• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 danish

danish

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm trying to find out which units remained on the Faroe Islands until the end of the war. I'm trying to narrow down the options for a telegraph operator who served at Torshavn until at least August 1945. It seems that there were only about 400 British troops still there by this time. My chap has quite a common name and I don't have his DOB or any other info, except he returned to Durham.

I'd be very grateful for any tips on this, or where I might go to find out. And also as a telegraph operator, you think he's likely to have been a Royal Engineer?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Owen, 06 November 2012 - 09:07 AM.
merged duplicate posts

#2 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Hi Danish and welcome to the forum.
A moderator will remove the duplicate post. A WW2 'Telegraph Operator' is probably more likely to have been Royal Corps of Signals or possibly Royal Air Force. Do you know if he was definately Army?
If you could give his name someone might come up with some information.

#3 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Merged duplicate threads & edited title .

#4 danish

danish

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Firstly, Owen. Thankyou for putting me in my place! And Mike. We think he was a soldier, so the Signal Corps seems more likely. His name was William Hall. After the war he gave an address in Cleadon, Sth Shields. He may have been born in 1922 .
The name comes from a legal doc so should be his full name. Ie no other Christian names.
But he could be RAF!

#5 Wills

Wills

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

For a start - will keep looking: 'Operation Valetine'

From British Government weekly report:

24. The following reinforcements disembarked at Thorshavn ex S . S . Adda
on the 12th November, 1940:—
205 Coast Battery, R.A.
421 Coast Battery, R.A.
Lovat Scouts
4 Officers.
2 Officers.
2 Officers.
141 O.Rs.
71 O.Rs.
87 O.Rs.
Depot R.A. 1 Officer. 19 O.Rs.

At 11 p.m. on 10th April, 1940, the day after the Germans had marched into Denmark; Lieutenant-Colonel T. B. W. Sandall RM was informed that he had been appointed to command a force of Royal Marines which was to proceed to the Faroes immediately.

Allied troops landed at the Faroe Islands, a constituent country of Denmark.
The ill-equipped British 24th Brigade landed at Harstat, Norway 37 miles north of Narvik. Meanwhile, at Namsos, the reserve unit 148th Territorial Brigade boarded cruisers HMS Carlisle and HMS Curacoa for Trondheim, without their anti-aircraft weapons due to lack of space.

Royal Marines were replaced by soldiers of the Lovat Scouts, a Scottish Regiment. In 1942, they were replaced by the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). From 1944, the British garrison was considerably reduced.

BBC - WW2 People's War - A Wireless Operator in the Faroe Islands

Attached File  81-6b1767dd06.jpg   490.63K   4 downloads

Edited by Wills, 06 November 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#6 danish

danish

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, Wills. I can now confirm that he was in Signal Corps. So not RAF. I had found that info about the Lovats etc. It seems the majority of troops left in May 1944 and that only 400 or so remained. I've also looked on Forces Service Records site. There is one contender, a senior signaller but he has other Christian names apart from William. Do you know how comprehensive records on this site are?
If family apply for a service record, do you think just name and Signal Corps is sufficient info?

#7 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I've also looked on Forces Service Records site. There is one contender, a senior signaller but he has other Christian names apart from William. Do you know how comprehensive records on this site are?

Do you mean 'Forces War Records' ?
Ask this member it's his website.
http://www.ww2talk.c...ers/white1.html

If family apply for a service record, do you think just name and Signal Corps is sufficient info?

Apply direct to the MoD .
Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | Service Records | Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel and Home Guard records

#8 RosyRedd

RosyRedd

• Registered Users
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

...Do you know how comprehensive records on this site are?

I was really unimpressed with this bit of the Forces Reunited site. The information for the chap I was looking at came mainly from the CWGC and everything else was easily found on the net.

Welcome to the forum too btw :)

#9 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Danish,
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The website for the Faroe Islands appears to be defective, but provides WW2 information when up and running.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#10 danish

danish

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Website for Faroe Islands? I'm not sure what you are referring to,Tom? sounds interesting though!
I spoke to a very nice archivist at Signals Corp Museum this morning, but he can't help.I have found ref to a Faroe forces newspaper in IWM catalogue but don't think they have all editions. Nothing comes up in TNA search. Ill keep at it, and let you know if I discover any more. Meanwhile, any other ideas, welcomed.

#11 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Danish,

I once hit on a website origination on the Faroe islands, which had a lot of useful information.

Unfortunately it appears to have gone down.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users