64 replies to this topic

#1 ramacal

ramacal

336/102 LAA Regiment (7 Lincolns), RA

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

This is a final reminder if you require Headstone photos in the following Cemeteries. (I already have requests from various members and you know who you are).

Belgium

Geel
Geel Stelen
Leopoldsburg

Netherlands

Bergen-op-Zoom (Both Commonwealth & Canadian Cemeteries).

Please get your requests to me by this evening please. I depart in the wee small hours tomorrow.

I am lucky to be meeting up with a local Belgium historian tomorrow and will be a guest of his "On the Warpath" historical group. Apparently there will be veterans attending and my Sister and I will be on a coach with them. One may even be staying at the same B&B as well.

We will be at events in the Rijkesvorsel Bridgehead area and will visit Merksplas Colonie where Cpl John Harper of the Hallamshires won his VC and Baarle Nassau for the dedication of a monument for victims of the V1 Rocket..

There are other things happening that are non Market Garden related this weekend and remember that they are just as important and should not be forgotten.:poppy:

#2 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Ubique

• Super Moderators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK/France

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Sounds interesting - look forward to a full report.

"The only way you get out of infantry is on a stretcher or six feet under..."

Battlefields of WW2
: The Guide to visiting WW2 Battlefields.

www.ww2battlefields.com

#3 Jerome

Jerome

• Registered Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hi, I have 1 West Indian/Caribbean connection at bergen op zoom and would appreciate a photo:

LANE, JOHN NAPIER Initials: Rank: Brigadier Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Artillery Secondary Unit Text: attd. H.Q. 4th Cdn. Armd. Div. Age: 35 Date of Death: 10/11/1944 Awards: D S O Additional information: Son of Henry Napier Lane and Grace Lane; husband of Marguerite Louise Lane, of Somerset, Bermuda. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 10. F. 1. Cemetery:BERGEN-OP-ZOOM CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY, Netherlands

Many thanks,
Jerome

#4 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Jerome.

No problem. have added your name to my list.

Regards - Robert

#5 AndyBaldEagle

AndyBaldEagle

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Robert

Have a fantastic time and thanks in advance for my chaps at Leopoldsburg!

Plenty of other (non headstone) pics too please,

Regards

Andy
In proud memory of

Lieutenant James Henry Woods 1st Airlanding Light Regiment
Killed in Action at Oosterbeek Arnhem 25th September 1944

Lieutenant William Stewart Donaldson 156th Battalion, Parachute Regiment
Killed in Action at Oosterbeek Arnhem 21st September 1944

Sergeant John Burge Glider Pilot Regiment
Killed in Action at Oosterbeek Arnhem 25th-26th September 1944

Corporal John Walter Bentley 12th Battalion, Parachute Regiment
Killed in Action on the Rhine 24th March 1945

LEST WE FORGET

'They are free-yes-but not entirely free; for they have a master, and that master is Law, which they fear much more than your subjects fear you. Whatever this master commands, they do; and his command never varies: it is never to retreat in battle, however great the odds, but always to stand firm, and to conquer or die'
(from The Peloponesian War?- Herodotus 490-425BC )

#6 dbf

dbf

Captionless

• Super Moderators
  • 12,999 posts
  • LocationProvince of Moribund

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

Have a good time.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

#7 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Many thanks all.

Robert

#8 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

BERGEN OP ZOOM

Jerome

Here is your headstone photo from Bergen op Zoom Canadian Cemetery for John Napier Lane, DSO, plus the plot in which he rests.

MilitaryX - I have e-mailed you the 2 guys you wanted from the same place.

EnglandPhil - Have e-mailed you the 4 guys you wanted from the next door neighbours plus some general views.

Recce Mitch - Will e-mail yours asap as there are 15 and 51HD I've got the 6 you wanted plus general views.

Regards - Robert

Attached Files

#9 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Photos for 51 HD from Bergen op Zoom. If you like them by e-mail, please PM me with your details.

Attached Files

#10 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

BERGEN OP ZOOM - General Views for 51 HD.

Attached Files

#11 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

BERGEN OP ZOOM

Jerome

Here is your headstone photo from Bergen op Zoom Canadian Cemetery for John Napier Lane, DSO, plus the plot in which he rests.

EnglandPhil - Have e-mailed you the 4 guys you wanted from the next door neighbours plus some general views.

Recce Mitch - Will e-mail yours asap as there are 15 and 51HD I've got the 6 you wanted plus general views.

Regards - Robert

Cheers Robert, dont forget to post some details about your week, as Im sure you did more than walk around cemeteries

P

#12 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

I must admit, I don't know where to start. I was careful to write a diary at the end of each day, but it can't capture the experience as I'm sure you already know.

#13 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

BERGEN OP ZOOM

Headstone photos for Recce Mitch.

I also found WALKER, JW of 43 RECCE who was not on my list.

Attached Files

Edited by ramacal, 26 September 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#14 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationFremantle, West Australia

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Robert, Thank you very much for the photos. Trust you had a great trip. Only 2 more cemeteries in Holland to go.

Cheers
Paul

:poppy: In memory of all those of the Recce Regiments who lost their lives in World War 2 :poppy:

#15 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

GEEL (STELEN) CEMETERY, BELGIUM

Headstone Photos for Recce Mitch (Paul)

Here are the 3 guys from 61 Recce Regt.

Phil (EnglandPhil) - I will e-mail your 2 direct.

Attached Files

Edited by ramacal, 26 September 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#16 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

GEEL (STELEN) CEMETERY, BELGIUM.

A few general views of the Cemetery, and a memorial to the 50th Northumbrian Division outside. Standing alongside the memorial is my very knowledgable guide, Francis Huijbrechts of the "On the Warpath" research group.

Attached Files

#17 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:42 AM

Robert, Thank you again for your continuing assistance.

Cheers
Paul

:poppy: In memory of all those of the Recce Regiments who lost their lives in World War 2 :poppy:

#18 militarycross

militarycross

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

BERGEN OP ZOOM

Jerome

Regards - Robert

Colour Me very happy, Robert. Thanks so very much.

phil
:poppy: The face of Sacrifice is a Mother's Face -- streaked with tears.

#19 51highland

51highland

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

Very many thanks for the photo's. Have sent message to you.
51 highland "Don't leave me Sarge" & Keep 'em Moving

Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean

(Friends are good in the day of battle)

Na diobair caraid's a charraid
(Forsake not a friend in the fray)

Cuimhnichibh na suinn nach maireann .
Mairidh an cliu beo gu brath.
(In memory of the Heroes who are no more.
May their Fame live on forever)

#20 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

GEEL CEMETERY, BELGIUM

Recce Mitch (Paul) - Here are your 6 headstone photos. 5 from 49 Recce and 1 from 53 Recce.

Attached Files

#21 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

GEEL CEMETERY, BELGIUM.

General Views of the cemetery. For someone not very interested in WW2, my Sister was very patient with me whilst photographing headstones and completely understood by the end of our trip, the purpose of doing this for myself and other Forum members.

Phil (EnglandPhil) - Have e-mailed your 6 as arranged.

Dbf (Diane) - Will send your 14 IG, 1 SG, 3 WG and 2 CG by disc as arranged.

Andy (Drew5233) - I know you said you did not want Royal Signals guys, but I got you 6 anyway.

Attached Files

Edited by ramacal, 27 September 2009 - 08:35 AM.

#22 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

LEOPOLDSBURG CEMETERY, BELGIUM.

Due to time constraints, I could not get every headstone photo. I completed Sections 1 through 4 (124 Photos) but not Sections 5 through 8 (38 Photos). I hope to go the same time next year and will endeavour to complete the outstanding ones, if they have not already been done by someone else.

Recce Mitch - There are 3 outstanding (WS Gunn, JA Myles & J Evans). Here are the other 14.

Phil (EnglandPhil) - Have e-mailed you your 15 as promised, plus general views.

Attached Files

Edited by ramacal, 27 September 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#23 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,456 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

Robert,

It looks like you have had a very busy time on your trip. Looks like you also had a little sun too.

Very well done.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#24 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Tom

It was a great trip and I'm trying to get the headstone photos sorted before I do anything else.

This is a photo of my Sister and I at Leopoldsburg in front of 2 men from my Dad's Regiment. Lt Cyril Le Rue and Gunner Edwin Warburton were blown up by a mine in Wortel Kolonie on 24 October 1944 whilst operating as Infantry. 49 Infantry Division were very stretched at the time and put Anti Tank and LAA men into the line during an advance. 62 AT, 86 LAA & 102 LAA Regiments were part of the adhoc force (Bob Force) that was put together for this task. There was another called ImpForce, but I don't know the units involved.

Regards - Robert.

Attached Files

#25 Rob Dickers

Rob Dickers

10th MEDIUM REGT RA

• Registered Users
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

:)
Robert
Well done.Great pics, looks like you had a good time in NL.
Very moving picture of you and your sister with the graves of the Regt's men.
Rob

12311726876_74a8350ed7_t.jpgArchive of 10th (R/Fus) Medium Regt RA
from16th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt)

#26 levien

levien

Just a member

• Registered Users
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Tom

49 Infantry Division were very stretched at the time and put Anti Tank and LAA men into the line during an advance. 62 AT, 86 LAA & 102 LAA Regiments were part of the adhoc force (Bob Force) that was put together for this task. There was another called ImpForce, but I don't know the units involved.

Regards - Robert.

Hi Robert,

Couldn't stand getting my Polar Bears (The Polar Bears-Monty's Left Flank by Patrick Delaforce) book from the shelf to try to find something about that Imp Force.
About Bob Force the book says: "Gen. Barker's next composite force was named 'Bob' Force, and was formed to hold a 10 mile front from the north-west of Merxplaas(sic) to Ryckevorsel(sic), commanded by Lt.-Col. 'Bob' Cory, CO of 89th LAA Regiement, plus the recce regiment, two batteries of the Anti-tank regiment and half of the Kensingtons. They acted mainly as infantery, and in their new role they carried out some excellent patrolling."

Can't find anything on Imp Force. There is mentioning of Clark Force.

In the order of Battle during the decribed period the book mentiones only 55th Atk Regt and 89th LAA Regt.

Levien.
Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi.

#27 ramacal

ramacal

• Registered Users
  • 10,137 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for that Levian.

As you say, Lt Col Cory of 89 LAA was the overall commander of Bob Force.

Lt Col NG Thompson of 102 LAA Regt (My Father's unit) was the commander of "A" Sector of Bob Force. A copy of the war diary is attached showing the other units under command.

Lt Col Thompson was actually nearly killed on the night of 24 October 1944. A column of 102 LAA personnel were heading to a school in Wortel Kolonie.

The lead vehicle with a liaison officer of the Belgium White Brigade went over the mines no problem then a Bedford Truck went over and Lt Cyril Le Rue was killed along with his driver Gunner Edwin Warburton (both of 338 Battery). Lt Col Thompson was following behind and his jeep drove into the crater caused by the explosion. The lead vehicle circled across the fields and the column reversed away from the carnage.

Ironically, the day before, an unknown unit exploded another mine killing one individual. The incident was not reported.

Although 102 LAA reported the presence of mines, a man from 62 Anti tank was killed on the 25th.

My guide showed me the spot where it happened and the information of these events came from a German Pioneer soldier he interviewed shortly before his death. (The man was also responsible for the charge which destroyed St CatherineKerk in Hoogstraaten on the 23rd October).

The men were buried in what is now a car park before being interred elsewhere in CWGC cemeteries. A photo of the temporary graves is being sent to me sometime later.

The first photo shows the spot where the incident occurred and the second is where a car park is now built. The 3rd photo is of what is now a prison which was there in 1944. The 4th photo is of the 102 LAA graves at Leopoldsburg. Francis Huijbrechts my guide, said that he obtained permission to check the location before the carpark was built and they found a number of 303 bullets scattered where the graves were located.

This was one of the many things I was lucky to experience during my short stay in Belgium.

Attached Files

Edited by ramacal, 27 September 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#28 patrick1974

patrick1974

We will remember them.

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

In the village of Lonneker very near to my home town there is only one War grave that of a RAF flying officer.Maybe it is of some one's interest so here it is.

Attached Files

:poppy: For The Fallen :poppy:

UBIQUE

#29 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

Robert just finished cataloguing all the photos posted. Again thank you very much.

Cheers
Paul

#30 Rob Dickers

Rob Dickers

10th MEDIUM REGT RA

• Registered Users
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Tom

It was a great trip and I'm trying to get the headstone photos sorted before I do anything else.

This is a photo of my Sister and I at Leopoldsburg in front of 2 men from my Dad's Regiment. Lt Cyril Le Rue and Gunner Edwin Warburton were blown up by a mine in Wortel Kolonie on 24 October 1944 whilst operating as Infantry. 49 Infantry Division were very stretched at the time and put Anti Tank and LAA men into the line during an advance. 62 AT, 86 LAA & 102 LAA Regiments were part of the adhoc force (Bob Force) that was put together for this task. There was another called ImpForce, but I don't know the units involved.

Regards - Robert.

Rob
Have a mention in the diary of "River Force", don't know if they were part of the same formation.
Rob

20th February.
A cloudy day with considerable fog and ground mist.
12.00 A very quiet day, the OP registered several targets to be used for HF. Little information coming in.
18.00 Sitrep received from 49th Div. Regiment took over the 3rd Can Regt RHQ billets, adjacent to our own RHQ to provide more accommodation.
20.15 Captain Holford the rep with 130 Bde. 43rd (W) Div (River Force) returned as not now required having been relieved by the 1st Heavy Regt rep.
Rounds fired 160.

Limited advances only were made during the day. The 2nd Can Div was counter-attacked throughout the day and night by infantry, tanks, and SP guns and the firing carried out by the regiments was mostly defensive.

12311726876_74a8350ed7_t.jpgArchive of 10th (R/Fus) Medium Regt RA
from16th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users