Army records

Discussion in 'User Introductions' started by Gray Benham, Oct 7, 2019.

  1. Gray Benham

    Gray Benham Member

    Hi, love the forum, like minded people and all. Was advised to get army records to fill in gaps and did as asked. Death certs obtained, forms filled in, Cheques sent. The cheques have been cashed last month but still awaiting any info after over four months. Is this normal?
  2. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

    give then a call

    The Army Personnel Centre Helpdesk (0345 600 9663) provides assistance to Army units, outside agencies and the general public who are inquiring about the disclosure of information held on officers and soldiers.
    ozzy16 and timuk like this.
  3. wibs12

    wibs12 Patron Patron

    My last enquiry saw the cheque cashed first week of June, service record received just last week so nearly four months between the two........ suggestion to ring above can't do any harm.
  4. Gray Benham

    Gray Benham Member

    Finally received 2 of the 3 service records but a lot of the info is blanked out. Why would this be?
  5. Tullybrone

    Tullybrone Senior Member


    Difficult to give an informed opinion without having sight of the records to put it all into context.

    Perhaps sensitive medical information?

    Perhaps the sensitive nature of his posting?

    If you post the records perhaps members may be able to “read between the lines” and provide an informed opinion.

  6. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery Patron

  7. timuk

    timuk Well-Known Member

    From your other thread. Did you or the grand daughter apply for the Records? If the grand daughter, did she apply as next of kin? If not and as the serviceman only died last year the MOD will only release basic and limited information.

  8. Gray Benham

    Gray Benham Member

    It was obtained in her name. She now has the records. I have my fathers records which also have blanked out areas. My father passed in 1984. Would love to know more.

    Attached Files:

  9. Tullybrone

    Tullybrone Senior Member


    Thanks for posting.

    As the majority of the entries in these B103 are medically related I could only guess that the edited entries contain medical detail that MOD still consider to be sensitive - perhaps more so as he was a “boy soldier” at the time.

  10. Gray Benham

    Gray Benham Member

    Is there any way i could get this info?
  11. Tullybrone

    Tullybrone Senior Member


    Your first step should be to contact the Records Office in Glasgow in writing to ask for a written explanation of the reason why you have been provided with an edited version of your father’s record.

    Once you have their reply - if you don’t consider it acceptable - you could consider making a freedom of information request for the release of the withheld information or contact your MP and ask that he/she intervene on your behalf.

    Tricky Dicky and timuk like this.

Share This Page