#1 rockape252

rockape252

• Registered Users
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire, England.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

13 Apr 1944

Nos 2771 and 2788 Squadrons, RAF Regiment, were detached to the US 5th Army to reinforce army units in the front line at Monte Cassino, Italy.

Regards, Mick D.

"I am Disabled, NOT unable"

#2 minden1759

minden1759

• Registered Users
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Mick.

That is a new one on me.  Do you know exactly where these two Sqns would have been sent and what their role was?  By 13 Apr 44, the Fifth Army involvement at Cassino was restricted to the coastal sector with 85 and 88 US Inf Divs.  These two Sqns were more likely to have been supporting the newly arrived Eighth Army.

Most of the Fifth Army focus was on Anzio by Apr 44.

I would be really interested to know.

Regards

FdeP

#3 rockape252

rockape252

• Registered Users
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi minden1759,

I pulled this info off RockNet to day.

I'll ask the poster and get back to you.

Regards, Mick D.

#4 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

In April 1944, Nos.2771 and 2788 Field Squadrons, wearing the shoulder flash of the American 5th Army, were deployed in the British front line north of Cassino. Under the command of a New Zealand brigade they held positions at the end of the winding track leading to the precipitous Belvedere Heights for most of the time. However, in May 1944 the Regiment squadrons were temporarily redeployed to reinforce the line between the Black Watch and the Royal Fusiliers on the high ground to the North of the aptly-named Inferno Bowl.

The RAF Regiment at War 1942-1946 by Oliver

WW2Talk: the Greater War Forum

#5 bexley84

bexley84

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

"to" should have been "from" obviously - actually not sure that's right either.

Edited by bexley84, 13 April 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#6 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Some memoirs on here but have to be a member of that group.

http://www.montecass.../recollections/

The Reverend E.W.C. Bale

2788 Squadron, The RAF Regiment

The first part of Reverend Bale’s account appeared in the supplement to the Fall 2006 newsletter.

So it was my turn again, and again we were transported through Venafro up the mountains, but this time down the hill in our lorries…
Read more »  

Benjamin Spreadbury

2788 Field Squadron, RAF Regiment

Chapter 2

As we passed through Gibraltar under cover of darkness, we knew by now that we must be nearing our destination. We could see the lights of Tangiers brilliantly lit up as they too were neutral. By the next day we were…
Read more »

Benjamin Spreadbury

2888 Field Squadrantm RAF Regiment

Chapter 1

We were a large family of 11 children, 6 boys and 5 girls 9 of whom survived. I was the 8th but there are only 2 of us left. Of the 6 boys, 5 saw service in the Second World War.…
Read more »

#7 rockape252

rockape252

• Registered Users
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hi minden1759,

From my source on RockNet

"Hi Mick,

All of the “On this day in History” quotes are from the book “The Royal Air Force Day by Day” by Air Cdre Graham Pitchfork.

The 13 Apr 44 entry is on page 112.

I’ve had a quick look in “The RAF Regiment at War” by Kingsley Oliver and he backs up the story on page 74:

“In April 1944 Nos.2771 and 2788 Field Squadrons, wearing the shoulder flash of the American 5th Army, were deployed in the British front line north of Cassino.

Under the command of a New Zealand brigade they held positions at the end of the winding track leading to the precipitous Belvedere Heights for most of the time.

However, in May 1944 the Regiment squadrons were temporarily redeployed to reinforce the line between the Black Watch and the Royal Fusiliers on the high ground to the north of the aptly-named Inferno Bowl.”

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Duncan."

Regards, Mick D.

#8 minden1759

minden1759

• Registered Users
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Mick.

Thanks for this. Much appreciated. A much weakened 2 NZ Div were holding the line to the north of Cassino around Col Belvedere for much of Apr 44. 23 and 24 NZ Inf Bns were in the line on 24 Apr 44 with a 'composite battalion' in reserve. The Sqns may have been deployed as part of that composite battalion.

I will check the NZ History.

As for being between a Black Watch and a Royal Fusilier battalion in May 44, the only Brigade with both battalions in the formation was 12 Infantry Brigade, 4 BR Infantry Division. Given that this Division was one of the two assault Divisions on 11 May 44, these two Sqns must have spent a very short time in this position.

Regards

FdeP

Edited by minden1759, 13 April 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#9 Wills

Wills

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p004t1hd

Witness World Service/Radio 4 Monte Cassino.

Edited by Wills, 18 January 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#10 bexley84

bexley84

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the link. Hopefully we continue to get these first hand accounts being broadcast as the months/years go by - precious memories and voices..

best

#11 minden1759

minden1759

• Registered Users
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Top link. I think that John Clarke must have been in 6 BW.

FdeP

#12 bexley84

bexley84

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Top link. I think that John Clarke must have been in 6 BW.

which, at the risk of digression, reminds me of what Pat Scott wrote about 6 Black Watch on 19th May 1944:

"Smudger Maxwell, second in command of the Skins, had arrived yesterday to take over command. During the evening of this day, elements of my old 12th Brigade decided that they were going to attack the Skins. I could not quite make out what was happening when Smudger Maxwell called me up on the ‘blower’ to say that he was being attacked by some ‘bare arsed barbarians’.

After some questioning about who these people could be, I began to see the light and asked if he referred to those who dress themselves in the same way as my Brigade Major. He confirmed that they were. It was Brian Madden and his Black Watch. With some difficulty, but without any untoward incident, we managed to fend them off and indicated the general direction in which they might expect to find Germans.

I do not believe they found any, which must have been discouraging for them. We have often fought the English, but seldom the Scottish, and I was glad not to have broken a good record in this respect."

#13 dswellydave

dswellydave

New Chap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Sorry to throw an tangent in this one

my Gfather was in the RTR - originally (it appears) in 45 RTR as a territorial trooper attached to "Tank Re-oy Gp

XIV B list on 13.12.42 , then posted to 

40 RTR 13.2.43 then to

XII (ND) 26.10.43 (El Alamein perhaps??) then to 

40 RTR 5.12.43

ADV SQN 1 Rec??? (hard to read) Unit XIV 15.3.44

then to 6 RTR 19.8.44

WIA 17.4.45 Italy 

XiiNA 17.4.45

DISEMBKD UK to

YList (a) 6.10.46.

I was told he fought at Monte cassino but I cannot verify this through his paperwork mentioned above. Were any of these units fighting at Monte Cassino at this time. He never EVER spoke about his experiences and now as I care to ask, as with many its too late (25 years to late to be exact!!). I was also told his El Alamein experiences were horrendous, but again theres nothing in his war record ( I reckon the Data Protection Act meant parts of his war record werent sent to me ( only got it 3 days ago)). Its much shorter & far less comprehensive than those for WW1 relatives.

Can anyone through a little light on the names dates mentioned above at all?

Many thanks

Dave

#14 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Dave

The best thing to do is to scan the records and post them here. Members are pretty good at deciphering them :)

Lesley

Edited by 4jonboy, 19 January 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Very proud daughter of a 56 Recce.
My father served with the British 78th Infantry (Battleaxe) Division in North Africa, Sicily and Italy
He was one of the "D-Day Dodgers"

#15 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Sorry to throw an tangent in this one

May I suggest starting a new thread in the 'Service Records' section of the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users