• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jack johnson

jack johnson

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi, My name is Jack Johnson i served on L sub gun at the battle of Hondegem if any one requires information please contact me .
The map posted by drew5233 is incorrect L sub was located on corner of the church to the left of where K gun is shown on the map . K gun was actually located at the top end of the church where the wireless cars are shown. there were not two L guns the one shown on the map on the cassel road was not there

#2 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to the forum Jack.

#3 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi Jack and welcome to the forum.....I believe I emailed your son a few weeks ago.

Regarding L gun I believe the map is slightly unclear. Its my understanding that it is the same gun and was moved along the road as the battle developed?

I am in the process of writing an article on this battle but I'm waiting for a French Historian who I was put incontact with to get back to me regarding some questions I asked him.

I wonder if you would be willing to answer some if I post them on here for you?

Once again welcome Jack.

Regards
Andy

#4 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

The Hondeghem thread has been a bit of a mecca for K Battery's extended family but a participant is something else again. Welcome to the forum, Jack.

I've tweaked the map in line with your post. I hope I've interpreted it correctly? (Edit: should K Sub be below the wireless cars?)

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31603&stc=1&d=1279224350

ORIGINAL VERSION below for comparison:
Posted Image

We are very lucky in having other veteran members on the forum who 'tell it as it was', but none from 1940 as far as I know (I'm relatively new here). I am very interested in hearing more about Hondeghem, and I don't think I will be the only one.

Andrew

Attached Files

Edited by idler, 15 July 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#5 jack johnson

jack johnson

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hi. Andy
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier the new gun positions are better but I do not know the exact placement of K gun , after we were placed in our postion we had no knowledge of where the other guns were actually placed . I would be happy to help with your questions on the forum
Regards
Jack Lsub

#6 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Jack
Welcome to the forum, your knowledge is already being used I see

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#7 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi Jack and thanks for your very kind offer of help and here are some questions I hope you maybe able to help me with:

1. I understand from documents (The Regiments War Diaries) the Germans were first observed from the Church Tower in Hondeghem. Do you know who was in the Church Tower when the Germans were spotted?

2. I have a map of Hondeghem that first appeared in The Daily Telegraph in 1940 which marks the positions of 5 RHA and 2nd Searchlight Regiment. The only name that is mentioned on the map is a Gunner Perry, he is marked as being in a building with a anti-tank rifle and a bren gun near J-guns location. Do you know of him or what he did during the battle? I suspect he must have done something quite significant to be the only soldier to be mentioned by name on the map.

3. On the same map it has has an arrow marking 'German Ditched Lorries' which is on the road leading to the L-Guns position on the original map, I've looked at this area in some detail and there is a pond/stream around a large house and I suspect the lorries were ditched in it.. Do you know what happend here to cause the lorries to be ditched?

4. Do you have any details regarding what the 2nd Searchlight Regiment was doing? I believe there was around 80 men and one officer in Hondeghem. I have the units war diaries and there is nothing of note written in them regarding this battle.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide regarding the above questions.

Regards
Andy

#8 jack johnson

jack johnson

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hi. Andy
I do not know who was in the tower in Hondeghem. There was a searchlight party and soldiers in the church at St Silverstre who fired on us as we entered the village mistaking us for Germans . I do not have any details on the searchlight regiment i am unable to remember anything on the ditched lorries as i never saw any german vehicles
Regards
Jack

#9 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi Jack thanks for getting back to me.

Just to exapand of what you said ref Saint Sylvestre.

I was under the impression there was Germans in the vacinity of the town square near the church and there was a bayonet charge made on the left of the church where the old cemetery was towards the Germans on the otherside of the cemetery. Did the Germans arrive in the town after the 2nd Searchlight Regiment?

Did you know a Gunner Perry?

Regards
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users