This war memorial is situated in front of Number 90 The Esplanade in Weymouth. It is made of Portland stone and was erected in 1947. The memorial comprises an octagonal pedestal with fielded panels. The memorial was erected on 3rd December 1947 in memory of the more than half a million American servicemen who passed through Weymouth and Portland to reach the beaches of Normandy between 6th June 1944 and the end of the war on 7th May 1945. The memorial records that 517,816 troops and 144,093 vehicles embarked at Weymouth between 6th June 1944 and 7th May 1945. In recent years several plaques commemorating the involvement of American troops during World War II have been added to the memorial (1999, 2002 and 2004).