Photo
- - - - -

Just passing by looking for info. Hello all.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 4nation

4nation

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Joined up here to look for info on my relatives during WW2. So much information on here.

Relatives were -

Father - 11th Field Ambulance. Invasion of Sicily and Italian campaign. Wounded twice.
Mother - Queens Alexandra Nursing. France post D-Day then India,
Uncle.- RNVR Sub Leutenant. Killed during D-Day invasions on LCT875 when returning from offloading tanks at Omaha beach. Landing craft sunk by torpedo from S class boat during night attack.
Father in Law - Gunner / Driver with B squadron 23rd Hussars. Was with the unit from formation to postwar disbandment.

So far have not found anything new but I guess I might come across someone else with info on the above units.

Greetings to all.

#2 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A thread about 11th Field Ambulance here.
http://www.ww2talk.c...-ambulance.html

They were part of the 78th "Battleaxe" Division
Could you tell us your fathers name?

Lesley

Edited by 4jonboy, 12 December 2012 - 08:12 PM.
added link

#3 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Lots more info here on the 78th Division
http://www.ww2talk.c...leaxe-div".html

#4 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

23rd Hussars thread here
http://www.ww2talk.c...d-division.html

#5 4nation

4nation

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the links. All very interesting.

My Fathers name was John ( Jack ) Blockley. So he is the writer of the incident described in the 11th Field ambulance thread. Very poignant to see the photo of the graves of the poor chaps killed near hiim when he was wounded. He also wrote a bit more in the BBC series about his experiences in the beach invasion of Sicily with the Seaforth Highlanders when he was also wounded when collecting someone from a minefield. He was moved to the Hospital ship Thalamba which was then sunk by aircraft attack. I did not know about the 78 div connection.I shall read that up He told me he had been in hospital in North Africa. Also went to South Africa and trained for Sicily invasion in Aquaba, Jordan.

23rd Hussars thread also very interesting. My wife and I retraced the route of the 23rd Hussars a couple of years ago before her father passed away. I have a lot of photos and videos of the area. He had a number of close escapes - you would'nt ususally get a second chance in a Sherman. When I showed him the pictures he commented that he did not remember the roads much because he spent most of his travelling time shut down below looking through a gunsight.

#6 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

#7 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi and welcome,
Can you post some of your research so members might be able to take it further?

#8 Guest_grimmy_*

Guest_grimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi 4nation and welcome,

There is another 23rd Hussars thread here:

http://www.ww2talk.c...rd-hussars.html

I am also in touch with two B Squadron veterans. I would be very interested to know your father-in-law's name.

#9 4nation

4nation

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

His name was Gordan Whale. Nickname Flash ( goes with the Gordon ! ) As far as I know his tank commander was Sergeant Dai Jones.

I have the B squadron booklet, the 11th Armoured and 23rd Hussars books. Also his badges etc and some photo's of when they were in Husum barracks.

As mentioned above I have some recent photo's of the action areas in Northern france. Although the area East of Caan has changed a lot the West and South in many areas seems as it was at the time 11th armoured were there. I'll try and work out how to post pictures and maybe should start a new thread.

#10 Guest_grimmy_*

Guest_grimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Look forward to the photos. There's one of my Dad at Husum in one of my albums:

http://www.ww2talk.c...php?albumid=823

Any modern photos of Cheux, Mondrainville, Colleville, Tourmauville? Would love to see the Epsom locations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users