Generals of World War II

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

I think that most of you (or so I hope) know my site: The Generals of World War II at www.generals.dk and I just want to tell you about the major recent updates, latest this Friday, that has taken place on the site.

The database now contains 16543 generals with picture of 611 of them. The recent updates include:

Addition of the USAAF generals to the American section
Addition of Kanji characters for the names of the majority of the Japanese generals
Addition of a new section on the Thai generals
Changed the Romanization of the names of the Chinese generals from the Wade-Giles system to Pinyin. Addition of Chinese characters for a number of the generals.
Addition of the generals' nicknames

The database now have this distribution:
200 Australian generals
112 Belgian generals
17 Brazilian generals
114 Bulgarian generals
201 Canadian generals
1083 Chinese generals
92 Croatian generals
198 Czechoslovakian generals
16 Danish generals
44 Dutch generals
20 Estonian generals
63 Finnish generals
992 French generals
257 German generals
2611 British generals
60 Greek generals
367 Hungarian generals
1085 Italian generals
1639 Japanese generals
33 Latvian generals
36 Lithuanian generals
79 New Zealand generals
11 Norwegian generals
197 Polish generals
291 Romanian generals
35 South African generals
4865 Soviet generals
30 Thai generals
1618 US generals
177 Yugoslav generals

I hope you find it useful.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

#2 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

Steen

Thanks for the update to your worthy site. Folks, if you have not already done so, visit Steen's site. Its well worth it!

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#3 Kyt

Kyt

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hi Steen

Great site. Think I'll spend the afternoon browsing it. :D

Just one suggestion - would it be possible to have another search field that includes "theatre of Operation" - so, for example, we could search for generals who served in Burma etc.

Thanks - now back to the site.

(half way down the page)

#4 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

Well done Steen.

I have been wondering what you have been busy doing!

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#5 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

Thank you to you all.

@kyt
Well a "Theatre of Operations" field would be quite a work. However if you search for burma in the assigment field you will find most of them.

@spidge
I have had a very long period where I wasn't able to post anything on the forum. This and the turmoil the forum has been through has keept me away.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#6 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:32 AM

Thank you to you all.

@kyt
Well a "Theatre of Operations" field would be quite a work. However if you search for burma in the assigment field you will find most of them.

@spidge
I have had a very long period where I wasn't able to post anything on the forum. This and the turmoil the forum has been through has keept me away.

Steen,

It is good that we can now welcome back friends of the forum!

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#7 Harry Ree

Harry Ree

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

Steen,

From what I see you have created a first class reference library for those involved in military research. A worthy project

#8 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

This forum is starting to get back to where it was before the Eastern "Flame Wars" and the change in ownership which caused people to leave.

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

#9 Kyt

Kyt

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:20 AM

Thank you to you all.

@kyt

@spidge

Hi Steen,

my apologies - as usual I didn't pay enough attention to the search facilities. The assignment field is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for a great site :)

(half way down the page)

#10 richieftm

richieftm

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

I am a member of the Royal Navy doing a course in HMS COLLINGWOOD our class has been named after Fieldmarshall slim.We are looking for as much info as possible especially his leadership attributes.We hav to do a play this thursday 21/12/06 on him.As my great uncle was a Lt Col in the Burma campain this means a lot to me. So please can anyone shine some light on him for me.also i believe there was a film made in 1973 about him does anyone now the title and how to get a copy.
Thanks

#11 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

Welcome Richie.

I have been offline so the best I can offer is a wiki.

William Slim, 1st Viscount Slim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spidge,

#12 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

I see that I have neglected to bring information about my website updates. So here is a status.

The database now covers 17409 generals distributed over these nations.

AUS 235
BEL 112
BGR 107
BRA 27
CAN 219
CHN 1139
CZE 196
DEN 16
EST 20
FIN 63
FRA 1008
GER 257
GBR 2622
GRC 61
HUN 366
HVR 93
ITA 1181
JPN 1626
LVA 33
LTU 36
NLD 44
NOR 11
NZL 78
POL 196
ROU 270
SOV 5490 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force VVS)
THA 30
USA 1656 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force USAAF)
YUG 177
ZAF 37

There are now photos over a thousand generals.

Enjoy
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#13 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Steen,

Great work.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#14 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

I am happy to report on the recent update of the database, which now covers 17653 generals. A lot of new information has been added to the Chinese and Soviet sections. The database also now contains portraits of 1832 generals.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#15 David Layne

David Layne

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Excellent work Steen.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

#16 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,533 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

I wasn't aware of the existence of this site. I am amazed at the enourmous amount of work that got into making this.

Thank you very much, Steen!

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#17 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

Well done Steen.

Good to see the numbers still increasing.

Spidge,

#18 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Reaching a milestone. I have just made an update of the database bringing the total number of generals registered over 20.000. The number of generals is now 20.112. A lot of new information has been added to excisting generals in particular within the British, Chinese, Greek, Soviet and US Sections. More that 300 generals without a photo now have a face.

Again alllow me to express my graditude to all those who has help with information or photos.

Enjoy!
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#19 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have been working hard on getting new information, and I have today made an update of the database. More than 1000 new generals have been added to the database - primarily Chinese but also a considerably number of British and US generals has been added. Besides adding new generals a lot of information has been added to the existing ones – again it is mainly the British, Chinese and US sections that have benefitted from this update. More than 300 previously faceless generals are now with a photo.
I hope that you will continue to find the database useful.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#20 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Its still a very useful site Steen! Keep up the good work!

- General Heinz Guderian

#21 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Well done Steen.
Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

#22 MeaganK777

MeaganK777

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Wow Steen great site. I spent a long time looking through it, very well done!

#23 Steve Mac

Steve Mac

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationWor Hoose

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

I have been working hard on getting new information, and I have today made an update of the database. More than 1000 new generals have been added to the database - primarily Chinese but also a considerably number of British and US generals has been added. Besides adding new generals a lot of information has been added to the existing ones – again it is mainly the British, Chinese and US sections that have benefitted from this update. More than 300 previously faceless generals are now with a photo.
I hope that you will continue to find the database useful.

I see that I have neglected to bring information about my website updates. So here is a status.

The database now covers 17409 generals distributed over these nations.

AUS 235
BEL 112
BGR 107
BRA 27
CAN 219
CHN 1139
CZE 196
DEN 16
EST 20
FIN 63
FRA 1008
GER 257
GBR 2622
GRC 61
HUN 366
HVR 93
ITA 1181
JPN 1626
LVA 33
LTU 36
NLD 44
NOR 11
NZL 78
POL 196
ROU 270
SOV 5490 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force VVS)
THA 30
USA 1656 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force USAAF)
YUG 177
ZAF 37

There are now photos over a thousand generals.

Enjoy

Hello Steen,

Thanks for then update. Have you got a contribution table like the earlier one above!

Best,

Steve.

#24 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thank you all.

Steve - it is easily produced. Here you are:

AUS 251
BEL 113
BGR 107
BRA 75
CAN 232
CHN 3898
CZE 198
DEN 16
EST 19
FIN 63
FRA 1025
GER 264
GBR 3058
GRC 63
HUN 367
HVR 90
ITA 1195
JPN 1622
LVA 33
LTU 19
NLD 44
NOR 11
NZL 77
POL 181
ROU 243
SOV 5549 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force VVS)
THA 30
USA 1973 (This also covers the generals of the Air Force USAAF)
YUG 255
ZAF 38

In the cases were the number has gone down it is because some of the generals was previously thought to have served as generals during the war. Further research has this wasn't the case, they have now been removed.

There are now photos of over 5000 of the generals.

Enjoy.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#25 Steve Mac

Steve Mac

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationWor Hoose

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for that Steen. I like your website!

I am surprised at the low number of German Generals. Is this still work in progress?

Best,

Steve.

#26 MeaganK777

MeaganK777

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for that Steen. I like your website!

I am surprised at the low number of German Generals. Is this still work in progress?

Best,

Steve.

I agree i was suprised as well. Good information on the ones that are there, but i was hoping to see more!

#27 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Yes - the number of German generals in the database is low. I am still have to add a bit more than 3000 Germans generals. I do have information on them - so it is just a question of time. I must admit that I have neglected the German generals and concentrated on the other nations as information on most of the German generals is available on the net.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#28 Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

• Registered Users
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

After a long time preparing it a new update was made yesterday. More than 400 (Including German) generals have been added to the database bringing the number up to 21502 generals covered. I added photos on more 500 generals.

Otherwise a lot of information has been added to the American, Chinese, French and Japanese generals.

Enjoy.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

#29 L J

L J

• Registered Users
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for that

#30 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Well done Steen.

The work is never done.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users