1 reply to this topic

#1 katski01

katski01

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hi,
I'm new to this and trying to piece together information on my grandfather's time during ww2, but really need some help!
He never told anyone much of his experiences before coming to England and unfortunately, we've nobody to ask now.
He was born 1927, Wasyl Stefaniuk, in Nadwirna, nationality - Polish (though always maintained he was Ukrainian)
He told us that he became a pow when German soldiers came to his village and he was given no choice but to join.
From there...we have nothing to go by. He told us he ended up in Italy at some point - this is also on his photograph, which reads "italy p.o.w 1946" I've read into the Ukrainians coming to the UK from Rimini, Bellaria...and wondered if this could be likely? Mentioned on other photos are Bodenbach and Rosendorf...
He finally ended up at the heath, wellingore camp, near Lincoln, where he settled. Does anyone have any knowledge on the men that came to be at this camp? And, if my photograph shows, does anybody know the uniform he is wearing, supposedly in Italy (he is the one on the far right)
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we've had an enquiry to geneva - with no record found of a stefaniuk...and are awaiting a second one to come back. Surely there must be a record of him somewhere?

Attached Files

#2 Rav4

Rav4

• Registered Users
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

The soldier on the right has a very similar uniform to my wifes brother who was also conscripted into the German army in 1943. They fled Ukraine as the Russians advanced after Stalingrad. Have not been able to trace what happened to him.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users