dbf

Captionless

• Registered Users
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

CWGC :: Cemetery Details

Cemetery: TILLY-SUR-SEULLES WAR CEMETERY
Locality: Calvados
Location Information: From Bayeux, take the D6 southeastwards for about 12 kilometres to Tilly-sur-Seulles. In the centre of the town, turn right (westwards) onto the D13. The cemetery will be found after about 1 kilometre on the left hand side.
Historical Information: The Allied offensive in north-western Europe began with the Normandy landings of 6 June 1944. There was heavy and fluctuating fighting in the vicinity of Tilly-sur-Seulles immediately after the landings involving chiefly the 49th and 50th Divisions. Tilly itself was not captured until 18 June and fighting continued nearby until mid July. The cemetery contains 990 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War and 232 German graves.
No. of Identified Casualties: 1142

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69492&stc=1&d=1323034383

Attachment: aerial from 9 Aug 1947 and google map

Attached Files

#2 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Registered Users
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Spreadsheet for Tilly-sur-Seulles, France

Attached Files

#3 ramacal

ramacal

336/102 LAA Regiment (7 Lincolns), RA

• Registered Users
  • 10,093 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Tilly-sur-Seulles War Cemetery - June 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TAC14-VEHICLEMARKINGS_zpsfecb8ddc.jpg

#4 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Tilly-sur-Seulles June 2011.

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

#5 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

Two exhibits outside the nearby 'Musee de la bataille de Tilly'.

Attached Files

#6 suebeer

suebeer

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

The cemetary is in a very quiet village and it is beautifully laid out. We had a very poignant moment there. I do not know, however, the manner in which my great uncle died on 18th August 1944, even following my visit there, so please do not necessarily expect to get your questions answered.

#7 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,669 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

The cemetary is in a very quiet village and it is beautifully laid out. We had a very poignant moment there. I do not know, however, the manner in which my great uncle died on 18th August 1944, even following my visit there, so please do not necessarily expect to get your questions answered.

As mentioned in answer to your other post he died of wounds received in the fighting at the River Noireau, I imagine he was evacuated to a Field Hospital near to the cemetery & died there.
That would explain why he is buried so far away from where he was wounded & in an area where the fighting finished in July.
Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users