC
    Captain Clement Walker Heneage, V.C.
    Born in Compton Bassett, Wiltshire 6th March 1831, Clement Walker Heneage was the son of George Heneage Walker-Heneage (the Member of Parliament for Devizes) and his wife Harriet. Educated at Eton and Christchurch College Oxford, he was gazetted into the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars as a Cornet on 10th August 1851. On 3rd September 1854, he became a Lieutenant, with which rank he rode in the Charge of the Light Brigade. He served throughout the Crimean War, being present at the Battles of Alma, Inkerman and Tchermaya, as well as the action at Mackenzie's Farm, the siege of Sebastopol and the Kenteh Expedition.

    Heneage was a man of strong opinions. Writing after the Crimean War about the recriminations and accusations concerning the loss of the Light Brigade, he had little doubt where the blame lay, observing "It is wonderful to observe the way that fool the "British public" kicks a man directly he is down, as in the instance of unlucky Lucan. I always hated him, and so did the whole Cavalry Division, but for heaven's sake let a man have fair play - here is this unfortunate man catching it over the head and ears, merely because he obeyed an order given by the thick-headed Raglan through his still more stupid Q.M. (quartermaster) General Airey, who is about the worst of the whole headquarters staff".

    After his return from the Crimea he was promoted to Captain on 12th May 1857, and once more set out on campaign, this time sailing for India with the Regiment from Cork on the S.S. Great Britain in October 1857. With the rebel leader, the Rhani of Jhansi, safe within the stronghold of Gwalior, the opposing force under Major General Sir Hugh Rose took up position on the plain below the town. Heneage commanded a squadron of 8th Hussars who surprised the enemy with a flanking attack, catching them unawares. "There was no pretence of resistance any longer except from a slight, fully-armed figure that was helplessly whirled along in this cataract of men and horses. Again and again this one leader, gesticulating and vociferating, attempted to stem the torrent of routed rebels, but all in vain. There was no possibility of holding up the broken Mahrattas, and at last a chance shot struck down, across his horse's neck, this one champion of the retreating force. A moment later the swaying figure was overtaken, and one stroke from a Hussar's sabre ended the whole matter. There was no time to halt, for the victory had to be pressed home; but as the Squadron returned, it was discovered that it was the Rhani of Jhansi herself who had thus ended her meteoric career".

    The citation for the Victoria Cross appeared in the London Gazette of 26th January 1859. It reads :- "Selected for the Victoria Cross by their companions. In the gallant charge made by a Squadron of the Regiment at Gwalior on 17th June 1858, when supported by a division of the Bombay Horse Artillery, and Her Majesty's 95th Regiment, they routed the enemy, who were advancing against Brigadier Smith's position, charged through the rebel camp into two batteries, capturing and bringing fire from the fort and town." (Field Force Orders by Major General Sir Hugh Henry Rose, G.C.B. Commanding Central India Field Force, dated Camp Gwalior 28th June 1858).

    He took the rank of Brevet-Major on 20th July 1858, and on 16th November 1860, purchased the rank of Major in place of Major Edward Phillips who retired by sale of Commission. He retired from the Army by the sale of his own Commission on 20th July 1868.

    On 7th December 1865, at St Paul's Church Sketty, South Wales, he married Henrietta Letitia Victoria Vivian the daughter of the MP for Swansea. Their children were Godfrey Clement Walker (born 17th May 1868) later Major Grenadier Guards, D.S.O., M.V.O.; John Vivian Walker (born 27th May 1869); Algernon Walker (born 4th February 1871) later Rear-Admiral, Royal Navy C.B., M.V.O.; Claud Walker (born 24th April 1875) later Barrister at Law; Aline Dulcie Walker (born 18th August 1877). Clement Walker Heneage, V.C. died at Compton Bassett House, Compton Bassett, Wiltshire on 9th December 1901 aged 70 years, 9 months.

    Besides his Victoria Cross, Heneage was awarded the Crimea Medal with clasps for Alma, Balaklava, Inkerman and Sebastopol; the Turkish Crimea Medal and the Indian Mutiny Medal with the clasp for Central India

    HASTINGS EDWARD HARRINGTON (Lieutenant) Bengal Artillery For his conspicuous bravery at the relief of Lucknow from November 14th to 22nd 1857, this officer was elected to receive the Victoria Cross under Rule 13 of the Warrant. The late Colonel F.C. Maude, V.C., in his Memoirs of the Mutiny, gives the following details of the career of Hastings Harrington, V.C., as an illustration of the temper of the times (1857)- He (Harrington) was at Oxford pursuing his studies. The Crimean War Came. Studies seemed derogatory at such crisis, and he volunteered for service; but the authorities would only allow him to go out in the transport. He went out and worked hard at Kertch and other places, coming home through Hungary, and landed at Dover with six pence in his pocket. Bought rolls, drank water, slept under a haystack, and reached at last the old parsonage where he had been born. Then he returned to Oxford, and took a “second” which, considering all interruptions was very fair. But the charms of adventure had been tasted, and the quiet academicals career seemed impossible. He must go somewhere. “To India,” said O’Shaughnessy, “in my telegraph service, the finest service in the world.” (This expression was, in a measure, hyperbolical.) So in the telegraph he came, arriving at Agra in the cold weather, and, taking his sword off the roof of the dak carriage, exclaimed, “My old Crimean sword-I shall not want that again.” However, the summer found him in the Volunteer Cavalry-only too glad to have it still in his possession. He died at Agra on July 20th 1861.
    Indian Army

    Here's a link about William Gosling VC from WW1.
    William Gosling (1892 - 1945) - Find A Grave Memorial
    He was not in 3rd Wessex Bde RFA when he won the VC but 51st DAC.

    William Gosling
    Birth: Aug. 15, 1892
    Death: Feb. 12, 1945

    World War I Victoria Cross Recipient. A native of the village of Wanborough in Wiltshire, he left England as a young man and found work in Canada as a grain silo worker, a fireman on the Canadian Pacific Railway, and a lumberjack. When war broke out he returned to England to enlist in the 3rd Wessex Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. Goslin was awarded the VC for action near Arras, April 5, 1917. From his citation: “For most conspicuous bravery when in charge of a heavy trench mortar. Owing to a faulty cartridge, the bomb, after discharge, fell 10 yards from the Mortar. Sergeant Gosling sprang out, lifted the nose of the bomb which had sunk into the ground, unscrewed the fuse and threw it on the ground where it immediately exploded. This very gallant action undoubtedly saved the lives of the whole detachment.” According to an article published in 1964, Gosling was in charge of an ammo supply party bringing shells to the mortar position. After the dud bomb went over, the sergeant at the mortar told Gosling, “No use bringing that [new ammo] up, we’ve dropped a short there.” [Any further rounds fired from the mortar might have set off the dud by sympathetic vibration.] Gosling was supposed to have said, “Then you’ll have to do something about it, mate,” and the sergeant replied, “Not me, mate; it can stay there as far as I’m concerned.” Gosling said, “Come on, let’s toss for it.” He lost the toss and went over the parapet of the trench after the dud. In the meantime an officer appeared, wanting to know why the mortar hadn’t been firing any rounds, and when Gosling’s face reappeared over the parapet, the officer demanded, rather pompously, “Where have YOU been?” After the war Gosling took tenancy on a farm near Wroughton, Wiltshire, and also ran a shop in the town. During World War II he served as a major in the Home Guard. He passed away at his home at the age of 52. His medals are privately held.

    Then there is Thomas Gray VC, born Urchfont and won his VC at the Albert Canal Bridges in 1940.
    This is Wiltshire | CommuniGate | Thomas Gray VC
    Thomas Gray was born in Urchfont, Wiltshire on 17 May 1914, fourth born of seven sons of the village policeman. He lived in 'Fiddlers Cottage' which doubled as the police station. Five of the Gray boys joined the Royal Air Force, three of them including Tom, as Aircraft Apprentices at RAF Halton. By 1946 three of them had died while flying with the RAF.
    Tom was educated at Warminster Secondary School. He enlisted in the 20th (Halton) Entry on 27 August 1929 and for the next three years trained to become an aero engine Fitter II(E).
    On leaving Halton in August 1932, Tom was posted to 40 Sqn servicing Fairey Gordon bombers. He volunteered for flying duties as an air gunner (this aircrew category was usually filled at that time by ground tradesmen on a voluntary basis additional to their normal duties).
    Tom soon earned the brass 'winged bullet' badge of a qualified air gunner.
    Tom was promoted to Leading Aircraftsman in 1933 and in June of that year was posted to 15 Sqn with Hawker Hind day-bombers.
    Gray returned to Halton for conversion to Fitter I, completing training in May 1936. On 15 March 1937 he joined 58 Sqn at Driffield with the Vickers Virginia bomber and moved with them to Boscombe Down on 24th March.
    In February 1938 came a move to 12 Sqn at Andover and promotion to Corporal.
    Following a short course of instruction at No 1 Air Observers School, he was remustered as an air observer (equivalent of the later category of Navigator).
    In the 1938 annual firing competition, Tom was awarded the 'Silver .303 Bullet' prize. He was promoted to Sergeant in January 1939.
    On 2nd September 1939 12 Squadron was moved to France as a unit of the AASF.
    Early in the morning of 10 May 1940 the German forces commenced their Blitzkreig advance through the Low Countries.
    On the 12th May, 12 Squadron were tasked with destroying vital bridges over the Albert Canal, the whole Squadron volunteered so it was decided that the six crews already detailed on the readiness roster should undertake the mission.
    Tom's pilot Flying Officer Donald Garland was to lead 3 aircraft against the Veldwezelt Bridge in a low level attack.
    Tom was the Observer/Navigator on Fairey Battle 1 - P2204 PH-K, piloted by FgOff Donald Garland with LAC Lawrence Reynolds as rear gunner.
    They flew below the cloud base at 1000 feet and on reaching the Veldwezelt area started a shallow bombing run.
    There were estimated to be some 300 guns entrenched in a defensive ring around the bridge, and the aircraft was blasted into the ground.
    The second Battle L5439 piloted by PO IA McIntosh was hit in the main fuel tank, setting the aircraft ablaze, he jettisoned his bombs and made a forced landing - he survived as a Prisoner of War.
    The third Battle L5227 piloted by Sgt Fred Marland released its bombs but then lost control and dived into the ground.
    When the smoke cleared it was seen that the western end of the bridge was shattered, and evidence suggested the damage was caused by Garland and Gray's cool attack.
    It had been Gray's first operational bombing raid.
    After the raid, local civilians recovered the bodies of Garland, Gray and Reynolds, and quickly buried them in a secret location to prevent the Germans claiming them.
    Near the end of the war Allied authorities were notified and all three were re-interred in Lanaken cemetery. Subsequently the three were buried in the Imperial War Graves Commission cemetery at Haverlee.
    The citation for Garland and Gray's VCs which appeared in the London Gazette dated 11 June 1940 read in part:
    Much of the success of this vital operation must be attributed to..
    The coolness and resource of Sergeant Gray who navigated Flying Officer Garland's aircraft under most difficult conditions in such a manner that the whole formation was able to successfully attack the target in spite of subsequent heavy losses.
    The VC was given to Gray's parents at an investiture in Buckingham Palace on 24 June 1941.

    Bibliography: "For Valour - The Air V.C.s by Chaz Bowyer"

    Gray's CWGC entry.
    CWGC :: Casualty Details

    Name: GRAY, THOMAS
    Initials: T
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Rank: Sergeant (Observer)
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 12 Sqdn.
    Age: 26
    Date of Death: 12/05/1940
    Service No: 563627
    Awards: VC
    Additional information: Son of Ernest Arthur and Susannah Mary Gray, of Odd Down, Bath, Somerset.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Coll. grave 6. F. 14-16.
    Citation: The citation in "The London Gazette," for 11th June, 1940, gives the following details : Flying Officer Garland was the pilot and Sergeant Gray the observer of the leading machine of a formation of five aircraft that were ordered to destroy at all costs a bridge over the Albert Canal which had not been demolished by the land forces and was allowing the Germans to advance into Belgium. In spite of very heavy defence of the area surrounding the bridge, the formation made a successful dive-bombing attack from the lowest practicable altitude, after releasing their bombs they were attacked by a large number of enemy fighters. Only one aircraft of the five returned to its base. Much of the success of the operation must be attributed to the formation leader, Flying Officer Garland, and to the coolness and resource of Sergeant Gray, who navigated the leading aircraft under most difficult conditions in such a manner that the whole formation, although it subsequently suffered heavy losses, was able successfully to attack the target.

    Lots of info here. Attatchments come from here too. The History of the Victoria Cross
  4. spidge


    Lieutenant Albert CHOWNE VC MM

    • C.1944. Lieutenant Albert CHOWNE V.C MM, 2/2nd Infantry Battalion. On a narrow ridge near Dagua, New Guinea.
    • 0n 1945-03-25 he showed superb heroism when attacking a position that was holding up further movement towards Wewak.
    • Seeing that the leading platoon was being mauled by concealed enemy machine guns, he rushed forward, knocked out two light machine guns with grenades and, firing his sub machine gun from the hip, charged the position.
    • Though he was twice seriously wounded in the chest, the impetus of his charge carried him 50 yards forward under the most intense fire and he accounted for two more Japanese before he was eventually killed.
    Victoria Cross
    Military Medal
    1939/45 Star
    Pacific Star
    1939/45 War MedalDefence Medal
    Australia Service Medal
  5. Owen

    Owen -- --- -.. MOD

    On the trip to Anzio I finally got to visit Sgt Rogers VC, 2 Wilts.


    CROONAERT Ipsissimus

    I'll just do the three that came from my (relatively small) town (none in WW2, I'm afraid though!)...

    2/Lt.H.Colvin, 9/Cheshires...

    "For most conspicuous bravery in attack. When all the officers of his company except for himself - and all but one in the leading company - had become casualties and losses were heavy, he assumed command of both companies and led them forward under heavy machine gun fire with great dash and success. He saw the battalion on his right held up by machine gun fire, and led a platoon to their assistance. 2/Lieutenant Covin then went on with only two men to a dug out. Leaving the men on top, he entered it alone and came out with fourteen prisoners. He then proceeded with his two men to another dug out which had been holding up the attack with rife and machine gun fire and bombs. This he reached and, killing or making prisoner of the crew, captured the machine gun. Being then attacked from another dug out by fifteen men and an officer, one his his own men was killed and the other wounded. Seizing a rifle he shot five of the enemy, and, using another as a shield, he forced most of the survivors to surrender. This officer cleared several other dug outs either alone or with his remaining man, taking about fifty prisoners in all. Later, he consolidated his position with great skill, and personally wired his front under heavy close range sniping in broad daylight, when all others had failed to do so. The complete success of the attack in this part of the line was mainly due to 2/Lieutenant Colvin's leadership and courage."

    2/Lt.A.V.Smith, 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment...

    "For most conspicuous bravery. He was in the act of throwing a grenade when it slipped from his hand and fell into the bottom of the trench, close to several of our officers and men. He immeadiately shouted out a warning, and himself jumped clear and into safety; but seeing that the officers and men were unable to get into cover, and knowing well that the grenade was due to explode, he returned without any hesitation and flung himself down on it. He was killed instantly by the explosion. His magnificent act of self sacrifice undoubtedly saved many lives."

    Pte.T.Whitham,1/Coldstream Guards...

    "For most conspicuous bravery when, during an attack, an enemy machine-gun was seen to be enfilading the battalion on the right. Private Whitham, on his own initiative, immediately worked his way from shell-hole to shell-hole through our own barrage, rushed the machine-gun, and, although under a very heavy fire, captured it, together with an officer and two other ranks. The bold action on the part of Private Whitham was of great assistance to the battalion on the right, and undoubtedly saved many lives and enabled the whole line to advance."

    Attached Files:


    CROONAERT Ipsissimus

    Another (WW2 this time!) with local links to me. He went to school only a few miles from where I live (where there is also a memorial to him) and his VC is held in one of my neighbouring towns (though I think it may have been recently moved). One of the first two Army VCs of the war (and the first non-posthumous one)...

    A/Capt.H.M.Ervine-Andrews, 1/East Lancashire Regiment...

    "For most conspicuous gallantry on active service on the night of the 31st May/1st June, 1940. Captain Ervine-Andrews took over about a thousand yards of the defences in front of Dunkirk, his line extending along the Canal de Bergues, and the enemy attacked at dawn. For over ten hours, notwithstanding intense artillery, mortar, and machine gun lire, and in the face of vastly superior enemy forces, Captain Ervine-Andrews and his company held their position. The enemy, however, succeeded in crossing the canal on both flanks, and owing to superior enemy forces, a company of Captain Ervine-Andrews' own battalion which was despatched to protect his flanks was unable to gain contact with him. There being danger of one of his platoons being driven in, he called for volunteers to fill the gap, and then, going forward, climbed on to the top of a straw-roofed barn from which he engaged the enemy with rifle and light automatic fire, though at the time the enemy were sending mortar-bombs and armour-piercing bullets through the roof. Captain Ervine-Andrews personally accounted for seventeen of the enemy with his rifle and for many more with a Bren gun. Later, when the house which he held had been shattered by enemy fire and set alight and all his ammunition had been expended, he sent back his wounded in the remaining carrier. Captain Ervine-Andrews then collected the remaining eight men of his company from this forward position and when almost completely surrounded, led them back to the cover afforded by the company in the rear, swimming or wading up to the chin in water for over a mile. Having brought all that remained of his company safely back, he once again took up position. Throughout this action, Captain Ervine-Andrews displayed courage, tenacity, and devotion to duty worthy of the highest traditions of the British Army and his magnificent example imbued his own troops with the dauntless fighting spirit which he himself displayed."

    Attached Files:

  8. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Two men awarded VCs - connections to Kilkeel, Co Down. Neither were awarded their medals for WWII.
    By a strange twist the Scott and Hanna families are probably connected.

    Robert Scott, VC was born in Haslingden, Lancs. His parents were from Kilkeel and he returned to live there. He served with the Manchester Regiment and is buried in Kilkeel. He got his VC in the Boer War. Scott is listed on different sites as both an Irish VC recipient and an English recipient !!

    Robert Scott (VC) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Robert Hanna VC was born in Kilkeel, and emigrated to Canada. He served with 29th Bn CEF in WWI. He returned to Kilkeel for visits and is buried in Canada.


  9. von Poop

    von Poop Adaministrator Admin

  10. spidge


    From: Noel Godfrey Chavasse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC (November 9, 1884August 4, 1917) was a British medic and soldier who is one of only three people to be awarded a Victoria Cross twice.

    Chavasse was first awarded the VC for his actions on August 9, 1916, at Guillemont, France when he attended to the wounded all day under heavy fire, frequently in view of the enemy; during the night, he continued searching for wounded in front of the enemy's lines. Next day, under heavy shell fire, he and a stretcher bearer carried an urgent case 500 yards to safety, being wounded himself during the journey. The same night, with 20 volunteers, he rescued three wounded men from a shell-hole 36 yards from enemy trenches, buried the bodies of two officers and collected many identity discs. Altogether he saved the lives of some 20 wounded men.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Chavasse's headstone in Brandhoek New Military Cemetery.

    Bar to Victoria Cross

    Chavasse's second award was made during the period July 31 to August 2, 1917, at Wieltje, Belgium. Chavasse, although severely wounded early in the action while carrying a wounded officer to the dressing station, refused to leave his post and in addition to his normal duties, went out repeatedly under heavy fire to attend the wounded. During this time, although practically without food, worn with fatigue and faint from his wound, he helped to carry in badly-wounded men, being instrumental in saving many who would otherwise have died in the bad weather. Chavasse died of his wounds in Brandhoek. He is buried at Brandhoek New Military Cemetery, Vlamertinge.
  11. spidge


    Charles Hazlitt Upham VC & Bar

    [​IMG]Charles Hazlitt Upham (centre), seen here with members of his platoon in North Africa, is probably New Zealand's most famous soldier. Born in Christchurch in 1908, Charles joined the 2nd NZ Expeditionary Force soon after war broke out in September 1939. He fought with the NZ Division in Greece in March 1941, then in Crete in May. His remarkable bravery during the bitter fighting on Crete earned him a Victoria Cross, awarded in October 1941.
    In June and July 1942 Upham again showed tremendous courage leading his men in ferocious actions at Minqar Qaim and Ruweisat Ridge in the North African desert. In the latter battle he was wounded and captured by the Germans. After trying to escape from captivity several times, in 1944 he was sent to the notorious German prison at Colditz. After he was liberated in 1945, the military authorities decided that his actions at Minqar Qaim and Ruweisat Ridge merited the addition of a bar to his VC. As a result, he became one of only three people ever to win the Victoria Cross twice.
    After the war Upham returned to farming life in Canterbury, where in died in 1994. Modest and selfless, but extremely tough and single-minded, Upham came to symbolise the steely determination and professionalism of the New Zealand Division in the Second World War.
  12. spidge


    Arthur Martin-Leake

    w[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Martin-Leake, VC and bar.

    Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Martin-Leake, VC and Bar (4 April 1874June 22, 1953) was an English double recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. Martin-Leake was the first of only three men to be awarded the VC twice (the others are N.G. Chavasse and C.H. Upham).

    Boer War VC

    He was 27 years old, and a surgeon captain in the South African Constabulary then, Royal Army Medical Corps, British Army, attached to the 5th Field Ambulance during the South African War (Boer War) when he won his first VC.
    On 8 February 1902, at Vlakfontein, South Africa, Martin-Leake went out into the firing line to dress a wounded man under heavy enemy fire only 100 yards off. He then attended a badly wounded officer and while doing so was shot. He gave up only when thoroughly exhausted and then refused water until other wounded men had been served.

    World War I VC

    He won his second VC during the period 29 October to 8 November 1914 near Zonnebeke, Belgium, when, the award citation says, Martin-Leake showed most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty in rescuing, while exposed to constant fire, a large number of the wounded who were lying close to the enemy's trenches.
    He later achieved the rank of lieutenant-colonel. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Army Medical Services Museum, Aldershot, England.
    Martin-Leake is buried in St John's Church, High Cross, Hertfordshire.
  13. Apparently there have been 5 American or American born persons to earn a Victoria Cross fighting with Commonwealth forces. 4 during WWI and 1 during the "Bombimng of Shimonoseki" in 1864. In addition, the American Unknown Soldier from WWI was also awarded a Victoria Cross on November 11, 1921 during his internement. Reciprocally the British Unknown Soldier was also awarded the American Medal of Honor. Here are the American winners of the Victoria Cross:

    Captain Bellenden Seymour Hutchison served in the Canadian Army Medical Corps of the CEF. On 2 September 1918 in France, Captain Hutcheson went through the Queant Drocourt Support Line with his battalion, remaining on the field until every wounded man had been attended to. He dressed the wounds of a seriously hurt officer under terrific machine-gun and shell fire, and with the help of prisoners and his own men succeeded in evacuating the officer to safety. Immediately afterwards he rushed forward in full view of the enemy to attend a wounded sergeant and having placed him in a shell-hole, dressed his wounds.

    Lance Corporal William Henry Metcalf served in the Manitoba Regiment of the CEF. On 2 September 1918 at Arras, France, when the right flank of the battalion was held up, Lance-Corporal Metcalf rushed forward under intense machine-gun fire to a passing tank and with his signal flag walked in front of the tank directing it along the trench in a perfect hail of bullets and bombs. The machine-gun strong-point was overcome, very heavy casualties were inflicted and a critical situation was relieved. Later, although wounded, Corporal Metcalf continued to advance until ordered to get into a shell-hole and have his wounds dressed.

    Sergeant George Harry Mullin, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI), Eastern Ontario Regiments of the CEF. On 30 October 1917 at Passchendaele, Belgium, Sergeant Mullin single-handed captured a pill-box which had withstood heavy bombardment and was causing heavy casualties and holding up the attack. He rushed the snipers' post in front, destroyed the garrison with bombs, shot two gunners and then compelled the remaining 10 men to surrender. All the time rapid fire was directed on him and his clothes were riddled with bullets, but he never faltered in his purpose and he not only helped to save the situation but indirectly saved many lives.

    Sergeant Raphael Louis Zengel, Saskatchewan Regiment of the CEF. On 9 August 1918 east of Warvillers, France, Sergeant Zengel was leading his platoon forward to the attack when he realised that an enemy machine-gun was firing into the advancing line. He rushed forward ahead of the platoon to the gun emplacement, killed the officer and operator of the gun and dispersed the crew. Later in the day he was rendered temporarily unconscious by an enemy shell but on recovering continued to direct harassing fire on the enemy. His utter disregard for personal safety and the confidence he inspired in all ranks greatly assisted in the successful outcome of the attack.

    Ordinary Seaman William Henry Harrison Seeley served in the Royal Navy (there was no Royal Canadian Navy at the time) during the Shimonoseki Expedition in Japan. On 6 September 1864 at Shimonoseki, Japan, during the capture of the enemy's stockade, Ordinary Seaman Seeley of HMS Euryalus distinguished himself by carrying out a daring reconnaissance to ascertain the enemy's position, and then, although wounded, continuing to take part in the final assault on the battery. Seeley was the first American to be awarded a Victoria Cross.

    Source: American VC Recipients

    CROONAERT Ipsissimus

    The that the world seems to forget about...

    Cpl.B.J.Budd, 3/Parachute Regiment...

    Attached Files:

    • 13.jpg
      File size:
      249.8 KB
  15. Slipdigit

    Slipdigit Old Hickory Recon

    Found this ineteresting.

    Victoria Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It is a tradition within the Australian Army for soldiers' recreational clubs on military bases to be named after a particular Victoria Cross winner, usually one with whom the unit is historically associated. Permission for such naming rights is usually obtained not only from the relevant command hierarchy within the military itself, but also from the family of the VC winner. Once dedicated, the club and its participants typically take great pride in the deeds of the VC winner with whom they are associated, and often family members will be invited to attend certain functions held by the club as a mark of thanks and respect.
    Examples of such clubs can be found right across Australia, but more prominent ones include the Edmondson VC Club at ARTC Kapooka (named after John Hurst Edmondson), the Dunstan VC Club at Puckapunyal military base in Victoria, Australia (named after William Dunstan) and the Arthur C. Hall VC Club at Victoria Barracks in Sydney (named after Arthur Charles Hall).
  16. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

  17. Gerard

    Gerard Seelow/Prora

    Well done on those Posts Adam and DB, and indeed that poster is indicative of the political situation in Ireland at the time. There was a huge push in WW1 to get the Irish to enlist indeed Irish Politicians were of the opinion that a favourable turnout for the British Army could precipitate the onset of "Home Rule", which of course was frowned upon by both Unionists under Edward Carson. And of course the Nationalist leaders such as Padraig Pearse viewed Home Rule as not good enough and that only full independence would suffice.

    My point is that a lot of southern Irishmen went into the British Army against a backdrop of conflicting emotions and indeed a lot of them were unfairly pilloried upon their return because they took the King's shilling. The travesty of this was that the very people who waved them off at the start to defend "Little Belgium" were the very ones who insulted them upon their return at the end. The rising of 1916 ensured that this would happen. Not a very proud moment in Irish History (the treatment of the Irish Veterans).
  18. dbf

    dbf Moderatrix MOD

    Thanks GH,

    Couldn't agree with you more about the treatment of those who volunteered [- there was no conscription in Ireland -] to serve with the British Army only to be ridiculed later. And on the flipside, those loyal to the Union, thought that by proving their affiliation by enlisting, they could ensure that Ireland would not be partitioned.

    Ironies abound as usual Gerard.

    Let us not forget that RoI was neutral and that many from there signed on for WW2 fighting in essence for their 'old foe'. My father, from Belfast fought alongside his best mate from Dublin. During the Belfast Blitz De Valera sent fire engines and crews to help tackle the blazes and rescue the trapped. For once it was recognised that all of us were Irish, whether from the North or the South.

  19. Gerard

    Gerard Seelow/Prora

    Thanks GH,

    Couldn't agree with you more about the treatment of those who volunteered [- there was no conscription in Ireland -] to serve with the British Army only to be ridiculed later. And on the flipside, those loyal to the Union, thought that by proving their affiliation by enlisting, they could ensure that Ireland would not be partitioned.

    Ironies abound as usual Gerard.

    Let us not forget that RoI was neutral and that many from there signed on for WW2 fighting in essence for their 'old foe'. My father, from Belfast fought alongside his best mate from Dublin. During the Belfast Blitz De Valera sent fire engines and crews to help tackle the blazes and rescue the trapped. For once it was recognised that all of us were Irish, whether from the North or the South.

    That was indeed one of the rare moments when it rivalries were put aside and the greater good was recognised.
  20. macrusk

    macrusk Proud Daughter

Share This Page