Welcome to The Lost Battlefield

~A

Cake?

#2 MyOldDad

MyOldDad

• Registered Users
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Wow, what an amazing find. It will be really interesting to follow developments on this one!
Tom.

#3 Oldman

Oldman

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

What a find!
It looks fantastic lets hope it stays as it is and not plundered by the bounty hunters looking to make a quick profit.

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"

#4 von Poop

von Poop

Adaministrator

• Idi Admin
  • 12,094 posts
  • LocationThe Abbey of Thelema

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Aussie TV report on the site:
Sunday Night Channel 7 Official Site - Yahoo!7 TV
(With thanks to 'vonbond' on WW2F)

I'm hopeless on this part of the war, I wonder if Geoff's Engine could be used to ID these 5 missing Aussies known to have been killed there?

Edited by von Poop, 08 June 2010 - 08:19 PM.
merged 2 posts

Cake?

#5 Owen

Owen

Immoderator

• Super Moderators
  • 18,108 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Another reminder of how it truely was a 'world' war.

If you have any questions about the forum don't ask me, ask Adam - von Poop

#6 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Ubique

• Super Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUK/France

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Interesting stuff.

"The only way you get out of infantry is on a stretcher or six feet under..."

Battlefields of WW2
: The Guide to visiting WW2 Battlefields.

www.ww2battlefields.com

#7 andy007

andy007

• Registered Users
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

Very interesting stuff, pretty amazed when I saw it online yesterday. From the look of things this is their website PNG Lost battlefield
Cheers,
Andy

#8 ww2ni

ww2ni

• Registered Users
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

I find this rather sad.
It goes a long way to illustrate the forgotten war.

I remember that on a few occasions during the 1970's there would be a news report of someone finding an old Japanese soldier on some lonely island who thought the war was still on!

These men deserve a proper ceremony.
http://www.ww2ni.webs.com - History within your grasp!

#9 Oggie2620

Oggie2620

• Registered Users
  • 638 posts
  • LocationBury St Edmunds

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Have asked UKTV to consider this for their freeview channel but courtesy of Andy on cfww2:

The lost battlefield of Kokoda
The ads for "Sunday Night" (a 60 Minutes-style of show on a rival network) were what caught my eye. Words to the effect of "68 years lost" and "re-write Australian history" etc were typical but it was the 68 years that got me as I came up with 1942 and couldn't pick what might have been found. The Montevideo Maru popped into my head but the timing, of course, wasn't right. I also thought it might be something about the Centaur but didn't think that it would be a timely report.

So I was pleasantly surprised to watch a decent report on what you find below. I found it quite moving in parts and was also amazed at what remains in situ since the conflict. The transcript for the story is not available yet but I'll post it when it is. First, a little background:

Welcome to The Lost Battlefield

The Battle of Eora Creek

Eora Creek during the Japanese withdrawal and Australian advance was the site of the single biggest battle of the Kokoda campaign fought in the Owen Stanley Range. More Australian soldiers (79) lost their lives in this battle than in any other single battle in the mountains.

The battle commenced on 22 October, 1942 continuing for four days and nights. The Australian 16th Brigade, including the 2/1st, the 2/2nd and the 2/3rd battalions, only recently committed to battle, were involved in appalling conditions.

The Japanese held the high ridge over the Eora Creek Gorge, giving them a significant geographical advantage against the Australians. Adding to the physical advantage was the fact that the Japanese had established well-positioned mountain gun and machine gun holdings. Australian officers and soldiers had recorded that the Japanese had sited an “excellent” defensive position, with only one critical flaw.

Despite the superior locations held by the Japanese, they had neglected to position themselves at the highest ground point in the area, positioning themselves around the only water on the ridge – this allowed the Australians to get above them, ultimately leading to success.

On 29 October, 1942 the Australian troops were unopposed. An official Australian count of the enemy found that the bodies of 69 enemy soldiers were found, although it is widely thought that many more enemy soldiers were unaccounted for. The Australian toll came to 79 dead and 145 wounded. Of the 79 dead, five Australians at the Battle of Eora Creek were declared missing presumed killed in action.
The TV show link at present:

Lost Battlefield - Yahoo!7 TV

Lost Battlefield by Captain Brian Freeman

I’ve personally led well over 35 treks across Kokoda and in the past 10 years, in treks alone, I’ve spent very close to a full year on Kokoda.

I was involved with planning the first Anzac Day Service on Brigade Hill and then planned, organised and ran the Isurava Memorial Anzac Day Service in 2004, 2005 and 2006. I have led Kokoda programs for the likes of the Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, Joe Hockey, Mal Brough, Lachlan Murdoch, John Singleton, Geoff Dixon, Mal Meninga, Allan Border, Vicki Wilson and the Hawthorn Football Club.

In 2005 I set the world record for the fastest one way, unsupported, self-navigated crossing of Kokoda in 24 hours and 59 minutes.

Over the years I’ve formed a unique bond with the Alola Village. This stems from my relationship with the late Eddie Elave, who was my head guide and friend for eight years or so before he passed away. I’ve also worked closely with Eddie’s eldest son Kila Elave who is now my head guide.

My friendship with the Alola people has included contributing money to the building of their guest house, school and church; flying sick children from the village to hospital; and ensuring Eddie returned home to be buried when he died suddenly in Port Moresby.

Kila Elave revealed the secret of The Lost Battlefield to me which has remained a secret to all but the Alola people since October 29, 1942. I am deeply honoured that Kila and the people of Alola Village trusted me with the location.

The site of the Lost Battlefield is a hunting ground for the village, but the villagers have avoided the site because of their deep beliefs that the spirits of those who died there still inhabit the site.

On our inaugural trek to the ‘Lost Battlefield’ in April this year, we were hoping to find the remnants of a make-shift Japanese hospital and, potentially, relics of guns and ammunition. I never anticipated that we would find war dead.

As soon as I realised that Japanese and, potentially, Australian soldiers were buried at the site, I discussed with the villagers the need for those men to be identified and returned home. The villagers understood completely and offered their assistance.

Seventy nine Australians and 69 Japanese died at the ‘Lost Battlefield.’ The bodies of five Australians and dozens of Japanese soldiers were never found and are currently listed as ‘Missing Presumed Killed in Action.’ Our hope is that we have found those fallen soldiers, that they can be identified and returned to their families for appropriate burial.

The ‘Lost Battlefield’ is remarkable because it is a living museum to a battle that was fought over four days and four nights almost 68 years ago. The Lost Battlefield Trust has been formed with the intent to reinstate and preserve ‘The Lost Battlefield’ and ‘The Japanese Hospital’ as close as possible to the state the sites were in on October 29, 1942.

The Trust is determined to maintain the pristine “Living Museum” with weapons and surgical equipment where they were last fired or used; defensive pits and track plans as they were last operated; ordinance where it was discharged and for the soldiers, recovered from the site, their final resting place.

The Lost Battlefield Trust will be privately funded by the trustees and through private philanthropy. Donations can be made through Welcome to The Lost Battlefield

The overarching objectives for the Lost Battlefield Trust are to improve the health, living conditions and employment prospects for the Alola villagers and to re-instate the site in dedication to the Australians and Japanese soldiers who fought and fell there during 1942.

From here, we will continue to work with the Alola village and the respective Governments to preserve the site in its current pristine condition. Our priority is to identify and repatriate the fallen soldiers and to honour their memory by ensuring all other elements remain intact and untouched.

The site of the ‘Lost Battlefield’ is owned by the Alola villagers and they will have the sole guiding rights to the site. I understand that there will be considerable interest from people wishing to visit this historic location. However, until all the bodies have been repatriated by their respective Governments; no groups will be permitted to trek to ‘The Lost Battlefield.’

This short term restriction on access will ensure the fallen soldiers are identified and returned to their families as soon as possible. During this time expert opinion will be sought on how best to ensure the ’Lost Battlefield’ is preserved for future generations.

On Monday the 8th June I’ll be joined by adventurer David Moffatt, world champion endurance paddling champion John Jacoby, and triathlete Chris Bradford on a unique journey to The Lost Battlefield.

Our pilgrimage encompasses mountain biking 880km from Cape Tribulation in North Queensland to the tip of Cape York, paddling 240km to Papua New Guinea, then hiking the 96km Kokoda Trail from Ower’s Corner to Kokoda via The Lost Battlefield.
The photo at the above link is of retired General Peter Cosgrove (former ADF chief and the bloke who led INTERFET into East Timor), Brian Freeman and the presenter Mike Munro.

I am really impressed that there are moves to preserve the battlefield as it is. A good thing it is quite remote although with the numbers who do the track these days I have to wonder how 'untouched' it will stay. Might be a good thing for CF to donate to one day - preserving the history of those forgotten or previously forgotten.

#10 Patricel

Patricel

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Did you hear about this ,
Welcome to The Lost Battlefield | Battle of Eora Creek, Eora Track, Alola Village, Kokoda, Papua New Guinea

I have this information recently ...

#11 sol

sol

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

Did you hear about this ,
Welcome to The Lost Battlefield | Battle of Eora Creek, Eora Track, Alola Village, Kokoda, Papua New Guinea

I have this information recently ...

Nice site Patrice, thanks

'The position as I see it at present could not possibly be worse and therefore inevitably must get better.'

Colonel Norman Eustace DSO,
OC 2/5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force), Ningthoukhong, 12th June 1944

#12 spider

spider

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

WE WANT YOU!

If you're a relative of one of the five men missing from the Lost Battlefield, SUNDAY NIGHT would love to hear from you.

There are five men whose remains are not accounted for and who died in the Eora Creek area on the Kokoda Track on the key dates of the battle, October 27 and 28, 1942.

WE WANT YOU! - Yahoo!7 TV

Sunday Night Channel 7 Official Site - Yahoo!7 TV

Spider
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Sig Hector Warnes 2/11 Batt and 6th Div Sigs (2nd AIF) - Served: 16/04/1940 - 31/07/1943
Cpl Ivor J Warnes RAAF - Served: 06/11/1939 - 23/11/1944

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users