Photo
- - - - -

Postwar Civil & Civilian use of WW2 Vehicles.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,096 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Didn't we have a thread about this?
Anyone know where it might be?

Seem to recall Shervicks, Fire service Halftracks, and that Matador bus... but may be wrong. There was one on WW2F, but I'm sure I put some pictures on there that were taken from things I originally posted here... Unless it was just one of those pleasant diversions the 'Name that Vehicle thread used to throw out.

Shervick:
Posted Image

An ex-Matador:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Some pleasing US Fire trucks:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Really pleasing German Fire service Kettenkrad:
Posted Image

~A

Cake?

#2 sol

sol

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image

'The position as I see it at present could not possibly be worse and therefore inevitably must get better.'

Colonel Norman Eustace DSO,
OC 2/5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force), Ningthoukhong, 12th June 1944

#3 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 24,518 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Isn't there a DUKW on the Seine in Paris, I'm sure I saw one when I was there the other year.

#4 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,116 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

lots of ex-military lorries in civie use on this site.
Truck Photos - Years
look at the 1940s pics.

Been searching for that thread but can't find it either, probably spread over whole forum.
I have a book on old Royal Mail vehicles & they used lots of ex-military lorries postwar.

If you have any questions about the forum don't ask me, ask Adam - von Poop

#5 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

Yep, the Shervick pic was on a thread I started ages ago, looking for a pic of one
A great soldier once said -
“What? Oh, nonsense, Benton. I tell you that's a beach out there. It's probably Norfolk or somewhere like that… See that nobody wanders in. We can't have the place overrun with holiday makers. I'll nip out, find a phone and tell the authorities exactly where we are. I'm fairly sure that's Cromer. Back in a jiff.”

#6 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

Interestingly - a lot of postwar use simply was never photographed, because it wasn't glamorous enough - but was still vital.

I was reading last month's CMV when I came across an anecdote about a guy that in 1945-46 was buying up ex-Army Bedford trucks and cut the cab end off them to make them into farm trailers...

He was buying them surplus at ten shillings a dozen....!
“What? Oh, nonsense, Benton. I tell you that's a beach out there. It's probably Norfolk or somewhere like that… See that nobody wanders in. We can't have the place overrun with holiday makers. I'll nip out, find a phone and tell the authorities exactly where we are. I'm fairly sure that's Cromer. Back in a jiff.”

#7 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

One of THE most novel uses of military vehicles postwar was the old Century theatre, the "Blue Box" Theatre" in Keswick in the Lake District. The Blue Box Theatre Company was formed in 1952 and turned England with a portable theatre/stage/dressing rooms that looked like a group of school "portable classrooms" sitting six feet or so off the ground.....but when you looked behind the hoardings, the whole thing - a folding, concertina-like auditorium - was sitting on the flatbeds of a couple of dozen old AEC Matadors and other assorted lorries, prime movers and generator trucks! :) The Blue Box Company first toured in Keswick in 1961, kindling the idea of a permanent theatre in the town for the summer tourist season....but instead of building one - the Blue Box theatre came to a halt there in 1975 for the next two and a half decades!

Sadly - over ten years ago now the original "theatre" and all its old rusting lorries and movers were done away with, and the funds raised for a completely new theatre, the "Theatre By The Lake"....but somehow it just doesn't have the novelty of the earlier Army Surplus confection!

HOWEVER - the Century Theatre with its novel collapsible/folding structure designed by John Ridley was actually rescued from the scrapheap and is again in a fixed location - in Coalville in Leicestershire!

Posted Image

Edited by phylo_roadking, 15 October 2010 - 12:47 AM.

#8 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Back in the late 60's Wm Press had a fleet of Brown and Cream AEC Matadors they usedthem for off road work whilst laying a North Sea Gas pipe across Yorkshire, a lot went into the forestry/timber business and ended up being converted to to loggers by a firm called Douglas.Bedfords every coal merchant and local transport company had these vehicles some working well into the seventies.

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#9 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

3 scans from books on post-war Royal Mail vehicles.
Two from book called Royal Mail Trucks In Britian by Roundoak Publishing.
The bike is an ex-para folding bike
One from booklet by Post Office Vehicle Club published 1972 for ex-military vehicles used by Post Office Telephones

Attached Files

Edited by Owen, 15 October 2010 - 08:40 AM.
dodgey scan replaced

#10 Richard Harrison

Richard Harrison

• Registered Users
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

T16 being used as a very top heavy ship to shore transporter at blackpool beach

BLACKPOOL (issue title PATHE PICTORIAL GOES TO THE SEASIDE) - British Pathe

also on the theme of carriers i am sure i saw a photo of one jacked up being used to drive an ice cream maker !

#11 Vitesse

Vitesse

• Registered Users
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Army surplus of all sorts was useful in early post-war motor sport. A lot of ex-services motorbikes were broken up to build 500cc racers and ex-military Mercury engines were also used in several "specials" in Britain, Australia and elsewhere (and I believe in some racing boats too).

Ex-German matériel was also employed: this is the Steyr-Allard, which employs a 3.7 litre Steyr truck engine - built in 1947, it was very successful in hillclimbs and sprints. Still exists today.
Posted Image

There was also this "wilfull but effective" little monster, built in Australia by one Ray Mitchell and called the Jeep-Ford Special. Two Jeep chassis welded together and propelled by a 3.6 litre Ford V8:

Posted Image

Again in Australia (although this picture was taken fairly recently at Goodwood), there was the Maybach Special. This uses a Maybach engine supposedly salvaged from a German scout car in the Western Desert and taken to Oz for study.

1946 Maybach Special Mk 1 - Images, Specifications and Information

Posted Image

And finally, a couple of unusual uses for aero-engines. This is the Triangle Flying Saucer which started life as a Daimler scout car before having a Rolls Royce Kestrel rudely inserted.

Posted Image

But for sheer terror, I doubt you can beat the Swandean Spitfire Special. Yep - that's a Merlin he's sitting behind!

Posted Image
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.classiccar.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/Allard-fq-colour.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.classiccar.co.nz/page/308&usg=__ifZczx9swtGt4CcfYOltJwpZ9Lg=&h=290&w=432&sz=36&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=WsP_l-NFj-nI-M:&tbnh=157&tbnw=234&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSteyr-Allard%26hl%3Den%26rls%3D%257Bmoz:distributionID%257D:%257Bmoz:locale%257D:%257Bmoz:official%257D%26biw%3D1020%26bih%3D607%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C244&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=369&vpy=169&dur=1724&hovh=184&hovw=274&tx=172&ty=94&ei=VRe4TK_hHI6P4Aa4z7mdDg&oei=XhW4TLvaMtP84Aak4ITyDQ&esq=7&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&biw=1020&bih=607

#12 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,096 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Those remind me of the 'Belly Racers' that cropped up in the Strange Vehicles thread.
Drop-tanks converted to form bodies for little racing cars.
Belly Tank Salt Flat Racers

Still apparently in military service, but helping out at a civil event -shot of a Bergepanther working in 1958 from that Czech Panthers site:

"Vyprosťovací Panther intervenes in train accidents in 1958, when a passenger train crashed into a river Smedt podmytého steep slope of dažďami.Tragédia took place between the track and Libercem Frýdlantem under Frýdlantský castle in Bohemia"
http://en.valka.cz/f..._s.army_148.jpg

Cake?

#13 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

By bruv just commented on this pic on Facebook so thought I'd nick it & post here.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ql.jpg   101.68K   17 downloads

#14 Dave55

Dave55

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia. USA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Came across this neat video

Wynns Diamond T and Pacific heavy trucks - YouTube

Dave
"Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" Todd Beamer, Sept 11, 2001

#15 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,096 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Few more shots of Wynns postwar M25/26 here, Dave:
WW2Talk - M26 'Dragon wagon'

Cake?

#16 Dave55

Dave55

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Excellent.

Thanks very much!

#17 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Looks good:
FRITUUR ZORRO
FRITUUR ZORRO Page Samples
WW2 Vehicles pictured in the 70s.

Cake?

#18 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Just found some lovely photos here.
B-20948 a recabbed US build GMC, in the middle a Ford F60 CMP truck and on the right a German made Opel Blitz 3 tonner. All sitting very peacefully in one company forecourt. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#19 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,174 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

From an earlier post of mine.

SdKfz 251 Chassis.

http://www.ww2talk.c...51-chassis.html

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#20 londoner

londoner

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

The builders merchant I worked for operated at least three of these ex army WW2 wreckers, this one still in use in the 1970s. David
ps it is a Scammell not as the image label.

Attached Files

Edited by londoner, 23 September 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#21 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Just googling round I saw....THIS!!! :P A de-clawed panther? :(

Posted Image

#22 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Swords into ploughshares...?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Jl1KaUmTlmd8UzyGVtYbZhIyBi99GqVQ1HlG1qAtLUP27pSaCa1liaWQTw

#23 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here's a Jeep-towed hay baler in New Zealand...

Posted Image

#24 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Took ages to find this; I knew it had existed, but didn't know if there were pics of it - an Australia Matilda converted postwar...

Posted Image

It was a brilliant piece of recycling....

• Home made blade
  • The trunions for the blade were made from cannon barrels
  • The trunion caps were cannon barrell counterweights
  • The top skid bars for the tracks have been replaced with rollers
  • Excess armour has been removed
  • Plough disks and scraper bars have been attached to the sprocket drive to stop sand entering the final drive seals.
  • The original Wilson Power Shift transmission has had some the the spacer planetarys replaced with cogs. Some of the planetary gears had two planet cogs and two spacer blocks. The two cogs sometimes broke, but with 4 planet cogs there were no further problems.
  • The fuel tank was from a General Grant tank
  • The canopy was made from Bren Gun Carrier axles
  • The engine is half a GM 6-71 twin pack engine set (still with transfer case) from a Grant tank.
  • The second engine has been replaced with the hydraulic pump
  • The hydraulic ram was home made
!!!

Interesting to see the top line of the track run revealed....

#25 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Another one I KNEW there had to be pics of - the famous Red Sherman converted to pull a plough in the soft farmland of the Lincolnshire Fens....

Posted Image

#26 Dave55

Dave55

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Another one I KNEW there had to be pics of - the famous Red Sherman converted to pull a plough in the soft farmland of the Lincolnshire Fens....

Posted Image

Very nice.

I wonder how many plow blades it could pull?

Looks like it might have the Continental engine, judging from the deck height. (which makes it even cooler, of course.)

#27 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Here's a Wiki one - the converted Stuart tank belonging to Thomas Moore, Meenaar, Western Australia in 1951...

Posted Image

#28 Dave55

Dave55

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Words fail. :)

#29 SDP

SDP

• Registered Users
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Words fail. :)

z-6rvEvc3IE

If they can do that with old Stuart chassis, what would they make of a Challenger 2 ?

#30 phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

I wonder how many plow blades it could pull?

Dave, it's been ten years or so now since I saw it on a short tv documentary, and I sadly can't remember...but in googling for it I came across some HUGE plough-and-harrow arrays being pulled by crawlers and caterpillers! Look at the Stuart tank in Western Australia, for instance...

In this case, however, I DO remember that while the plough wasn't THAT large - the virtue of the converted Sherman in the Fens wasn't in the number of furrows it could plough at once, but the weight distribution of the plot on soft going ;)

Edited by phylo_roadking, 18 September 2012 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users