• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 freakshow13

freakshow13

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

If you were to command a division, what kind of soldeirs would this division be omposed of?
Example: British paratroopers, US marines....

#2 Combover

Combover

Patronising Halfwit

• Registered Users
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSouth Lancashire

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

What an awful question.

What are the perameters? where would it be? when? what for?

The best divisions have good men that are led well - it's not just a case of picking one you like.
F.I.R.E 1944 Re-Enactment Group

Remebering PLY/X 1453 Marine H. Roberts, Missing Presumed Killed, 8th June 1940. :poppy:

#3 Poor Old Spike

Poor Old Spike

Discharged

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

If you were to command a division, what kind of soldeirs would this division be omposed of?
Example: British paratroopers, US marines....

Good question..:)
British paras hated Germans because their innocent families in Britain were being bombed, flying-bombed and V2-rocketted, so I'd nominate them as very tough cookies indeed!

#4 Clint_NZ

Clint_NZ

• Registered Users
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

It's a tough question, every nation had great divisions and some are used for different things, eg Marines for beach landings, paratroopers dropping behind the lines and seizing objectives, armoured divisions etc etc. I don't think any single division was the best.

However there are some match ups that never happened but would have been bloody hard fights eg US Marines vs the Waffen SS

#5 Wills

Wills

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

The soldier from the historic regiments, the Yeomanry, TA - be they county,Hussar,cavalry, sapper,gunner or from the supply branch. They won the war. The small glamorous outfits for all of the undoubted bravery helped - they often get the glory. The SAS used to say, we have never won a war, we are not equipped so to do. We will help to make sure the other guy does not win it. The 'best' have failed when luck has not been with them. The spectacular battles on the way to Germany are often highlighted - truth is it was the long slogging match fought by the armies advancing against the enemy and conditions - not glamorous enough for the film makers.

Edited by Wills, 03 March 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#6 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,533 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Oh, I'm not really picky, it ended alright. As Deng Xiao Ping said, it doesn't matter if the cat is white or black provided it catches the Maus.

;)

Edited by Za Rodinu, 03 March 2012 - 10:46 AM.

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#7 Poor Old Spike

Poor Old Spike

Discharged

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Although the Waffen-SS spring to mind as being tough, they were too fanatical and gung-ho at times which led to them taking heavier casualties than they should have done.
I forget who said that, I read it in a book years ago, possibly Guderian's 'Panzer Leader', Manstein's 'Lost Victories' or Mellenthin's 'Panzer Battles'.

#8 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Although the Waffen-SS spring to mind as being tough, they were too fanatical and gung-ho at times which led to them taking heavier casualties than they should have done.

That view's really outdated...

#9 Orwell1984

Orwell1984

• Registered Users
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

My vote goes to the bear cavalry.
When in the light of the present we look back on the past our eyes are opened, and we see things that were invisible to contemporaries - Walter Alexander Raleigh, Official RAF Historian, 1922

#10 Poor Old Spike

Poor Old Spike

Discharged

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Poor Old Spike quote-
"Although the Waffen-SS spring to mind as being tough, they were too fanatical and gung-ho at times which led to them taking heavier casualties than they should have done."

That view's really outdated...

Like I noted, Guderian, Manstein or Mellenthin said it, not me, so argue it out with them..:)

PS- Here's a May 1940 Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' (page 114) that shows the Waffen-SS weren't always invincible-

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Ed Seymour

Ed Seymour

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

The best outfit was the one your father/mother or grandfather/mother or relative served in

#12 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Women's Auxiliary balloon corps. hehe
"We did our training with the old Colt machine gun, which had a big brass tripod. They fired about two rounds every bloody hour!"

Jack Edwards.

#13 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

The best outfit was the one your father/mother or grandfather/mother or relative served in

That's true I bet people will automatically think that.
"We did our training with the old Colt machine gun, which had a big brass tripod. They fired about two rounds every bloody hour!"

Jack Edwards.

#14 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Poor Old Spike quote-
"Although the Waffen-SS spring to mind as being tough, they were too fanatical and gung-ho at times which led to them taking heavier casualties than they should have done."

Like I noted, Guderian, Manstein or Mellenthin said it, not me, so argue it out with them..:)

PS- Here's a May 1940 Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' (page 114) that shows the Waffen-SS weren't always invincible-

Posted Image

Argue with German generals, former colleagues and rivals of the Waffen-SS who made sure not to have their beloved Heer associated with an officially criminal organisation? Get real!
I'm a historian and I have actually done research on the Waffen-SS.

What's the point of your quote? Of course the 3rd SS were having a hard time in 1940, they had no fighting experience whatsoever - but that's nothing new, is it.
As for the Waffen-SS units being "invincible", well, that's just bollocks. Only after 1941 were they respected as a military force (the core divisions, that is), and even then they weren't really beyond awesome compared to Panzerdivisions of the Heer.
And that's just some units, not the whole bluddy Waffen-SS...

And as a more general remark, Spike: I suggest you skip books like "Lost Victories" when looking for historically accurate information.

#15 Poor Old Spike

Poor Old Spike

Discharged

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

..Get real! ...And as a more general remark, Spike: I suggest you skip books like "Lost Victories" when looking for historically accurate information.

Ah, but how do we know which books to skip?
Manstein was a good commander so why shouldn't we listen to him?

#16 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,247 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Lost Victories... I'd suggest anyone who hasn't read it to skip it, unless they like being really really really bored... and unconvinced.

Best fighting unit?
There's only one Union Jack Jackson:
Posted Image
Obviously, warlord himself was a pretty nails unit, but probably didn't do as much for allied relations as UJJ, what with being undercover and all.

Cake?

#17 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Lost Victories... I'd suggest anyone who hasn't read it to skip it, unless they like being really really really bored... and unconvinced.

Best fighting unit?
There's only one Union Jack Jackson:
Posted Image
Obviously, warlord himself was a pretty nails unit, but probably didn't do as much for allied relations as UJJ, what with being undercover and all.

Kampfgruppe Falken FTW hehe. The Good Germans!

Jack Edwards.

#18 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Does the warlord say summer or bummer?

The blue on the red hurts my eyes:(

Is a joke front cover?

Jack Edwards.

#19 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Opps just put my £250 "special" glasses on it says summer hehe still hard to make out.

Jack Edwards.

#20 Alan Allport

Alan Allport

• Registered Users
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

How about any unit with Major Eazy in it?

Best, Alan

#21 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

What about these guys? click the link in the you tube window to get it.
Or here Kelly's Heroes - Final Scene - YouTube

OqSiLL8U3vo

Jack Edwards.

#22 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

This kind of question always triggers the "mine is bigger than yours" sentiments so clearly the correct answer is:

Attached File  1635385-jcanuckx_large.jpg   25.88K   4 downloads
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

#23 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

This kind of question always triggers the "mine is bigger than yours" sentiments so clearly the correct answer is:

[ATTACH]75677[/ATTACH]

Killer Kane is better. That's just about war you can't even compete with John Stark match winner for higher:)

Yep you can never out nerd me hehe I am Sheldon!!

Jack Edwards.

#24 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

Attached File  beavercan.jpg   6.78K   7 downloads Oh yeah!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

#25 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

[ATTACH]75679[/ATTACH] Oh yeah!

Hehe i am joking but this is how an Englishmen man does comics.

v7Wm4qXC_j4

http://en.wikipedia..../Watchmen_(film)

Jack Edwards.

#26 Poor Old Spike

Poor Old Spike

Discharged

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

What about these guys? click the link in the you tube window to get it.
Or here Kelly's Heroes - Final Scene - YouTube

OqSiLL8U3vo

Ha ha yeah, motivation plays a massive part in what makes troops good, and a bank full of gold as an objective made Kelly's Heroes unbeatable..:)

Another example was the battle of Agincourt, the Brit troops were tired, ill, cold and knackered and were longing to get to the Channel and embark for home in time for Christmas, so no way hozay were they going to let the five-times-bigger French army stop them..

#27 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,533 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Manstein's Lost Victories? Wasn't it Guderian who said Manstein goes to see the Fuhrer full of his ideas, and comes out full of the Fuhrer's ideas :D

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#28 Rav4

Rav4

• Registered Users
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I'm not saying that The Devils Brigade were the best, but there was mention of them on a C.B.C. News report the other evening. I had never heard of the unite before.

https://en.wikipedia...Devil's_Brigade

#29 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I have to say it is the 1st Airborne Division. I have absolutely no bias in this matter:lol: Still true.

Jack Edwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users