115 replies to this topic

#1 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

There were 146 Australians in the RAAF/RAF buried in 48 Cemeteries throughout Scotland.

The first (an Australian connection only - His mother was a Sydney socialite) was on the 8th of September 1939 and the last on 16th May 1945.

The Mercury (Hobart, Tas) – 12SEP1939

KILLED IN ACTION - Son of Former Sydney Society Girl

SYDNEY, September 11.

Advice was received In Sydney today that Pilot-Officer the Hon. Peter Loughborough, of the Royal Air Force, son of Lady Millbank (formerly Miss Sheila Chisholm, of Sydney), was killed in action on Friday night.

1.Hon Frances Edward Scudamore St Clair-Erskine, styled Lord Loughborough (b. 16 Nov 1892; dvp. 4 Aug 1929), mar. 27 Dec 1915 (div. 1926) Margaret Sheila Mackellar Chisholm (mar. (2) 14 Nov 1928 Sir John Charles Peniston Milbanke, 11th Bt., of Halnaby, co. York; d. 13 Oct 1969), dau. of Harry Chisholm, of Sydney, New South Wales, and had issue:
1a.Hon Anthony Hugh Francis Harry St Clair-Erskine, later 6th Earl of Rosslyn
2a.P/O Hon Peter George Alexander St Clair-Erskine RAF (b. 30 Oct 1918; d. 8 Sep 1939)

Killed on Active Service with 111sq in Hurricane L1631.

http://www.ww2talk.c...html#post307524

In Memory of
Pilot Officer The Hon. PETER GEORGE ALEX. ST. CLAIR-ERSKINE

111 Sqdn., Royal Air Force

who died
on 08 September 1939

Son of Anthony Hugh Francis Harry St. Clair-Erskine, 6th Earl of Rosslyn, and of the Countess Rosslyn (nee Chisholm), of St. John's Wood, London.
Remembered with honour
ROSSLYN (ST. MATTHEW) CHAPELYARD

Thanks to Gerry Farrell for the photos.

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 22 September 2011 - 07:35 AM.

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#2 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

First Australian killed on active service in Europe.

:poppy::poppy:

Hawker Audax
K7479
13 Fighter Training School

P/O 41821 Frederick Alan Bishop 23 (pilot) killed. (Of Australia)

P/O 41827 Keith Bartram Chiazzari 19 (pilot) killed. (Of South Africa)

Pilot Officer Bishop was born in Melbourne, Victoria.

(Acting) PO Bishop, RAF (14/09/39) was killed when Hawker Audax K7479,
of No 1 Course, 13 Flying Training School crashed and was destroyed by fire, in the grounds of Whittinghame Farm school, a few miles E of Drem. APO Bishop was the passenger, the pilot also being killed.
(Another crash detail - "Flew into hill near East Linton, East Lothian")

In the grounds of Dirleton.

Dirleton Cemetery contained the CWGC plot for RAF Drem, which before and immediately after the outbreak of WW2 was a training station. It then became the main Scottish fighter airfield, defending the naval bases on the River Forth from German air attacks from Norway.

Attached File  Dirleton Cemetery.JPG   1.78MB   1 downloads

In Memory of
Pilot Officer FREDERICK ALAN BISHOP

41821, Royal Air Force
who died age 23
on 14 September 1939
Son of Albert and Susannah Mary Bishop, of Oakleigh, Victoria, Australia.
Remembered with honour
DIRLETON CEMETERY

In Memory of
Pilot Officer KEITH BARTRAM CHIAZZARI

41827, Royal Air Force
who died age 19
on 14 September 1939
Son of Henry William and Elsie Honoria Chiazzari, of Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa.
Remembered with honour
DIRLETON CEMETERY

Attached Files

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#3 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy:

William Edward Lockley
Service number: 41436
Unit: No 233 Squadron
Service: Royal Air Force
Conflict: 1939-1945
Date of death: 10 October 1939
Cause of death: Accidental (Aircraft accident)

Notes: Born 11/01/1918, Collaroy, NSW. Previous service: 2nd Anti-aircraft battery (militia).
Commemorative Roll - William Edward Lockley | Australian War Memorial

Pilot Officer William Edward Lockley was born on 11/01/1918 at Collaroy, NSW.
He was stationed with 233 squadron at RAF Leuchars.

The crew of (4) were all killed on October 10th 1939, when their Hudson 1, flew into a hillside in atrocious weather, when returning from a recon mission along the Norwegian Coast.

Crew:

Flying Officer Charles Hampton (Charlie) Clark 39272 RAF 27 (New Zealand)
Pilot Officer William Edward Lockley 41436 RAF 21 (Australia)
AC1 Basil Norman Blades 550711 RAF 19 (UK)
AC2 W McK Cochrane 620399 RAF (UK)

233 Sqn
Hudson I
N7227

Coded ZS-Y

Reason for loss.

Op: Patrol, RAF Leuchars, Took off 14:20 hrs

The Hudson was flying very low as the visibility was poor with a low cloud base and it struck high ground at 19:40hrs, 1.5 miles south of Freuchie, Fife, when returning from patrol. Fire broke out immediately and the wreckage was distributed over a large area. The crew of four were killed instantly.

From RAF Coastal Command Losses, Vol 1 1939-41

In Memory of
Flying Officer CHARLES HAMPTON (CHARLIE) CLARK

39272, 233 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 27
on 10 October 1939
Son of John and Nora Clark, of Wellington City, New Zealand.
Remembered with honour
LEUCHARS CEMETERY

In Memory of
Pilot Officer WILLIAM EDWARD LOCKLEY

41436, 233 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died
on 10 October 1939
(of Australia)
Remembered with honour
LEUCHARS CEMETERY

In Memory of
Aircraftman 1st Class BASIL NORMAN BLADES

550711, 233 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 19
on 10 October 1939
Son of Norman and Jane Blades, of Thornaby-on-Tees.
Remembered with honour
WATH (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Aircraftman 2nd Class W. McK. COCHRANE

620399, 233 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died
on 10 October 1939

Remembered with honour
NEW MONKLAND CEMETERY

Attached Files

Spidge,

#4 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

:poppy::poppy::poppy:

RAAF: Dyce

FO Nivison-Smith was the pilot of Whitley V P5064, of 502 squadron, which crashed on takeoff, about 2 miles E of at RAF Kinloss. FO Nivison-Smith and the other two crew members (who were also killed) were from 612 Sq, based at RAF Dyce, the pilot being the squadron commander. 502sq had recently converted from Ansons to Whitleys and 612 was in the process of converting, which is why they were in a 502 sq aircraft.

41454 Flying Officer Albert Robert Nivison-Smith (also spelt Nevison-Smith), the son of Robert Henry and Amy Ernestine Nivison-Smith of Narrabri, NSW. Nivison-Smith travelled to England in 1938 and trained in the Royal Air Force at No. 8 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Reading and No. 11 Flying Training School at Shrewsbury. During the Second World War he served with 612 Squadron RAF, stationed at RAF Dyce in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

At the beginning of the war the squadron flew Avro Ansons on coastal patrols. In November 1940, they began converting to Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys and it may have been while training in a Whitley that Nivison-Smith was killed in a flying accident on 5 November 1940. Nivison-Smith is buried at Dyce Old Churchyard, a cemetery located near RAF Dyce. He was 22 years old when he died.

The undermentioned Pilot Officers are promoted to the rank of Flying Officer on the dates stated:—3rd September 1940
41454 Flying Officer Albert Robert Nivison-Smith

In Memory of
Squadron Leader ALAN MILNE SCOTT

A F C

90369, 612 Sqdn., Royal Air Force (Auxiliary Air Force)
who died age 26
on 05 November 1940
Son of James and Nellie Maitland Scott, of Inchgarth, Pitfodels. B.A. (Cantab.).
Remembered with honour
ABERDEEN (SPRINGBANK) CEMETERY

In Memory of
Flying Officer ALBERT ROBERT NIVISON-SMITH

41454, 612 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 22
on 05 November 1940
Son of Robert Henry and Amy Ernestine Nivison-Smith, of Narrabri, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant STANLEY NICHOLLS

973969, 502 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 21
on 05 November 1940
Son of Robert and Annie Nicholls, of Wigan.
Remembered with honour
PRESTON (NEW HALL LANE) CEMETERY

[FONT="]
[/FONT]

Edited by spidge, 22 September 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Spidge,

#5 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Confirmed.

These were the three men on the Whitley.

Ross

#6 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Confirmed.

These were the three men on the Whitley.

Ross

Thanks Ross - I did a process of elimination through Geoff's search engine but needed to confirm.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#7 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

:poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy:

[QUOTE]

From RAF Coastal Command Losses Vol 1
[QUOTE]

210 Sqn
Sunderland I
N9022

DA-B

Op: Convoy Patrol, RAF Oban, Time Up 11:56 hrs

F/L I H Meggitt (of Australia)
F/O D A Stewart (Injured)
Sgt C C I Roberts
Sgt A K Perkins
Sgt N E Thomson RNZAF
Sgt D Ogston
Sgt L E Crawshaw
LAC T A Kennedy
AC1 J S Audsley
S/Lt B F Leadbitter RN

Crashed in a night landing, at 21:17 hrs, off Maiden Island, Oban Bay. The Sunderland landed safely but hit an underwater object which ripped open the hull and flipped the aircraft onto its back. The underwater object was thought to be a horse box from the SS Breda, sunk in Ardmucknish Bay on 23/12/40. F/L Meggitt, an Australian from Austinmer, rests locally in Pennyfuir Cemetery, Oban. The remaining crewmen including Sgt Thomson, a New Zealander from Ashburton, are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. S/Lt Leadbitter, attached to HMS Victory, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.[/QUOTE]

In Memory of
Flight Lieutenant IVOR HENRY MEGGITT

40633, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 24
on 27 December 1940
Son of John Pogson Meggitt and Elizabeth May Meggitt, of Austinmer, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
OBAN (PENNYFUIR) CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant CLIFFORD CHARLES IVOR ROBERTS

968757, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died
on 27 December 1940

Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Sergeant ALFRED KORTRIGHT PERKINS

649616, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died
on 27 December 1940

Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Sergeant NOEL EDGAR THOMSON

40926, 210 Sqdn., Royal New Zealand Air Force
who died age 24
on 27 December 1940
Son of Arthur Dudley Thomson and Gladys Annie Thomson, of New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand.
Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Sergeant DOUGLAS OGSTON

817057, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 24
on 27 December 1940
Son of William Ogston, and of Janet Geddes Ogston, of Aberdeen.
Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Sergeant LAWRENCE EDWARD CRAWSHAW

751624, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 21
on 27 December 1940
Son of Joseph and Kathleen Crawshaw, of Tilehurst, Berkshire.
Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Leading Aircraftman THOMAS ALBERT KENNEDY

521902, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 26
on 27 December 1940
Son of Thomas and Dorothy Kennedy; husband of Ivy Joyce Kennedy, of Pennar, Pembrokeshire.
Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Aircraftman 1st Class JOHN SWINBURNE AUDSLEY

646551, 210 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died age 19
on 27 December 1940
Son of Frank Swinburne Audsley and Beatrice Maud Audsley, of Ely, Glamorgan.
Remembered with honour
RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
Sub-Lieutenant BRYAN FERGUSON LEADBITTER

H.M.S. Victory., Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
who died age 21
on 27 December 1940
Son of the Revd. Canon Walter Ferguson Leadbitter, B.A., and Evelyn Jessie Leadbitter, of Dibden, Hampshire. B.Sc. (Lond.).
Remembered with honour
PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Spidge,

#8 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

:poppy:

(741895) (RAF) Sgt Andrew Harold Sargent Evans of 3 © OTU was on a solo flight in Beaufort L9829 when on take off the aircraft was seen to climb too steeply, turned through 180 degrees then flew into a hill 1 mile north of Chivenor and caught fire at 20:40 hrs. Sgt Evans was critically injured and died the next day.

Born South Australia 1917, Andrew Harold Sargent Evans, of 153 Crawley Green Road, Luton Bedfordshire died 19th February 1941 at North Devon Infirmary, Chivenor, Barnstable, Devonshire. He was 24.

Attached File  Cockburnspath Parish Churchyard2 [1280x768].JPG   178.11K   1 downloads.JPG] In Memory of
Sergeant ANDREW HAROLD SARGENT EVANS

741895, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 24
on 19 February 1941
Son of Harold Easton Evans and Mary Helen Evans, of Adelaide, South Australia.
Remembered with honour
COCKBURNSPATH PARISH CHURCHYARD

Attached Files

Spidge,

#9 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

Any further information on the aircraft details and any other crew would be appreciated.

RAAF FATALITIES IN SECOND WORLD WAR AMONG
RAAF PERSONNEL SERVING ON ATTACHMENT
IN ROYAL AIR FORCE SQUADRONS AND SUPPORT UNITS

400158 Pilot Officer SLOAN, Percival Martin

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A9300 Barcode 5252421 Commonwealth War Graves records
Aircraft Type:Spitfire
Serial number:X4421
Radio call sign:
Unit: 57 Operational Trg RAF

Summary:

On the 27th March 1941, PO Sloan, a Pilot, was killed in an aircraft accident. He is buried in the Hawarden (St Deiniol) Churchyard, UK.

Attached File  Hawarden (St Deiniol) Churchyard.JPG   863.95K   0 downloads
In Memory of
Pilot Officer PERCIVAL MARTIN SLOAN

400158, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 23
on 27 March 1941
Son of Thomas Andrew and Jane Maltilda Sloan, of Essendon, Victoria, Australia.
Remembered with honour
HAWARDEN (ST. DEINIOL) CHURCHYARD

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 23 September 2011 - 11:37 AM.

Spidge,

#10 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

Quite a bit of discussion here
AUS400158 Percival Martin SLOAN RAAF

Flintshire is not in Scotland though.

Ross

#11 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Crash details from : LB-30A Liberator AM261

:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy:

The aircraft had taken off from Heathfield (Ayr) to fly to Gander in eastern Canada with ferry crews on-board with the intention of those crews ferrying new aircraft back across the Atlantic. Shortly after take off the aircraft entered cloud and flew into Mullach Buidhe near the head of Coire Lan. The flight crews on-board were from Royal Air Force Ferry Command, Air Transport Auxiliary and British Overseas Airways Corporation. All 22 of the crew and passengers perished in the crash making it the worst crash on Arran.
This aircraft had been used less than two weeks earlier to fly the Duke of Kent across the Atlantic, the first such time a member of the royal family had crossed the Atlantic by air

All but one of the crew and passengers were buried on the island, the one who wasn't, Radio Officer Henry Green, was buried at Brookwood Military Cemetery in Surrey.

Kilbride Old Churchyard, Lamlash, Isle of Arran is situated beyond the golf course at Lamlash and contains 36 CWGC graves including a double internment of 2 sisters and the 21 crew of a Liberator which crashed on Arran in 1941. [/QUOTE]

Crew:

Ernest Robert Bristow White - Captain - B.O.A.C. ( Pilot) Killed
Francis Delaforce Bradbrooke - Captain - A.T.A. (Co-pilot) Killed

Passengers:

James Josiah Anderson Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Ralph Bruce Brammer Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
John Beatty Drake Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Daniel Joseph Duggan Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Henry Samuel Green Radio Officer B.O.A.C. Passenger Killed
George Thomas Harris Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Hoyt Ralph Judy Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Wilfrid Groves Kennedy Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Watt Miller King Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
George Laing Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
William Kenneth Marks Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Hugh Cameron McIntosh Radio Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Albert Alexander Oliver Radio Officer A.T.A. Passenger Killed
George Herbert Powell Radio Officer A.T.A. Passenger Killed
John Evan Price Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Herbert David Rees Radio Officer A.T.A. Passenger Killed
Ernest George Reeves Flight Engineer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
John James Rouleston First Officer R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Harold Clifford Wesley Smith Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed
Jack Wixen Captain R.A.F.F.C. Passenger Killed

Attached File  Kilbride Old Churchyard.jpg   71.75K   2 downloads

In Memory of
Captain ERNEST ROBERT BRISTOW WHITE

British Overseas Airways Corporation
who died age 35
on 10 August 1941
Son of George Ernest and Florence Louise White; husband of Elizabeth Mary White, of Uplands, Bristol. F.R. Met. S.
Remembered with honour
KILBRIDE OLD CHURCHYARD, ISLE OF ARRAN

In Memory of
Captain FRANCIS DELAFORCE BRADBROOKE

Air Transport Auxiliary
who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain JAMES JOSIAH ANDERSON

Royal Air Force Ferry Command
who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer RALPH BRUCE BRAMMER

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer JOHN BEATTY DRAKE

who died age 26
on 10 August 1941
Son of John F. Drake and Maud Drake, of New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain DANIEL JOSEPH DUGGAN

who died age 39
on 10 August 1941
Son of Cornelius J. Duggan and Katherine O'Kelly Duggan; husband of Barbara Mary Duggan, of Winthrop, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer HENRY SAMUEL GREEN

Atlantic Ferry Command., British Overseas Airways Corporation
who died age 30
on 10 August 1941
Son of Henry and Matilda Jane Green; husband of Betty Joan Green, of Earl's Court, London.
Remembered with honour
BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

In Memory of
Captain GEORGE THOMAS HARRIS

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain HOYT RALPH JUDY

who died age 24
on 10 August 1941
Son of Edward L. Judy and Mabel Judy; husband of Texas Miller Judy.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer WILFRID GRAVES KENNEDY

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain WATT MILLER KING

who died age 27
on 10 August 1941
Son of Eli and Lorene King; husband of Geraldine King, of Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.A.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer GEORGE LAING

who died age 33
on 10 August 1941
Son of William and Ada Laing; husband of Alice May Mary Laing, of Montreal, Province of Quebec, Canada.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer WILLIAM KENNETH MARKS

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer HUGH CAMERON McINTOSH

who died age 27
on 10 August 1941
Son of George and Francis Amelia McIntosh; husband of Margaret Ruth McIntosh, of Markham, Ontario, Canada.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer ALBERT ALEXANDER OLIVER

Air Transport Auxiliary
who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer GEORGE HERBERT POWELL

Air Transport Auxiliary
who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain JOHN EVAN PRICE

who died age 30
on 10 August 1941
Son of Sidney Evan Price and of Eveline Mary Price (nee Batten), of Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Radio Officer HERBERT DAVID REES

Air Transport Auxiliary
who died age 27
on 10 August 1941
Son of David and Catherine Ann Rees, of Felinfoel, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Flight Engineer ERNEST GEORGE REEVES

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
First Officer JOHN JAMES ROULESTON

who died
on 10 August 1941

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain HAROLD CLIFFORD WESLEY SMITH

who died age 50
on 10 August 1941
Son of Jason and Anna Amelia Smith; husband of Annie Smith, of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Remembered with honour

In Memory of
Captain JACK WIXEN

who died age 27
on 10 August 1941
Son of Aron and Tanya Wixen, of Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
Remembered with honour

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 24 September 2011 - 10:42 AM.

Spidge,

#12 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

Quite a bit of discussion here
AUS400158 Percival Martin SLOAN RAAF

Flintshire is not in Scotland though.

Ross

I was worried about this one. The chap who took most of my photos in Scotland took this one so I made an assumption instead of checking google.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#13 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Rather a lot on the web for this Atlantic Ferry Organisation return aircraft crash.

Google Liberator AM261

Ross

#14 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

Rather a lot on the web for this Atlantic Ferry Organisation return aircraft crash.

Google Liberator AM261

Ross

Thanks Ross.

I did rather well there didn't I.

He was not the pilot and 22 died in the crash. I had the details that 21 of 22 were buried on the island but did not put it all together.

I will leave this one until tomorrow I think.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#15 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Bringing this sad loss back to the top now it is completed.

http://www.ww2talk.c...html#post435477

Edited by spidge, 24 September 2011 - 02:51 PM.

Spidge,

#16 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

402661 Sergeant KILLEN, Richard Lyle

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A705, Commonwealth War Graves records
W R Chorley : RAF Bomber Command Losses Operational Training Units, 1940-1947,
Page 68, Volume 7.
Aircraft Type: Wellington
Serial number: R 1622
Radio call sign:
Unit: 20 Op Training RAF

Summary:

On the 23rd August 1941, Wellington R1622 took off from RAF Lossiemouth, detailed to
carry out local night flying practice, but due to incorrect flap settings, the aircraft failed to
climb. Having grazed the top of a hangar, which took away the pitot head, the aircraft
was ditched at approx 0105 hours roughly four miles out in the Moray Firth. Two of the
crew were killed and two were injured

Crew:

RNZAF Sgt T H Bagnall, Captain (Pilot) Injured (Later killed 17/12/1942)
RAAF 402661 Sgt R L Killen, (Pilot) Killed
RAF Sgt R F Lawrence, Injured (Later Killed 9/3/1942)
RAF Sgt A Thompson, (Air Gunner) Killed

Sgt Killen is buried in the Kiltearn Parish Churchyard, UK.
Sgt Thompson is buried in the South Shields (St Simon, Simonside) Churchyard, UK.

In Memory of
Sergeant RICHARD LYLE KILLEN

402661, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 21
on 23 August 1941
Son of Edward Cecil Lyle Killen and Bessie Marie Killen, of Benerembah, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
KILTEARN PARISH CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant ALAN THOMPSON

1379144, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 30
on 23 August 1941
Son of Thomas William Thompson, and of Mary Ann Thompson, of Simonside, South Shields; husband of Beatrice Thompson, of Simonside.
Remembered with honour
SOUTH SHIELDS (ST. SIMON, SIMONSIDE) CHURCHYARD

Spidge,

#17 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:02 AM

403078 Pilot Officer SLY, Ronald Reginald

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A9301 Barcode 52522381 Commonwealth War Graves records
Aircraft Type:Spitfire
Serial number:X4904
Radio call sign:
Unit: 58 Operational Trg RAF Took off from Grangemouth at 10:21 hrs. Last heard on w/t at 11:33 hrs but did not respond to repeated calls from 11:55 hrs.

Summary:

On the 17th October 1941, an aircraft flown by PO Sly took off from Grangemouth at 10:21 hrs and was last heard from on w/t at 11:33 hrs but did not respond to repeated calls from 11:55 hrs. The aircraft failed to return after flying in
formation between Cupar and Leuchars, Scotland. P/O Sly, age 21, was found in his burnt out aircraft at Maddy Moss, Ochils, north
west of Dollar on 21-10-41.
He is buried in the Grangemouth Grandsable Cemetery, Scotland, UK.

Attached File  Grangemouth (Grandsable) Cemetery.JPG   960.73K   0 downloads

In Memory of
Pilot Officer RONALD REGINALD SLY

403078, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 21
on 17 October 1941
Son of Kenneth Willis Sly and Ruth Alice Walker Sly, of Richmond, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
GRANGEMOUTH (GRANDSABLE) CEMETERY

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 25 September 2011 - 06:46 AM.

Spidge,

#18 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

A couple of corrections.

Cupor is actually Cupar

Crash time is incorrect.
Took off from Grangemouth at 10:21 hrs. Last heard on w/t at 11:33 hrs but did not respond to repeated calls from 11:55 hrs.

Regards
Ross

#19 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

A couple of corrections.

Cupor is actually Cupar

Crash time is incorrect.
Took off from Grangemouth at 10:21 hrs. Last heard on w/t at 11:33 hrs but did not respond to repeated calls from 11:55 hrs.

Regards
Ross

Thanks Ross.

Great info.

Corrected spelling for Leuchars and Grandsable but never heard of Cupar.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#20 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

403126 Sergeant DAVIDSON, Ross Walker

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A705, 163/100/136 Commonwealth War Graves records
Aircraft Type:
Serial number:
Radio call sign:
Unit: 7 Flying Trg School RAF

Summary:

On the 24th October 1941, Sgt Davidson, a pilot, died of acute leukaemia in the
Hairmyres Hospital, East Kilbride, Scotland. He is buried in the East Kilbride Cemetery,
Lanarkshire, Scotland.

He died at the local hospital, Hairmyres, of acute leukaemia. Presumably, he was stationed nearby - there were two airfields in that locality: Dundonald, which was a small army co-operation field and the large torpedo training OTU at Turnberry, where many Australians trained. The five headstones (10 graves) were all from Hairmyres hospital, Davidson is the second from the right.

Attached File  East Kilbride 10.JPG   1.78MB   1 downloads

In Memory of
Sergeant ROSS WALKER DAVIDSON

403126, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 21
on 24 October 1941
Son of Arthur David and Ellen Davidson, of Narraburra, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
EAST KILBRIDE CEMETERY

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 25 September 2011 - 08:00 AM.

Spidge,

#21 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

407757 Pilot Officer TUCKER, David Thomas

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A705, 163/59/42 Commonwealth War Graves records
Aircraft Type: Spitfire
Serial number: P 9320
Radio call sign:
Unit: 58 Operational Trg RAF

Summary:

On the 31st October 1941, Spitfire P9320 from RAF Grangemouth, was detailed to
carrying out low flying forced landing exercises coupled with direction finding homing
practice. The last radar contact made with the aircraft was a few minutes before 0900
hours. Nothing more was heard from the aircraft which failed to return to base.
The body of the Pilot was later located at Gualann, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

Crew:

RAAF 407757 PO Tucker, D T (Pilot)
PO Tucker is buried in the Grangemouth (Grandsable) Cemetery, Scotland, UK.

Attached File  Grangemouth (Grandsable) Cemetery.JPG   960.73K   1 downloads
In Memory of
Pilot Officer DAVID THOMAS TUCKER

407757, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 20
on 31 October 1941
Son of Hugh Edward and Elsie Frances Tucker, of Brighton, South Australia.
Remembered with honour
GRANGEMOUTH (GRANDSABLE) CEMETERY

Attached Files

Spidge,

#22 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy:

SECOND WORLD WAR FATALITIES
RAAF PERSONNEL SERVING IN RAF
BEAUFORT SQUADRONS AND SUPPORT UNITS

400204 Flying Officer LAWSON, Harry Horwood

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A9300, Barcode Commonwealth War Graves records
Roger Hayward : The Beaufort File Page 45
Aircraft Type: Beaufort
Serial number: W 6529
Radio call sign:
Unit: ATTD 42 SQN RAF

Summary:

Beaufort W6529 flown by FO Lawson (Pilot) flew into a hill at Pusk, Fifeshire, Scotland
on 29th November 1941. This was a Coastal Command aircraft out of Leuchars on an air test.
All the crew were killed.
FO Lawson is buried in the Leuchars Cemetery, Fifeshire, Scotland.

FO Lawson trained at No 1 ITS Somers, 3 EFTS Essendon, 3 SFTS RCAF Calgary, Canada.
He was attached to No 42 Sqn RAF from 20/10/41

Crew:

F/O Harry Horwood Lawson (Pilot)
P/O Henry Lawson Russell
Sgt Thomas Wensley Ogden
Sgt Brian John Perrin

Harry Horwood Lawson's father,
Sir Harry Sutherland Wightman Lawson KCMG (5 March 1875 - 12 June 1952), Australian politician, was the 27th Premier of Victoria.

Lawson was born in Dunolly, Victoria the son of a Presbyterian clergyman of Scottish descent. He was educated at a local school and then briefly Scotch College in Melbourne. He was a noted Australian rules footballer, playing for Castlemaine. He studied law with a Melbourne law firm and was called to the bar. He then went into practice in Castlemaine, and was elected to the town council, serving as mayor in 1905. In 1901 he married Olive Horwood, with whom he had eight children.

Lawson was elected to the Victorian Legislative Assembly for Castlemaine as a Liberal in 1899, and represented the town for 28 years. He was President of the Board of Land and Works in the government of William Watt from 1913 to 1915, and Attorney-General in the government of Alexander Peacock from 1915 to 1917. He remained loyal to Peacock when most country Liberal members supported John Bowser's rural faction, the Economy Party, and when Bowser's short-lived government ended in resignation in May 1918, Lawson succeeded him.

Lawson proved to be the most successful Premier Victoria had seen to date, holding office for six continuous years, something none of his 26 predecessors had done. This was despite the further fragmentation of the non-Labor vote with the emergence of the Country Party. At the 1921 elections, Lawson's Nationalist Party won 30 seats, to Labor's 20 and the Country Party's 13. Both Labor and the Country Party preferred Lawson to each other, so Lawson was able to survive as a minority Premier. He was helped by Labor's continuing inability to win seats outside its strongholds in the industrial suburbs of Melbourne and a few provincial towns.[1]

The biggest test Lawson faced was the 1923 Victorian Police strike, which saw riots and looting in the streets of Melbourne. There was also increasingly bitter industrial strife in Melbourne as the prosperity of the prewar years failed to return. There were major strikes on the waterfront and in the coal mining industry. Lawson gained a reputation as a tough conservative. He refused to give in to the demands of the police for better pay and conditions, running the risk of a breakdown in law and order, but once the strike was over he appointed a Royal Commission into their grievances, which gave them much of what they wanted.

In September 1923 Lawson formed Victoria's first conservative coalition, taking in five Country Party ministers. The coalition broke down in March 1924 when the Country Party made demands Lawson would not accept. The Country Party ministers resigned, and then united with Labor to bring Lawson down. After unsuccessfully contesting the Speakership, he retired to the back bench, where he stayed until October 1928, when he quit state politics altogether.

Federal politics

At the 1928 election, Lawson was elected to the Senate as a Nationalist, taking his seat in July 1929. In October the Scullin Labor government came to power and he spent two years in opposition. In October 1933 he was appointed an Assistant Minister in the Lyons United Australia Party government, and in 1934 he was made Minister in charge of Territories. In 1933 he was made a Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George. At the 1934 election, election he retired, his parliamentary term ending in June 1935.

Lawson died in East Melbourne, survived by seven of his eight children. His wife died in 1949 and his youngest son had joined the Royal Australian Air Force and was killed in 1941

Attached File  Lawson_HH.RAAF.jpg   499.06K   1 downloads

Attached File  Leuchars Cemetery.JPG   969.41K   0 downloads

In Memory of
Flying Officer HARRY HORWOOD LAWSON

400204, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 26
on 29 November 1941
Son of Sir Harry Sutherland Wightman Lawson, K.C.M.G., and Lady Olive Adele Lawson, of Armadale, Victoria, Australia; husband of Alice Elizabeth Lawson, of Geelong, Victoria. LL.M. (Melbourne).
Remembered with honour
LEUCHARS CEMETERY

In Memory of
Pilot Officer HENRY LAWSON RUSSELL

101579, 42 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 25
on 29 November 1941
Son of Alexander and Lilian Russell, of Forest Row, Sussex.
Remembered with honour
LEUCHARS CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant THOMAS WENSLEY OGDEN

759141, 42 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 25
on 29 November 1941
Son of Fred and Marion Ogden, of Coventry; husband of Ethel Ogden.
Remembered with honour
ALLESLEY (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

In Memory of
Sergeant BRIAN JOHN PERRIN

1375521, 42 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 27
on 29 November 1941
Son of John William and Ida Winifred Perrin, of Greenford.
Remembered with honour
WEMBLEY (ALPERTON) BURIAL GROUND

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 25 September 2011 - 11:54 AM.

Spidge,

#23 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

:poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy:

404470 Sergeant KENT, Malcolm Edward

Source:

AWM237 (65) NAA : A705, Commonwealth War Graves records
W R Chorley : RAF Bomber Command Losses Operational Training Units,1940-1947,
Page 86, Volume 7.
Serial number: L 4348
Radio call sign:

Summary:

On the 5th December 1941, Wellington L4348 took off from RAF Lossiemouth, detailed
to carry out a navigational training exercise. The aircraft crashed at 1600 hours some 14
miles west of Strathy Point, Sutherland, and burst into flames. The blaze was seen by the
crew of another of the Unit’s aircraft, and all the crew were killed.

Crew:

RAF Flt Sgt H S D Goss, Captain (Pilot)
RAF Sgt A R McCoy, (Observer)
RAF Sgt A Flint, (Observer)
RAAF 404470 Sgt M E Kent, (Wireless Air Gunner)
RNZAF Sgt A J Wilson,(Wireless Air Gunner)

Flt Sgt Goss is buried in the Watford Cemetery, UK.
Sgt’s McCoy, Kent and Wilson are buried in the Wick Cemetery, UK
Sgt Flint is buried in the Braunstone (St Peter) Churchyard, UK.

Attached File  Wick Cemetery 404470 Kent_ME [1280x768].JPG   147.87K   1 downloads.JPG]

Attached File  Wick Cemetery3 [1280x768].JPG   133.25K   0 downloads.JPG]
In Memory of
Flight Sergeant HAROLD SIDNEY DOUGLAS GOSS

742058, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 22
on 05 December 1941
Son of Sidney James Goss and Gladys Lilian Goss, of Watford; husband of Denise Doreen Goss.
Remembered with honour
WATFORD CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant ANTHONY RICHARD McCOY

1166019, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died
on 05 December 1941

Remembered with honour
WICK CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant ALFRED FLINT

1163046, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 28
on 05 December 1941
Son of Harry and Lilla Evelyn Flint, of Bushby.
Remembered with honour
BRAUNSTONE (ST. PETER) CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant MALCOLM EDWARD KENT

404470, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 23
on 05 December 1941
Son of Edward George and Ann Kent, of Roma, Queensland, Australia.
Remembered with honour
WICK CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant ALLAN JAMES WILSON

404111, Royal New Zealand Air Force
who died age 20
on 05 December 1941
Son of Herbert and Jean Geraldine Wilson, of Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand.
Remembered with honour
WICK CEMETERY

Attached Files

Spidge,

#24 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

403008 Sergeant McMILLAN, William Thomas

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A705, 163/141/309 Commonwealth War Graves records
Aircraft Type: Defiant
Serial number: N 3495
Radio call sign:
Unit: 60 Op Training RAF

Summary:

On the 4th January 1942, Defiant N3495 crashed near Linton East, Lothian, Scotland, and
the crew of two were killed.
A Court of inquiry into the accident stated : “The aircraft flew into the ground whilst on a
circuit preparing to land, due to the inexperience and lack of ability on the part of the
pilot. There was a sudden deterioration in the weather.”

Crew:

RAAF 403008 Sgt W T McMillan, (Pilot)
RAF Sgt T H Jones, (Air Gunner)

Sgt McMillan is buried in the Haddington (St Martin’s) New Burial Ground, Scotland,
UK.
Sgt Jones is buried in the Highcliff (St Mark) Churchyard, UK.

This CWGC plot was intended to serve RAF East Fortune, a WW1 airfield,
from which the first E-W crossing of the Atlantic started (airship R34, in 1919).
It reopened in WW2 and was the home of 60 (night fighter) OTU and then 132 (coastal, strike fighter) OTU. It now serves as the Scotland Museum of Flight.

Attached File  Haddington Cemetery [1280x768].JPG   185.86K   0 downloads.JPG]
In Memory of
Sergeant WILLIAM THOMAS McMILLAN

403008, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 23
on 04 January 1942
Son of James and Matilda McMillan, of Oxley, Victoria, Australia.
Remembered with honour
HADDINGTON (ST. MARTIN'S) NEW BURIAL GROUND

In Memory of
Sergeant TREVOR HARTLEY JONES

1311958, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 19
on 04 January 1942
Son of Percy Jones, and of Lilian D. Jones, of Walkford.
Remembered with honour
HIGHCLIFFE (ST. MARK) CHURCHYARD

Attached Files

Spidge,

#25 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hi Geoff,

No.60 OTU had three aircraft crashes between 00:01 and 06:30hrs due to weather conditions changing.

P/O Daniel was ordered to abandon his aircraft and landed safely by parachute from 900 feet.

P/O G S Richards collapsed the port oleo leg and damaged the centre section of his Defiant landing in the poor conditions.

Third loss was Sgt McMillan.

So although the C of I noted his inexperience as a factor, more experienced crews were also caught out in the conditions but survived to tell the tale.

Recorded Met in the ORB was:
Visibility for the night was good to very good but moderate in wintery percipitation during evening. Cloud to midnight 6/10 to 10/10 at 1,2000' (sic); after midnight 2/10 to 7/10 at 3,4000' (sic). Wintery showers during the evening and strong NE.ly wind all night.

Regards
Ross

#26 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the detail Ross.

I have found some of the Court of Inquiry findings quite "black and white" to the detriment of these lads with a few more to come in the next few months.

The is no doubt in my mind that the exuberance of youth led to many accidents however atrocious weather conditions, especially in Scotland were not fully taken into account when apportioning blame.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

#27 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy: :poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy:

404637 Sergeant MILLIKEN, Roy Alister
404634 Sergeant DICKSON, Beaumont Churchill

Source:

AWM237 (65) NAA : A705, 163/102/44 Digitised Commonwealth War Graves records
W R Chorley: RAF Bomber Command Losses Operational Training Units 1940-1947,
Page 95, Volume 7.

Serial number: R 1646
Radio call sign:

Summary:

On 19th January 1942, Wellington R1646 took off from RAF Lossiemouth, detailed to
carry out a cross-country training flight, and failed to return at the scheduled time. On, or
around the 19th February the police relayed a message to Lossiemouth that the wreckage
of an aircraft had been reported in the vicinity of Clunie Water (or Clunie Glen), near
Braemar in Aberdeenshire. Three days later a service party struggled across the snow
covered countryside, and confirmed that the remains were those of the Wellington.
From evidence gathered at the scene it seems likely that the aircraft came down at around
1250 hours. The crew of six had been killed.

Crew:

RNZAF FO Thomson,, J W DFC, Captain (Pilot)
RCAF Sgt R J Jackson, (Pilot)
RCAF Flt Sgt H J Kelley, (Observer)
RAF Sgt J B Riley, (Wireless Air Gunner)
RAAF 404634 Sgt B C Dickson,(Wireless Air Gunner)
RAAF 404637 Sgt R A Milliken, (Wireless Air Gunner)
RAF Sgt M H J Kilburn (Sgt Pilot)
RAF Sgt W M Greenbank (Air Gunner)

All the crew are buried in the Dyce Old Churchyard, UK. The Churchyard stands on the
right bank of the Don, two miles from the Dyce Railway Station, Aberdeenshire,
Scotland. (Sgt's Kilburn & Greenbank were later exhumed and buried in their local cemetery as designated below).
Searches were conducted over the area from which the last and very weak W/T message
was received at RAF Lossiemouth at 1250 hours and no indication of any difficulty was
indicated. The last estimated position was 57.58N, 01.50 W

This from a friend in Scotland who tracked me down in Australia and asked "Are you the bloke who wants photos of the RAAF lads buried in Scotland"?
He proceeded to supply me with 80% of all my requirements with detail similar to that below. I can't thank Frank enough for all his assistance.

Sgts Dickson and Milliken were in Wellington R1646, of 20 OTU, based at RAF Lossiemouth, which crashed in Glen Cluanie (usually written Cluny), near Braemar, about 60 miles S of Lossiemouth, probably because of bad weather.
Because of the very heavy snow in the area, the aircraft was not discovered for about one month and it was only on 2 March that most of the crew, including the two RAAF men, were recovered (and six weeks later for the final two). A very informative website (Archie - A Pilot in RAF Bomber Command and WWII Aviation Crash Sites in Scotland Entrance) has a great deal of information about the search and recovery, the memorial which was unveiled (by Princess Anne!) in 2003 and about the two Australians (including an appeal to trace the relatives of Sgt Dickson).

The headstones of Sgts Dickson and Milliken and of two others of the crew are of the ‘special’ type, with ‘buried near this spot’ at the top. I don’t know why, but my guess is that it had been impossible to identify some of the bodies, which were placed in a communal grave, although with separate headstones.

The CWGC plot is in the old graveyard of St Fergus, which also contains some famous Pictish sculptured stones. As well as the WW2 graves, there are several post WW2 RAF graves and those of three German bomber crews, one of which killed my cousin in 1940.

RAF Dyce became Aberdeen Airport, the main heliport for North Sea oil operations - when I visited, there were eight large helicopters circling over the graveyard, waiting to land.

A really in depth story here of the crash and the eventual finding of the crew.
World War II Aviation Crash Sites in Scotland - Wellington R1646

The winter of 1942 was one of the worst that the North East of Scotland had ever experienced with heavy falls of snow and bitterly cold temperatures. It was to be several weeks before the fate of the Wellington and her crew was discovered.

About one month after the disappearance of the Wellington, Gamekeeper James Wright* was out in the hills checking the deer on the Invercauld Estate**,some 60 miles (approx 96 km) south of Lossiemouth as the crow flies. While scanning the snow covered landscape he saw something glinting on part of the hillside. Working in the hills and glens every day as he did, he was familiar with the terrain and how it looked in every type of light and weather. Something was different from usual, and he had noticed this. Using his telescope, carried by all gamekeepers, he focused in on the object and was sure that it looked like the tail section of an aircraft.

*James Wright was one of three gamekeepers working in the glen at that time, the other two being his cousin, Jock Wright who lived at Callater Lodge beside Loch Callater and Archibald McHardy.

**The Invercauld Estate has been owned for centuries by the Farquharson family and extends to over 200 Square miles of countryside.

Later that day, James Wright went to the nearest village, Braemar, and reported what he had seen through his telescope........Read the full story at the link above.............

Attached File  Dyce Milliken Photo.JPG   25.16K   1 downloads

Attached File  Dyce Old Churchyard Millikin_RA.JPG   996.9K   2 downloads

Attached File  Dyce Old Churchyard.JPG   913.98K   2 downloads

In Memory of
Flying Officer JAMES WILLIAMSON THOMSON
D F C

40667, Royal New Zealand Air Force
who died age 25
on 19 January 1942
Son of James and Laura Jean Thomson, of Omaru, Otago, New Zealand.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant ROBERT JAMES JACKSON

R/83904, Royal Canadian Air Force
who died age 21
on 19 January 1942
Son of James and Ella Maud Jackson, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Flight Sergeant HARRY JOSEPH KELLEY

R/76125, Royal Canadian Air Force
who died age 23
on 19 January 1942
Son of Harry J. Kelley and Helen V. Kelley, of Westmount, Province of Quebec, Canada.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant JOHN BERNARD RILEY

995062, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 23
on 19 January 1942
Son of Edgar and Edith Marie Riley; husband of Joyce Riley, of Askern, Yorkshire.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant BEAUMONT CHURCHILL DICKSON

404634, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 22
on 19 January 1942
Son of Mervyn and Esther Elizabeth Dickson, of Rockhampton, Queensland. Australia.
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant ROY ALISTAIR MILLIKEN

404637, Royal Australian Air Force
who died age 22
on 19 January 1942
Son of Robert Anderson Milliken and Anne Brown Milliken; husband of Mary Patricia Donahoe Milliken, of Des Plaines, Illinois, U.S.A. (Sp. Mem. "C".)
Remembered with honour
DYCE OLD CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant MICHAEL HENRY JOHN KILBURN

1380631, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 19
on 19 January 1942
Son of Frank and Gladys May Kilburn, of Farnham.
Remembered with honour
FARNHAM (GREEN LANE) CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant WILLIAM MORPHET GREENBANK

1029811, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 20
on 19 January 1942
Son of Fred and Sarah Elizabeth Greenbank, of Windermere.
Remembered with honour
WINDERMERE (ST. MARY'S) CEMETERY

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 27 September 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Spidge,

#28 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

:poppy::poppy::poppy:

402646 Sergeant DENLEY, Richard Charles

Source:

AWM 237 (65) NAA : A705, 163/101/100 Micro Film NO 463 OAFH
Commonwealth War Graves records.
Aircraft Type: Beaufighter
Serial number: T4751
Radio call sign: LA-G for George
Unit: ATTD 235 SQN RAF

Summary:

Beaufighter T4751 took off on 9th February 1942, detailed to carry out a daytime nonoperational
flight The pilot who was not experienced on aircraft type , lost control and
spun in while attempting to avoid a hill in a snow storm. The aircraft crashed at 1530
hours, caught fire on impact and the crew were killed. .
The Pilot on local flying failed to land at once when the weather unexpectedly started to
deteriorate. He was under Fighter Control on a local W/T exercise in uncertain weather
conditions. He did not carry out instructions to remain over the drome, but returned when
conditions were deteriorating, and circled the drome several times. Attempts were made
to divert the aircraft south but no W/T or R/T communication could be established.
Although the aircraft wireless was fully serviceable before take off.

Crew:

RAAF 402646 Sgt D C Denley, Captain (Pilot)
RAF Sgt J G Cameron, (Observer)
RAF Sgt J R Lord, (Observer)

Sgt Denley is buried in the Lerwick New Cemetery, Sumburgh, Shetland Islands,UK.
Sgt Cameron is buried in the Knockando Parish Cemetery, UK.
Sgt Lord is buried in the Oldham (Chadderton) Cemetery, UK.

Attached File  Lerwick New Cemetery.jpg   48.68K   0 downloads
In Memory of
Sergeant RICHARD CHARLES DENLEY

402646, Royal Australian Air Force
who died
on 09 February 1942
Son of Joshua Albert and Annie Agness Denley, of Erina, New South Wales, Australia.
Remembered with honour
LERWICK NEW CEMETERY

In Memory of
Sergeant JAMES GORDON CAMERON

995198, 235 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died
on 09 February 1942

Remembered with honour
KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
Sergeant JAMES RENNIE LORD

980329, 235 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 23
on 09 February 1942
Son of Frank Lord and of Linda Lord, of Chadderton, Oldham.
Remembered with honour
OLDHAM (CHADDERTON) CEMETERY

Attached Files

Edited by spidge, 28 September 2011 - 03:52 PM.

Spidge,

#29 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hi Geoff,

Time for the sub-editors blue pen again.

Sumburgh rather than Sumburg

Storr seems to have a bit of a blind spot on RAF aircraft serials and keeps repeating this type of error. For this period they are:

Alpha/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric or

Alpha/Alpha/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric

In this case LA-G for George was T4751 not TF4751.

Regards
Ross

#30 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Hi Geoff,

Time for the sub-editors blue pen again.

Sumburgh rather than Sumburg

Storr seems to have a bit of a blind spot on RAF aircraft serials and keeps repeating this type of error. For this period they are:

Alpha/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric or

Alpha/Alpha/Numeric/Numeric/Numeric

In this case LA-G for George was T4751 not TF4751.

Regards
Ross

Thanks for the detail Ross.

Edit complete.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users