• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#121 singeager

singeager

• Registered Users
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys

Can any of you vehicle number experts shed any light on this image?

I think its BEF car, by the vehicle being a MK 1 scout car.

thanks

singe

Attached Files

:D50mph forward and 45mph backward at 4mpg.:huh:
www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk

#122 Rich Payne

Rich Payne

Rivet Counter

• Registered Users
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationN.W Europe

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

That's an odd one. Neither of the Arm of Service plates have corps or GHQ bars but '78' is too high a number for a division in 1940 and '13' doesn't seem to have been used at divisonal level after that.

The hollow circle suggests 'C' company or squadron of an armoured division.

The vegetation and surface scree don't immediately suggest any area of France or Belgium that I recognise from 1940 photographs. Could it be Crete ?

#123 Orwell1984

Orwell1984

• Registered Users
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi guys

Can any of you vehicle number experts shed any light on this image?

I think its BEF car, by the vehicle being a MK 1 scout car.

thanks

singe

The name of the jpg gives a clue to the location of the vehicle. It contains the phrase grecja41 which is Polish for "Greece41". So I think Rich may be on the right track with Crete or Greece as a location.

#124 Rich Payne

Rich Payne

Rivet Counter

• Registered Users
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationN.W Europe

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

The name of the jpg gives a clue to the location of the vehicle. It contains the phrase grecja41 which is Polish for "Greece41". So I think Rich may be on the right track with Crete or Greece as a location.

Doh, why didn't I notice that ? Too focussed on the AoS plates.:rolleyes:

#125 morrisc8

morrisc8

• Registered Users
  • 544 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Two photos from my original negs of a Humber car in German use [ WH ] as red cross veh. click image to enlarge.
Keith

Attached Files

#126 morrisc8

morrisc8

• Registered Users
  • 544 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Two more of a Humber car, from my collection.
Keith

Attached Files

#127 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

XBEF Bedford OS tipper , whch apart from crash damage looks almost new and a AEC Regal half cab coach , some of these coaches can be seen in the Pathe films OF BEF on Cherbourg quayside and a shot up Ford ( I think)
Craig

Attached Files

'' Where are the tommies? ...They have gone back to their island ''

#128 May1940

May1940

• Registered Users
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Strange collection Craig. I will have a look for the AEC coaches at Cherbourg.

I am not sure that the shot-up vehicle in the next picture is BEF. I think it may be French?

Finally the tipper looks like it may be in civilian colours. Given the German soldier could it be in Jersey?

Andrew

Edited by May1940, 07 December 2011 - 03:15 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To find out about the booklet 'Vehicles Markings of the BEF' please visit my website at http://befmay1940.webs.com/

#129 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

AEC coach / bus - when I first watched Pathe FILM 'Second BEF Back Home' SECOND BEF HOME AGAIN - British Pathe , couldn't work out why there was a random shot of the back of a British civilian coach in the en France part of the film . But noticed later British coaches are parked on the quayside in the French port. (maybe not Cherbourg ?)
The Bedford tipper- could be Jersey or a captured BEF newish one , believe BEF were taking new trucks straight off UK production lines.
Think your right wrecked truck looks French .
Craig

Attached Files

Edited by JCB, 07 December 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#130 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

The shot-up Ford looks like a WOT1 or WOT3 to me.

Chris

#131 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

A selection of BEF artillery and limbers and a solitary carrier (in Calais?)

Attached Files

#132 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Nice pics. The first shows a french 25mm AT gun in foreground with No 27 limbers behind and what looks to me like a couple of 18 pounders with Martin-Parry conversions behind them. They look too high off the ground for the normal pneumatic wheel versions and thus would be 18 pounders rather than 18/25, but that is only my humble opinion.

The second one shows a Scout Carrier with the armoured flap open at right rear.

Chris

#133 May1940

May1940

• Registered Users
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Nice pics. The first shows a french 25mm AT gun in foreground with No 27 limbers behind and what looks to me like a couple of 18 pounders with Martin-Parry conversions behind them. They look too high off the ground for the normal pneumatic wheel versions and thus would be 18 pounders rather than 18/25, but that is only my humble opinion.

The second one shows a Scout Carrier with the armoured flap open at right rear.

Chris

I agree Chris, they are 18 pounders. Bottom right there is also a rather distressed-looking 2 pounder anti-tank gun.

Andrew
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To find out about the booklet 'Vehicles Markings of the BEF' please visit my website at http://befmay1940.webs.com/

#134 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

Shame no markings visible.
Craig

#135 Rich Payne

Rich Payne

Rivet Counter

• Registered Users
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationN.W Europe

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm quite pleased with this photo, taken today. I might chance my luck on eBay with it ! :)

Posted Image

#136 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,404 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Where's the 'Now' pic to go with it? ;)

#137 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Need to take the wheels off :)

#138 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Background looks more like 1815 than 1940!
Chris

#139 Rich Payne

Rich Payne

Rivet Counter

• Registered Users
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationN.W Europe

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Background looks more like 1815 than 1940!
Chris

It was there in 1940 Chris :). There was no fighting although it must have been used as a vantage point as at 82m above sea-level, it is the highest point in the parish with views to Liege and Tienen.

This is my latest photo acquisition (not arrived yet) - A WD Norton 16H (what else ?) that has fallen into the wrong hands.

Posted Image

The 'K' would indicate Panzer Group Kleist and it looks to have a stencilled cross in a circle and I wonder if this is 13th Motorized Infantry Division who were involved at Calais ? They were back in Germany by July and the bike is not really modified yet so it is probably a June / July 1940 image.

#140 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Rich

I'm not disputing that the farm was there in 1940! Just goes to show that farm design in Northern France and Belgium hadn't changed a lot since Waterloo! Maybe it had been there since 1815.

Chris

#141 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

'' Morris 15cwts sir , 'undreds of 'em ''
Seen bits of this before but its now on Pathe as a continuous 5 mins of an infantry Battalion(?) passing through French (? )village in the rain , can't see any AOS numbers and all vehicles have headlights number plates and tax discs, so early days ? Wonder who they are ?
BRITISH EXPEDITIONARY FORCE IN FRANCE 1940 BRITISH REGIMENT PASS - British Pathé
Craig

Attached Files

Edited by JCB, 02 February 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#142 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I like that! There are some markings on the mudguards, but blowed if I can work out what they could be. The coloured mobilisation stripes seem to be on the passenger side wing, below what (if it didn't seem unlikely) could even be a blue and white Royal Signals AoS. Yes I know they wore black back then, and wouldn't have all those soggy squaddies marching. But are we downhearted? Clearly not.

Chris

#143 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yes if I was a French citizen I'd be quite impressed with this lot coming to my defence, they do look well equipped and quite chipper :) with John Cleese leading the gas caped marchers.
The marching crew carrying Mortars (?) don't look too happy though ! unsurprisingly .
Some good pics of the vehicles but as you say hard to make out any markings.
Craig

Attached Files

Edited by JCB, 03 February 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#144 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,404 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think I saw a HAC 223 on a carrier in the clip.

#145 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to Rich for highlighting this in the Pathe Cypriot Muleteers film , a good picture of a Bedford OY , early model with the civvy type twin wheels and something I haven't seen in this era before semaphore indicators.

Attached Files

Edited by JCB, 07 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#146 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Looking through the IWM pics by chance noticed earlier posts 141 & 143 with battalion passing through French village matches IWM film and photos , quote ,-

Vehicles belonging to 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers motor through the outskirts of the village of Gavrelle between Arras and Douai on a wet day - they comprise a single Humber (?) shooting brake staff car, a procession of Morris-Commercial trucks carrying stores and a detachment manning a Bren light machine gun on aircraft lookout duty and scout carriers. Soldiers from the Royal Irish Fusiliers are seen wearing waterproof capes and steel helmets as they march along in close order. They wave when they notice the camera. When the rain stops, they are seen marching along in the new British Army Battle Dress in single file on both sides of a country road. They are all wearing gas mask satchels on their chests.

Couldn't resist a couple of then and nows on the D33 in Gravelle , the pipe band is a IWM pic entitled
1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles march through Gavrelle in the pouring rain, 17 October 1939 , (sic)
looks like the same column as above , not much change in buildings with the modern signs pointing to Vimy and Arras-

Attached Files

Edited by JCB, 07 February 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#147 chrisgrove

chrisgrove

• Registered Users
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Several more comments on pics above. The RIrF column: there are a few 8cwt Morrises in the column (the ones with tilts); I see no Scout Carriers; several Bren Carriers (more appropriate to an Infantry battalion) and one still appears to show a Universal; and, most of the soldiers are wearing groundsheets as ponchos; to see the difference, look at the pipe band who are in gas capes.

The Bedford OY from the Cypriot mule thread is also interesting. The body has a metal brace on the third panel from the front, rising from front to back. I have another pic of the right hand side of a similar vehicle which has a brace on the second panel from the front rising from back to front. A drawing suggests that these vehicles had both braces on both sides, but I cannot see the front brace on the Cypriot one (the other one just might have one). Any comment from the experts or should I take it to a special vehicle site?

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove, 07 February 2012 - 04:47 PM.
spelling

#148 jetson

jetson

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I don't think the rather curious looking Tilling-Stevens Searchlight lorry has been mentioned previously in this thread. Some of them may possibly have been with the BEF. Even as a small boy in 1940, I vividly remember staring at one of these passing through our South Lincolnshire town because they looked so different to anything else! In the past, I sometimes thought I had dreamed the thing up but was reassured when, by chance, I saw a piccy of one on the web.

#149 JCB

JCB

• Registered Users
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I think the Tilling Stevens lorrys are incredibly interesting with drive axle electric motor powered via dynamo via the petrol engine so no gearbox required or searchlight generators . ( but then Mrs JCB has me down a total anorak !)
Years ahead of Toyota 'Pious' Hybrids!

Craig

Edited by JCB, 09 February 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#150 Alex Scott

Alex Scott

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Tilling Stevens, and several other companies were making petrol electric hybrids well before the first world war.

Edited by Alex Scott, 11 February 2012 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users