• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Does anyone know when the 62nd Battery joined the 2/12th Field Regiment?

#2 dryan67

dryan67

• Registered Users
  • 902 posts
  • LocationAnsonia, Connecticut

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

The Australian field regiments in the Middle East went from two batteries to three around September 1941 with some small variation.

#3 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thank you.

You wouldn't happen to know when in 1942 the 2/3 Australian Anti tank Regiment returned to North Africa after it was withdrawn in late September of 1941 do you?

#4 dryan67

dryan67

• Registered Users
  • 902 posts
  • LocationAnsonia, Connecticut

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Here is a summary for the 2/3rd Anti-Tank Regiment, RAA:

The regiment sailed with 24th Australian Infantry Brigade to the Middle East and arrived at Suez at the end of January. It formed part of 9th Australian Infantry Division on arrival and moved to the desert in February 1941 to the Benghazi area. On 3/4 April the 10th and 11th Batteries were at the front under command of 3rd Indian Motor Brigade at Mechili. 9th and 12th Batteries were respectively at Tobruk and Mersa Matruh. The regiment, less 12th Battery, served under the division in Tobruk during the siege. It reformed in Tobruk by absorbing the 20th and 24th Infantry Brigade Anti-Tank Companies. 12th Battery had left Palestine on 5 April 1941 and arrived under 22nd Guards Infantry Brigade at Sollum. It remained outside of Tobruk and fought on the frontier from April to August 1941. It then withdrew to Mersa Matruh. The regiment left Tobruk in September 1941 and the complete regiment came under command of the division in Palestine. It moved with the division to Syria in November 1941. It returned to Egypt in June 1942 for the defence of the Alamein Line. The regiment left the line at the end of November 1942 and embarked for Australia in January 1943.

#5 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Superb answer, thank you.

#6 Nasho23

Nasho23

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hello,
This post is to inform you that my Project of the last two years, to create the Membership Database and Web Site for the Rats of Tobruk Association Victoria, Australia, is now complete (apart from future updates) with the launch of the Web Site on Thursday 23rd Feb. The Link to this Site is:

http://ratsoftobrukvictoria.org.au

The Tobruk Members List on this Site served during the Siege of Tobruk, April 10th to December 1941, against the might of the German Afrika Corps.
Please pass this on to like organisations and we would like Back Links to our Site.
Enjoy

#7 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for that useful resource

#8 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

23rd Bty of 2/12 Field Regiment R.A.A.  When and where did it arrive in North Africa (January 1941?)

Also, was it equipped with 60Pdrs & 18Pdrs at that time?

Thanks,  David.

#9 TTH

TTH

• Registered Users
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

David W:

I have some of the 2/12 regtl history here somewhere, can dig it out if you want.

Off the top of my head, I think 2/12th Field had 18 Pdrs in Palestine. The regt was originally a medium unit but I believe it converted to a field regt in Australia before going to the ME. The unit got 60 Pdrs in Tobruk because they had prior experience with the piece in Australia and also because there was no medium component to 9th Div arty in Tobruk prior to the 2/12th's arrival. I can't recall which bty had the 60 Pdrs; the other had a mixture of Italian pieces (100mm and 150mm hows, I believe.)

Edited by TTH, 13 May 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#10 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Hello,
This post is to inform you that my Project of the last two years, to create the Membership Database and Web Site for the Rats of Tobruk Association Victoria, Australia, is now complete (apart from future updates) with the launch of the Web Site on Thursday 23rd Feb. The Link to this Site is:

http://ratsoftobrukvictoria.org.au

The Tobruk Members List on this Site served during the Siege of Tobruk, April 10th to December 1941, against the might of the German Afrika Corps.
Please pass this on to like organisations and we would like Back Links to our Site.
Enjoy

Thanks for the link Nasho.

I was the one that placed the order of battle,

My dad was 6th Div however many of his mates were 9th Div blokes.  Dad and Mum spent many years at the dances at RoTA.  Sadly dad and his mates all passed away in the 70's/80's.

I will keep pushing Leslie Morshead as being "the most underated" General in the Middle East.

I read recently on a forum while resesarching 9th Div, one chap argueing that 9th Div were "not needed and not wanted" at The El Alamein battle.  Luckily we now have free speech.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#11 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

David W:

I have some of the 2/12 regtl history here somewhere, can dig it out if you want.

Off the top of my head, I think 2/12th Field had 18 Pdrs in Palestine. The regt was originally a medium unit but I believe it converted to a field regt in Australia before going to the ME. The unit got 60 Pdrs in Tobruk because they had prior experience with the piece in Australia and also because there was no medium component to 9th Div arty in Tobruk prior to the 2/12th's arrival. I can't recall which bty had the 60 Pdrs; the other had a mixture of Italian pieces (100mm and 150mm hows, I believe.)

If it's not too much bother, I would appreciate it, thanks

David.

Edited by DavidW, 13 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#12 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

TTH.

Did you have any luck looking for more info on the 2nd/12th?

Thanks, David.

#13 fairlie63

fairlie63

16FdBty

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

David,

2/12 Aust Fd Regt was raised as 2/2 Aust Medium Regiment on a cadre of volunteers ex-2 Medium Bde RAA(M) and Heavy Artillery at Puckapunyal, Victoria, on 6 May 1940, with 3 and 4 Med Btys, and issued with some 60pr guns for training. It was reorganized and redesignated 2/12 Aust Fd Regt with 23 and 24 Fd Btys on 21 Oct 40. It disembarked without equipment in the Middle East on 17 Dec 40. Z Bty was formed with E and F Tps on 14 Mar 41, this bty was redesignated 62 Fd Bty about 9 Sep 41.

The regt moved to Tobruk without equipment during May 1941 and in that fortress was equipped as follows:

A Tp - detached to F Tp, 203 Bty, 51 Fd Regt RA, with 25pr guns, then later with a mixture of of Italian 149mm and 100mm howitzers, and 105mm guns

B Tp - 4.5" howitzers

C Tp - 4.5" howitzers

D Tp - 60pr guns

E Tp - Italian 75mm guns

F Tp - Italian 100mm howitzers

The regimental history is titled Gunfire, by Max Parsons, ISBN 0 646 05189 X, published in 1991 but I think still reasonably easy to obtain. That will provide you with any information you require and more on this regt.

It would definitely pay you to go to the Australian War Memorial website, see Search Our Collections..Records..War Diaries..Second World War.. Formation Headquarters..then select Division, Corps, etc, from there. This is an easy site to navigate and even though regimental and unit diaries, other than infantry, are not digitized the formation HQ war diaries will answer most of the questions you have been asking. 

Cheers

#14 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

fairlie63.

Thank you very much for that.

I had heard rumours of 18Pdrs within 23rd Bty at that time, but see that you show none.

I have the Australian War Memorial site saved to favourites. It is very good, but contrary too what you find, I experience difficulty in navigating it. Sometimes finding the section I want, sometimes not.

I was not able to find anything on 2/12, hence my query here.

Best wishes, David.

#15 fairlie63

fairlie63

16FdBty

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Apparently 51 Fd Regt RA in Tobruk did have some 18prs and 4.5's ex- 2/2 Aust Fd Regt, swapped for their 25prs that the 2/2 took to Greece.

HQ 9 Aust Div war diary records two 18pr and four 4.5" howitzers being issued to each of 2/7, 2/8 and 2/12 Aust Fd Regts on 11 Feb 41. The comment in the regt'l history of the latter was "..old guns that seemed to have been borrowed from museums.." without referring to their type.

The 2/12 Aust Fd Regt history records twelve 4.5" howitzers joining them at Ikingi Maryut about 20 April 1941. They must have left these equipments behind on the sea move to Tobruk because the ten 4.5's they picked up in Tobruk were also ex- 51 Fd Regt RA.

I believe we sent 18prs and 4.5" howitzers to ME with 2/1 Aust Fd Regt, not certain whether 2/2 Aust Fd Regt took guns with it or even whether the 18prs were Mk 2 or Mk 4. 

#16 TTH

TTH

• Registered Users
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

TTH.

Did you have any luck looking for more info on the 2nd/12th?

Thanks, David.

I am very sorry, David, I have been off this forum lately and missed the message. Will look tonight.

#17 DavidW

DavidW

• Registered Users
  • 907 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks to you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users