The "Bombie",Grove open space Arnos Grove,London

Discussion in 'War Cemeteries & War Memorial Research' started by CL1, Jun 19, 2018.

  1. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    Suffered significant bomb damage during World War II. On the night of the 17th April 1941 during the Blitz a high explosive bomb caused damage to the Baptist Church and Hall Rest Centre. Three years later on 19th July 1944 a V1 Flying Bomb struck in the area. Grove Villa, which was believed to have been built during the 1850s, and Woodland Lodge were both destroyed and formed the site of the “Bombie” today. Both the Baptist Church and St Paul’s and their halls were seriously damaged in the blast. St Paul’s Hall was repaired and reopened in 1952; this is recorded on an engraved stone set in the wall. The “Bombie” site became an area for local children to play after the war and has remained an open space ever since.
    https://www.dugdalecentre.co.uk/media/local-studies-information-new-southgate-heritage-trail.pdf


    upload_2018-6-19_17-11-41.png
    upload_2018-6-19_17-11-50.png upload_2018-6-19_17-11-59.png upload_2018-6-19_17-12-12.png upload_2018-6-19_17-12-41.png upload_2018-6-19_17-12-51.png upload_2018-6-19_17-13-2.png upload_2018-6-19_17-13-13.png
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page