• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hondo10

hondo10

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:39 AM

Who has some historical knowledge about if and how many POW's the allies took as they secured the Normandy beachhead on D-day? Were they just simply too overcome by the slaughter of their fellow soldiers on the beach, to take any POW's? Or was there an opportunity and a willingness to take German prisoners as the beachhead was secured and day's fighting came to a close?

#2 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

hondo10

Welcome aboard !

Havn't explored the forum for other threads that dealt with this subject, you might try this yourself by doing a search on "POW on D-Day", but for starters you might be interested in the statistics given by the following link:

Invasion Of Normandy/ D-Day :: European Europe History

Invasion Of Normandy/ D-Day

On June 6, 1944 the largest amphibious assault in history took place. On the morning of the Invasion of Normandy, beaches in the area of Cotentin, France, were bombarded with over 5,000 tons of bombs, destroying anti-invasion equipment and de-mining many areas. The official British history says: "Never has any coast suffered what a tortured strip of French coast suffered that morning." Following the bombardment over 100,000 soldiers swam ashore (Normandy), and 11,700 paratroopers were dropped (D-Day) to secure Normandy Beach.
The casualties for the invasion were extensive. Five thousand, four hundred and thirty-six paratroopers were either killed or wounded (D-Day). Fifty-seven thousand prisoners were taken and only 4,000 French and 2,700 American lives were lost.

Ron

ps
if you are like me you did a double-take on reading "only 4,000 French and 2,700 American lives were lost" but I did check it out and that's what was written !

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#3 Trux

Trux

21 AG

• Registered Users
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

After action reports and War Diaries record plenty of examples of prisoners being taken even after the fiercest fighting.

The Administrative History of 21 Army Group records that plans were made to accommodate 500 prisoners a day for the first ten days. In fact only 12,153 prisoners were taken up to 26 July. This does not include US figures.

It is reported that large numbers of prisoners were not German but other nationalities with Russians and Poles predominating. Prisoners were generally amenable, did not attempt to escape, helped build their own cages and worked at unloading stores and other tasks in the rear areas.

#4 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,630 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Ron whats the source of that info?

only 4,000 French and 2,700 American lives were lost.

I think they forgot about the British and Canadian effort. Not sure I agree with the use of the word 'Only' either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users