163 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

As someone who has a foot in both camps, I make a point of occasionally looking in on ww2f just to see what they are getting up to.

Yesterday, on ww2f, I spotted this thread: WW2F or WW2Talk? - World War II Forums and after adding my own comment, wondered how many other forum members of this site have looked to see if the grass was greener on the other side.

I have to immediately declare that, having posted here for some time, I have no reservations at all regarding which is the better site for me.

I can understand, however, the probable appeal of ww2f to our American cousins.

Any comments ?

Ron

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#2 soren1941

soren1941

Living in Ypres

• Registered Users
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

I had a similar quandary as a nipper at my all-boys school, don't do it, you will regret it for the rest of your life<O:p</O:p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Sample 'Michael Wittmann'
Passchendaele Prints ~ WW1 & WW2 themed prints
http://passchendaeleprints.com/

I begin with the principle that all men are bores. Surely no one will prove himself so great a bore as to contradict me in this.
Soren Kierkegaard

#3 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

He wouldn't be allowed on here, he's 12.

#4 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thank you for introducing us to the kindergarten-waffle-post inflation thread, Ron :D

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#5 marcus69x

marcus69x

I love WW2 meah!!!

• Registered Users
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

I'm also a member over there too but don't venture over there much.
Nice, however, to see we are spoken highly of over there.

Better than seeing the 'we're better than them' types.

#6 Phaethon

Phaethon

Historian

• Registered Users
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

If we're talking about post-inflation...

Attached Files

Researcher: 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards (1939-1945)
France(1939-1940)North Africa(1942-1944)Italy(1944-1945)

2nd Battalion on Facebook

#7 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,303 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Sorry :unsure:.

Cake?

Any questions about life, the Universe and everything else; ask Owen, he loves all that stuff.

#8 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,403 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

:lol:

I think an exception could be made for her ????

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33853&d=1281090954

#9 Swiper

Swiper

Resident Sospan

• Registered Users
  • 805 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

It reminds me of the never said 'Mustang-lube' joke I roll out to Americans when they say how amazing the Mustang was...
www.53rdwelshdiv.webs.com - For all you're 53rd Welsh Divisions needs... (Still Under Construction)
Never forget to keep the Sospan from the King...

#10 Heimbrent

Heimbrent

• Registered Users
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Choosing to buy iron crosses instead of weed at thirteen years of age, wow, that's... mature.

#11 Phaethon

Phaethon

Historian

• Registered Users
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

And just to lower the maturity rating of this site...

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33858&d=1281098000

Attached Files

Edited by Phaethon, 06 August 2010 - 12:35 PM.

Researcher: 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards (1939-1945)
France(1939-1940)North Africa(1942-1944)Italy(1944-1945)

2nd Battalion on Facebook

#12 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Give me an Me-109 over both of em!!! :P

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#13 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,461 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

It reminds me of the never said 'Mustang-lube' joke I roll out to Americans when they say how amazing the Mustang was...

The Mustang was designed and buit to a British Specification.:)

Does that make any difference:D

It certainly made a difference with a RR engine.;)

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#14 wtid45

wtid45

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

I think this post from Michelle who is very knowledgable despite what she says;) over at WW2F says it all. <TABLE id=post510894 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=alt2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>macruskPosted Image Posted Image<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_510894", true); </SCRIPT>
Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Oct 2007
Salute!: 291
Saluted 301 Times in 182 Posts
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD id=td_post_510894 class=alt1><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->Posted Image Re: WW2F or WW2Talk?
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b2b2b2; COLOR: #b2b2b2" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->My knowledge base is more UK/European particularly re Canadian Forces so you'd think I would be more comfortable at WW2Talk, but I this was the first Forum I ever joined, and the Mods and Rogues charmed me so I predominantly stay here!Posted Image

I enjoy both Forums, but there is a different level of interaction that can happen here. As some have said, there is a general expert level on the other Forum that has me intimidated to post often. I've also not quite found my comfort zone in navigating about, however as mentioned there are many members on both Forums and they make those who are serious about WWII discussions very welcome.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
<!-- / sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
BORN BRITISH, WELSH BY THE GRACE OF GEOGRAPHY!

#15 Swiper

Swiper

Resident Sospan

• Registered Users
  • 805 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

The Mustang was designed and buit to a British Specification.:)

Does that make any difference:D

It certainly made a difference with a RR engine.;)

Regards
Tom

It does make a difference, that 'lubes' them up for the hilarious tirade that follows :P

I say hilarious, it has managed to suitably cockblock a couple of hippies :o
www.53rdwelshdiv.webs.com - For all you're 53rd Welsh Divisions needs... (Still Under Construction)
Never forget to keep the Sospan from the King...

#16 Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks chaps !
I always knew I would get a serious discussion on this site :)

Ron

Edited by Ron Goldstein, 06 August 2010 - 02:16 PM.

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel circa 30 BCE

:peepwalla:

I was "called-up", as a 19 year old, on the 1st of Oct 1942 and was one of 5 serving brothers, one of whom, Jack, was in RAF Bomber Command and was killed on March 16th 1945.

I served as a Driver/Op (Wireless Operator) with the 49th Light Anti Aircraft Rgt. (78 Div) from Apr 1943 to Dec 1944 (North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Egypt). The Regiment was disbanded in Dec 1944 and I was retrained (in Italy) by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Finally, I served as Loader/Op with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (6th Armd.,78th & 56 Div) from Mar 1945 to Dec 1946 (Italy, Austria, Germany) finishing up as Tech Cpl. for "A" Sqdrn.  I was "De-mobbed" in Apr 1947

http://www.blogger.c...947129038825503

#17 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Super Moderators
  • 13,010 posts
  • LocationProvince of Moribund

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Jason I find I can't quite agree with you.
Whilst it is one person's opinion, I really believe that most folks aren't intimidated by the expertise on our forum. ;) As witnessed by the growing membership, the level of help and advice offered here attracts both the beginner and contributor types. I joined here with nothing to offer, I stayed because so many kind folks took the time to help me learn.

I'm also a member of both, admittedly not very long on WW2f, but I did lurk for a while. I just don't have the time to dedicate to both: specifically, my small area of interest doesn't need me to be there.

For me the title in the original thread is slightly 'out', by just one important word - for "or" substitute "and" - we don't have to choose, but if we do that's fine too.

#18 wtid45

wtid45

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Jason I find I can't quite agree with you.
Whilst it is one person's opinion, I really believe that most folks aren't intimidated by the expertise on our forum. ;) As witnessed by the growing membership, the level of help and advice offered here attracts both the beginner and contributor types. I joined here with nothing to offer, I stayed because so many kind folks took the time to help me learn.

I'm also a member of both, admittedly not very long on WW2f, but I did lurk for a while. I just don't have the time to dedicate to both: specifically, my small area of interest doesn't need me to be there.

For me the title in the original thread is slightly 'out', by just one important word - for "or" substitute "and" - we don't have to choose, but if we do that's fine too.

Diane, you cant quite agree with me:D goodness such a view at WW2F might well start a flame war of some proportions:rolleyes: perhaps what I meant via Michelles post was that it seems that they.............. although I would hope not all have the viewpoint that she expresses, although having read and enjoyed Macrusks posts in the past I dont quite undersatnd why she would fell intimidated here:huh:.For me as one who came from WW2F to the Talk I find this forum much more informative with less arguments:lol: as for the interaction we all interact fine dont we I mean Im always getting sweet Pms & visitor messages from certain people ;)

#19 Fireman

Fireman

Discharged

• Banned
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

I spend enough time on this site as it is. Sometimes I think my life is drifting away!!!!!!!! Must get out and play with the cats more often, sod the computer.

#20 ADM199

ADM199

• Registered Users
  • 930 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

But we do have two years more to discuss.

#21 marcus69x

marcus69x

I love WW2 meah!!!

• Registered Users
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Why two years?

#22 wtid45

wtid45

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

Why two years?

WW2 commenced for GB in 1939 Yanks turned up in 1941;)

#23 marcus69x

marcus69x

I love WW2 meah!!!

• Registered Users
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

:lol:, ok.

#24 ADM199

ADM199

• Registered Users
  • 930 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Almost 1942

#25 WhiskeyGolf

WhiskeyGolf

• Registered Users
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Until this thread I was unaware of the other site, and joined WW2Talk when it came up on one of my research "googles". I still haven't looked at the other site because I enjoy this one too much - the serious side as well as the humourous :blink:
I joined feeling like I had nothing to offer, but curious to read what people had to say about WW2. I am now learning more than I ever thought I would, and enjoying what I am learning (dropped out of history at school because the teacher used to put me to sleep!)
I also like the friendly and welcoming feel of this site - so I guess you lot are stuck with me! :D

#26 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Attached File  Moan_groan_inc_TITLE.jpg   21.59K   41 downloads

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#27 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Old Hickory Recon

• Registered Users
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

We figured you Limeys could easily handle the situation without our help...again. Apparently we were mistaken. :P:lol:

Edited by Slipdigit, 06 August 2010 - 11:25 PM.

Warmest Regards,
Jeff

#28 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

Banter apart, WW2F is a great forum, full of good people with an immense reserve of knowledge. In the past I myself was a frequent user, but it was all becoming so vast that I decided to confine myself to a smaller forum with traffic that I could handle :)

#29 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Old Hickory Recon

• Registered Users
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

Banter apart, WW2F is a great forum, full of good people with an immense reserve of knowledge. In the past I myself was a frequent user, but it was all becoming so vast that I decided to confine myself to a smaller forum with traffic that I could handle :)

Weenie :lol:

Warmest Regards,
Jeff

#30 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

Diane, you cant quite agree with me:D goodness such a view at WW2F might well start a flame war of some proportions:rolleyes: perhaps what I meant via Michelles post was that it seems that they.............. although I would hope not all have the viewpoint that she expresses, although having read and enjoyed Macrusks posts in the past I dont quite undersatnd why she would fell intimidated here:huh:.For me as one who came from WW2F to the Talk I find this forum much more informative with less arguments:lol: as for the interaction we all interact fine dont we I mean Im always getting sweet Pms & visitor messages from certain people ;)

How very ironic that of the many posts on this site, I should find the one where I get quoted from the other site!!!:D

Perhaps I should add that as others stated, available time becomes an issue - as well as areas in which my expertise or skills can be helpful -have also affected the Forum of choice. RE inimidation, perhaps I should have qualified that in the time I've had available to spend here, the threads in which I looked, there was little new or different I could have contributed to the conversation.

At WW2F, I contribute most in the genealogical or information requests by finding multiple internet links - sometime ones I have and sometimes once I find for them, which gives me the opportunity to learn something new. It probably does come down to where one first starts, with whom one associates, and the time available. I still miss those who have migrated permanently or who rarely post any more at WW2F....

Glad to know I'm welcome either place.
Regards, Michelle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users