The picture was taken in Schwednitz/Silesia in October 1944. Flettner Fl 282 reconnaissance helicopter The Flettner Fl 282 was the first helicopter to be used in warfare. During World War II, Nazi Germany tested the craft in the Mediterranean theatre. Plans to build 1,000 Flettner Fl 282 was abandoned after the Flettner factories were bombed by the Allies. Only three of these helicopters survived the war; the rest were destroyed to prevent capture. Today only a few components still exist.