• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DianBree

DianBree

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

HI everyone. I am new here and hopefully I am using this forum correctly...never used a forum/blog before. However, I am researching
my mothers time spent at a labour camp called EHINGEN in Ulm. As a Pole, she was taken about 1943. I was able to get from ITS a microfilm copy of the list of 'prisioners' held at Ehingen between 1939-1945. Does anyone know any specifics about Ehingen - I believe Mom was an agricultural worker. There were only 80 people listed on 'the roster' I received from ITS.
Also I know my mother left Europe on the SS Ernie Pyle Out of 'Bremerhaven' ? on June2 1948... anyone out there onboard? THX

#2 Smudger Jnr

Smudger Jnr

Our Man in Berlin

• Registered Users
  • 9,599 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

DianBree,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have not heard of that camp but there were many situated in Germany and from what I have read there were more than 10,000,000 forced labourers transported to Germany during the war.
This was mainly to fill the void left by the men to go fighting.

I am about to sign off now, but will try and find something out for you if I can and post tomorrow.

Try these links
Slave Labor D-G

Polish people in German labor camps during WW2

The Labor Camps

Regards
Tom

Edited by Smudger Jnr, 31 March 2009 - 08:53 AM.
Another link added

Reconnaissance Corps - Only the enemy in front.

#3 DianBree

DianBree

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

TO: Smudger Jnr
SUBJECT: ERNIE PYLE 1948
Thanks for your reply. I was able to get a list of the workers at Ehingen, I wanted to know what kind of work my mother had to do. What I have learned is that she didn't have it so bad,,,growing food for the soldiers. I have foun Ehingen on a map.
So I guess I am pretty well set with Ehingen,
Wondering now about a passenger list for the SS Ernie Pyle on June 2, 1948. Does anyone out there know the best way to get a passenger list ? I know they left Bremerhaven, onto England, Canada and then the Port of New York City. MANY THANKS Dian Dutcher - Binghamton NY

#4 ramacal

ramacal

336/102 LAA Regiment (7 Lincolns), RA

• Registered Users
  • 10,222 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hello Dianbree

I found a copy of a passenger manifest for the SS Ernie Pyle for aliens arriving in New York from January 1947. I thought you might like to see an example of what one looks like. The route looks to have been one regularly taken to take dispalced people to a new life in America.

SS Ernie Pyle Passenger Manifest - January 3, 1947 - S291 - Source Information - PhpGedView

It looks as though the records are held in your own country's National Archives and I hope that this gives you a pointer as to where to continue your search and what type of records to look for. It also in most cases gives a onward destination upon arrival in New York.

Keep us posted on your progress. It would be interesting to know what you find.

Good luck - Robert

TAC14-VEHICLEMARKINGS_zpsfecb8ddc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users