• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hello all.

I’d like to share a few photos from my recent vacation where I visited various places in Germany. I started out in southern Germany, more precisely Berchtesgaden and moved up towards the area around Berlin.

First off, photos from The Eagle’s Nest, Berchtesgaden located on the Kehlstein Mountain. This was Hitler’s alpine retreat where he would invite his prominent guests to impress them with the view of the surrounding mountains. Built by Martin Bormann for Hitler’s 50th birthday the house is located 1834 meters above sealevel and in order to get up there you have to make your way up to Obersalzberg and take a special constructed bus further up which leads to the famous gold plated elevator which will lead you up to the Eagle’s Nest.

Jakob

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

#2 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Nearby Obersalzberg the Hotel Turken lies which was used as an SS officers mess and guardhouse.
Below the hotel you are able to enter the airraid shelters which was connected between Hitler’s berghof house, Bormann’s house and a smaller access tunnel leading behind the hotel to the Modelhaus basement.
When the Americans moved into the tunnels on the 4th may 1945 they didn’t know if the shelters were defended. On the third and fourth photos you can see how the mg nest has been blown away.

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

"...We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if you will, use us as your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We only ask this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die..." Lt. Col. Robert Wolverton, 101st Airborne

#3 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Right below the Hotel Turken a path leads to the site where Hitler’s Berghof was located before it was initially bombed and later set on fire by the SS.

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

#4 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

In the town of Berchtesgaden I found various war memorials.

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

#5 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Moving towards Berlin I visited the German-Russian museum Karlshorst-Berlin.
On 8 May 1945, Field Marshall Keitel signed the unconditional surrender of the German armed forces here in what had been a German army engineers’ school and later became the headquarters of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany.

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

#6 Jakob Kjaersgaard

Jakob Kjaersgaard

• Registered Users
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Finally, I visited Oranienburg and the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, which perhaps was primarily known for Operation Bernhard, the counterfeiting plot.

I’m sure Tom could tell a lot more about this place :).

Attached Files

Regards,
Jakob

#7 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,456 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Jakob,

Thanks for the wonderful photographs of your trip. Great to see and brings back memories.

Regards
Tom
Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#8 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Ubique

• Super Moderators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK/France

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

"The only way you get out of infantry is on a stretcher or six feet under..."

Battlefields of WW2
: The Guide to visiting WW2 Battlefields.

www.ww2battlefields.com

#9 cash_13

cash_13

• Registered Users
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Many thanks, I always get confuse with the different pictures of the Obersalzberg

Because they always say this is the view that hitler had etc......then they show a pic of the big windows.....next you see a lump of concrete and a few trees saying thats all that is left
Family Cyril Claude Phillips Leading Stoker HMS Warspite

Grand Father Cyril George Pickford Private Royal Engineers

Great Grand Father George Pickford Private Royal Engineers

Great Uncle Harold Pickford Private Royal Army Service Corp

Grand Father Thomas Finney Seaman HMS Ramillies

Wifes Great Grandfather Major Charles Spurling

#10 Kieron Hill

Kieron Hill

• Registered Users
  • 768 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

Fantastic photos thanks for sharing, looks
like you had a great trip

#11 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Kehlstein....brings back so many memories, great pictures Jakob, fantastic pics of Karlshorst too. I enjoyed the museum there.

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#12 Owen

Owen

• Super Moderators
  • 18,965 posts
  • LocationUnder the stairs

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Great photos, cheers

#13 Recce_Mitch

Recce_Mitch

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationFremantle, West Australia

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for sharing

Cheers
Paul

:poppy: In memory of all those of the Recce Regiments who lost their lives in World War 2 :poppy:

#14 Pike

Pike

• Registered Users
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

excellent photos.

#15 Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Great pics!

#16 Drew5233

Drew5233

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Cheers for the heads up Jakob....Great pictures matey.

#17 ww2ni

ww2ni

• Registered Users
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

EXCELLENT - Its great to see pictures loke this.
Thanks very much for sharing them with us.
http://www.ww2ni.webs.com - History within your grasp!

#18 jspitery

jspitery

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Great pictures! It's my dream to make it to Germany some day and visit all these historic places and reconnect with my mothers family. It looks amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users