• Registered Users
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Quite an odd combination...

http://www.hut-six.c...cgi-bin/faq.php
The WW2 Commonwealth Casualty Search Engine:
http://www.hut-six.c.../search39-47.php

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#2 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,697 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

Cheers that gave me a chuckle or three.
:)

If you have any questions about the forum don't ask me, ask Adam - von Poop

#3 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Registered Users
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Q "You have not mentioned the WW2 search engine. Is that to close down also?"
A This currently does a few things that the official version may not, so at the moment there are no plans to close this.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

#4 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,999 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

If it's just bollocks, then maybe it will return.

Lets hope so !

Posted Image

#5 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

Whatever happens, we'll always remember you, Jeff!

:D

#6 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

Posted Image

Have you only just put that page up? :huh:

Cake?

#7 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Beer, Chip butty and Dog's bollocks

Forgive this North American for asking, but what the hell is a chip butty and if this is on a menu in the U.K., it's easy to see why British cuisine never caught on!!

Oh, and is that in the correct order?:P

"When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me $85 dollars. That is why, in the Navy, the Captain goes down with the ship."

#8 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,157 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

Well Geoff, both you personally and the system have been of great assistance to me with my project and research and I thank you.

Let us see what the wind blows in with future developments!

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#9 wowtank

wowtank

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

Forgive this North American for asking, but what the hell is a chip butty and if this is on a menu in the U.K., it's easy to see why British cuisine never caught on!!

Gordon ramsay nuff said:lol:

#10 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Gordon ramsay nuff said:lol:

We call him Bleep Ramsay becasue every third word is a @#$$#@%#@!:huh:

"When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me $85 dollars. That is why, in the Navy, the Captain goes down with the ship."

#11 geoff501

geoff501

L = 0.5*Cl*ρ*V*V*a

• Registered Users
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image

Have you only just put that page up? :huh:

I just cannot believe that many Googled for 'chip butty' is so few hours.

(no, it's a script I put on a number of pages, so they get some stats, but unless there are loads of hits it does not appear in the ranked list)

"Well, the most important thing that was new was the idea of URI -- or URL. The idea that any piece of information anywhere should have an identifier, which will not only identify it, but allow you to get hold of it. That idea was the basic clue to the universality of the Web. That was the only thing I insisted upon." Tim Berners-Lee.

#12 KevinBattle

KevinBattle

• Registered Users
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Geoff, just to say "Thanks"
Your Search Engine made the search for casualties so much less of a chore than using the Debt of Honour site.
It made an easier job to find family, town and other links, others dying the same day and so much more versatility.
Fully understand your explanation, and done with typical self effacing humour.
I wish you well and will judge the "new" CWGC offering against the ease of yours.

#13 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

Geoff
it has been a valuable tool for me

Thank you

#14 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Geoff,

I for one will be sad to see the demise of your excellent site, it has been a great help over the past few years and I hope that the CWGC live up to your standards.

Regards
Peter

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#16 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Old Hickory Recon

• Registered Users
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

It is a french fry sandwich? :wow:

Y'all are killing me. :lol:

Geoff, I did not have pause to use your service, but I caught wind of several good members here who were quite enamored of it. Good job.

Warmest Regards,
Jeff

#17 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Geoff
Old chap thanks for running your search engine a very usefull tool in my research, I for one will be sad to see its demize

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#18 geoff501

geoff501

L = 0.5*Cl*ρ*V*V*a

• Registered Users
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

Nope, it didn't work :huh:

#19 WhiskeyGolf

WhiskeyGolf

• Registered Users
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

Tim you haven't lived until you've had a chip butty. And they have to be 'door stop' chips, not those little french fry things, with salt and vinegar in your butty! (For those who don't know what a 'butty' is, it's a 'sandwich' in polite terms) :D

#20 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Nope, it didn't work :huh:

:lol: Ditto

#21 Rich Payne

Rich Payne

Rivet Counter

• Registered Users
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationN.W Europe

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Geoff, I hope that you're going to stick around here as the resident prog-rock expert ! B)

Are CWGC going ahead with removing the possibility to hyperlink or did they make a tactical withdrawal on that one ?

#22 geoff501

geoff501

L = 0.5*Cl*ρ*V*V*a

• Registered Users
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Geoff, I hope that you're going to stick around here as the resident prog-rock expert ! B)

Prog-rock? Expert?

I'll still be here, have not given up - I'm in my 'Operation Dynamo' phase...

Are CWGC going ahead with removing the possibility to hyperlink or did they make a tactical withdrawal on that one ?

I believe they've now realized links have to stay.

#23 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Geoff,
Never used your search engine but I've heard it certainly is the danglies - so good CWGC had to take up on it. Well done mate.

Geoff doesen't brew beer, but if he did it would probably be....

Attached Files

#24 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

Tim you haven't lived until you've had a chip butty. And they have to be 'door stop' chips, not those little french fry things, with salt and vinegar in your butty! (For those who don't know what a 'butty' is, it's a 'sandwich' in polite terms) :D

Thanks Wendy

We too like our fresh cut fries with salt and vinegar. Catsup is an insult to good chips. Our American friends always look sideways when we ask for white vinegar for our fries.

The equivilent treat in Canada is a Quebec creation: Poutine
Attached File  2poutine.jpg   9.02K   5 downloads

In the basic recipe for poutine, french fries are topped with fresh cheese curds, and covered with brown gravy or sauce. The French fries are of medium thickness, and fried so that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crunchy. The gravy used is generally a light chicken, veal or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, originating in Quebec. Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. Fresh cheese curds (not more than a day old) are used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy is added immediately prior to serving the dish.

Edited by canuck, 26 February 2011 - 02:38 AM.
spelling

#25 Vitesse

Vitesse

• Registered Users
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Several Canadians of my acquaintance are of the opinion that poutine is a creation of the Devil himself and represents evil in its purest form.

Can't comment myself, as I've never tried it.

But IMHO chips taste best au naturel, eaten from the paper, seasoned with proper malt vinegar and heart-attack levels of salt, preferably accompanied by a hefty chunk of freshly-fried cod in crispy beer batter. Chip butty? Nah ...

#26 canuck

canuck

Token Colonial

• Registered Users
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Several Canadians of my acquaintance are of the opinion that poutine is a creation of the Devil himself and represents evil in its purest form.

Close to the truth.
Your arteries narrow and your heart rate increases simply by looking at it. Thankfully, I'm not all that fond of gravy so I rarely eat it.

#27 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:45 AM

My daughter always gets chicken gravy over her chips.

Quite popular here.

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#28 zerostate

zerostate

• Registered Users
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

What is all this talk of French fries? Chips are not the same thing at all - and by chips I don't mean crisps! ;)

In the basic recipe for poutine, french fries are topped with fresh cheese curds, and covered with brown gravy or sauce. The French fries are of medium thickness, and fried so that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crunchy. The gravy used is generally a light chicken, veal or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, originating in Quebec. Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. Fresh cheese curds (not more than a day old) are used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy is added immediately prior to serving the dish.

In England, gravy that goes on chips is gravy flavoured! :D

But IMHO chips taste best au naturel, eaten from the paper, seasoned with proper malt vinegar and heart-attack levels of salt, preferably accompanied by a hefty chunk of freshly-fried cod in crispy beer batter. Chip butty? Nah ...

Yes! With mushy peas and a saveloy! (Can't touch the fish myself as it causes illness).

#29 geoff501

geoff501

L = 0.5*Cl*ρ*V*V*a

• Registered Users
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationHut Six

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

Yes! With mushy peas ...

Don't mention peas, you'll get the Aussie on here telling us how Pie and Peas at Harry's Cafe De Wheels, Wooloomooloo, is so much better...

Attached Files

#30 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

Don't mention peas, you'll get the Aussie on here telling us how Pie and Peas at Harry's Cafe De Wheels, Wooloomooloo, is so much better...

Mushy peas on a pie - Never had one or seen one in Oz in my life.

Now a nice beefsteak pie, mashed potato, whole peas and gravy is a different matter.

Just made up my mind what I'm having for tea.

Cheers

Geoff

Spidge,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users