Help needed tracing regiment

Discussion in 'General' started by griz68, Apr 26, 2016.

  1. griz68

    griz68 Junior Member

    Can anyone suggest a way to find out what regiment someone served in if all you have is their name and date/place of birth. I have a photograph of the man in uniform but there are no badges in sight. I have tried searching the Forces War Records as well as Ancestry and Findmypast with no luck. I know service records are still held with the MOD and you can request them, but surely there is somewhere I can just find out who he served with? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Don'tre member

    Post or provide all the information you have and lets see where we get to. Is this a relation of yours?

  3. Drew5233

    Drew5233 #FuturePilot Patron 1940 Obsessive

    In a word...No

    A soldiers service records are still protected under the data protection act and have to be applied for in writing. It will be some years yet before they are all placed in the public domain. As Richard has said post up some info, he's pretty good at looking for people and you may get lucky.

    Welcome by the way and goodluck
  4. griz68

    griz68 Junior Member

    Thanks. No not a relative of mine, but am doing it for a friend of a friend as I have an interest in family history and she wondered if I could help as I like helping other people solve their mysteries. I will ask her to ask her friend for permission to post the pictures I have and she said there is writing on the back of one of the photographs that she is going to send me as well.

Share This Page