#1 Mike L

Mike L

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationHornchurch, Essex

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

2 questions for you clever people here:

1. Have seen on the 'HMS Jervis Bay casualty' thread that RN service nubbers starting with C were 'signed up'? at Chatham. I have several lists related to research on my Uncle (PO/MM Martin Long C/MX 126648) where other sailors have D and P prefixes. Would it be a reasonable guess that these were Devonport and Portsmouth based? Was it purely random the bases you were sent to on call-up? (Martin was from Preston).

2. My Uncles service record shows:

Entered service HMS Glendower (Phllheli, Wales) 30th June 1942 as Ordinary Seaman.

HMS Victory (Portsmouth Depot) from 26th August 1942.

HMS Shrapnel (Bournemouth) from 26th September 1942.

HMS Victory from 27th March 1943.

HMS Pembroke (Chatham Depot) from 3rd April 1943.

HMS Dinosaur (Troon) from 17th July 1943.

HMLCT 488 from 1st September 1943 with Combined Operations Unit.

HMLCT 488 sank on 18th October 1944 with loss of 7 crew (including my Uncle). He is listed on Chatham Memorial.

Given the above, and that he signed on as O/S and was a PO/MM (Petty Officer Motor Mechanic) when he died,
a) Where would he have done the Motor Mech training?
B) At some point during his service he visited both the US and Bermuda (we have a Bermuda postcard and a New York Services club brochure/menu) and my Father remembers him coming home on leave at some point with bananas - the first my Father ever saw! Was it usual for a sailor, given the above postings, to have travelled this far?
c) His service number is considerably lower than most of the other casualties, who largely had numbers starting with 3, 5 and 6. Is this purely based on sign-up date? (some of the higher numbers were Wiremen, Leading Wiremen and Telegraphists, so surely had quite extensive training).

Enough questions for now, thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

If anyone is interested I will post some details of his service/circumstances of death.

Best regards,

Mike L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users