• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gthenry

gthenry

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

My father S/L EJ Henry NZ40973 served with RAF during WW2 as a pilot during the period 1941 - 44 and served on 53, 62 and 353 Sqns.
At considerable expense I applied to the RAF disclosures dept for a copy of my fathers personal file (P/F) and received a copy of of my fathers RAF service record which I found to less than satisfactory in that it didn't provide any personal data e.g. correspondence, letters, reports etc. that a P/F would have in it.
I know my father crashed on several occasions and would have expected some reports to be on a file plus other correspondence .
My question is; Is the service record the only file the RAF have or is there a comprehensive P/F somewhere in an Archive which I can obtain a copy of?
I don't believe I obtained value for money I spent on the service record I obtained in comparison to the service I received from the RNZAF for the same information request.

GTH

#2 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,820 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

GTH

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you contacted the various Squadron Associations that you detailed?

In my experience, Squadron Associations have lots of detailed info and more particularly can put one in touch with former associates with knowledge of the incidents such as the ones you mention.

In my own case, 166 Squadron, Bomber Command, gave me invaluable info and provided me with addresses of former crew members of my late brother.

Regards

Ron

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#3 DaveB

DaveB

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

I assume NZ40973 means he was a member of the RNZAF serving in RAF units. If it is anything like the way records were handled for RAAF members in RAF units, then all records were sent to the actual service at the end of the war.

RAAF pers files include RAF records of injuries etc.

Have you got his RNZAF records??

#4 gthenry

gthenry

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for your prompt responses.

Ron, I'm just starting and had not considered contacting the respective squadron associations as I thought they were only a contact group for ex members and not a repository of personal data. However I will contact them to see if they can be of assistance.

Dave B. Yes he was a NZ'r who served with the RAF. I have the RNZAF P/F which have every thing prior his departure to the RAF and everything after his return to the RNZAF. However, there is a total blank for the 3 1/2 year period he was with the RAF apart from the basic 2 page service record which doesn't give in depth info

He was part of a detachment that was sent from 53 Sqn in England to reinforce 62 Sqn in Singapore. He was involved in several actions whilst operating from Singapore and from, following the withdrawal to, Palembang 2 and eventually by ship to India.
I have read a book by an Australian, who was part of the same reinforcing unit and subsequent rear guard actions following the the fall of Singapore and Indonesia The guy was a Terence O'Brien and his book was "Chasing after Danger" I got a lot of info from this book but it's not the official data I'm looking for

GTH

#5 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to the forum,

Do you have the following info?

30 October 1941

53 Squadron
Hudson PZ-H

Crew.
P/O. Henry.
F/S. R W. Gellard DFM
Sgt. Davy
Sgt. Turner

53 Squadrons first success against the U-boat came on 30 October 1941 when P/O. Henry and crew picked a blip on their ASV radar and found a U-boat on the surface. the aircraft dived from 600 feet and at 300 feet released three depth-charges, estimating a hit. Just as the depth-charges exploded an aircraft appeared below the Hudson, it was Catalina z/209 which also attacked the U-boat with two depth-charges. Between them they had damaged U 81 which was forced the return to Brest for repairs.

Extracts from 'United in Effort' - J. Manson / 'Search Find And Kill' - N. Franks

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#6 Vitesse

Vitesse

• Registered Users
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Picking up on DaveB's comment, perhaps it's possible that the records made it to New Zealand but were never collated? This news article suggests that perhaps RNZAF record-keeping wasn't as good as RAAF:

Historian slams Air Force record keeping | Stuff.co.nz

I found this by googling "Errol Martyn", who is probably the man to contact.:)

#7 gthenry

gthenry

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Peter, no I didn't know of this incident.

Vitesse, You've given me another avenue to research.

Thanks

Edited by gthenry, 23 October 2010 - 06:41 PM.
Corrections

#8 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

He was part of a detachment that was sent from 53 Sqn in England to reinforce 62 Sqn in Singapore.

GTH

Reinforcements of Hudson III's from 53 Squadron to 62 Squadron Singapore. Friday 16 January 1942......

Hudson V9120 - S/L. L G W Lilly.
Hudson AE583 - F/L. T R. Burne
Hudson V9129 - F/O. E J. Henry RNZAF
Hudson AE493 - P/O. P M. Bonn
Hudson AE592 - P/O. J S. Robinson
Hudson AE521 - P/O. R A C. Johnson
Hudson V9224 - P/O.W T. de R Waters DFC
Hudson AE537 - P/O. S D. Mayhew
Hudson AE602 - P/O. F C R. Matson
Hudson V9233 - P/O. P. Anderson
Hudson V9153 - P/O. M J. Horsey
Hudson AE607 - P/O. A G S. Oldworth
Hudson V9180 - P/O. L. Hayton
hudson AE495 - Sgt. D S. Hunter RNZAF

Three reached as far as Burma......

Hudson AM94 - P/O. P E. Springman
Hudson AE486 - P/O. P/O. F W. Letchford
Hudson AE562 - P/O. A O. Hawkins RNZAF

Route taken - UK - Gibraltar - Malta - Cairo - Habbaniya - Sharjah - Karachi - Jodhpur - Akyab - Toungoo - Rangoon - Tengah.

Details from ' Bloody Shambles' - Shores/Cull/Izawa.

Edited by Peter Clare, 23 October 2010 - 09:51 PM.

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#9 gthenry

gthenry

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Peter
Ref: Info from a email found on the net when searching for "Terence O'Brien"

I've added some further info I've found with regard to this reinforcement flight to Singapore.
Also, is there any way of collating Sqn aircraft ID numbering to aircraft serial number?
Garth

Reinforcements of Hudson III's from 53 Squadron to 62 Squadron Singapore. Friday 16 January 1942......

Hudson V9120 - S/L. L G W Lilly.
Hudson AE583 - F/L. T R. Burne Severely wounded 7/2/1942
Hudson V9129 - F/O T.P O'Brien
Hudson AE529 - F/O. E J. Henry RNZAF
Hudson AE493 - P/O. P M. Bonn Killed in action 21/2/1942
Hudson AE592 - P/O. J S. Robinson Killed in action 14/2/1942
Hudson AE521 - P/O. R A C. Johnson Killed in action 14/2/1942
Hudson V9224 - P/O.W T. de R Waters DFC Killed in action 26/1/1942
Hudson AE537 - P/O. S D. Mayhew Killed in action 1944
Hudson AE602 - P/O. F C R. Matson Killed in action 14/2/1942
Hudson V9233 - P/O. P. Anderson Shot down 14/2/1942 POW
Hudson V9153 - P/O. M J. Horsey
Hudson AE607 - P/O. A G S. Oldworth
Hudson V9180 - P/O. L. Hayton
hudson AE495 - Sgt. D S. Hunter RNZAF Killed in action 4/2/1942

Three reached as far as Burma......

Hudson AM94 - P/O. P E. Springman
Hudson AE486 - P/O. P/O. F W. Letchford
Hudson AE562 - P/O. A O. Hawkins RNZAF

Route taken - UK - Gibraltar - Malta - Cairo - Habbaniya - Sharjah - Karachi - Jodhpur - Akyab - Toungoo - Rangoon - Tengah.

Details from ' Bloody Shambles' - Shores/Cull/Izawa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users