#1 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hi Everyone

I joined WW2TALK because I am researching as much as possible about my grandfather's time in the war. I know the basics of where he was and what happened to him during the war but need to "fill in the blanks". Looking forward to discovery.

Chell

#2 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Registered Users
  • 14,682 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Feel free to start a new thread on the forum specific to your grandfather. Be sure to include as much info as you can.

Are those your own sites linked in your signature?

#3 Gage

Gage

• Super Moderators
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

A big hello and welcome. Enjoy your discoveries.

'There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!' Kenneth Lee - after being shot down on the 18th August 1940.

Andree Borrel (Denise) SOE

♫ Now wicked tongues can speak and rewrite history But you can't keep the truth contained And like the song was sung Realize we're one and we're here to stay 

#4 4jonboy

4jonboy

Daughter of a 56 Recce

• Registered Users
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hello and welcome

Lesley

#5 Steve Mac

Steve Mac

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationWor Hoose

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hello Chell, welcome to the forum - enjoy!

Best,

Steve.

#6 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hello Chell,

Welcome to the forum, wishing you luck with your research.

Regards
Peter

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#7 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationFremantle, West Australia

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Welcome to the forum

Cheers
Paul

:poppy: In memory of all those of the Recce Regiments who lost their lives in World War 2 :poppy:

#8 kingarthur

kingarthur

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

Welcome to the forum

#9 militarycross

militarycross

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hello Chell and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

cheers,
phil
:poppy: The face of Sacrifice is a Mother's Face -- streaked with tears.

#10 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

Feel free to start a new thread on the forum specific to your grandfather. Be sure to include as much info as you can.

Are those your own sites linked in your signature?

Yes they are my sites. Not war related although I do mention a screenplay I'm working on about my grandfather. :)

#11 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

Chell
Welcome to the forum

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#12 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,566 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

Welcome & Enjoy !

Ron

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps. Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#13 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,539 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum. Do you know what unit(s) he was with?

#14 nicks

nicks

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationChippenham, Wiltshire

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hello Chell and welcome to the forum.

He was a common, unconsidered man, who, for a moment of eternity, held the whole future of mankind in his two sweating hands.

And did not let it go.

(Excerpt from Fighter Pilot by ACM Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris GCB, OBE,DSO)

#15 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 12,978 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

welcome to the forum

#16 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. Do you know what unit(s) he was with?

Hi Drew5233
Yes I do. He was a Private in the 2/12 Battalion (AIF) - QX3733. A brief overview for anyone who might have some useful links...
He was a Rat of Tobruk and was in the front-line. He was injured after a grenade was thrown into the trench he was in and was taken POW. He escaped after about a year and joined the underground. He was involved in the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich (as far as I've been able to figure through a process of elimination and details we do have). Wanted posters were distributed so he walked the Swiss Alps and became one of the Swiss Free Men.
There are other details I have but these are the major things that happened.

#17 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

Edit: Lifted from the Heydrich's car thread, as it doesn't really relate to the car ~A

My grandfather was involved in Reinhard Heydrich's assassination. Not sure exactly HOW he was involved (i.e. planning, there on the day, etc.) but yeah. This is a really interesting post for me personally.

Edited by von Poop, 23 April 2011 - 06:14 PM.
New thread grafted from old.

#18 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hi Chell, it certainly would be interesting if you could discover more on your grandfather (and be able to tell us) :)

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#19 James S

James S

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

Chell would love to know more, a recent book on the operation to kill Heydrich.

The Mirror Caught the Sun: Operation Anthropoid 1942: Amazon.co.uk: John Martin: Books

The Mirror Caught The Sun | Facebook

Some very good reading in the book and on the Facebook page.

#20 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,182 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Chell,

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#21 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationSitting on my backside-shire

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi Chell, It would be interesting to know your grandfather's name. He might have an SOE personal file if a member of that organisation.

Lee

#22 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hi Za Rodinu
Yes for sure. All I know at the moment is that he was involved in it and gave a few details about where and how, etc (which is why I've been able to figure out it was Heydrich). He didn't like to talk about the war because of the things he saw and only told his story once. He said the reprisal for Heydrich's assassination was so huge (which it was) he wasn't 100% proud of the result. The massive loss of innocent lives was too great a heartbreak so it was very bitter sweet for all of the soldiers involved. I will absolutely post here as I get more details. The wanted posters had their faces on it which is why he had to cross the Swiss Alps and get out.

#23 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

James S
Thanks for the links. I will look at these over the next couple of days and PsyWar, his name was Norman Henry John Mazlin. He was named after his cousin Norman Henry Mazlin so it's confusing sometimes when looking for information but his cousin was in the first world war, not second. That story is interesting and sad, too actually. Norman Henry Mazlin and his brother Leslie were both killed in Gallipoli within three months of each other. They were two of three brothers who fought in WW1.

What is the SOE file?

#24 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

Chell, SOE is the Special Operations Executive, the British secret sabotage and subversion department that helped train and supply resistance fighters. Had a quick search of their archives but there is not a personal file for Norman Mazlin unfortunately.

Lee

#25 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

:( Thanks for checking though Lee! Much appreciated. He's rather difficult to find any information on because he was super private and kept it that way as best he could. Unfortunately for us, it's made it really difficult to find anything on him. Getting there slowly though. A lot of what I've been able to figure out has been a process of elimination between what he told my mum and comparing it with war diaries, etc. Looong process but so worth it. :D

#26 PsyWar.Org

PsyWar.Org

Archive monkey

• Registered Users
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

Chell, what information do you have for him at present? That might help us steer you in the right direction. I'll also have a look through some of my other SOE records to see if he is mentioned anywhere.

#27 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 12,978 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

a piece of info here

is this him
Norman Henry John Mazlin service number QX 3733,2/12 Battalion

http://cdn.firstline...641/10AAlph.pdf

#28 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,539 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Just watching him (Heydrich) now on the National Geographic.

#29 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

CL1
Yes. That's my granddad. :)

#30 Chell

Chell

Discharged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Chell, what information do you have for him at present? That might help us steer you in the right direction. I'll also have a look through some of my other SOE records to see if he is mentioned anywhere.

Do you mean with regard to the assassination only? With that I only have what he told my mum and what I've read about the assassination itself.
All we know is that he escaped from either Camp 57 at Gruppignano, Udine or another one (the name of which escapes me at the moment - Vercelli) but both were in Italy and he was a POW at both. He then joined the Italian underground. We don't know anything about his time here up until he was involved with the Heydrich assassination in the Czech Republic. He said they ambushed him in his car going around a hairpin bend. After wanted posters were distributed with his (and others) face on them, he got out. Not sure if he was still in the Czech Republic at this point or if he was back in Italy. He walked across the Swiss Alps and stayed there for almost exactly a year. Pretty vague details but I guess I can't expect to find out too much more. He was taken POW in Tobruk. He was back to back in a trench when a grenade was thrown in. His comrade was killed and he received a shrapnel wound to his right hand. His trenchcoat was destroyed. His friend and Lieutenant Tom Wooton (or Wotton - it's spelled different in different sites) went back for him and they were both taken prisoner. Granddad was brought back to health by the Germans (who also kept his trenchcoat for him to show him how lucky he was). Granddad said he was treated really well by the Germans at the hospital and had a lot of respect for them. He was then taken to the POW camp.
That's about all the details I have. :) Interesting though, huh?

Oops! It's Tom Wootton ELLIOT (left out the most identifiable part of his name). Sorry guys.

Edited by Chell, 24 April 2011 - 04:16 AM.
Left out a detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users