• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Langton

Langton

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Were the Defence Medals for Home Guard unmarked? i.e no name, rank etc.

#2 sapper

sapper

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationSeaside town Dorset

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

There were no marks on them.
Sapper

#3 Langton

Langton

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Thanks.

One further question if I may ... any idea when they were issued? i.e X number of years after the war or after service?

Thanks.

#4 mattgibbs

mattgibbs

• Registered Users
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:49 PM

Some were issued immediately after the war, remember the Home Guard stood down in 1944. Some were issued in 2005. For those who did not claim or did not recieve one are only just claiming their entitlement now. I believe it was for 3 years home service? But I cannot recall exactly. Therefore some Home Guards who joined up after the end of 1941 would not qualify on the length of service.
Regards
Matt Gibbs
The enemy invariably attacks on one of two occasions:
1. When he is ready.
2. When you are not.

#5 Dieppe

Dieppe

• Registered Users
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

There were no marks on them.
Sapper

Just to elaborate; none of the Defence Medals, not just Home Guard issued ones, were named; any with naming on has been engraved privately.
I think that engraving of medals could be done at Boots.

Posted Image

:poppy: In memory of my great uncle, 5833402 Private Percy Bradbury, 5th Bn Suffolk Regiment. Captured at Singapore and died in captivity aged 26 years.
Buried at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery; so far from home but not from our hearts :poppy:

#6 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Ubique

• Super Moderators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK/France

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

What Matt says is correct, the qualification for the Defence Medal was 3 years, so unless the serviceman had done 3 years in the Home Guard prior to their disbandment, then he would not get one. Also, all medals had to be claimed and were not issued. No WW2 medals issued to British personnel were named, as Lee has mentioned above. Boots (and indeed others) offered a naming service in the 1950s.

"The only way you get out of infantry is on a stretcher or six feet under..."

Battlefields of WW2
: The Guide to visiting WW2 Battlefields.

www.ww2battlefields.com

#7 Bodston

Bodston

Little Willy

• Registered Users
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

I have my Grandad's Defence medal which he was awarded for wartime home service with the National Fire Service (NFS). He was a rural blacksmith and part-time fireman in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire. Being in his mid forties I presume he was too old to have been called up into the armed forces. He and his collegues did attend the fires caused by the bombing of Coventry some 40 miles away.
Who else was eligible for this medal?
My mother told me, I never should, play with the gypsies in the wood.

#8 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

Criteria
(According to the MOD website)

The Defence Medal was awarded for non-operational service. This type of service in the UK included those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. Home Guard service counts between the dates of 14 May 1940 and 31 December 1944. The Defence Medal was also awarded for non-operational service overseas, for example in India or South Africa.

The table below shows the qualifying time required depending on the area served.
Area
Time required
UK 1080 days
Overseas non-operational 360 days
Overseas non-operational in an area deemed to be closely threatened or subject to air attack
180 days

A personal note:
To confirm my own entitlement for the Defence Medal I looked at one of the numerous forms that I received when I asked for my Army Records. One was headed "Identification of Goldstein R. on Joining" and a sub-section dealt with Campaign Medals & Decorations.
There are 5 Medals listed; The Africa Star, The 39/45 & Italy Star, The Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939/45.
The authority for the Defence Medal is shown as 2950/46 CMF B2068
so I suppose this is as official a record as I am ever likely to get.
Like most men of my age, I had registered for War Service in 1939 and prior to joining the Forces had been a Fire Watcher in London and an Air Raid Warden in Houghton Regis. I had reported this on enlistment but cannot find any record of my civilian service recorded on my Army Records.

Edited by Ron Goldstein, 02 January 2010 - 05:15 PM.

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#9 Dieppe

Dieppe

• Registered Users
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

Who else was eligible for this medal?

A lot of organisations! From the 'Medal Yearbook 2006':

'The definitive list of eligible recipients was published by the Ministry of Defence in 1992 - Form DM1/DM2 and Annex. This lists 50 different organisations and 90 sub-divisions of eligible personnel.'

Posted Image

:poppy: In memory of my great uncle, 5833402 Private Percy Bradbury, 5th Bn Suffolk Regiment. Captured at Singapore and died in captivity aged 26 years.
Buried at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery; so far from home but not from our hearts :poppy:

#10 sapper

sapper

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationSeaside town Dorset

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

There was no mention of my Home Guard service anywhere, When I joined the army I was told to report at Newcastle in my HG uniform..I did just that, and still had it when my war finished at Overloon and Venraij.
Sapper

#11 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

As a result of a recent thread, started by Brian (Sapper) I learnt about the practice of "bumping" which, as I understand it, revives a thread to bring it once again to the attention of others.

So ladies and gentlemen.................... this thread is about to be bumped up !!!

Have a look at my response above, No.8 on this thread.

This is one thing that has puzzled me for years and no-one has yet given me a satisfactory answer.

According to my Army Records I am entitled to the Defence Medal and, just for the record, I have no intention of giving it up. :)

But....... according to the way the criteria is set out by the MOD I can't find how I qualify if no record is kept of my pre-Army service.

Yes, I was in Ack-Ack serving on the Sussex coast but not for 3 years.
Yes, I served in the UK from Oct.1942 until being posted overseas in April '43 but that was only 6 months.
Yes, I served in Civil Defence prior to being called up but there is no mention of this in my Army records.

Can anyone please tell me why I've got the defence medal ?
(but don't forget, I'm not giving it up !!!)

Attached Files

Edited by Ron Goldstein, 02 January 2010 - 05:03 PM.

And if not now, when?

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

#12 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSitting on my backside-shire

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

This three years service has puzzled me too. My grandfather and many other servicemen received the Defence medal. Although he did spend a lot of time in UK after Dunkirk and before going to North Africa, I don't think it amounted to three years.

Lee

#13 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Also awarded for one years overseas service - If the overseas service area was subject to enemy attacks or closely threatened the qualifying period was reduced to six months. Many WW2 home defence and related organisations were eligible such as the Home Guard, Auxiliary Fire Service, Civil Defence, etc.

Ron, was Trieste classed as non-operational given that war had finished ?

#14 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Lee

Thank G-d it's not only me !

I've posted a pic of my medals to show what a bloody nuisance it would be to remove the Defence medal at this stage in my life and now I know that there are others in the same boat we can always get Joanna Lumley to lead our cause :)

Cheers

Ron

And if not now, when?

#15 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

This three years service has puzzled me too. My grandfather and many other servicemen received the Defence medal. Although he did spend a lot of time in UK after Dunkirk and before going to North Africa, I don't think it amounted to three years.

Lee

Lee, how long was in the army prior to Dunkirk. The qualifying period is 1080 days, although not sure if it is continual.

This is also confusing, as it doesnt seem to count 'Europe' as overseas

Basic Information

Campaign : World War II
Dates (Europe) : 3 Sep 1939 - 8 May 1945
(Overseas) : 3 Sep 1939 - 2 Sep 1945

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | Defence Medal

#16 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Phil

Methinks not and, as you say, this was POST war

Ron

And if not now, when?

#17 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

Ron, here is the transcript of the official 1945 statement from the HMSO

The Defence Medal
12. (i) The institution of a Defence Medal has been approved. This is to be granted (a) for service with Forces in non-operational areas subjected to air attack, or closely threatened, (B) for non-operational service with the Forces overseas from, or outside, the country of residence, © for Civil Defence or other specified civilian service in military operational areas, and (d) for Civil Defence service in non-operational areas subjected to air attack, or closely threatened.

The time qualification will be three years for (a), © and (d) except for Mine and Bomb Disposal units of the Forces in (a), for which the period will be three months. For (B) the time qualification will be one year.

(ii) The centre of the ribbon is flame-coloured, and the edges are green, symbols of the enemy attacks on our green and pleasant land. Two black stripes represent the black-out.
(iii) Those qualified for any one of the Campaign Stars may be granted this award in addition, and subsequent award of one of the Campaign Stars will not supersede a previous grant of the Defence Medal. Military or Civil Defence service in the territory of residence, neither subjected to air attack nor closely threatened will not be a qualification for this Medal.
(iv) Service in the Forces
(a) All members of the Forces who have served in the United Kingdom during the war will be eligible for the Defence Medal. Personnel of the Anti-Aircraft Command and all Royal Air Force personnel other than operational air crew will, for example, be included. Members of Dominion Forces who have served in the United Kingdom will be eligible The United Kingdom Home Guard will also be included.
(B) It is the intention, for example, that service by United Kingdom Forces in West Africa, Palestine or India, as well as service by Dominion Forces in non-operational areas outside their own countries, should also be a qualification.
© The part-time service of the Malta Home Guard will be specially recognised by the grant of the Defence Medal.
(v) Civil Defence, &c., service
(a) Members of civilian services in the United Kingdom eligible for Chevrons for war service will be eligible for the Defence Medal. A list of most of the categories which will be included is given in the Appendix.
(B) Part time, as well as whole time, civilian service of the kind described in sub-paragraph (a) above will be a qualification. Any period since the 3rd September, 1939, during which the enrolled member was
(i) available for duty up to the standard required from time to time, and
(ii) performed such duty as and when required, will be reckoned towards the period of three years qualifying service.
© It is the intention that Civil Defence service in military operational areas subjected to enemy air attack should be included on a similar basis. Civil Defence services in Gibraltar and Malta and in other territories in the Colonial Empire, which qualify for Chevrons for war service, will also be eligible. Civil Defence service in, for instance, West Africa or the West Indies will not be a qualification.
(vi) Time qualification
Service will be counted from the 3rd September, 1939, to the 8th May, 1945, or to the stand-down of the organisation if earlier. United Kingdom Home Guard service, for instance, will be reckoned from June, 1940, to the stand-down in November, 1944, and Civil Defence service will be counted up to the 8th May, 1945, or whatever date is fixed for the cessation of service in particular cases. Service in the various eligible categories may be aggregated. Time overseas in non-operational areas amounting to less than a year will be added at its actual time value to service of less than three years at home, that is to say, it would not be multiplied by three.
(vii) Time qualification in the Colonial Empire
Where in certain cases in the Colonial Empire in territories which have been subjected to aerial bombardment or closely threatened, a three-year qualification cannot be adopted without excluding the full or part-time local military Forces and the Civil Defence organisation, it will he necessary to seek approval for special time qualifications.
(viii) Special awards
(a) Service in eligible categories brought to an end before the period of three years or twelve or three months service has been completed, either by death due to enemy action when on duty, or by injuries entitling the candidate to a Wound Stripe, will be a qualification for the grant of the Defence Medal.
(B) The Defence Medal will also be granted, without regard to the three year or twelve or three months service requirement, to those British subjects who may have received an award or Commendation for brave conduct or Commendation for valuable service in the air, provided that the recipient, when the award or Commendation was earned, was serving in a category eligible for the Defence Medal and that the distinction was granted in respect of service qualifying for the Defence Medal.
© It will be noticed that, for obvious reasons, the above definition excludes those granted the George Cross or George Medal for actions in service qualifying for Campaign Stars or for actions in territories neither subjected to air attack nor closely threatened.
(d) There are a few other recipients of the George Cross or the George Medal not in any of the categories mentioned in the preceding subparagraphs (B) and ©, mainly those granted these awards for gallantry in Civil Defence, who were not in a service which would qualify them for the Defence Medal. These also will be eligible specially for the Defence Medal. This arrangement will not apply to holders of awards other than the George Cross and the George Medal.
(ix) Claims
It will not be practicable for Departments to certify awards until application has been made and the prescribed form has been submitted and examined. Further information will be issued on this point by the various Departments. A candidate with qualifying time in more than one Service will submit a certificate from the appropriate authorities in respect of his earlier service.
(x) Closing date. Continuance in the Pacific
(a) The closing date of the qualifying period for the Defence Medal in respect of service in the Forces will be that on which active hostilities ended in Europe, that is to say, the 8th May, 1945, except that service in the Forces overseas from, or outside, the country of residence, will continue to be reckoned until the end of active hostilities in the Pacific.
(B) Service by local military Forces or Civil Defence Organisations in non-operational areas in territories in the Pacific area classified as qualifying by reason of aerial bombardment or because they have been closely threatened will continue to be reckoned towards the award of the Defence Medal during the interval between the end of active hostilities in Europe and the end of active hostilities in the Pacific.

SOURCE : The Official 1945 Statement regarding the British WW2 Campaign Stars and Defence Medal

#18 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Lee

Thank G-d it's not only me !

I've posted a pic of my medals to show what a bloody nuisance it would be to remove the Defence medal at this stage in my life and now I know that there are others in the same boat we can always get Joanna Lumley to lead our cause :)

Cheers

Ron

Ron you have the exact same rack of campaign medals as my grandfather. I wondering if the three year period refers purely to Home Guard and Civil Defence rather than active service?
Don't think we need to call in the lovely Lumley just yet ;-)

Did you ever receive a bar for your Africa Star? I know my g. father should have a First Army bar but he never received it.

Lee

Edited by PsyWar.Org, 02 January 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#19 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Lee, how long was in the army prior to Dunkirk. The qualifying period is 1080 days, although not sure if it is continual.

This is also confusing, as it doesnt seem to count 'Europe' as overseas

Basic Information

Campaign : World War II
Dates (Europe) : 3 Sep 1939 - 8 May 1945
(Overseas) : 3 Sep 1939 - 2 Sep 1945

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | Defence Medal

Phil that could indeed be the reason. He began his National Service in August 1939 and then found himself in "for the duration". I can't remember when he first went to France so there's probably a good few months to add on there.

Lee

Editted to add, he was also in Greece in 1945. Don't know if Greece was classed as operational or not but certainly his worst experience of the war.

Edited by PsyWar.Org, 02 January 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#20 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Phil

Thanks for that but I am still none the wiser :(

I've just come off the phone after speaking to my Driver/Op mate Lew and find that he too served in Civil Defence but can't remember anything being in his Army Records.
When I go there next week we are going to check it out.

Regards

Ron

And if not now, when?

#21 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

Self-deleted for talking nonsense.

#22 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Lee

First Army Clasp ?

Don't get me started on that !
(full story here) >>>>>> http://www.ww2talk.c...tion-medal.html

Regards

Ron

And if not now, when?

#23 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Lee

First Army Clasp ?

Don't get me started on that !
(full story here) >>>>>> http://www.ww2talk.c...tion-medal.html

Regards

Ron

That's rather annoying Ron to say the least. Missing it by a few days eventhough you were there all the time!

#24 militarycross

militarycross

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Until reading this thread, I always was under the impression that for Canadians it was simply six months in the UK. So, I went to the Veterans Affairs medals website and found this which confirms the qualification, but not the practice which seems to have been fairly consistently at 6 months.

Terms

Although the medal was usually awarded to Canadians for six months service in Britain between 03 September 1939 and 08 May 1945, the exact terms were: Service in the forces in non-operational areas subjected to air attack or closely threatened, providing such service lasted for three or more years. Service overseas or outside the country of residence, providing that such service lasted for one year, except in territories threatened by the enemy or subject to bomb attacks, in which case it was six months prior to 02 September 1945. Under the terms of this last condition, Canadians serving for one year in Newfoundland were eligible and persons serving for six months in Hong Kong were also eligible. The qualifying period in mine and bomb disposal was three months. Canadians serving in West Africa, Palestine and India, other than operational air crew, qualified for this medal. Those awarded the GC or GM for civil defence received this medal. Home Guard and others in Britain qualified for this medal.

cheers,

phil
:poppy: The face of Sacrifice is a Mother's Face -- streaked with tears.

#25 Driver-op

Driver-op

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi Ron. Registering for war service in 1939 puzzles me somewhat as you would have been about 16, same as me. I didn't register until 1942 after my 18th birthday in January, then called up later that year. From 1938 to 42 I was a drum-major in the ATC and like most of the squadrons did volunteer work in the evenings, such as stretcher bearer at the local hospital. Some were attached to the NFS and the like.
Jim

#26 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi Jim

I see I wrote

Like most men of my age, I had registered for War Service in 1939 and prior to joining the Forces had been a Fire Watcher in London and an Air Raid Warden in Houghton Regis. I had reported this on enlistment but cannot find any record of my civilian service recorded on my Army Records.

Unless my memory plays me absolutely false I can remember having to register in Hove, in Sussex, shortly after arriving there in September 1939 and, as you correctly say, would have been 16 in the preceding August.

Exactly what I was registering for is shrouded in the clouds of time but if you say that we didn't have to register for War Service until the age of 18 I'm more than happy to accept your recollection.

Cheers

Ron

And if not now, when?

#27 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

The more I read on this site about the award of the Defence Medal to men/women serving overseas I am convinced that EVERYONE serving overseas was awarded that medal.

Will someone please tell me otherwise, or can someone find out why we were awarded the medal without having what appears to be the correct qualifications ?

Baffled from Cockfosters

And if not now, when?

#28 bofors

bofors

• Registered Users
  • 642 posts
  • LocationMaryborough

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi Ron

My Dad was not awarded that medal - even though he has a set of medals like yours, except for the 8th Army Clasp- and I have been trying to find out why he was not entitled to it, even though he obviously thought he was (the originals were stolen when he first moved here and he only bought a set himself in the early 90's)

See the thread that I am posting about his service records on for the early discussion on this - I think he should have been and so did he!
I have written off to MOD but no reply so far.
Also enquired about if he did Home Guard but got a no reply back, but need to check address I gave them as it is different to the one on his service records

regards

Robert

#29 Tom Canning

Tom Canning

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

This thread appears to be dragging on a bit when 'England Phil' has already - see #17 has provided the answer in three categories i.e

#12 - Defence Medal - (iii) anyone awarded a campaign star ...etc

1V - Service in Forces - all members.... etc

V111 - Special Awards - wound stripes....... etc

so therefore I got my Defence medal for all three categories ....in the mail !

Cheers

#30 RJL

RJL

• Registered Users
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

The more I read on this site about the award of the Defence Medal to men/women serving overseas I am convinced that EVERYONE serving overseas was awarded that medal.

Will someone please tell me otherwise, or can someone find out why we were awarded the medal without having what appears to be the correct qualifications ?

Baffled from Cockfosters

Hi Ron
Just looking at your signature. If applicable, how much time did you serve in North Africa and or Egypt after 14th May 1943 and Sicily after 17th August 1943?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users