21 replies to this topic

#1 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,295 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

This is a new forum section specifically dedicated to Geoff501 and his impressive search engine.

The WW2 Commonwealth Casualty Search Engine

We reckon it's a significant contribution to the field and well worth supporting in every way we can. To that end we've offered Geoff this space to do what he likes with regarding his work, be it updates, announcements or any other 'notes & queries'.
To all intents this is very much 'his' forum & we'll be sorting out full edit powers for him within this area shortly.

We're pleased that he's happy to make use of us and hope it proves a useful resource for the forum & it's members while simultaneously assisting with a serious WW2 related project or two.

Well worth checking out his main cryptography site as well:

The Crypto Barn

In short; Welcome to WW2Talk Geoff, may the relationship prove beneficial to all.

Cheers,
Adam & the Mod/Admin gang.

Cake?

Any questions about life, the Universe and everything else; ask Owen, he loves all that stuff.

#2 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

Adam and the gang,

Thank you for the welcome to WW2talk and for setting up this sub-forum.

It is hoped that this forum will promote the use of this resource, sort out problems (search engines can be difficult!) and encourage users to suggest additions or changes that may enhance this tool. There has already been some discussion and explanation of problems and some subsequent modifications to the system on the thread started by my pal Tom, from Tipperary, who was very probably the very first user of my search engines.

This is a search engine and not a database. My estimate is that it covers around 98% of UK WW2 casualties (war dead and civilian dead commemorations) and a little more for other nationalities. It may not always be correct (search engine indexing can become out of date if the original data is updated) so in all cases the CWGC record which it links to should be regarded as the true record.

Changes planned to date include the addition of forename/initials searching and some improvement to the Unit Text field. Hopefully these will not take long. The help page could also do with more detailed explanations (but who reads those?).

I hope visitors will please come forward and post if they have any problems or suggestions.

I'm very happy to be able to contribute to this important subject.

Cheers,

Geoff
The WW2 Commonwealth Casualty Search Engine:
http://www.hut-six.c.../search39-47.php

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#3 Gage

Gage

• Super Moderators
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Well done guys. This looks excellent and very useful.

'There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!' Kenneth Lee - after being shot down on the 18th August 1940.

Andree Borrel (Denise) SOE

♫ Now wicked tongues can speak and rewrite history But you can't keep the truth contained And like the song was sung Realize we're one and we're here to stay 

#4 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSitting on my backside-shire

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

A very nice resource Geoff. Thanks for your hard work setting this up and making it available.

I've just found a possible relative of mine listed as a civilian war dead.

Can anyone tell me the definition of a civilian war dead in relation to the CWGC website? Does it mean a civilian in government employ, e.g. ARP or does it refer to any civilian casualty due to the war, e.g. a victim of an air raid?

Lee

#5 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

I've just found a possible relative of mine listed as a civilian war dead.

Can anyone tell me the definition of a civilian war dead in relation to the CWGC website? Does it mean a civilian in government employ, e.g. ARP or does it refer to any civilian casualty due to the war, e.g. a victim of an air raid?
Lee

Lee,

From the cwgc.org website:

"Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour
During the Second World War, the Commission was given the task of compiling as complete a list as possible of Commonwealth civilians whose deaths were due to enemy action. The complete roll of some 66,400 names is bound in seven volumes and kept near St George’s Chapel in Westminster Abbey, where a different page is displayed each day."

The WW2 Civilian roll was requested by Churchill. In WW1, only military and war service deaths (mercantile marine, nursing, etc) were added to The Commissions roll.

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#6 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

With respect to the Irish question, Eire deaths, I came up with 1,000 under the Ireland and Northern Ireland headings with 400? under the Republic of Ireland.

The 400 seems a small amount to me so someone might like to do another check.

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#7 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Ubique

• Super Moderators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK/France

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

This is an excellent development for an important research tool - I am sure this will result in some fascinating threads.

"The only way you get out of infantry is on a stretcher or six feet under..."

Battlefields of WW2
: The Guide to visiting WW2 Battlefields.

www.ww2battlefields.com

#8 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

The 400 seems a small amount to me so someone might like to do another check.

I ran this search a while back, I believe it is correct. If you entered republic of ireland into the Including field, leaving other fields blank, it would find those records which have 'Republic of Ireland' in the CWGC Additional Information field. I think only around 75% of records have some information in this field, given by the next of kin. It is possible there are other records with Irish place names that do not have this. You could try searching on Irish counties or towns. It is also likely that this detail was simply not given by the next of kin in many cases. I noticed that quite a few of the results were naval.

geoff

ps I should mention that if you ever get 1000 hits, the engine has stopped searching, as it will only report a maximum of 1000. In this case you need to add additional search terms to get all the matches. The easiest way is to enter a date range.

#9 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

You could try searching on Irish counties or towns.

For example entering dublin in the Including field and entering republic in the Not Including field will get another 126 hits, which are additional to your search on republic of ireland.

This search finds all records with 'Dublin' that do not have 'Republic'.

You may have to go on a virtual pub crawl in Ireland. Not a bad idea actually.

(you will also get false hits like 'son of Fred Dublin, of Wolverhampton', if ever he exists)

#10 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

I ran this search a while back, I believe it is correct. If you entered republic of ireland into the Including field, leaving other fields blank, it would find those records which have 'Republic of Ireland' in the CWGC Additional Information field. I think only around 75% of records have some information in this field, given by the next of kin. It is possible there are other records with Irish place names that do not have this. You could try searching on Irish counties or towns. It is also likely that this detail was simply not given by the next of kin in many cases. I noticed that quite a few of the results were naval.
geoff

Aren't there 20 + counties in Eire...............I am just lazy.

ps I should mention that if you ever get 1000 hits, the engine has stopped searching, as it will only report a maximum of 1000. In this case you need to add additional search terms to get all the matches. The easiest way is to enter a date range.

I thought it was a bit low and also a bit of a neat figure.

Thanks Geoff!

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#11 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSitting on my backside-shire

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

Lee,

From the cwgc.org website:

"Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour
During the Second World War, the Commission was given the task of compiling as complete a list as possible of Commonwealth civilians whose deaths were due to enemy action. The complete roll of some 66,400 names is bound in seven volumes and kept near St George’s Chapel in Westminster Abbey, where a different page is displayed each day."

The WW2 Civilian roll was requested by Churchill. In WW1, only military and war service deaths (mercantile marine, nursing, etc) were added to The Commissions roll.

Thanks Geoff :thankyousign:

#12 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,963 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

I just noticed Geoff has started to add a casualty for the day.*
Nice touch.

Remembering Today:
Private John Richard CLARK, 1st Bn., Seaforth Highlanders, who died 28.09.1942. age 22. IMPHAL WAR CEMETERY

Just to add I was wondering how many casualties some of the units fighting in the Keren had and where they were buried or cremated.
Geoff's Search Engine came up trumps again.

* What's the betting it's always been there & I never noticed?
:unsure:

Edited by Owen, 28 September 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#13 Fusilier

Fusilier

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

"Aren't there 20 + counties in Eire...............I am just lazy. "

There are 26 counties in the Irish Republic
Nec Aspera Terrent

#14 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

I just noticed Geoff has started to add a casualty

* What's the betting it's always been there & I never noticed?
:unsure:

Been there a couple of weeks, last weekend I added one to the WW1 engine. Should have invited you to my birthday party:

New search engine? - Great War Forum

The names are chosen randomly, its interesting to read each one every day, I don't know what they are until they appear daily.

( some cake left, but the Merlot is almost gone)

#15 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,963 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

Ah missed that on GWF, I don't go there much anymore.
Happy belated birthday Geoff's Search Engine.

Remembering Today:
Private David John GARDNER, 23rd Bn., New Zealand Infantry, who died 29.09.1944. age 22. RAVENNA WAR CEMETERY

#16 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

Message for spidge.

Geoff, I tried to reply to your PM - but your message storage is full,

geoff

Edited by geoff501, 02 January 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#17 militarycross

militarycross

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

Well done, Geoff. Had fun poking around. Great. Thanks for the work.
phil
:poppy: The face of Sacrifice is a Mother's Face -- streaked with tears.

#18 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Super Moderators
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationProvince of Moribund

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Geoff,
Just wanted to share this with you.

My father asked me to find a cwgc record for a man. His name Smith, Dad wasn't sure any more if it was spelt with an i or y. This man was killed near Estry and was in a Scottish Reg. and from Cookstown.

Luckily I had the WD for Dad's Bn which made mention of 2 Regs which 3IG passed through. Checked for both spellings under both Regiments during 2 days and got only one name. No NOK was listed by cwgc, but the Army RoH lists him as a native of Co. Tyrone. :poppy:

Now after over 64 years I was able to confirm the name and date for Dad; one more of his stories verified - thanks to your engine.

Cheers,
D

#19 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

Message for spidge.

Geoff, I tried to reply to your PM - but your message storage is full,

geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I emptied out a heap last week and it is bloody well full again.

I will delete a few so you can resend.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#20 wtid45

wtid45

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Having done a search for two 7 para guys buried in Bristol, I then looked to see if I could find any more Parachute Regiment casualties from Bristol, and came up with 11 more. If it was not for the including section, I would not have been able to find the others thanks Geoff!

#21 Jay1991

Jay1991

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

|Firstly i would like to say grats on the effectiveness of the search engine i located my great grandfather and as a result visited hes grave in medjez el bab which was absolutely stunning. I would like to find more information as to my great grandfathers death and a little bit about the campaign he served in. Can you advise as to a way of doing this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks
Jason

#22 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Super Moderators
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationProvince of Moribund

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hello Jason,
Welcome to the forum.

Geoff will be pleased that his engine helped. We all think it's the bees knees.

I'd suggest though starting a new thread under Searching for someone / miliitary genealogy, putting your g.grandfather's name or regiment in the title.

http://www.ww2talk.c...tary-genealogy/

Give as much information as you can, ie the cwgc entry/link, for knowing Regiment and date of death would help some of us to check for background and, state whether or not anyone in the family has applied for his records... which is always the best place to start.

Best wishes,
Diane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users