Royal Engineers Corps Number (Release Leave Cirtificate)

Discussion in 'Royal Engineers' started by Matt-G, Dec 3, 2017.

  1. Matt-G

    Matt-G New Member

    Hi I'm just doing some research into my Grandad and I have the original of his "Release Leave Cirtificate" but not his service record. He was a driver and enlisted in 1942 for the Royal engineers. On the form there's a section titled "unit, regt or corps" and "869 M.E. Coy RE" next to it. I assume the "M.E. Coy RE" stands for Mechanical Equipment Company Royal Engineers and the 869 is the company. However, a 139 and a 138 M.E. Coy RE pops up at the national archives but I can't find any trace of "869". Would someone be able to tell me whether I'm right, the unit or what this number stands for.
  2. horsapassenger

    horsapassenger Senior Member


    It might be worth looking at the following files - all 869 Coy RE
    WO 166/8347 Oct - Dec 1942
    WO 166/12268 - 1943
    WO 171/1723 - 1944
    WO 171/5671 Jan - Jun 1945
    WO 166/17012 Jun- Dec 1945
  3. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Don'tre member

    Hi Matt


    Its always a good idea to obtain service records - link here - Request records of deceased service personnel - GOV.UK - he may not have served with the same unit throughout the entirety of the war and his records are the only way of knowing who he served with and where. Then search out his WAr Diaries once you know for sure which units he was in.


Share This Page