Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationChippenham, Wiltshire

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Apologies if mentioned before.

Just finished watching this.

BBC iPlayer - Sheffield - The Forgotten Blitz

Edited by nicks, 19 December 2010 - 02:15 PM.

He was a common, unconsidered man, who, for a moment of eternity, held the whole future of mankind in his two sweating hands.

And did not let it go.

(Excerpt from Fighter Pilot by ACM Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris GCB, OBE,DSO)

#2 Gage

Gage

• Super Moderators
  • 3,698 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

Watched when it was on and it was very interesting.

'There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!' Kenneth Lee - after being shot down on the 18th August 1940.

Andree Borrel (Denise) SOE

♫ Now wicked tongues can speak and rewrite history But you can't keep the truth contained And like the song was sung Realize we're one and we're here to stay 

#3 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,616 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

They covered this story live in Sheffield on Look North on the anniversary of the raid last week-The reporter didn't have a clue what she was talking about saying the raid happened in October and then appologised for saying it happened in November. The fact she was reporting live from City Hall where a function was being held to remember the raid on its anniversary might have been a good clue.

I was a bit confused by the 'new theory' they were bombing churches and hospitals rather than the steel works etc. and it was a terror raid rather than a strategic one when some on the programme were saying that bombing from some 10,000 feet was not that accurate.

Interesting none the less as I lived in Sheffield for nearly ten years.

#4 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Drew
Agree with you I watched it as well thought the commentator needed a proper briefing, enjoyed the actual interviews with people who could recall and the then and nows.
The steel works was a target for the bombers only the bombs have a habit of falling in the wrong place.

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#5 nicks

nicks

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationChippenham, Wiltshire

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

Overall I thought the programme was interesting and well put together, as Oldman says the 'Then and Knows' and interviews were the highlight.

As for the 'new theory' I do wonder whether the target maps have been interpreted correctly.

He was a common, unconsidered man, who, for a moment of eternity, held the whole future of mankind in his two sweating hands.

And did not let it go.

(Excerpt from Fighter Pilot by ACM Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris GCB, OBE,DSO)

#6 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,616 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

As for the 'new theory' I do wonder whether the target maps have been interpreted correctly.

Thats exactly what I thought Nicks. I suspect it was the other way around. The historian with the blonde highlighted hair didn't exactly inspire me with confidence that he knew what he was talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users