Searching information: Item Company, 3rd battalion, 506th PIR

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

I would appreciate some input from the Airborne experts on sources concerning Item Company, 3rd battalion, 506th, 101st airborne division. Book suggestions would especially be great.

- First hand accounts describing the role of Item co. in the 506th.
- Any possible unit diaries.

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

#2 Wills

Wills

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

The 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles 3/506th Parachute Infantry WW2 Regiment : The Forgotten Battalion : Tonight We Die As Men : Whizz Films

Attached File  paradice.gif   16.8K   1 downloads

The 506th PIR Para-Dice (Pair-O-Dice) Pocket Patchdesignisattributed to Bill Donnan and/or Harold Donaghe (both from B Company, 1st BN, 506th PIR), who created it at Camp Toccoa, GA in the summer of 1942.Joe Witzerman (HQ, 2nd BN, 506th PIR) did the art work. (Joe was later transferred to a special Army artist unit.) The design consists of a diving eagle in front of a parachute canopy and a pair of dice, showing a "5" and a "6" and connected with a large black "0" , signifying the 506 attacking from the sky. The Para-Dice patch was approved on April 20, 1943 and was worn on the left jacket pocket. However, since this was a regimental insignia, it was not an authorized patch once the 506th PIR was attached to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC, on June 1, 1943.

506th PIR 3rd Battalion Photographs

Attached File  rosstoccoa1942.jpg   52.44K   2 downloads

Camp Toccoa, GA, 1942 -- (standing L): PFC Donald C. Ross (I Company, 3rd BN, 506th PIR)
The other soldiers are not identified but may also have been from I Company. Please contact
Hoyt Bruce Moore, III if you have any information on these unidentified soldiers.

Airborne Operations In World War II European Theater_1

I Co/3rd BN/506th PIR/101st ABN (HRS)

Edited by Wills, 10 August 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#3 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Thank you Wills. I've already read a lot on the sites you posted. Do you know of any books which covers the company?
Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users