• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yet another nutter with a gun fucking up some innocent peoples lives.

BBC News - US firefighters shot dead at blaze in Webster, New York

#2 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Yup, totally agree Owen. Bloody senseless.

#3 Deacs

Deacs

Well i am from Cumbria.

• Registered Users
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Absoloutely shocking.
My thoughts and prayers are with their familys and friends
:poppy: SAPPER ALBERT DEACON 3605477. 80 Assault Squadron Royal Engineers- 14/9/1919.-29/12/2009 :poppy:.

:poppy: DRIVER ROBERT WILLIAM JOHNSTON T/168241.R.A.S.C- 1/8/1917.-9/12/1989 :poppy:.

#4 Warlord

Warlord

Veteran wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationLand of Eternal Spring

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

This world is going to hell! Bl**dy maniacs are taking over.

Lads, regardless of your faith, I ask you, please, to do a little prayer, or at least have a couple of thoughts, for this world of ours. Signs of the times keep showing up all over, and it's up to us to stop the downslide.

May God give confort to the families of these innocent victims.

If I go forward, follow me; if I stop, hurry me; if I retreat, kill me.

Guatemalan special forces motto

Picture shows an Israeli Avia downing an Egyptian Spitfire in ´48. Guatemala gave the deciding vote at the UN that year for Israel to become a nation.

#5 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

We have had our fair share of gun outrages but America takes it to a different level.
Shocking events.

#6 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

We have had our fair share of gun outrages but America takes it to a different level.
Shocking events.

11,000 gun death a year. Just waiting for the NRA to propose arming fire-fighters. A very sick society.
The WW2 Commonwealth Casualty Search Engine:
http://www.hut-six.c.../search39-47.php

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#7 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

11,000 gun death a year. Just waiting for the NRA to propose arming fire-fighters. A very sick society.

Some very sick individuals. Americans, by and large, aren't much different than anyone else. Sure, they tend to wear the flag on their sleeve and are patriotic to a fault but they are also the most generous folks around. They, like us, are products of their history and the 2nd Amendment is one of those tightly held values for many Americans. Most will not compromise on personal freedom.
Through a Canadian or British lense, it looks like madness but it hadn't reached the intolerable stage for Americans yet or the laws would have changed. Sometimes you pay for your principles.
There will be many tragic funerals ahead before anything changes.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

#8 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Americans, by and large, aren't much different than anyone else.

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#9 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

And the Paramedics B)

#10 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Geoff, noticed your link is 'small arms'. What are the stats for auto, semi-auto and shotguns?

#11 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Old Hickory Recon

• Registered Users
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I'm a volunteer firefighter in a rural area of the South.

What makes you think we aren't already armed? Depending on the location in our district, we are potentially 10-20 minutes from arrival of the deputies. The crack and meth heads don't really like us to drive up into their yards. They even put booby traps out to try to slow the police and others down.

Warmest Regards,
Jeff

#12 TTH

TTH

• Registered Users
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

A very sick society.

Our total of homicides is indeed disgraceful, but "a very sick society" goes too far. I don't make such blanket condemnations of Britain when I read of something sick or crazy there. Please weigh your words more carefully.

#13 Gage

Gage

• Super Moderators
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not only are the future being murdered but now the heroes. My thoughts with the families.

'There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!' Kenneth Lee - after being shot down on the 18th August 1940.

Andree Borrel (Denise) SOE

♫ Now wicked tongues can speak and rewrite history But you can't keep the truth contained And like the song was sung Realize we're one and we're here to stay 

#14 Varasc

Varasc

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I read about that on BBC... Incredible. My thoughts for their families.

I have no words, anyway I'm quite pleased to think that here it's sensibly harder to buy a weapon. And even in this way we often have deadly hunting accidents. I fully understand the American way of thinking, their constitution and sense of individual freedom to carry arms, but... These massacres will only lead to a terrified, more and more armed society.
Marco

Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem

www.varasc.it

#15 geoff501

geoff501

• Registered Users
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Our total of homicides is indeed disgraceful, but "a very sick society" goes too far. I don't make such blanket condemnations of Britain when I read of something sick or crazy there. Please weigh your words more carefully.

We get one of these mass homicides every 5 - 10 years. You have one per month. I apologize for going too far with my words.

#16 jacksun

jacksun

• Registered Users
  • 640 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I simply can't imagine the number of incidents in the US that do not hit the mainstream, in your face every second press.

9,146 homicides with guns in 2009 in the US. That's 25+ gun deaths a day or 2.98 per 100k people. This doesn't include accidents or suicides. In Canada, 173 in 2009, 0.5 per 100k people, in the UK, 18 in 2009, 0.03 per 100k people, Australia, 30 in 2009 or 0.1 per 100k people, France 142 or 0.23 (2010), Germany, 188 or 0.2, Japan, 11.

Columbia is worse, as is Russia and Mexico.

Yep, I'd say they have a problem. Six times higher rate than Canada, and 99 times higher rate than the UK.

Guns in the United States: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law

If this hadn't involved firefighters it wouldn't have made the national news. Would have just been another wacko with a gun killing a few people. Press wouldn't have cared.

Thoughts go out to their families, may they rest in peace.

Wayne

http://powvets.com  Research Tips and Links http://www.ww2talk.c...esearchers.html

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napoleon -  When you go home, tell them of us and say, ‘For your tomorrow we gave our today’ - Kohima Memorial

fsmrof.png
http://www.venganza.org/about/
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the sole deity in the monotheistic religion known as Flying Spaghetti Monsterism (FSMism pronounced 'effessmisum'). It has widely been accepted as fact that this is the one and only true religion, just as the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the true Creator and Overseer. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a jealous deity, He doesn't punish the worship of other, false gods, but He really wishes you got some sense and worshiped Him, so you can spend eternity in Heaven, near the Stripper Factory and the Beer Volcano.

#17 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

TTH is absolutely right.
Our U.S. cousins don't need me to defend them but the number of these mass homicides warrant critical attention but not a blanket condemnation. I'm the first to support the need for some reform of existing firearms laws, especially assault weapons, in the U.S. but this intensely debated subject has many complex facets. Clearly, those states with stronger guns laws display lower death rates but the American public, despite mass shootings, does not demonstrate, even now, any stronger desire to change firearms legislation.
Behind the large numbers, the preponderance of gun deaths in the U.S. are in the major urban centers and within the 17-24 male population. Most of whom have criminal records. The poorer, less advantaged areas of the U.S. face much higher risks and the entire problem reflects the same socio-economic issues which have been present in the U.S. for a long time. Blacks are grossly over represented in both victim and offender categories. Six to seven times more than than whites.

As seen in the various threads on this topic, many outside of the U.S. are virulently anti-gun and strongly influenced by a continuous political indoctrination against personal firearms ownership in their own countries. The U.K. and Canada are fairly typical. These same countries have much higher crime rates for assault, rape, break in-ins, drug offenses, etc.

We need some balance in these discussions. Does America have a problem? Absolutely! But they cannot be stereotyped as an irresponsible bunch of gun toting rednecks. That simply isn't true and I'm sure our U.S. forum members are more distressed by recent events than we'll ever know. I wish them the best of luck.

Edited by canuck, 28 December 2012 - 02:55 AM.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users