RAF Aircraft Losses WWII

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drailton

drailton

• Registered Users
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Can anyone please tell me if there were such things as reports on RAF aircraft losses in WWII and if so where I might find them. I have not found squadron ORBs to be of help.

#2 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

There are books on losses. Anything in particular?

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#3 drailton

drailton

• Registered Users
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Spidge,

Thank you for your reply. There are 5 losses of Sunderlands that I am interested in:
Sunderland DW106 270 Squadron 18 Dec 1943 on route from Pembroke Dock to Gibraltar
Sunderland ML811 302 FTU 3 June 1944 at Fernando Po on route from Apapa to Libreville
Sunderland EK585 270 Squadron 7 June 1944 caught fire at moorings Apapa
Sunderland DW108 270 Squadron Crashed at Jui 27 September 1944
Sunderland EJ164 270 Squadron Ditched 3 October 1944

David

#4 RAFCommands

RAFCommands

• Registered Users
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

No magic bullet publication for these losses has been published.

Form 1180 (Accident Card) may have been raised and held at RAFM Hendon but possibly not for operational losses.

Form 78 (Movement Card) will have been raised and held at RAFM Hendon which will confirm last known authority/unit for aircraft and approximate loss date.

ORBs for unit usually briefly mention loss but analysis of previous/post months will show absence of an aircraft serial/code as well as abscence of a crew without corresponding post out.

ORBs for group will show tasking/aircraft code for operational loss which can be linked back to unit ORB

CWGC database search tool from Geoff will give graves for unit/date which can be eliminated for other units/losses to give probable crew.

Finally write it all up to save others the ball ache of going through the primary records.

Regards
Ross

#5 spidge

spidge

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 11,175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Spidge,

Thank you for your reply. There are 5 losses of Sunderlands that I am interested in:
Sunderland DW106 270 Squadron 18 Dec 1943 on route from Pembroke Dock to Gibraltar
Sunderland ML811 302 FTU 3 June 1944 at Fernando Po on route from Apapa to Libreville
Sunderland EK585 270 Squadron 7 June 1944 caught fire at moorings Apapa
Sunderland DW108 270 Squadron Crashed at Jui 27 September 1944
Sunderland EJ164 270 Squadron Ditched 3 October 1944

David

Hi David,

I misunderstood your question.

The explanation from Ross would be your best road to take, however if you can put an RAAF lad on board, there will be a report.

There seems to have been RAAF lads on your first query but not on the others.

BARBER, CHARLES ALBERT MARK Flight Sergeant 409883 270sq RAF 18/12/1943

CHAPMAN, NEIL PROCTER Pilot Officer 411629 270sq RAF 18/12/1943

These two lads were both part of the crew.

There were 19 persons on this Aircraft including the crew.

The full information is here:

Sparkes

There is a thread running here on Fernando Po which will should hopefully give you the answer on the 2nd!

http://www.ww2talk.c...html#post320564

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by spidge, 01 December 2010 - 10:21 PM.

Spidge,

My project is the collection of over 11,400+ RAAF Headstone/Memorial photos located in 70 countries during WW2 and the 360+ from WW1. Can you assist? Do you know someone that can?
-------------------------------------------------------
My Signature photo is the Battalion history of WW2 and the patch of the 2/8th battalion. (Blood & Bandages)
My Avatar is my dad, Gunner Frederick Edwin Swallow "C" Company, 2/8th Battalion, 19th Brigade, 6th Division AIF. Critically wounded on the first attack on Tobruk, January 21st 1941.

#6 drailton

drailton

• Registered Users
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Geoff and Ross,
Thanks for your replies. I think that I have taken it as far as I can without specific reports into these losses. I have the relevant ORBs and CWGC information and some limited information from squadron members from that time. I have been a participant in the Fernando Po thread and most of what I have got is posted there. I may well try Hendon.
David

#7 Glenn BoB

Glenn BoB

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Would any of the books by W R Chorley about RAF losses be of help here?

#8 drailton

drailton

• Registered Users
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

As far as I know his books are all about Bomber Command losses while my interest is in Coastal Command.

#9 sirjahn

sirjahn

• Registered Users
  • 134 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Sorry to wake up this old thread but my question is similar to the OPs.  I am trying to find out more information about this incident on D-Day.

Night 5/6 June During the night a number of aircraft were lost to reasons other than enemy fire. Aboard a 75 Squadron Lancaster, Flight Sergeant W E Barker witnessed a mid-air collision between two Halifaxes.

75 Squadron was converting to Halifax IIIs at the time and I would like to confirm that the aircraft were from 75 Squadron, where they went down and the names of the crew members.

Edited by sirjahn, 16 April 2014 - 05:14 PM.

Dale
USA LTC Retired

#10 PeteT

PeteT

• Registered Users
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have had a quick look at the night raid report and it shows 6 bombers missing, plus 1 crash landing and 1 taxiing accident on 5th / 6th June.

The loss cards do not include any losses for 75 Squadron.The only two Halifax losses on the night appear to be from 76 and 578 squadron

Also, my understanding is that the squadron flew Stirling before converting to Lancaster, so not sure that the squadron "were converting to Halifax" at the time.

Are you able to provide any more detail from your source?.

Regards

Pete

Researching:

#11 sirjahn

sirjahn

• Registered Users
  • 134 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

In looking back through my probably sources I must have jotted down the Halifax information wrong as all of them clearly say they were running Lancasters.  Mea Culpa

That said my goal was to find information on 75 Squadron losses on D-Day trying to find F/LT Bruce Cowie NZ417029.  I am beginning to think he must not have been in the bombers.  Which means he might have been in 485 (Spitfires) or 486 (Typhoons) Squadron.  He could have been in the 487 Squadron but I don't think any Mosquitoes went down on D-Day in that area.

Dale
USA LTC Retired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users