Help wanted to ID Canadian POW

Discussion in 'Searching for Someone & Military Genealogy' started by robins2, Nov 26, 2018.

  1. robins2

    robins2 Active Member

  2. HA96

    HA96 Member

  3. robins2

    robins2 Active Member

    I posted the link on behalf of Fred Jones Museum curator Belgium , he is looking to ID the Aboriginal soldier (who was a POW) so they can build a tribute using a mannequin and were hoping someone could put a name to him
  4. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Don'tre member

    As HA96 - I cannot open the link - would like to help but need details to work from, which it appears we cannot access - I too am not a Farcebrook user

  5. alieneyes

    alieneyes Senior Member

  6. robins2

    robins2 Active Member

    thank you alieneyes
  7. canuck

    canuck Token Colonial Patron

    Knokke-Heist was liberated on November 1st, 1944 by the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

    There is a reference to the Canadian POW's in this excerpt. Presumably they were captured from multiple units during the Scheldt battles.

    In the early morning of 1 November the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division (2nd Canadian Corps) was firmly established in the eastern outskirts of Knokke: the Highland Infantry of Canada in the northeast, the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders in the eastern villa quarter and the North Nova Scotia Highlanders in the southeast of the city.
    At around 9 am the Highland Infantry of Canada received orders to clear the Atlantikwall positions to the northeast. This was considered essential, since that area had been passed during the successful attacks of the previous day. The resistance encountered was so heavy that flame-throwing Wasp vehicles and M-10 tanks had to be used. Especially the defenders of Stützpunkt Tobruk in the northeastern corner of Belgium appeared unwilling to surrender. Even though the planned heavy 28 cm guns had not been installed, four large gun bunkers and other bunkers had been finished and the strongpoint had been been fully prepared for defence. The Canadians sent a German prisoner in an attempt to induce the German commander to surrender, which the latter refused. When the Canadian attack was launched soon thereafter and man-to-man fighting ensued, the German commander and around 250 soldiers surrendered. After that, the dune area westwards to Knokke was cleared without much opposition. Having arrived in Knokke, the Canadians received a warm welcome from the inhabitants.
    In its attempts to advance through the southern parts of Knokke in the afternoon the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders suffered substantial casualties when a German gun near the strongpoint at the railway station opened fire on them. Exploding shells caused dozens of casualties among soldiers and civilians. Further plans to continue the advance towards Duinbergen were abandoned in the face of heavy resistance. Instead, during the night a patrol was sent out, which managed to get close to the water tower on the east of Duinbergen but suffered casualties in a firefight there. A second patrol managed to penetrate further, but reported heavy resistance in the south of Duinbergen. The North Nova Scotia Highlanders were also active during the night and reported German resistance on the northern approach to Duinbergen. As Duinbergen thus appeared to be heavily defended from all, sides, the planned morning attack by the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders was cancelled. Instead, the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, who were advancing along the coast were ordered to clear Duinbergen the next day.
    The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, who had initially been ordered to advance right through the centre of Knokke to Heist, sent combat patrols into the centre in the early hours of the day, closely followed by the companies. Even before daybreak the battalion had already passed the starting line and the companies were fighting several actions. During one of those 156 Canadian prisoners were liberated in the cellars of the Dorchester Hotel. Meanwhile, the battalion was approaching the strongpoint occupied by Generalmajor Knut Eberding, the commander of the 64th Infantry Division. When the battalion had reached the western side of the golf course by noon via de Zoutelaan, the two attacking companies were held up by heavy fire from the strongpoint. When the Canadians brought forwards reinforcements, Eberding surrendered.
    On 1 November the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade was also pushing forward much further to the south, encountering only light resistance during the night. Le Régiment de la Chaudière was able to expand its bridgehead across the Uitwateringskanaal north of Sluis. In the early morning the North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment attacked the Dutch town of Sluis and cleared it before noon. After Sint Anna ter Muiden had also been occupied, the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada were ordered to continue the attack in a westerly direction. The battalion arrived in Sint Anna ter Muiden in the afternoon and sent out patrols towards the Belgian town of Westkapelle.
    Supported by fighter bombers M-10 tanks and artillery the 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment began its attack near Oostkerke. Once across the canal the attack continued in a westerly direction and Oostkerke was occupied without much resistance. A second attack was made along side the canal towards Sluis, resulting in the capture of Hoeke and 65 prisoners by nightfall.

    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    alieneyes likes this.
  8. canuck

    canuck Token Colonial Patron

  9. robins2

    robins2 Active Member

    thank you for the info, info was passed on to the original inquirer (with ref. to you)for submitting the information
  10. Seroster

    Seroster Canadian researcher

    So was someone was already able to identify the soldier? I'm confused (but interested).
  11. robins2

    robins2 Active Member

    No id yet

Share This Page