4 replies to this topic

#1 keith78

keith78

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationandover

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

I am going on holiday in the Black Forest in Germany, for two weeks in August 2008. Are there any WW2 relics, history, graves, etc i could go and look at for myself or for :Dsomeone?

#2 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Ipsissimus

• Registered Users
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

I can start you off with some german military cemeteries in the area if you're interested...

Emmendingen - 638 war dead (407 soldiers from the military hospital , plus 231 men and women from bombing raids at the end of the war)

Donaueschingen - 657 war dead

Badenweiler - 79 war dead from WW1 and 247 from WW2 (military hospital cemetery).

There are four or five others a little further afield also, but I think that the above 3 are actually in the Schwarzwald itself.

Dave.

#3 MLW

MLW

• Registered Users
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

Well, you could visit the site of one of Hitler's wartime headquarters - Tannenberg - located south of Baden-Baden. Not much is there - lots of pine trees and some concrete and brick foundations. I can't find my references right now, but I would be surprised if someone on this forum didn't know something more about it. A google search or Wikipedia has something about the site. I used the old "After the Battle Magazine" to find it.

Cheers,
Marc
Maginot Line at War 1939-1940

#4 keith78

keith78

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationandover

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

Thank you these suggestions, i will had them to my tour. Does any body if any combat took place here?

#5 Trincomalee

Trincomalee

• Registered Users
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

I have a story for the Worms area . A friend's father , German American , born in the States , took off from his unit one night and went to find his grandmother in a nearby village . She recognised him as soon as he walked through the door because he looked so much like his father . Whilst he was there , one of his uncles , in SS uniform , appeared . Grandmother managed to prevent a massacre .
I wonder how often that happened with American troops .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users