22 replies to this topic

#1 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Tragically I heard yesterday that a memorial plaque to John Travers Cornwell VC has been stolen from Cornwell Cottages, Hornchurch.
A Hornchurch RBL member, RM veteran and resident at Cornwell Cottages advised that the plaque was stolen a couple of days ago.
John Cornwell, I am sure many here will know, was a WW1 Boy sailor who was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for his actions at the Battle of Jutland. The cottages were built in Hornchurch as a national memorial to the boy sailor.
This incident, along with several similar ones posted on this forum fills me with with shame for what this country is coming to.
It is perhaps fitting however that this forum and it's members, through the 'mystery plaque' thread, has undertaken a huge effort to return a memorial plaque found in Hornchurch to it's original home in Tottenham.
I wonder if Cornwell's plaque will ever be found?
Pictures of the cottages and plaque before the theft.

Attached Files

#2 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

This sort of theft appears to be on the increase and really sickens me when I read about them.

Words really fail me.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#3 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

Absolutely sickens me. Some people have no respect at all.
I will go past there tomorrow and take a photo for a disgusting 'then and now' to go with the photo of the stolen plaque.

#4 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

A very sad 'then and now':mad:

Attached Files

#5 4/7 RDG

4/7 RDG

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

A shameful act and you have to wonder what motivates people to do things like that - not for scrap value, surely? Despicable, disrespectful and shameful.

#6 James S

James S

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

The human race sometimes never fails to disappoint, disgust - only disgust.

#7 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

It's not a huge plaque for God's sake - how much could it be worth?

I hope if it is taken to a scrap merchant he would have the guts to refuse it.
And if it was taken as some sort of momento perhaps that makes it even worse - someone who appreciates what it stands for stole it.

Either way thoroughly I'm peed off.

#8 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,677 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

As Then & Nows go that's one I wish hadn't needed to be done.
:(

If you have any questions about the forum don't ask me, ask Adam - von Poop

#9 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

Amen Owen.:mad:

#10 geoff501

geoff501

L = 0.5*Cl*ρ*V*V*a

• Registered Users
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thanks to the power of google, I found another memorial, in words.

The Ballad of Jack Cornwell
by Charles Causley.

ClicketyClick
The WW2 Commonwealth Casualty Search Engine:
http://www.hut-six.c.../search39-47.php

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#11 suekeene

suekeene

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

I was looking up the history of Jack Cornwall and came across your site which I have now registered for. Has the Jack Cornwall plaque been found?

Sue

#12 Pete Keane

Pete Keane

• Registered Users
  • 750 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

No, I believe not - Mike would have let us know otherwise.

Regards

Pete Keane with an 'a'.

#13 ritsonvaljos

ritsonvaljos

• Registered Users
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

With increasing scrap metal prices any metal memorial plaque is increasingly at risk of being stolen. It is not just war memorials that are being stolen. I have read reports in the newspapers of churches losing lead roofing, metal railings etc. Really, anything that is made of metal is at risk from these characters if they can go on to sell the items as scrap metal.

The scrap metal value of a memorial plaque is still not going to be that high. Last year, for another WW2 forum, I wrote about the dedication of a WW2 memorial plaque near where I live. Within a matter of weeks I was informed by a relative who had went to look at this memorial it had 'disappeared' (i.e. stolen).

When I asked the person who had made the arrangements to get the memorial installed in the first instance what had happened, he told me it had been stolen. Eventually, he told me the memorial had turned up at a scrap metal merchant's about an hour's drive away. It was re-installed with some improved measures to prevent a further theft. I was asked not to write in detail about what had happened. This is why I have only given a brief outline as to what happened.

It really is sickening what some people will do for a few pounds. Stealing a war memorial is disrespectful to the memory of those it commemorates. In fact, it is really like the desecration of a grave.

If anyone is ever caught for stealing the Jack Cornwall VC memorial how severe would their sentence be? Would they be made to pay the full cost for the restoration of the memorial? One wonders ............. ?

#14 cash_13

cash_13

• Registered Users
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

Pikey's garrenteed....there thieving holds no bounds.....they will steal anything from anyone.......thats not to say others wouldn't but 99% it is even more so as its in Essex which raises the possibility... :mad111:
Family Cyril Claude Phillips Leading Stoker HMS Warspite

Grand Father Cyril George Pickford Private Royal Engineers

Great Grand Father George Pickford Private Royal Engineers

Great Uncle Harold Pickford Private Royal Army Service Corp

Grand Father Thomas Finney Seaman HMS Ramillies

Wifes Great Grandfather Major Charles Spurling

#15 ww2ni

ww2ni

• Registered Users
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Disgusting!!
http://www.ww2ni.webs.com - History within your grasp!

#16 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

A disgusting state of affairs. They are just thieving toe-rags and if found should be punished as such.

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#17 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Just come home after a few days in Scotland and sorry to say that as far as I know there has been no news of Cornwell's plaque.
Of course if I hear any thing I will post here.

#18 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

News on Cornwell Cottages:
I have heard that an organisation of Hornchurch businnesses, having heard about the theft, have arranged for some maintenance works and a replacement plaque.
As I understand it the metal railings have been stripped and repainted and I will advise when there is more news about the new plaque.

There are still some worthy people around

:)

#19 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

Some good news - and some not so good.
A new plaque has now been fitted (thanks to some generous Hornchurch businesses) but for some reason the reference to the VC has been omitted!
There is talk that the new plaque will be re-made with the reference to the decoration added.
Compare the new plaque below to the original in earlier post.

Attached Files

#20 Driver-op

Driver-op

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm really sickened by this. When I was a youngster I went to school in Leyton, Essex and a picture of Jorn Travers Cornwell hung in our school. His parents lived in Clyde Place, Leyton and I believe John was born their - he was very much a local hero. And to think some toerag would steal a memorial to such a young VC is so lamentable - I hope he rots in hell.

#21 ramacal

ramacal

336/102 LAA Regiment (7 Lincolns), RA

• Registered Users
  • 10,095 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

I'm really sickened by this. And to think some toerag would steal a memorial to such a young VC is so lamentable - I hope he rots in hell.

And so say all of us.:(

TAC14-VEHICLEMARKINGS_zpsfecb8ddc.jpg

#22 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Amen indeed Rob.

Any more progress and I will keep the forum updated.

Whilst I of course share the universal condemnation of the thieves I am heartened by the actions of those who have contributed to the replacement of the plaque, even if there is a slight error, and the proposed intention to correct it.

There are still some honourable people about!

#23 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,700 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

I have, many a time, made my feelings very clear on the disgust I feel towards those who would perpetrate crimes of this type.

I firmly believe that these crimes will continue until those who uphold the law in this country pass sentences that reflect the horror that is felt by all right minded people when memorials to the fallen are desecrated in this manner.

Ron

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users