• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skimmod

skimmod

• Registered Users
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Good Morning all,
I spent a fantastic day at the HHQ of the RSF in Glasgow and came away with some rather interesting photo's that I wanted to share.
Firstly, the battalion in early 1939 after it had recieved all it's MT (and damn there was a lot of it!!)

Next are a series of rather blurred images of the battalion being mobilsed and taken an hour or so before they started their journey to france.

Might be of interest to someone else, but certainly rather pleasing for me!

Attached Files

In memory of the grandfather I never got to know and the battalion that sacrificed itself twice in two world wars near Ypres.
:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy:
2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

#2 Earthican

Earthican

• Registered Users
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Pardon my ignorance, but are those buildings in the background the enlisted barracks? Or maybe administration buildings or headquarters?

If so, they look like a palace, but I imagine they are quite spare on the inside.

#3 skimmod

skimmod

• Registered Users
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

My pleasure! Yes the Barracks in the background are Redford barracks just outside Edinburgh. In there was the regimental offices, Officers and Sargeants messes and also the offices of the 2nd Battalion, Depot and recruiting wings. The accomodation was in barrack blocks to the left and right.
Amazing place and still standing :)

In memory of the grandfather I never got to know and the battalion that sacrificed itself twice in two world wars near Ypres.

#4 skimmod

skimmod

• Registered Users
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

a couple of close ups of the early 1939 training with the new MT kit!

interesting to see the carriers are armed with Vickers rather than Bren!

Attached Files

#5 skimmod

skimmod

• Registered Users
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Can anyone identify the towed A/T gun?

#6 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thank you for posting very interesting

#7 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the post, love the photo showing all the vehicles in regimental order, as for the gun it could be the 2pdr anti tank gun that was prevelant at that time

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#8 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,403 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Cheers Iain. I believe I have a Squadron pic of me stood infront of the main building in the rear of the picture. If I'm not mistaken the ground floor were cavalry stables in the pre 1900's.

I also got promoted on that parade square in front of my regiment :)

Edited by Drew5233, 18 January 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#9 skimmod

skimmod

• Registered Users
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

My pleasure chaps!
Small world Andy, it's an impressive building to be parading in front of!

#10 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,403 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'll see if I can dig it out for a detailed shot of the front of the building. I slept in the main building-It was more of a training/transit barracks accomodation when I was there and my main recollection from the place was a drunk Matelow from HMS Sheffield stripping off and trying to get in my pit with me and the Army v Navy fight that nearly followed :lol:

Anyway I digress ;)

Just did a bit of googling and not sure now its the same place-This is the Redfearn Barracks I remember and its still the same today:

Posted Image

I wonder if your pictures were taken from the rear of the above building looking towards the buildings behind it? I do remember it was a big place. In the pic above the steps and post on the right is the edge of the guardroom.

Edited by Drew5233, 18 January 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#11 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

a couple of close ups of the early 1939 training with the new MT kit!

interesting to see the carriers are armed with Vickers rather than Bren!

I won't embarrass myself with the softskins, but the 'carriers' are a Light Dragon MkIII towing a 2-Pdr anti-tank gun and a Carrier, Machine Gun No.1, Mk.1.

The Dragon is one of about 71 - Profile's Making Tracks implies there were two prototypes and only 69 production vehicles. Making Tracks has a similar view of D1802 (Reg. CMM 844) that shows a different rear layout with the ribbed side panel being the full length of the rear compartment - similar to the production version shown in Moving the Guns. D1803 could be one of the prototypes?

These pictures must date between c1935-April 1937. In this period 2 RSF became an MG Bn. There's no mention of the 2-pdrs in the RSF history but I've read somewhere that the MG Bns were intended to have them at one point.
nb. Carrier, Machine Gun No.1, Mk.1 came into service during 1936.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users