• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

hi there not sure if this is the right place to post this but am desperate. I have what i think is an after action report for aug.1 1940 at the top left corner it says 1./jnf.-rgt. 36 betr.:erlebnisbericht.

top heading reads:wir sind durch! it has red stamps which read 9. divifion 10 aug. 1940 and another redstamp which reads:eingegangen 9 aug.1940 top right corner reads:im felde,den 1.8.1940
document is several pages long and signed at the end

my question is can anybody tell me what i have here and possibly a value of it any info would be greatly apreciated.

#2 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

This looks relevant.

Do any other dates stand out in the text ? It sounds like it could be an account of their campaign in France.

#3 stolpi

stolpi

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationArnhem

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

Edited by stolpi, 03 April 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#4 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

it could be an I but looks like a 1 . the first paragraph reads:
ich habe sie noch deutlich vor augen,diese tage des ungestumen vorsturmens gegen die keygandlinie dis letzte hoffnung der franzosen. Gestern haben wir ihren ersten starken punkt- Cagny bei amiens- genommen. Heute am 7. juni 1940 liegen wir nun auf der hohe 87 und warten auf den befehl der uns gegen den feind furht.

also have a funny police report of a frenchman being arested and fined by the german police for eating carrier pigions.

#5 stolpi

stolpi

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationArnhem

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Edited by stolpi, 11 June 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#6 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

x

Edited by Heimbrent, 09 December 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#7 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

srry no scanner but heres some pics

Attached Files

#8 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

it is 5 pages long if that helps

#9 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

That means Uffz. Jeske of the 1st Coy wrote that after action report.
It was received by the 9th Infantry Division, Ic (intelligence) on 10 August 1940.

Where did you get that from btw?

#10 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

thanks for the info someday im going to get someone to translate the whole thing. found this with a bunch of other stuff in my grandpas attic

#11 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hi many thanks for posting and its quite interesting.

There's a couple of people on this forum that can translate that for you. Hopefully someone will volunteer.

Cheers again for posting
Andy

Edit:

If you can get the docs scanned or copied to a reasonable quality Kate will transcibe it for you...Well volunteered Kate ;)

Edited by Drew5233, 19 January 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#12 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

hey there is there asnyone here that would be able to translate this for me? any info is greatly appreciated, i will post the rest if there is any interest. thanks

Attached Files

#13 MPILOT

MPILOT

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Hello

Very interesting, it took place in Morisel (near Moreuil, close to Amiens). It's the first time that I see a german account about the area. It's not really an after action report, It seems a part of a future regimental history with a propaganda aspect. About the location Marilly, read Mailly (Mailly-Raineval).

Sincerly

Edited by MPILOT, 19 January 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#14 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

x

Edited by Heimbrent, 09 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#15 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

x

Edited by Heimbrent, 09 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#16 MPILOT

MPILOT

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hello

Nice translation. I continue to say that there is some propaganda inside. have a look on this : "They’re the first Negroes that we come into contact with. We feel disgusted by them. It’s really hard to fight such animals. We should later have many [unpleasant] experiences with those subjects who are really rather animals than humans."
Many Tirailleurs sénégalais were murdered in may at Aubigny (close to Moreuil) and after near Lieuvillers-Angivillers-Erquinvillers. 500 to 600 colonial soldiers were executed after their capture. Why ? Because such a propaganda against "The grande nation" and animals.

Sincerly

#17 MPILOT

MPILOT

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hello

Is there a map or a sketch with this account ?

Sincerly

Edited by MPILOT, 20 January 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#18 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hello

Nice translation. I continue to say that there is some propaganda inside. have a look on this : "They’re the first Negroes that we come into contact with. We feel disgusted by them. It’s really hard to fight such animals. We should later have many [unpleasant] experiences with those subjects who are really rather animals than humans."
Many Tirailleurs sénégalais were murdered in may at Aubigny (close to Moreuil) and after near Lieuvillers-Angivillers-Erquinvillers. 500 to 600 colonial soldiers were executed after their capture. Why ? Because such a propaganda against "The grande nation" and animals.

Sincerly

Of course, it's dripping with NS bullshit.
Don't forget though that racism (and socialdarwinism in general) was too common not only in Germany, even if it the results Nazi Germany "achieved" with it are unmatched and unmatchable.

Still, the document wasn't specifically for propaganda purposes, it was more the other way round: Jeske was influenced by propaganda and most probably NS ideology hence his way of writing.

#19 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Once again Kate, your talents spring forth. Thanks for the translation. I have read one or two accounts of German Veterans and the style of writing is very consistent with this. "The Softened soldiers of the "Grande Nation" ". Its like reading about the "Red Hordes".

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#20 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

hi thanks for the awesome translation it was very interesting sorry about the quality of the pics my scanner isnt working right now so i had to use my phone here is the rest. Also i included some pics of the other document i found in the envelope with this. thanks again

Attached Files

#21 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

hi thanks for the awesome translation it was very interesting sorry about the quality of the pics my scanner isnt working right now so i had to use my phone here is the rest. Also i included some pics of the other document i found in the envelope with this. thanks again

Sorry mate, you'll have to do better than that. Transcribing and translating is a helluva lot of work, so I kindly beg you to put more effort in it, too.
Make some decent scans (or photographs) of the whole document, then I'll get the rest done when I have time.

#22 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great work Kate and I have to agree with you. Racisim aside British war diaries can be a bit pompus and flowery at time - all good stuff for morale, what what.

Once the whole file is transcribed I will try and add some more meat to it although it may not be a lot if there is no BEF involvement.

#23 BrianM59

BrianM59

• Registered Users
  • 475 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

The style seems consistent with German material from the war diary of the 6th Infantry Division in 1940 I have read and does come across as very 'gung-ho' - to recall the spirit of 'the boys of Langemarck' who reputedly walked arm in arm into allied fire seems straight from the teacher in All Quiet on the Western Front'. I have read many British unit war diaries from both wars , although nowhere near as many as Drew, but they range from the terse and sketchy to the positively jingoistic. Generally speaking from my experience, in WW1 diaries you read no mention of soldiers, they are referred to as 'OR's' or 'NCO's" but no names, whereas in WW2, you do at least get names of individuals, but I haven't come across anything as self-consciously literary as the German examples - perhaps the 1000 year Reich was still very fresh in their minds and it would be interesting to compare with some later examples from 1945?

I also think Heimbrent/Kate has a point - people on this forum are amazingly kind and generous, but they can't work miracles - I have paid translators and it ain't cheap, so buy a scanner, it's the least you can do -even the cheapest printers have scanners now and I'm talking £25 which is less than you'd pay a translation service for an hour's work.

#24 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Or even copy it the old fashioned way on a photocopier & post it to someone on the forum who can translate it?
Takes time but it's worked for me in the past, back in the old days, pre-internet.
(do I sound really old?)

#25 BrianM59

BrianM59

• Registered Users
  • 475 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Or even copy it the old fashioned way on a photocopier & post it to someone on the forum who can translate it?
Takes time but it's worked for me in the past, back in the old days, pre-internet.
(do I sound really old?)

Blimey no, I moan at students who complain they don't get e-mails back as they're used to instant Facebooking. I remember telephone calls - still better than an e-mail any day - and I used to write hundreds and hundreds of letters - Christmas was always new fountain pen time...

#26 chick42-46

chick42-46

• Registered Users
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Is the second document some sort of criminal record?

Using Google translate, I wonder if someone got a 10 reichsmark fine (RM 10 ... geldstrafe) for something they did to a pigeon/carrier pigeon (vergeliens gegen die brieftauben)?

#27 krazykaiser

krazykaiser

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

yes the second document appears to have been taken from a police booking log theres writing in pencil on the back which says the fine was paid in full
still working on getting a scanner i looked all over town to find a photo copier but no luck as of yet. thanks for all the interest and again please accept my apologies for the crappy pictures. Also found with these documents were a large government building flag, a triangular pennant about 6 feet in length, an iron cross second class and a bunch of photos and pins

#28 BrianM59

BrianM59

• Registered Users
  • 475 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Is the second document some sort of criminal record?

Using Google translate, I wonder if someone got a 10 reichsmark fine (RM 10 ... geldstrafe) for something they did to a pigeon/carrier pigeon (vergeliens gegen die brieftauben)?

It's Captain Blackadder and the plump delicious pigeon, Speckled Jim.

#29 PeterG

PeterG

• Registered Users
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Here's a translation of the text (probably not so accurate but not so quick either *gasp*)

Just seen this. My goodness, quite a lot of work! Very interesting, and very well done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bella suscipienda sunt ob eam causam, ut sine injuriâ in pace vivatur. - Cicero
(Wars are to be undertaken in order that we may live in peace without suffering wrong)

My British Formations Badges page: http://www.petergh.f...om/flashes.html
Long after I am gone it will be found in the Internet Archive here:
http://web.archive.o...om/flashes.html

My WW2 ribbons page: http://www.petergh.f2s.com/medals.htm
Permanent Web Archive:
http://web.archive.o....com/medals.htm

... and weapons from another era: http://www.petergh.f...rchaeology.html

#30 Andreas

Andreas

Working on two books

• Registered Users
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ratsch-Bumm roughly translates as 'screech-bang', and refers in this context to any light field gun that got used in direct fire mode and where the impact crash followed the bang of the round being fired almost immediately (in this case Frech 75mle97, but also Soviet 76.2mm or even the 25-pdr).

All the best

Andreas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users