• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oyster 49

oyster 49

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi, first post on this interesting forum.

I have restored several WW2 seagull outboards, and currently own 2 of them. Does anybody have any experience of these outboards in service, and in particular any photos showing them in use?

It is known that they were issued to Royal Engineers, for use on Folding Boats and small rafts, pontoons etc. However no photos have ever been found of a seagull motor actually in use during the war. Any document, photos or stories would help to fill a gap in what seagull enthusiasts understand.

It is thought they were used in Burma, and in Europe. They were delivered from 1942 to 1946, and transported in wooden crates.

Thanks.

#2 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Welcome oyster 49

Could you possibly post photos of the engines.

Seagull Outboard Motor information for identification, maintenance, spare parts

regards
Clive

#3 Trux

Trux

21 AG

• Registered Users
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Seagull outboard motors were certainly used in NW Europe. They were carried by both the divisional field parks and the RASC bridging companies.

There are photographs of them in use on plywood stormboats in both the Seine River Crossing and the Rhine Crossing. Otherwise it is difficult to see propulsion methods on rafts etc.

I dont have any photos but the IWM site probably has them available for downloading.

Mike

#4 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

• Registered Users
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sicily was full of them in the sixties and a lot are still operational as they are practically undistructible, though neither fuel efficient or "clean" by modern standards, we operated them with an 8% or higher oil mixture so they stank a lot but it certainly beat rowing.
I think I remember some wartime pictures but have to look them up.

#5 RemeDesertRat

RemeDesertRat

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Not WW2, and I don't know the make of outboard, but this is from "Craftsmen of the Army" Vol. 1 - A history of REME.
Have you looked at the Imperial War Museum website and looked through their image collection?

Attached File  outboard001.jpg   533.91K   29 downloads
Common sense is so rare these days it should be considered a superpower!

#6 Orwell1984

Orwell1984

• Registered Users
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Storm and Assault Boats - MLU FORUM
There's a lot of images and references in this thread.
Perhaps something may be of use to you.
Cheers
Mark
When in the light of the present we look back on the past our eyes are opened, and we see things that were invisible to contemporaries - Walter Alexander Raleigh, Official RAF Historian, 1922

#7 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

• Registered Users
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Most two cylinders outboards look similar without the outer case, they could be OMC products, those were sold under both the Johnson and Evinrude labels, looks big for the 360cc so possibly the 521cc. The OMC were a more sophysticated design than the Seagull and required more maintenace, though I did appreciate not having to look for the starting cord all over the boat.

This is not a seagull but .....
Posted Image

Edited by TiredOldSoldier, 01 July 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#8 oyster 49

oyster 49

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

This is what a 1942-46 army seagull looks like when restored. In service they may well have been painted green. One of my engines certainly had traces of army green in places. Most seem to be long shaft, and fitted with a clutch.

Another seagull enthusiast has done a huge amount of searching through archives etc. but I thought I would ask here as there are people here who actually used them in service. It would be interesting to hear any tales, good or bad about these engines.

Many thanks.

Attached Files

#9 oyster 49

oyster 49

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Still looking for that elusive photo of a wartime seagull in use. Any more stories as to where and how they were used?

#10 JohnS

JohnS

• Registered Users
  • 168 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Still looking for that elusive photo of a wartime seagull in use. Any more stories as to where and how they were used?

Sorry that this is a quick scan of a bad photocopy, but it shows the Seagull in use. It is from a Ministry of Supply Pamphlet called, `Outboard Motor Set "Seagull" Mark II.

Attached Files

John Sliz
`Studying Engineers In WWII'

www.ww2engineers.2urweb.net
www.stormboatkings.ca

#11 oyster 49

oyster 49

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Sorry for not replying earlier, I been been away on holiday and working overseas. The picture is very helpful!

I think that is actually the first one I have seen of an army seagull engine in use.

#12 JohnS

JohnS

• Registered Users
  • 168 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Check out: `Allied Attack Boats: A Study of the Assault and Storm Boats Used in River Crossings in Europe During World War II.' It has a section on the Seagull and other motors. It is an amazon.

John Sliz
`Studying Engineers In WWII'

www.ww2engineers.2urweb.net
www.stormboatkings.ca

#13 James S

James S

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

My grandfatehr used one of these for 30 years, he serviced his own , sorry but I cannot remember the details of what he did , going back 30 plus years.
A short shaft example never let him down.

#14 oyster 49

oyster 49

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info, I have ordered a copy of the book from amazon.

#15 sapper

sapper

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationSeaside town Dorset

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Made in Poole Dorset We never had the luxury of a motor it was paddles for us in our canvas assault boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users