• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tonyv

tonyv

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hello everyone. I found this site via a Google search entitled "281 LAA Battery RA". My father commanded a troop comprising 6 mobile guns in this battery until 1943 when he transferred to become a gunnery training officer. I'm just starting looking into his war service so know very little about it at this time. He enlisted in Leicester and at one stage was in North Africa and then "The Holy Land" as it was then called, before returning to the UK.

I know that he used Bofors AA guns but other than that pretty much nothing else i.e. where the battery served etc.

I look forward to hearing what the experts on this forum advise. Incidentally I shall be asking for his war service record as I am his next of kin but this may take months to arrive.

All the best

#2 Kieron Hill

Kieron Hill

• Registered Users
  • 768 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum, you've come
to the right place we have some members here
that are very up on their artillery units I am
sure they will be along soon to help you out.

#3 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,769 posts
  • LocationFremantle, West Australia

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Welcome to the forum

Cheers
Paul

:poppy: In memory of all those of the Recce Regiments who lost their lives in World War 2 :poppy:

#4 bofors

bofors

• Registered Users
  • 653 posts
  • LocationMaryborough

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi Tony

Welcome and yes the best source of information is his service records.
My Dad was with the 14th LAA using bofors.
If you use the search button up top here and put in bofors it will bring up a heap of threads. There is some interesting ones on bofors, about their use etc and even a few views of them firing. Mainly in here - http://www.ww2talk.c...logy-equipment/
I have posted my Father's service records and Unit War Diary summary here -
http://www.ww2talk.c...ce-records.html
SO it will give you an understanding of what you will get.
Here is a bit on the bofors - RA 1939-45 40mm Bofors

regards

Robert

Edited by bofors, 12 August 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Remembering
My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.
also Qx46115 Craftsman Clement Charles Flanders 219 L.A.D.

#5 Derek Barton

Derek Barton

• Registered Users
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hi Tony and welcome. 281 Bty were part of 86 LAA Regt. A quick search through my library gives locations for 1943 as follows:

Jan 43 - 21 AA Brigade Port Said, Suez, Suez Canal & Cairo
May 43 - AA Defence Area Cyrenaica, 1 AA Bde - Benghazi landing grounds

I'm afraid I can't find anything earlier but will keep looking.

#6 CL1

CL1

• Registered Users
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

welcome to the forum

#7 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hi Tony and welcome.
You will find a lot of interest and much expert input from LAA experts and vets here and are definately in the right place for research. Unfortunately I know bugger all about LAA but good luck mate.

Mike

#8 Peter Clare

Peter Clare

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Peter

In remembrance of my father Sgt S. Clare R.A.F Missing from operations 13th August 1942. Never Known, Forever Loved.

#9 tonyv

tonyv

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

Thanks to everyone for their welcome messages and particularly to Robert and Derek for their specific help; I did the Bofors search as suggested and read quite a lot of the threads. These seem to be missing their attachments e.g. photographs etc. which is a pity although I guess that file space is a consideration.

My father told me that during the war he had two particularly good mates Bob and Les "Dicky" Bird. However while in North Africa the regiment was divided, with part going off to Italy and the remainder, including my father, were shipped back to England. But his two mates drew short straws and he never saw them again. Some 25 years later I started a new job in London and on my first day there was introduced to the job by a man called Les Bird who had an artificial leg. After the induction he told me that he had served with someone with my surname. He turned out to be the same Les. He told me that while in Italy he served as a liaison officer with an American tank unit shelling a German held town. The Germans were using multiple barrelled mortars called "Moaning Minis" because of the sound they made as they flew towards you. On hearing a salvo heading in their direction the tank commander closed the tank hatch and Les dived underneath the stationary tank, Unfortunately for him one of the mortars followed him under and blew his leg off. He was saved by the tank commander who fortunately gave him enough morphine to prevent gross shock and not too much to kill him (easily done!). I don't think that my father ever got that close to live action but Les was not resentful and indeed spent some time as a guinea pig for new prostheses designed and made at Roehampton. I could see why my father liked him. But what a coincidence!

#10 Oggie2620

Oggie2620

• Registered Users
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBury St Edmunds

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to the forum. Good story Tony. You are right about the records taking some time. They are snowed under with people requesting records at the moment. Come back to the guys on here once you get it. Did you request a photocopy rather than transcription...
Dee

#11 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,821 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

TonyV

Welcome aboard from an ex-LAA man.

Getting your dad's records is definitely the best step so apply and then while away the time by reading and posting on this forum.

Good luck in your research !

Ron

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#12 bofors

bofors

• Registered Users
  • 653 posts
  • LocationMaryborough

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hi Tony

I found this on the 86 LAA - RA 1939-45 86 LAA

regards

Robert
Remembering
My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.
also Qx46115 Craftsman Clement Charles Flanders 219 L.A.D.

#13 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Tony,

Just read your post and yes it was a real coincidence meeting your fathers friend.
It is nice to get those kind of experiences in life.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#14 ramacal

ramacal

336/102 LAA Regiment (7 Lincolns), RA

• Registered Users
  • 10,209 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Found a casualty for 281 Battery/86 LAA in Italy. Checked the NA for a war dairy and nothing showed up. Did not think they were there, so may be incorrect on the CWGC database.

Name: EVANS, LLEWELYN WALTER JOSEPH
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
Unit Text: 281/86 Lt. A.A. Regt.
Date of Death: 13/09/1944
Service No: 217035
Additional information: Son of Hugh Llewelyn Evans and Edith Evans; husband of Irene Margaret Evans, of Leatherhead, Surrey. B.A., Hons. (Oxon.).
Grave/Memorial Reference: XVIII, H, 10.
Cemetery: CORIANO RIDGE WAR CEMETERY

TAC14-VEHICLEMARKINGS_zpsfecb8ddc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users